• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bump for the diehards
Before the 1st episode airs there will be a short special program shown live on Youtube. It does not appear to be region locked at this time. It will feature Murase Ayumu (Hinata seiyuu) and Ishikawa Kaito (Kageyama seiyuu) as well as BURNOUT SYNDROMES (band composing and performing the OP song for Season 4) discussing past highlights of the show. It is scheduled to begin at 10pm January 10th JST.
It will not feature subtitles.
t1578663000z1.png

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
The two episode Haikyu!! OVAs LAND VS. AIR and The "Path" of the Ball will be made available to Crunchyroll members in the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Finland, Denmark, Turkey, and Latin America.

LIES

0bmq0dU.png

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished watching all 3.

The OVAs rushed through things a bit quickly but they were still a good time. I'll always appreciate getting more Nekoma since they're the most entertaining rival team. Seeing them grow as a team ahead of the nationals was fun and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing more of them when we get there.

I was a little confused about how the selection process worked for who went to the Nationals though. I'm assuming that because there's more teams in their area then more than one team can qualify for Nationals?

EP1 was fantastic. I appreciated that the show just picked right up from where we left off rather than losing most of the episode to recaps.

Love that the rivalry between Hinata & Kageyma as well as the gap between Hinata and those that are just naturally gifted in some way is front and centre. Setting up the Shiratorizawa coach as an antagonist to play off of that idea is just perfect.

Looking forward to seeing all the new characters at the All-Japan training as well the returning characters that are with Hinata.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
IT'S LIKE THE SHOW WAS NEVER GONE FOR 3 YEARS TT_TT

I've missed this series so so soooooo much and to have it back and still fill me with that positive, upbeat energy that only it can... Life is good. Can't wait for Hinata to prove Shiratorizawa's coach wrong.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the OVA's were rough af. Animation super hit and miss.

The S4E01 episode was sublime.
The comedy and writing is still pitch perfect.
It's like falling perfectly into a plush memory foam bed after being away for 3 years.

Hinata is so freaking dumb. Just shows up to camp uninvited because he didn't want to get arrested in Tokyo.
I kinda wanted to see him trying to run with the shinkansen Superman style.
hqdefault.jpg

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It was cool to see more of Nekoma and Fukuroudani, for the first episode itself I like how they built Hinata hubris and determination. He thinking he is at Kageyama or even Tsukki level and then being brought down to earth and the subsequent invasion of the training provided a good punchline but it is his relationship with the trainer of Shiratorizawa that makes the episode, it quickly goes from a fun punchline to major moment that Hinata needs to prove himself. He being the ball boy is also important because, if I remember correctly, it was what that trainer function when he tried to play volley as a kid.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the compilation movies, OVAs, and first episode. The movies were actually worth watching besides just recapping, it added some new scenes that were great. Especially seeing more Aoba Johsai after their loss.

so glad to have more Haikyu. I was thiiiiis close to reading the manga lol

Oct 25, 2017
Land vs Air

So glad to see this done, wish there was more to NekoFuku as just showing like the first set and ending it was odd, still Boku's moment was great and what little awesome moments they showed with Konoha was great. Ultimately, worth reading/rereading the chapters adapted/not adapted for that.

Suguro of Nohebi and Kuro is always fun to see teasing as well as seeing and hearing Suguro and other Nohebi's poking and prodding Lev and Taketora. Shibayama is still precious

YakuKuro was sweet. Always loving backstory scenes. Wish Suguro and Mika got love, like her scene felt so strange there at the end when she wasn't really shown for much of it.

Surprised people didnt like the animation. Bokuto's cross shot was beautiful. That said, I dont recall any of the made for JUMP FESTA ovas/specials to ever be animation showcases, among all jump series.

