• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Haley Joel Osment has spent the better part of his life as Sora, the spiky-haired keyblade wielding face of Final Fantasy and Disney crossover bliss. Osment's improbable, almost-lifelong journey as the star of Disney and Square Enix's ambitious RPG series Kingdom Hearts mirrors what we've come to expect with television shows with long lifespans. Like the Stark kids growing up on Game of Thrones, or Tony Soprano's kids on The Sopranos. In real-time what once were fresh-faced kids grow into young adults. Like all those kids, Osment's grown up too—heck, he's 30 now. And the leap from Kingdom Hearts to its deeper-voiced Sora sequel no longer seems so shocking.

"It is unique in that way," Osment tells me over the phone just weeks out from the release of the long-anticipated Kingdom Hearts 3. "I get that sometimes in live-action projects people get to play a character over a large number of years, but with this, you know, the fact that it's animated. I mean, first off there's technical considerations because for particularly early on Sora didn't age very much. I think he's a little bit older now [in Kingdom Hearts 3] than he was in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. But early on, you know, I started this when I was 12, and my voice had started to change and everything. So learning how to manipulate that and keep the voice sounding young while still preserving the range of emotions that Sora had; that was a unique challenge."

More at the link: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/haley-joel-osment-growing-up-in-kingdom-hearts

You can definitely him growing up as Sora as early as KH2 with his voice changing. It's insane to think how long he's been voicing this character ever since being a child. Even before Kingdom Hearts he had already had a successful career and he just keeps on going and loves what he's done with just this series alone.

Great to see things working out for him knowing that child actors don't always work out.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Really can't imagine anyone else doing the role TBH
This is why I'm mad Square Enix refuse to do French dub anymore, I growed up with the French VA of Sora, I sorta accepted the spin off to be English only because of budget, but 3 being English VA only is just unnacceptable.
Of course I can't reward Square Enix with my money for pulling up this, I was emotionally attached to his French VA with all those cutscenes.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Great to see things working out for him knowing that child actors don't always work out.
HJO breaks all the rules

PleasantMilkyAgouti-small.gif

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
A: he says Sora gets to be more humourous? I'm really into that.

B: Don't even joke that it's "the last time" you'll play Sora, HJO. Thanks. 😤

Yes, I realize how contradictory A and B are lol

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from Dream Drop Distance, I've loved his voice for Sora, and I can't imagine anyone other than him voicing the character. He's sounded great so far in the KH3 trailers, so I'm excited to hear him again come January 29th.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'm mad Square Enix refuse to do French dub anymore, I growed up with the French VA of Sora, I sorta accepted the spin off to be English only because of budget, but 3 being English VA only is just unnacceptable.
Of course I can't reward Square Enix with my money for pulling up this, I was emotionally attached to his French VA with all those cutscenes.
Preach, I can't believe they're not dubbing 3.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I felt so bad for him in Dream Drop Distance. It sounded like the voice director squeezed him into the tightest pants possible so his voice would be forced up an octave. Can't imagine Kingdom Hearts without him, he's made Sora such a special character.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I can't imagine anyone else doing the role.

Dude did a damn great job as Vanitas in Birth by Sleep too, and that's the same game with Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill putting in VA work.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I felt so bad for him in Dream Drop Distance. It sounded like the voice director squeezed him into the tightest pants possible so his voice would be forced up an octave. Can't imagine Kingdom Hearts without him, he's made Sora such a special character.
Yeah they reaaallly wanted him sounding like KH2 Sora and it didn't work, AT ALL.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Preach, I can't believe they're not dubbing 3.
I do. You guys don't remember but there used to be a huge chunk of time between JP and western releases. Sure KH1 got the dubs but it launched 8 months after Japan. KH3 is releasing within the same week in all regions. So get another delay or have it now. Pick your poison.

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to hear him reflecting on the role and how he can kind of connect it to the points of his life where he was recording those games.

His voice is really such an integral part of the series.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This is extremely shitty and wholly unacceptable on their part.

I do. You guys don't remember but there used to be a huge chunk of time between JP and western releases. Sure KH1 got the dubs but it launched 8 months after Japan. KH3 is releasing within the same week in all regions. So get another delay or have it now. Pick your poison.

