• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny. People should be laughing at this specific situation. EGS paid to fund the development of a game that will be available on Steam before it's even out of Early Access.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got it, thank you for the courtesy. As for the message it sends, well I think that the noise surrounding EGS is clear enough for them to know what's what, especially in light of their previous releases. They have all the data they need to draw the right conclusions, in my opinion. This isn't their first rodeo.

Thank you for the uninformed and needless condescension!
Uninformed in what way? If you don't want to buy it simply because it was at one time exclusive to EGS, that's exactly what I'm speaking on, and there's nothing to 'inform' that in the first place - either you fall into that category or you don't. You're not punishing Epic, or anyone else, by not buying the game, except for yourself (assuming you wanted it in the first place, which if not makes the entire point a farce to begin with).

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the message sent is that it can be interpreted in many ways.
1. Hades bombs on Steam can have two meanings:
- "We did well to take the deal, because otherwise our game would've bombed as evidenced here"
- "We did wrong to take the deal, because we scared off our customers"

2. Hades sell well on Steam can also have two meanings:
- '"We did well to take the deal because in the end we made more money as people still buy the game"
- "We did wrong to take the deal because our audience was on Steam since the begining and we might have been more successful if we did since a year ago"

There's really no winning if you want to punish developers and publishers for being unprincipled or whatever. My feeling is that they will take money if it's being offered to them because that's their security for the next 6/12/18 months or whatever.

However, what we do know 100% for sure is that Epic wants to prove games will sell on their store, because at some point they need to stop paying for these exclusives and actually start turning a profit on EGS. If games that have only been on EGS don't sell, but then succeed on Steam, that pretty much blows their plans out of the water, because Epic wants developers to eventually avoid Steam without them having to pay for exclusivity. They're relying on their barebones 88/12 split to be preferential enough for developers to avoid any other store.

In short, Epic are basically buying themselves a head start on sales here, and if they still lose then that's damning. When you think of it like that, they'd rather you not buy the games at all than wait a year for it to come to other platforms.

So if I want a game that went exclusive to EGS then I'll be supporting them after they arrive on GOG or Steam, because I know voting with my wallet against developers who sign exclusivity deals won't stop others from signing deals and I'll just be cutting my nose to spite my face. The console manufacturers will still do them, and even if EGS goes away in the PC space there will inevitably be another band of yahoos a few years down the line talking about the next indie gold rush.

That said, I'm not interested in criticising anyone for boycotting developers for their reasons. We all have to make our minds up about who we buy from and why, so if going EGS is a ding against you getting a game after the exclusivity is over, then that's your choice. I just think it's counter-productive if you otherwise would've bought the game on the store/client of your choice.

Last edited:

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Uninformed in what way? If you don't want to buy it simply because it was at one time exclusive to EGS, that's exactly what I'm speaking on, and there's nothing to 'inform' that in the first place - either you fall into that category or you don't. You're not punishing Epic, or anyone else, by not buying the game, except for yourself (assuming you wanted it in the first place, which if not makes the entire point a farce to begin with).

I'll just quote myself.

The thing is, if you dislike third-party exclusivity tactics on PC and want to be effective about them dying in a fire, not buying the game at all is the thing to do. That sends the only message developers taking these bags of money care about. That by making this choice they are not getting my sale at all. Else all it does is incite them to take Epic's money and then get all the regular sales a year later.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is interesting how early they announced the Steam version though. 4 months in advance for a game still in EA... I don't know if there's something to read into it.
I believe it's somewhat straight forward: exclusivity deal is over and they could use some additional sales. If anything Supergiant handled it the best out of the bunch: take for instance Phoenix Point dev who aside from breaking their crowdfunding promises, proceeded to initially refuse to provide Steam/GOG keys after the 1 year of exclusivity is over.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll just quote myself.
So in other words, you're being completely illogical - you're sending no message, you're simply not playing the game. Get over it.

Do you skip PC games that were exclusive to a console too? Because the situation isn't any different.

Again, you are literally turning the FF13 meme into reality.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
So in other words, you're being completely illogical - you're sending no message, you're simply not playing the game. Get over it.

Do you skip PC games that were exclusive to a console too? Because the situation isn't any different.

You are incredibly friendly and attentive to what I write, I hope you realize that next time you try to engage and convince someone :).

Good day to you.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The effectiveness of a boycott is not just in the exercising of purchasing power to make a point, but also the communication of that point.

A game failing to sell on Steam in the abstract can mean many things, too many to even list. A game failing to sell on Steam backed by a vocal campaign of users saying exactly why they are not buying it sends a specific message.