Oct 25, 2017
Ep1
264805f32ca7118d57eddad1f69cd8fa63bab55c.png
34d55fd529279bd0ded5d2aa5f68e9ba646f2f5b.png

TsukiHina moment both at the start but also at the Miyagi Prefecture Camp was amazing Love these two and love this set of content, was my favorite after the Gym 3 stuff in the previous training miniarc.
6357ecd7f2887fc5d6edc4bdda0dbd1aa1657f7c.gifv

--

Anyway was always glad Hinata was moved to ball boy status and not just freely allowed to participate, would be unfair, though I wish he would considering the Kindaichi Koganegawa Goshiki wanna take him on. (nice that they were fired up while the other folks underestimated Hinata).

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Hinata rolling around learning that Tsuki broke 190cm was a reference to him pushing the diarrhea spot from S2

Or maybe Hinata just rolls around alot

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels weird, I'm not sure what Hinata's purpose is at the camp.
He's already practiced with the top teams in Tokyo.

GykC8mR.jpg

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Feels weird, I'm not sure what Hinata's purpose is at the camp.
He's already practiced with the top teams in Tokyo.

GykC8mR.jpg
It's kind of a continuation of the "greed" Hinata developed at the camp back in season 2. He sees his other teammates climbing up the ladder away from him and is feeling left behind (notably Kageyama - the person in his year bracket he considers the best at the sport). Tsukishima, too. Hinata considers both his rivals and wants to be on the same level playing field as them.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Solid Episode. Was a little disappointed we didn't check in with Kageyama at all, though we did get more of Tendo so I guess it evens out in the end.

Ushiwaka reading Jump for the ads was a highlight.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🎶 The Op and Ed are 👂🐛ing their way into my 🧠

It's kind of a continuation of the "greed" Hinata developed at the camp back in season 2. He sees his other teammates climbing up the ladder away from him and is feeling left behind (notably Kageyama - the person in his year bracket he considers the best at the sport). Tsukishima, too. Hinata considers both his rivals and wants to be on the same level playing field as them.
Yeah, you are right if you think of it from that perspective.
Contrast the utmost praise Kageyama and Tsuki get compared to the punishment Hinata goes through to be able to "attend" a camp.
It's a whole 10 layers of shaming for his greediness. 2 on the phone, 2 in the coaches office, another 4 in 1-on-1 sitdowns, and 2 on the court.
It's so different from how American punishments work.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy moments of a character's existential crisis with recurring flashbacks to things people said about their worth, followed by a cathartic epiphany where the character realizes what they must do. I hope Hinata's is rewarding to watch.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man Haikyuu is such a gift.

Also Burnout syndromes are on a roll, from Dr.Stone opening to this one, so gooood.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Solid Episode. Was a little disappointed we didn't check in with Kageyama at all, though we did get more of Tendo so I guess it evens out in the end.

Ushiwaka reading Jump for the ads was a highlight.
I was sad Tendo was not singing his 🎶 Baki baki ni ore, nani wo? kokoro wo da yo🎶 song
Also no fujikujira, tikachu, or kittychan mention
tumblr_nzx7ni5zAQ1syjocpo3_500.gifv
Z2uidii.png
1O5gg7I.png

Oct 25, 2017

Anime made the whole tone of this content way more er intense than I imagined (the tendrils moment especially), though I guess thats just the anime spending minutes on stuff that can be read rather quickly, then that moment when Hinata was about to cry in front of Tanaka (???) wish there was more time spent on that before jumping to a comedy scene. Oh well.

TsukiHina part was great as well as that HinaShiki moment. Kogane's botched receive was wonderful too.
EOwLrqkX4AAfXjm

Best
EOwN_44XkAE8nal

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Washijo-sensei why you so mean? All Hinata did was knock you out of the Spring tournament.
SinfulSameLeveret-small.gif

hqdefault.jpg

ClumsyMajesticFugu-small.gif

HairyMajorGavial-small.gif

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic episode, might go down as one of my favourites in the whole series. Just some really good development for Hinata that builds off of everything setup throughout the last few seasons. It was fun seeing him slowly start to win over the other people at the training camp as well.

