• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF!? I Just "readed" 1202 and 1203
hqdefault.jpg

George Morikawa why you killed the manga, man i loved Hajime no Ippo, why you are doing this george?

Whyyyyyyyyyyy? :(

EVEN If Ippo decides to return its Everything from the last year again, what the fuck this IS horrible

Rip Ippo :(

tumblr_nyjpf6h0Lp1ucpcboo1_500.gif

Hajime-no-Ippo-anime-clip-v2.gif

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
What OP is neglecting to mention is that it isn't just that Ippo lost his return match but that it is all but confirmed that he is punch drunk.

Kid's got brain damage. He's done.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is probably just gonna kick off another "character development arc" where he finally sees the error of his ways and starts fighting for himself (like Takamura) instead of Kamogawa.

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know what, I'm just glad Hajime no Ippo got to reach the highs it has reached once upon a time.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't think he's punch drunk. Dude was fighting a southpaw for the first time, almost all of the shots he took could be matched up to him tripping over that damn left leg.

Timeskip and return match inc.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can see this going a couple of ways.

Most likely I think is Ippo makes good on his promise to Kumi but she realizes how unhappy he is without boxing similar to what happened with Date, Ippo returns to the ring after a timeskip.

Either way it's time to wait a long-ass time. And that's after Takamura's upcoming match.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait is the manga over? can't believe he chose to go this route. what the hell is left for the manga? the freaking main character just lost again. there really isn't much more to do anymore. i'll be honest this manga has been a pretty big letdown since the ridiculously idiotic wolly fight. the author of the manga seems like he has been having health problems so he probably is choosing to end it.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love the part of Hajime no Ippo that the first anime and subsequent series did but the manga has certainly gone way, way, way too long. It's disappointing to see Ippo lose anymore and I haven't kept up with the series since he lost the first fight against the guy that wanted to fight Martinez, but he came back and lost again to him? That's dumb and if I followed the manga since the beginning I would be pissed as hell.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't checked in on the Ippo manga since the infamous Woli fight (where he basically fought Tarzan).

This plot development sounds interesting. Has the series been good recently?

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Why this sick thing its not Cool :/
I'm like 90% sure it's so Morikawa can justify a timeskip. If everyone thinks Ippo is punch drunk then they won't be pushing him to come back and he can do a timeskip, if they realize he just wasn't prepared enough to fight a southpaw they'd just rectify it with the proper training like they do after every match he struggles in.

Given the pacing of the series, we needed a timeskip to see Takamura finish claiming all his world title belts. He's not even half-way through yet and we're at chapter 1202.

It's a shitty way to get us the timeskip, but in terms of the series's internal logic it's just about the only way to do it without skipping over a ton of Ippo's fights.

Hadn't checked in on the Ippo manga since the infamous Woli fight (where he basically fought Tarzan).

This last fight has been incredibly frustrating since if Ippo had any experience against a Southpaw he would have literally won with a single hit. He was sending this dude to the mat with glancing blows and blocked hits, a clean one would have taken his head off.

The guy isn't even that great a fighter, he won purely because he's a Southpaw and Ippo never fought one before. It's pure bullshit.

There's gonna be a timeskip, Takamura will claim most, if not all the remaining belts, and Ippo will come back mirroring Date. He's gonna fight that shitty kid he's mentoring on the way up too.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the part of Hajime no Ippo that the first anime and subsequent series did but the manga has certainly gone way, way, way too long. It's disappointing to see Ippo lose anymore and I haven't kept up with the series since he lost the first fight against the guy that wanted to fight Martinez, but he came back and lost again to him? That's dumb and if I followed the manga since the beginning I would be pissed as hell.
no he lost to another guy which makes this really weird. i've been reading the manga for a long time and i was really hoping to see ippo reach the the championship match against martinez. only route this manga can go is there being a time skip and ippo becoming a boxing coach and leading his guy to the world title. that would take about another thousand chapters with the way the author writes so i doubt it happens.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
He says the next time he lost, but I doubt its over. Way to big of a bumper because he went down like a bitch. Most likely going to kick around a bit, girl is going to tell him to give it one more chance, they find out he is punch drunk and he starts to train correctly and for himself. Unless the dude has brass balls, because this would be hands down the worst ending ever. You basically end it mid development for his next evolution in a pure bitch way to a scrub who doesn't even feel like he should win wtih Ippo tripping over himself half the match.

