• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

the game has seen very high monthly peaks in recent months as compared to its usual performance in the past years, no doubt due to Half-Life: Alyx announcement, but going free-to-play has established a new daily concurrent peak record today

YAKibz7_d.jpg

TqIyV2k_d.jpg

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I want to revisit it as well. Incredible game. Awesome to see people still enjoy it. Anyone who has not played it really need to get on it now.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
HL was the first game that I played when I purchased my first PC two decades ago. It is still one of the best I played.

Jul 26, 2019
Half Life 1 is highly enjoyable game despite of its age.

Played it first time years ago and never really found a chance to finish it. HL2 still one my favorite games. So with the announcement of HL Alyx, I decided to do a HL marathon.

Gameplay is tense and rewarding at the same time. Hit reactions are weak because of enemy hit reaction but gun sounds and animation completely covers up weak feeling of shooting. Level design enhances the gameplay. Game as a whole is linear but secret and different paths are varied and makes exploring fun. Enemies are varied but less soldiers could have made it more fun. Hitscan weapons are hard to deal with especially at high difficulty. Encounters with aliens is more fun because of their projectile attacks.

I was concerned of its age and thought it wouldn't be enjoyable as before. But, high action gameplay is still there and still enjoyable. Incredible game.

Last edited:

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
HL1 did not age well at all and has terrible platforming (it starts out okay at first but falls way off the deep end as you progress through the game) but the setting and story are far, far better than HL2's.
The fact that HL2 retconned basically the entire game and just went along with it with no real in-game explanation completely broke the immersion for me.
HL2 is much better gameplay-wise, but Black Mesa was a much better setting than Vaguely Future Russia.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I wish they updated it for 64bit... had to update my MacBook for SideCar but would be nice to have HL with me at all times.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HL1 did not age well at all and has terrible platforming (it starts out okay at first but falls way off the deep end as you progress through the game) but the setting and story are far, far better than HL2's.
The fact that HL2 retconned basically the entire game and just went along with it with no real in-game explanation completely broke the immersion for me.
HL2 is much better gameplay-wise, but Black Mesa was a much better setting than Vaguely Future Russia.

how did HL2 retcon HL1? You mean the part about Xen aliens in HL1 being retcon into non-native Xen aliens in HL2?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
how did HL2 retcon HL1? You mean the part about Xen aliens in HL1 being retcon into non-native Xen aliens in HL2?

On that note I hope we see a return to the diversity of alien enemies from HL in Alyx. Part of the fun with the original was the introduction of each new alien type, there just didn't feel like nearly enough of this in the sequel. Gimme more Bullsquid.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I never actually finished Half Life 2 despite having The Orange Box back in the day so maybe I'll hop back in sometime.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
HL:Source is an abomination that should be put down in its sleep. Thank fuck for Black Mesa.

I can't agree with that, HL source is just a port to another engine using mostly the old assets, it's very honest at that, Black Mesa is a full remake.
I had HLS and the original CD version side by side (literally with both PCs, one running windows 98 and all) and it was interesting, I like the look of HLS a lot more in darker areas, the lighting improvements are nice.

but it feels 90% the same thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree with that, HL source is just a port to another engine using mostly the old assets, it's very honest at that, Black Mesa is a full remake.
I had HLS and the original CD version side by side (literally with both PCs, one running windows 98 and all) and it was interesting, I like the look of HLS a lot more in darker areas, the lighting improvements are nice.

but it feels 90% the same thing.

agree. I just played through the source version and found it was just fine. I don't get the irrational hate for a port to their updated engine.