• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
you see streamers put their face in the bottom right corner. it blocks the map/ammo count. personally, i open a youtube or something and put it in the corner to watch while playing a game (99% of the time I just use a second screen)

do you think developers will put that into account when making games in the future? should they? will they purposefully make a corner of the screen empty of HUD or put useless HUD there knowing it can be covered by streamers for whatever they need it for?

some content creators like giant bomb just shrink the gamefeed and have empty top and side space to use. will that continue to be the better alternative instead of changing a whole game's layout just to fit a niche?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im waiting for the game that has an ai controlled streamer in the bottom corner of the game the entire time you play, reacting to what you do

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Most streamers who know what they're doing will make sure their webcam isn't in the way of anything important anyways, so I doubt devs will take it into account.

Zippro

May 20, 2018
If you're playing games like Red Dead you could probably just say the map portion fulfills that need, but most AAA games now allow you to either turn off HUD elements or try to have super minimal UI elements. Breath of the Wild's probably one of the best examples of this as it can go from full HUD to just displaying your health. I think that fulfills the same purpose/intent even if it isn't intentional because it gives streams more control. It's obvious when it's not accounted for like in FFXV though. But others like Fortnite of FFXIV are pretty customizeable so I think for most it isn't an issue. It's streamer's choice.

OP
OP
Owlowiscious

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
If you're playing games like Red Dead you could probably just say the map portion fulfills that need, but most AAA games now allow you to either turn off HUD elements or try to have super minimal UI elements. Breath of the Wild's probably one of the best examples of this as it can go from full HUD to just displaying your health. I think that fulfills the same purpose/intent even if it isn't intentional because it gives streams more control. It's obvious when it's not accounted for like in FFXV though. But others like Fortnite of FFXIV are pretty customizeable so I think for most it isn't an issue. It's streamer's choice.
turning off hud elements wouldn't always be the best, as viewers would want to know information. customizable huds, which let you move elements to different locations on screen might be best.
Most streamers who know what they're doing will make sure their webcam isn't in the way of anything important anyways, so I doubt devs will take it into account.
yeah that's what they are doing now. I'm just curious if it will change in the future. like in 10 years I can link to this thread and be like 'called it'

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
personally, i open a youtube or something and put it in the corner to watch while playing a game (99% of the time I just use a second screen)

I hope next gen consoles have PIP like XB1 did before they took it out. It's the one feature I really wanted on PS4. I like watching something when grinding in a game. Watched Digimon Adventure and Digimon Tamers while playing Cyber Sleuth lol.

As for streamers, there already seems to always be a place to put their camera.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of streamers of PC games, or ones with chat put their picture over it so that the stream viewers can't read their conversations(notice this a lot with MMOs).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
why yes i want an obligatory reduction in playing space for a feature i have no interest of using/taking advantage of

i think games should stop having licensed music at all too. so streamers dont have to mute their audios. and they should autopause every ten seconds so the streamer can read the chat/subscription messages

Oct 27, 2017
Yes is it so important for me to see the wide range of emotions in the streamer's face. I particularly like "looking into the void" and "overreacting to not scary things".

No. I don't think they should accommodate anything, can't stand streamer culture and the only let's plays I've watched don't have a cam

OP
OP
Owlowiscious

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
What do you play and what videos do you watch then? Why would you do this?
destiny mostly. watching giant bomb and until recently super best friends. so i'd be playing a game while watching a let's play of a different game.

or playing less grindy games i'd watch stuff and pause when story beats happen in game