• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
My hair literally WAS me.

I started losing it early. About age 22. It receded noticeably by age 25. But my girlfriend noticed it right when it happened. And she didn't like it. She told me she didn't mind, but I knew.

I had wavy, golden blonde locks, straight out of a fantasy novel. I took great pride in my hair. I had no idea how to react to losing it. My identity was shattered. What do I do now? Who am I? Am I really so fragile?

I'm in my third decade and not nearly as bald as many of my peers, which I'm thankful for. But that initial experience was something else. I had no idea how to handle it. I cried in the bathroom several times.

I eventually got over it, but it took a LONG ASS time. I'm still not fully accepting of it. I still hope for a miracle cure one day. But people still tell me I'm good looking, which is comforting on a surface level, but I always think they're lying to me.

How have you handled it? Do you want it back?

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I just cut everything when I realized the days of full, non patchy hair were gone forever. That was around about my late 20s.

I have kept my head mostly shaven since and it looks quite nice in combination with a beard. Sometimes I let it grow for a week or two if I feel lazy but I don't think it looks all that appealing like that.

No point dwelling over what cards you have been dealt genetically speaking. Just make the best of what you got. I don't think there is a silver bullet how to deal with it but I feel it just comes down to how willing you are to accept that there is some stuff you can't really change and your ability to compromise.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I shaved it off, keep a beard, and lift weights. I'm blown away by how quickly it went from "oh shit is that a bald spot?" to full on "whoa I'm fucking bald".

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I'm 23 and currently in the "I've begun to notice some recession at the temples and I'm freaking the fuck out " phase

I've seen ads for certain products like ForHims, Keeps, and obviously Rogaine but I've been procrastinating and I'd really like to hear what others here have to say about them.

Anybody tried those, specifically the first two? I realize that procrastination is definitely not something I wanna keep doing with a matter this serious. Am I already dad? ....pls help.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I shaved my head from 18 years old. Starting losing hair up front around 30. It didn't really matter to me, I'm more diligent about shaving my head every single weekend now but otherwise who cares?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm lucky in that I'm in my mid forties and whilst I'm going grey and have a bit of receding hairline, I haven't lost my hair. I've never been particularly fond of my hair but somehow I think I'd struggle with losing it. Lots of men struggle with it and some carry huge chips on their shoulders about it so I think acceptance is key. Even if your hair defined you previously, don't let lack of hair define you by changing your confidence or personality.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm lucky in that I'm in my mid forties and whilst I'm going grey and have a bit of receding hairline, I haven't lost my hair. I've never been particularly fond of my hair but somehow I think I'd struggle with losing it. Lots of men struggle with it and some carry huge chips on their shoulders about it so I think acceptance is key. Even if your hair defined you previously, don't let lack of hair define you by changing your confidence or personality.
Wayyyy easier to deal with earlier. Highly recommended.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
GapCcTN.jpg

This is me now.

Clearly I have no head of hair worth bragging about. But I am not totally bald either.

Rocking the "short" look until I can't anymore.
Dude, you look great!

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GapCcTN.jpg

This is me now.

Clearly I have no head of hair worth bragging about. But I am not totally bald either.

Rocking the "short" look until I can't anymore.
man you are so far from bic territory i can't even tell you. this thread gave me a heart attack. jesus. your hair is fine dude.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
man you are so far from bic territory i can't even tell you. this thread gave me a heart attack. jesus. your hair is fine dude.
Is it though? It used to be so much better. And all of my mom's side's uncles have bald heads. This was me years ago:

I may have gotten in shape and lost weight, but it will never replace the core aspect of my being, my hair...

I feel like I am doomed to be eternally single because of it.

Last edited:

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
You're receding but your hair is generally fine as of now Op. Also looks like you have good beard genes for the future 👍🏻

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Can't tell how serious OP is being. Looks fine.

I'm told I starting showing signs as early as 19. Everybody was too polite to tell me at the time.

Suddenly noticed I had a big ol' balding patch at the tender age of 26.

I just switched from getting #2 buzzcuts to #1s and went about my business. Won't pretend I wasn't a bit bummed, but I'd never done anything fancy with my hair anyway, so... eh.

Oct 26, 2017
Dude, that's an improvement.