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It has been a poorly paced mess for several years now. Even if this event leads to something good just the amount of time it will take to get there is enough to kill all the hype.

I understand Morikawa's health issues make it difficult to draw chapters in a timely manner, but the writing has also been a far cry of what it used to be.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
He says the next time he lost, but I doubt its over. Way to big of a bumper because he went down like a bitch. Most likely going to kick around a bit, girl is going to tell him to give it one more chance, they find out he is punch drunk and he starts to train correctly and for himself. Unless the dude has brass balls, because this would be hands down the worst ending ever. You basically end it mid development for his next evolution in a pure bitch way to a scrub who doesn't even feel like he should win wtih Ippo tripping over himself half the match.
Yea, there's no way this isn't just justification for a time skip. It would be 100% bullshit if it really ended here.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man the fight was horrible too its one of the worst fights, this and the clinch guy are the worst i think

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Man the fight was horrible too its one of the worst fights, this and the clinch guy are the worst i think
No joke. Him losing this fight is such contrived bullshit, one clean hit from Ippo and this guy literally dies in the ring.

I like shonen manga and sports manga, especially hot-blooded type stuff. I need to watch this, right?
Yea, the anime is fantastic and ends before the manga started trending off. It's really fantastic.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Sounds like what happened to Joe in Hashita No Joe 2.

Here's hoping Ippo doesn't
have a comeback fight and die in the ring ala Joe.

Fuck I need a new Ippo anime dammit!

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't train yourself correctly for being punch drunk. It's literally CTE. Ippo is 100% done unless the manga decides to jump the shark.

Ippo is done and reading this thread leads me to believe people either don't know what punch drunk is or haven't read it yet, because he's not getting back up from that one as a boxer.

I don't know how I feel about it though. It was beautiful, yet also sad and disappointing. It takes balls to write that into life, after basically spending 30 years hyping up his world ranked career. Rip Ippo, man.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very rare that a manga actually moves me emotionally, but dear lord my heart sank reading the last few chapters. The look Ippo gave the coach and how he came to terms with his own condition. :(

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
You don't train yourself correctly for being punch drunk. It's literally CTE. Ippo is 100% done unless the manga decides to jump the shark.

Ippo is done and reading this thread leads me to believe people either don't know what punch drunk is or haven't read it yet, because he's not getting back up from that one as a boxer.

I don't know how I feel about it though. It was beautiful, yet also sad and disappointing. It takes balls to write that into life, after basically spending 30 years hyping up his world ranked career. Rip Ippo, man.
Are we sure he's actually punch drunk though? I'm not entirely sure he is.

Plus, I read somewhere that Morikawa said it's not ending. So it's probably a fakeout to justify a timeskip.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely garbage way to close off the arc when all anyone wanted was the new Den. Fucking A

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure he's actually punch drunk though? I'm not entirely sure he is.

Plus, I read somewhere that Morikawa said it's not ending. So it's probably a fakeout to justify a timeskip.
Ippo literally admits it. He gave a sad and mournful look to the coach, then has the inner monologue which states that he's KNOWN something has been wrong with him all this time. Ippo just wanted to "show coach the new dempsey" to repay all the hard work he put into him. He can't remember half the fight, mental time skips, etc. He is punch drunk.

It also illustrates what Takamura said about Ippo not having the right mindset. He's fighting for someone else and not for himself. He's not a monster, but also broken.

Also it's not ending, doesn't mean Ippo is going to keep boxing.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was neat how a mainstream boxing manga decided to go in on the "naybe if your entire fughting style revolves around tanking their offensive things wont end up so well".

They have been foreshadowing brain damage for a while, and with how trash that coach is things could only go so far.

Seriously that old man pisses me off

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Ippo literally admits it. He gave a sad and mournful look to the coach, then has the inner monologue which states that he's KNOWN something has been wrong with him all this time. Ippo just wanted to "show coach the new dempsey" to repay all the hard work he put into him. He can't remember half the fight, mental time skips, etc. He is punch drunk.

It also illustrates what Takamura said about Ippo not having the right mindset. He's fighting for someone else and not for himself. He's not a monster, but also broken.