Also I need the S4/OVA OST so badly. All the new songs have been great, as usual.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes we're finally at some of my favorite moments, Hinata learning from watching, and then begging Goshiki n the best way possible, such a pushover, and then getting everyone fired up as he treats receiving as though hes in the middle of the game, both coaches noticing. The best.

I would have at least let Hinata stay the night for this, but, then it is another training opportunity. Also Tsukihina moment, being worried if Tsukki''s eating, then Tsuki feeling like he has to do something whenever Hinata's and lastly the scene.

Omg Im glad they ended on my favorite cliffhanger. omg.

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah this is one of the few times I've found the ost to be good, the overabundance of the composers music in shows has chilled me on it across the board, but here it felt perfect.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even notice the new songs

Had to go back and listen carefully for them, but they are there

They still use a lot of the S1 and S2 stuff

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the other coach articulated Hinata's learning. The idea of going from instinct -> thinking -> intuition is a super relatable concept for anyone that's ever tried to get better at something they had some initial natural talent in. I know I've experienced that in some games I was trying to improve at, where I had decent "base skills" at aiming or reflexes or etc, but it was actually super hard for me to get on top of those and actually put some more thought into my actions. That kind of stuff always resulted in me actively getting worse at whatever it was for a while until the improvement came.

They certainly showed that in this episode with him just outright missing a bunch of stuff as he was trying to do things different. I'd really like it if when he gets into actual games he actually has some trouble implementing stuff and plays worse for awhile, until finally breaking through. That'd be really satisfying.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched any of season four yet, but I did rewatch the first three seasons in preparation, and there's a lot I didn't like about the third season. The Shiratorizawa team was awful. Just no enjoyment from any of the characters associated with that side of the match. And the fact that Tsukishima and Kageyama got invited to training camps but Hinata didn't is laughable. Any actual judge of volleyball ability isn't going to rely solely on height for their measure, and Hinata clearly has gifts that allow him to do stuff that practically no one else else can. I get that it's being used as a device to show Hinata's growth and desire to improve, but it's really laughable in execution.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the reason for Hinata not being picked makes perfect sense. He's nowhere near Kageyama's level so he's not going to be picked for the All Japan training camp and he doesn't meet the requirements for what the Shiratorizawa coach looks for in players, which is reliable strengths. Tsuki is not only naturally really tall but he also showed that he's damn good at blocking in a match against the strongest team in their prefecture and he even shut down one of the best aces in the country.

Meanwhile Hinata's strengths only shine when he's paired with Kageyama and without him Hinata doesn't really bring much to a team. He can't serve, he can't receive and he only clumsy pieced together how to use his strengths to block in the match against Shiratorizawa. It's basically his first year of really playing volleyball and it shows.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the reason for Hinata not being picked makes perfect sense. He's nowhere near Kageyama's level so he's not going to be picked for the All Japan training camp and he doesn't meet the requirements for what the Shiratorizawa coach looks for in players, which is reliable strengths. Tsuki is not only naturally really tall but he also showed that he's damn good at blocking in a match against the strongest team in their prefecture and he even shut down one of the best aces in the country.

Meanwhile Hinata's strengths only shine when he's paired with Kageyama and without him Hinata doesn't really bring much to a team. He can't serve, he can't receive and he only clumsy pieced together how to use his strengths to block in the match against Shiratorizawa. It's basically his first year of really playing volleyball and it shows.

I didn't know the Shiratorizawa coach was responsible for the invitations to the camp with Tsukishima. Like I said, I haven't started Season Four yet. Just through Season Three, it's laughable how absurd it is. He might be raw, but his physical talents shine regardless. He's tireless, his stamina is seemingly endless, and he's the core offensive component of an offensive-minded team that just beat a heavy favorite, and the team is now going to nationals. I don't expect he'd be invited to the national camp with Kageyama, but trying to act like he's not one of the top players in their prefecture is inexplicable.