"Voting with your wallet" is only ever part of the equation.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't have a beef with SG taking the EGS deal since no promises were broken, they didn't have a Steam page up for advertisement, alphas and such. Though their messaging during EA launch was a bit... off. Still, get that money.

But I still haven't gotten Pyre and Transistor kind of bored me to tears. Loved Bastion though. So I might get Hades once it's 1.0. Who knows.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Can't wait for the PC Gamer article that uses Steamspy numbers to justify the EGS deal.

Having said that, this was probably the least offensive of exclusivity deals done. You can't blame the developers for taking it.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
90% of Steam forums are complete disasters with an overabundance of shitposting. EGS users have had a support forum this whole time through r/HadesTheGame

It's likely accurate to assume that most Steam Community hubs have a horrible signal:noise ratio, but Reddit was essentially the crux of Epic's "We don't need forums because the internet is itself a global forum" argument, too, and yet there are still multiple threads on Ashen's Steam Community hub regarding the actual game itself because players have bought it on EGS, encountered an issue or an unclear situation, and defaulted to the the place they most closely associate with video game discussion.

Rightfully, a lot has been said about how Steam Community hubs are moderated (or rather, how they aren't), but the notion that they're not needed because alternatives exist is, well, demonstrably false.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Please consider that there is a country that blocked Reddit (like mine, maybe there are others but dunno) and thus having reddit as support forum is useless. Discord as support also useless because you can't google a problem and then it gives you a discord post.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It says something that Supergiant released a new game and I had absolutely no idea. This is the first I've ever heard of Hades, but I knew about Transistor and Pyre long before they came out.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
What sort of progression does this game have? I enjoy roguelikes with no progression and roguelites where the progression is "more things added to the pool", but I loathe roguelites that allow you to become permanently stronger. Rogue Legacy and its ilk are miserable to play. As long as Hades doesn't fall into camp C, I'll probably check it out.

I don't have a problem with supporting the devs on Steam when it finally releases there. There's not really any way to push back on large moneyhats, since devs probably shouldn't be refusing them at all. What matters is what devs do after the moneyhats dry up. I want a future where Steam continues to be supported, and if devs find there's a larger audience on Steam even after a year of exclusivity, that sends a strong message that they shouldn't voluntarily release exclusively on EGS.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
What sort of progression does this game have? I enjoy roguelikes with no progression and roguelites where the progression is "more things added to the pool", but I loathe roguelites that allow you to become permanently stronger. Rogue Legacy and its ilk are miserable to play. As long as Hades doesn't fall into camp C, I'll probably check it out.

I don't have a problem with supporting the devs on Steam when it finally releases there. There's not really any way to push back on large moneyhats, since devs probably shouldn't be refusing them at all. What matters is what devs do after the moneyhats dry up. I want a future where Steam continues to be supported, and if devs find there's a larger audience on Steam even after a year of exclusivity, that sends a strong message that they shouldn't voluntarily release exclusively on EGS.
It's definitely camp C. You get permanent currencies that you use on unlocking and then leveling up permanent upgrades between runs.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. As everyone knows Steam is such a monopoly that they are secretly behind all the search engines like Google, Bing, Duckduckgo or Altavista.

Gabe Newell personally keeps stuff of PCGW so people come to Steam for troubleshooting.
it's always monopolies this, gaben that. no! i was just ribbing about having to use another application!

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
One of the replies shares my view. If everyone boycotts Hades, the developer's going to see that the game didn't perform well on Steam. Then the next release will prioritize EGS. Not saying that won't happen anyways if Epic waves money around, but Steam users shouldn't deliberately ignore Hades.

Epic won't fund their next game. Why should they? If Supergiant fails on steam and they see EGS as their only haven, Epic doesn't need to pay anything.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a beef with SG taking the EGS deal since no promises were broken, they didn't have a Steam page up for advertisement, alphas and such. Though their messaging during EA launch was a bit... off. Still, get that money.

But I still haven't gotten Pyre and Transistor kind of bored me to tears. Loved Bastion though. So I might get Hades once it's 1.0. Who knows.
I don't have a beef with them taking the egs deal, it benefited them and I like Supergiant but it doesn't mean I am going to rush out to buy their game.
I believe it's somewhat straight forward: exclusivity deal is over and they could use some additional sales. If anything Supergiant handled it the best out of the bunch: take for instance Phoenix Point dev who aside from breaking their crowdfunding promises, proceeded to initially refuse to provide Steam/GOG keys after the 1 year of exclusivity is over.
I agree they have handled it better than most and they have been straight forward the whole time.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder how much they plan on charging at Steam launch and 1.0 launch. I guess they can play the high game now that they have Epic's backing. It's just going to be tough to convince some people to pay 2x as much as people paid just a few months ago while the game is still in early access. Did that Epic sale force them to raise the price earlier than expected, or was that always in the cards? Launching on Steam at 19.99 (lets say 17.99 with a discount) sounds a lot nicer than a $24.99 Early Access title to me.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I am going to guess that epic will release it free the week it comes on steam ( with coordination approval I assume with the developers ) or the week after just to piss off steam only people lol