Also it's not ending, doesn't mean Ippo is going to keep boxing.
If it's not a fake out then we gotta wonder where the hell it's going from here because it would basically be the ultimate cocktease. The new dempsey has been hyped to hell and back for hundreds of chapters and we never actually got to see it connect, not only that but he loses to a scrub. Talk about a fucking let down.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's not a fake out then we gotta wonder where the hell it's going from here because it would basically be the ultimate cocktease. The new dempsey has been hyped to hell and back for hundreds of chapters and we never actually got to see it connect, talk about a fucking let down.
It's basically "getting punched in the head a lot has dire consequences". They've hinted at it nearly the whole series. Multiple people have mentioned that he should stop using the Dempsey, that his fighting style isn't very long term, and a whole backstory on dealing with boxers who are punch drunk + it's effects on everyone around you. Sure it doesn't satisfy the shonen itch, but it's life (from a boxing manga that had him fight Tarzan and other assorted eccentric boxers). It's on brand, just a gutpunch to see it end this way.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yo I've only watched a couple episodes here and there in the past but now you're telling me Ippo has permanent brain damage?!? WHAT THE FUCK

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I readed people saying takamura Will loose sight, retinal detachment, because the real fighter takamura os inspired, this happened idk If this IS true

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically "getting punched in the head a lot has dire consequences". They've hinted at it nearly the whole series. Multiple people have mentioned that he should stop using the Dempsey, that his fighting style isn't very long term, and a whole backstory on dealing with boxers who are punch drunk + it's effects on everyone around you. Sure it doesn't satisfy the shonen itch, but it's life (from a boxing manga that had him fight Tarzan and other assorted eccentric boxers). It's on brand, just a gutpunch to see it end this way.
I mean, yea it makes sense, but it's still a super shitty ending. He could have at least gone down against someone who wasn't garbage.

Then again, the Takamura thing has been hinted at for a long time as well and that went all of nowhere.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yea it makes sense, but it's still a super shitty ending. He could have at least gone down against someone who wasn't garbage.

Then again, the Takamura thing has been hinted at for a long time as well and that went all of nowhere.
I can already see this day as the day of tragedy

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think I prefer that it was to someone who wasn't a big story character. Basically proves Ippo lost to himself. I don't think Miyata or any of those other guys would be able to put down a guy who is visibly punch drunk. It would've been real weird. A guy who wants to prove himself, an up and comer, he will not give a fuck and will thirst to beat Ippo regardless of his condition. Also it clearly illustrates the direness of Ippo's situation.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well... this is depressing. Never read the manga, but hey, at least the anime ends on a high note!

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I think I prefer that it was to someone who wasn't a big story character. Basically proves Ippo lost to himself. I don't think Miyata or any of those other guys would be able to put down a guy who is visibly punch drunk. It would've been real weird. A guy who wants to prove himself, an up and comer, he will not give a fuck and will thirst to beat Ippo regardless of his condition.
I dunno, thinking about it I would have preferred Ricardo. He wouldn't have held back and at least we could have seen the fight we've been waiting for this entire time.

This is literally the second time we're not getting something that was built up for hundreds of chapters, it's a pretty shitty feeling to go out on.

I think this would have been easier to handle if we had at least gotten Ippo vs Miyata at some point.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if there isn't some time skip then who the hell will be the main focus of the story? the manga is literately named after ippo. i don't want there to be a time skip either as that would mean skipping takamura's fights and seeing some of the characters go against ricardo. what if ippo gets married to kumi and his kid eventually grows up to be a boxer and ippo teaches him.

I dunno, thinking about it I would have preferred Ricardo. He wouldn't have held back and at least we could have seen the fight we've been waiting for this entire time.

This is literally the second time we're not getting something that was built up for hundreds of chapters, it's a pretty shitty feeling to go out on.

I think this would have been easier to handle if we had at least gotten Ippo vs Miyata at some point.
lol no miyata fight or ricardo fight. ultimate blue balls the manga.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I readed people saying takamura Will loose sight, retinal detachment, because the real fighter takamura os inspired, this happened idk If this IS true

Takamura is based on real life boxer Shinji Takehara. Shinji lost his 25th match in 1996 and Takamura's upcoming match is his 25th one as well. It's possible he may lose due to his damaged eye.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Takamura is based on real life boxer Shinji Takehara. Shinji lost his 25th match in 1996 and Takamura's upcoming match is his 25th one as well. It's possible he may lose due to his damaged eye.
i think he wins but sustains so much damage that his retina finally detaches and he becomes blind in that eye. that is if we even see the fight.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that, I need Takamura to murder his dude to redeem this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.