My hair is slowly but steadily going away, getting thinner on top. I know I'll end up like my dad so in a year or so I'll just start shaving it. Sucks, but there are many, many worse things you could get with age.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I use minoxidil and ketoconazole 2% shampoo to fight it.

but in the meantime I shave it.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I started lifting weights recently and I'm growing my beard. I never get compliments but recently I've gotten a bunch of people complementing my beard.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I was expecting worse TBH. I had true baldness by the time I was 28.

I started losing mine when I was around 23. I started off being really self-deprecating about it and cracking jokes about it all the time as a defense mechanism of sorts. I got my receding hairline and hair loss at the crown at the same time. By the time it went past thinning into full on baldness, I just kept the hair I had short and started wearing lots of hats. Every man on both my parents side have gone bald. I was expecting it. The only thing shock was how early it started.

I'm fine with it now.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
My type of balding wasn't as good looking as some have. I shave it now. too vain to let it grow that way, to be honest.
I look better bald than with that terrible case of balding.

Would love my old hair back. Damn... hairdressers were drooling around my hair.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been using minox since i was 20 and kept all my hair still. Even got thicker i just use it once daily and put it all over my scalp. Not taking the risk with a bald uncle and grandfather.

Recent pic 🤷‍♂️
OBPGh2T.jpg

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
In the end, you will just cut it short. Depends on when you want to. A front shot makes things look better. Take pictures of the sides if you want the real thing.

thedas

Jul 25, 2018
What do you guys think of people who say "embrace your baldness" ? Genuinely curious

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
started noticing thinning ten years ago, went to the dermatologist right away and got prescribed on Propecia.

success story, aside from the temples still a full head of hair... though i'm assuming genetics will win out in the end

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
I had a receding hairline in my late twenties but now (at 31) it also grows much thinner on the top than the sides. I use clippers once a week (no guard), I have an odd shaped head and don't feel comfortable being completely shaved. I have been complemented on the look though.

I've always kept my hair pretty short, so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. Hair loss solutions just delay the inevitable.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Started losing hair at 18, been shaving it ever since. It sucks every time i see someone with a cool hair cut, but i've mostly gotten over it. Weight lifting was a coping mechanism for me. I was 230 lbs with a max bench press of 175, now i'm 180 lbs with a max bench of 255. So i look dramatically better despite having no hair.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I started taking finasteride and now it's growing back. I honestly didn't believe it would work (at least not with the results that I was expecting) and yet here I am.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I have been using Minoxidil for several months. Can't know if it works, but I don't intend on stopping. My hair still looks pretty good, imo. That said, I don't think receding hair lines are unattractive.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it though? It used to be so much better. And all of my mom's side's uncles have bald heads. This was me years ago:

SFitCVR.jpg

I may have gotten in shape and lost weight, but it will never replace the core aspect of my being, my hair...

I feel like I am doomed to be eternally single because of it.
You look better now

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I got a hair transplant.
I had a receding hairline just like yours. I now have my hair back and feel confident.
You'll get a lot of shave it off replies which is definitely an option but don't let them make you think it's the only option.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck those people... I was one of those who heard this and said, "never."

I will never accept being hairless or hair-handicapped. Never say "this is who I am now..." it is a disease. A physical disease. Baldness ain't you.

Ok, i'm trying to be sympathetic here because hair loss sucks, but reading the OP lead me to believe that it was posted by a bald person, and you're not bald. To give you some context, this is how much hair i have.

There's no treatment for this, my hair is gone, it would be extremely unhealthy for me to dwell on it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Shaved my head when I was 20, been doing it since. I'm okay with the look (I've been told I have a nice shape of skull), but you know I'd like to have options. Alas...

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Ok, i'm trying to be sympathetic here because hair loss sucks, but reading the OP lead me to believe that it was posted by a bald person, and you're not bald. To give you some context, this is how much hair i have.

There's no treatment for this, my hair is gone, it would be extremely unhealthy for me to dwell on it.
Holy shit, what's your workout routine?

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Been using minox since i was 20 and kept all my hair still. Even got thicker i just use it once daily and put it all over my scalp. Not taking the risk with a bald uncle and grandfather.

Recent pic 🤷‍♂️
OBPGh2T.jpg
Man, i have been thinking about that too. How is the daily hassle? Do you do it in the morning or evening? Does it take long and does it stick? I'd give money for that amount of hair

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
When I was in my early twenties my hair started falling a lot, I thought I would be bald soon.

I changed to eat more vegetables and fish. Also been taking beer yiest all this years daily , what I think helped a lot. Falling stopped and now I'm late thirties and have good hair, so they're is hope.