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I am going to guess that epic will release it free the week it comes on steam ( with coordination approval I assume with the developers ) or the week after just to piss off steam only people lol

I don't think this is likely because it will undermine the Steam sales and potential revenue for Supergiant. Of course Epic could strike another lucrative deal with them to cover that lost revenue but it would be such a clear slap in the face to the people who waited for the game on Steam and generate bad press so I doubt SG would agree.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I have this purchased on EGS already. Looking forward to playing it...

When it comes out of early access.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I don't think this is likely because it will undermine the Steam sales and potential revenue for Supergiant. Of course Epic could strike another lucrative deal with them to cover that lost revenue but it would be such a clear slap in the face to the people who waited for the game on Steam and generate bad press so I doubt SG would agree.
That's what I am saying. Another deal with them . And those developers won't care since they will think if steam guys didn't buy it when it was at epic . Might as well sell it on steam since they won't get it on epic anyway even if it's free .

I dunno just weird thinking but I wouldn't rule it out .

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
That's what I am saying. Another deal with them . And those developers won't care since they will think if steam guys didn't buy it when it was at epic . Might as well sell it on steam since they won't get it on epic anyway even if it's free .

I dunno just weird thinking but I wouldn't rule it out .

Yep it is totally possible. You've made me scared now lol. Currently I'm planning on buying Hades when it releases on Steam in December and I don't fault SG for taking some Epic cash to ensure their studio thrives. But if they did something like what you're proposing I would not buy the game.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bought this along with WWZ during the EGS Summer Sale (because it's just another launcher) and while it's a pretty good game (the both of them) it really made me realize how much I take Steam for granted.
  • Game is not launching properly, wonder if anyone else has this problem?... no forums to find out.
  • I wonder when the next update is going to release? ..... No info of the sort on the store page.
  • Has to be a better strategy to beat the first boss.... No community guides.
  • Maybe I'll invite some friends for co-op ..... Empty EGS friends list.
  • No problem I'll make some new friends in the games group..... No groups

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Bought this along with WWZ during the EGS Summer Sale (because it's just another launcher) and while it's a pretty good game (the both of them) it really made me realize how much I take Steam for granted.
  • Game is not launching properly, wonder if anyone else has this problem?... no forums to find out.
  • I wonder when the next update is going to release? ..... No info of the sort on the store page.
  • Has to be a better strategy to beat the first boss.... No community guides.
  • Maybe I'll invite some friends for co-op ..... Empty EGS friends list.
  • No problem I'll make some new friends in the games group..... No groups
Try Discord. Also, Hades has the update timer on the main menu, alongside an ingame link to all the latest updates.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Food for thought:

The exclusive period may be over in December but the Steampage is open already and you can wishlist the game.
Any potential Hades EGS customer that prefers Steam and has no problems waiting, will probably buy it on Steam.
There could be a situation, that the guaranteed sales number is still not fulfilled. So it is insanely better for Supergiant if the customers bought the game on Steam.
If there are still, like 5000 to 10000 guarantees open, Supergiant gets nothing from it (because Epic already paid for those units) If those customers buy on Steam instead (or wait for it to release on Steam), they get a whole bunch of money.

Is Epic Ok with that?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
There could be a situation, that the guaranteed sales number is still not fulfilled. So it is insanely better for Supergiant if the customers bought the game on Steam.
If there are still, like 5000 to 10000 guarantees open, Supergiant gets nothing from it (because Epic already paid for those units) If those customers buy on Steam instead (or wait for it to release on Steam), they get a whole bunch of money.

Is Epic Ok with that?
It will always be better for developers for people to buy the non-EGS versions, that's just the weird perverse incentive of guaranteed sales.

Epic must be okay with this, because it's impossible to not foresee.

The only people benefiting from sales on the EGS are Epic, which is a major reason I won't buy things on it because I like to support developers.

Oct 25, 2017
According to an old blog post - https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/hades-pricing-and-the-epic-mega-sale/
- the game launched at $20.
- the game was available on EGS at $10 during the sale.
- the game is now $25.

Personally, I'm going to skip the game. There's plenty of other stuff to do, and that just rubs me up the wrong way.
How did you feel about Shovel Knight going the Treasure Trove route and raising its price?
Heck, EA games rising their prices in general.
Speaking of Supergiant games, is Pyre good?
Hell yeah it is.