Delay it. It's already been five years since they announced this shit, might as well tack on another 6-8 months to do it right.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I do remember, but that was 17 years ago. Nowadays, big JP pubs manage to get worldwide releases with FIGS dub, see Capcom or even Square-Enix (FFXV). That is not the problem.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I rather someone else do it, if he continued sounding terrible.
Same, he was great for the first couple of games, but after 2 he just sounded bad with him forcing himself to sound like a kid. Vanitas shows he has talent, but the repeated used of KH1 Sora did him no favors and they should have replaced him for those games. This is the reason why I say Miyu Iruno is the better voice actor for Sora.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do remember, but that was 17 years ago. Nowadays, big JP pubs manage to get worldwide releases with FIGS dub, see Capcom or even Square-Enix (FFXV). That is not the problem.
FFXV didn't get EFIGS+J dubs. It was just English, French and I think German (aside from JP). I'm positive no Spanish or Italian that's for sure.

Look, dubbing is hard and expensive. Especially for huge RPGs like these.

almutama

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill voiced master xehanort and eraqus respectively until now.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV didn't get EFIGS+J dubs. It was just English, French and I think German (aside from JP). I'm positive no Spanish or Italian that's for sure.

Look, dubbing is hard and expensive. Especially for huge RPGs like these.
Fair enough for FFXV, but my point still stands: this is 2019, not 2003. Games, movies, anime get dubbed all the time is Disney, with it's International Voices subsidiary, is a war machine who calls actors for new stuff all the time. For all we know this is not on SE but on them.

"Dubbing is hard" is a strange and vague rebuttal for something I never argued about. Saying it's expensive though, is more and point and I don't think there's anyone (me included) who doesn't think this and Disney's authority are the actual problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it's been more than a decade since I played a Kingdom Hearts game with a French dub, so even if it's truly regrettable we don't get it this time, it's not a dealbreaker to me.

The only reason I'd want a French dub would be because of the Disney characters and their iconic French voice actors, not because of Nomura OC lol.

With that said, with the passing of Robin Williams I wonder who dubs the Genie now.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
With that said, with the passing of Robin Williams I wonder who dubs the Genie now.

I don't think he ever did KH. It's been Dan Castellaneta from the get go. The only Genie Robin ever did was Aladdin 1 and 3, otherwise every other time you've heard Genie, it's been Dan.

Feb 4, 2018
Love HJO, he is Sora for me. Plus the dude has some real range considering the two characters he plays in the series.

Do we know if Jesse is coming back?? Haven't heard Ven or Roxas speak at this point.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Love HJO, he is Sora for me. Plus the dude has some real range considering the two characters he plays in the series.

Do we know if Jesse is coming back?? Haven't heard Ven or Roxas speak at this point.

The circumstances that led to other VAs getting replaced don't apply to him, so I'm sure he's returning. No official confirmation though.

Feb 4, 2018
The circumstances that led to other VAs getting replaced don't apply to him, so I'm sure he's returning. No official confirmation though.
Ahhh I really hope he is. It seems like SE has been super tight-lipped on all the VAs for the original KH characters, minus HJO. Perhaps they're trying not to spoil who comes back but the trailers kinda already do.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018

I would be extremely disappointed if he didn't return. Ven/Roxas are not my favorite characters but Jesse did an awesome job in bbs and the days movie. The guy has also done a good amount of voice acting in cartoons since then if I recall correctly.

Feb 4, 2018
I would be extremely disappointed if he didn't return. Ven/Roxas are not my favorite characters but Jesse did an awesome job in bbs and the days movie. The guy has also done a good amount of voice acting in cartoons since then if I recall correctly.
He does fantastic work and I feel like he really captures the subtle differences between Roxas and Ven's personalities. Nice to hear someone else agree, I'm pretty biased since Ven is my favorite character hahaha.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017

Yep. He voices Dick Grayson/Nightwing in Young Justice (Robin in the first season) and Theodore in the CG Alvin and the Chipmunks movies.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Some how I keep forgetting he's the voice of Sora and now it's going to be hard to hear him without thinking of Future Man season 2 lol.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Like many have said can't imagine anyone else doing it so it's fantastic he's still doing it and that he's enjoyed it all this time.

I can't imagine anyone else doing the role.

Dude did a damn great job as Vanitas in Birth by Sleep too, and that's the same game with Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill putting in VA work.
Yeah. He did a great job with him too.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As others have already said, I can't imagine anyone else playing Sora.

Haley Joel Osment does such a great job. He really brings this optimistic sweetness to the character, which is nice to see in a sea of angry pissed off protagonists.

I hope he can play the character for as long as he can, as long as he's willing to of course.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I'm glad that he likes the role because man I was a bit worried that he might be resentful over it.

It is kind of funny how everybody working on Kingdom Hearts seems to really like it. It's a massive megacrossover fanfic given AAA Game Budgets. Shine on you crazy series.