• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the 2020 ambitions article, he said the following:

JP Games: Hajime Tabata
"The official Paralympic game must be released by next year's Tokyo Olympics. We're currently working hard on development while cooperating with many para athletes and people in the industry. We have also started preparations for a new project. Starting next year, our team will also get bigger." Tabata's keyword for the year is "AAA."

Great to see him get back on his feet so fast and not get lost to mobile.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"JP Games" may in fact be the least creative name for a development studio I've ever heard. Hopefully their actual projects are a fair deal more exciting than that name.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I read that thread title as "Japanese Games Studios expanding, aiming for AAA" and got excited. Fuck.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Thinking about it we get Tabata aiming for AAA and his old team doing a new IP.

As a XV fan I am immensely pleased.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I will always kind of like him for Crisis Core, but.. he should really be aiming for smaller titles at this point.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
If there is a Japanese studio to buy for Microsoft, this is it.

Tabata knows the western market well.

Go Phil !

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but he didn't create ffxv. He took it over.

edit: nvm, didnt know he co-directed it.

He did more than that, he pulled it out of development hell and released a game that both reviewed well and sold a ton (almost 9 million copies).

The guy gets shit done.

If Sony or whoever wants to fund a high budget JRPG then Tabata is who they should be contacting.

The last part of your sentence is making me thinking of poor Hironobu Sakaguchi...

That's exactly who was on my mind when I typed it :(

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Did we ever hear behind-the-scenes info on his departure from SE?
VG247 has been led to believe that Tabata's departure is a direct result of these shifts at his new studio, and that he was provided with several options for the future of both himself and Luminous Productions at Square Enix and found none of them attractive.

APZonerunner also heard rumblings around TGS about this.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Crisis Core felt rushed, was however an enjoyable time with a nonsensical story.

Type-0 felt rushed, I had my fun with it's flawed gameplay. Story seemed interesting but in the end felt unfinished and unpolished

XV felt rushed and unfinished and got parts of it's story rectoned post released... I hate it...

With that being said, those Para Athletes deserves the spotlight ! I really hope that he can give them Justice. I want this game to be a success and I'm rooting for it.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Crisis Core predates Third Birthday by a lot, actually.

Ah nvm then

Holy shit, this dude always gotta deal with shit

Crisis core should have just been a decent Zack prequel but Nomura wanted gackt in it

Thrid birthday he was being dicked around

And XV was a disaster with almost a decade of trailer hype from versus13 which never had a concrete plot

OP
OP
BadWolf

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah nvm then

Crisis core should have just been a decent Zack prequel but Nomura wanted gackt in it

And XV was a disaster with almost a decade of trailer hype from versus13 which never had a concrete plot

Sure will be nice to see what he comes up with when he doesn't have to clean up Nomura's mess.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Sure will be nice to see what he comes up with when he doesn't have to clean up Nomura's mess.

I really hope him and Nomura don't have any bad blood between them. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there was

I always wandered what Nomura thinks of XV and Tabata Noctis but looking at Verum Rex, I assume he's not too fond of it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ah nvm then

Type-0's plot was significantly more nonsense than Crisis Core and XV put together. I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy. It's clear he's a hard worked but every game he's ever been involved in has suffered from a lot of similar issues.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
100% Bandai Namco is gonna snatch these guys.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope him and Nomura don't have any bad blood between them. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there was

I always wandered what Nomura thinks of XV and Tabata Noctis but looking at Verum Rex, I assume he's not too fond of it.
I'm sure Nomura has something against Square-Enix in general.
They took the decision to remove him, not Tabata. Although he seem disappointed with XV

Sep 14, 2018
The 3rd Birthday is a lot of fun gameplay wise, I just pretend there is no story whenever I replay it. Starting from scratch on the hardest difficulty is sooo challenging, I love it.

But yeah, he's pretty bad.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
With the lack of exclusive japanese games MS should bank roll this. Even if bad. Just need some of that type of content.

Oct 31, 2017
He did more than that, he pulled it out of development hell and released a game that both reviewed well and sold a ton (almost 9 million copies).

The guy gets shit done.

If Sony or whoever wants to fund a high budget JRPG then Tabata is who they should be contacting.

That's exactly who was on my mind when I typed it :(

He "pulled it out of development hell" because he was forced to. He had a concrete deadline. The story was botched to hell and back and was never fixed. Chapters 1-8 are a horribly written joke and Chapters 9-14 are like Cliff's Notes of Cliff's Notes of Cliff's Notes of Cliff's Notes.

Game still has tons and tons of problems, even after 2 years of updates. Lots of fundamental flaws with the battle system. I don't think he should be commended for just throwing something out the door bc he was forced to. I like XV now, but to praise Tabata for how he handled XV? Absolutely not. None of the trailers for the game are remotely accurate aside from Uncovered and onwards. Does that seem like a director that "gets shit done" to you? A director that throws out a shitload of work because he's prioritizing the wrong things? His priorities were completely out of wack, regardless of the dev situation and the annoyances of the Luminous engine. His team had no experience with open world games and he still made that the absolute top priority, and he knew he had a strict deadline. And remember the E3 Titan demo? That was universally panned and it was completely unchanged for the full game? And then there's shit like the food, though to be fair I'm not exactly sure if that was resource-intensive. And then once released, he and his team basically started treating the game like a test run for their next game. I could only imagine how great XV would be if Tabata wasn't so fucking stubborn about making XV open world, along with prioritizing animations over everything else battle system-wise.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic towards what he's creating. I like Type-0, but only because I use the Arena glitch to avoid the horrible grind and because I used Japanese voices.

All his games are extremely flawed, but I think he has some potential

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Not really interested in the mobile game, but glad to see that he has plans to work on a AAA game.

The guy gets shit done.

I think he just wants to do his own thing right now. He said he got plenty of offers from other studios when he left Square.
Screen-Shot-2019-12-27-at-5-04-33-PM.png

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
He's making a paralympics game? Interesting choice for first game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine Microsoft is going to back his modern day, multiplayer GAAS action RPG, since that seems like a wet dream project for them.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno about not wanting it, but he's correct about Nomura being the one who came up with the idea. Talking about the clothes thing.

How did you come up with the system of clothes being torn off when Aya receives a lot of damage?

Tabata:
It was originally for experimental purposes. Nomura supports this feature as it makes the game more interesting.

Tabata explained that the clothing is actually equipment. You can apparently send her out sleeveless, and this will end up showing off greater skin when her clothing tears during battle. However, she'll end up incurring more damage with this weaker clothing. The more resilient clothing, when damaged, won't show as much skin.

So how did this system come about? It looks like this is the handy work of Tetsuya Nomura.

According to Tabata, Kitase told the staff to not make the game in such a way that it would end with just one title. Additionally, the staff was hoping to potentially bring the series to a console if this first entry received support from players. This is where Nomura came into the picture. He had the idea that if the game were brought to a console, it would be interesting to have Aya's damage shown by her clothing being damaged. They ended up including the system in The 3rd Birthday as a test.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Turd Barfday still plays the best out of those games. It's shocking anyone likes what this guy produces.