• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely a unique look and much better than the original, but I have to say I'm so disappointed that we haven't gotten any decent budget games built for the ground up for ray-tracing yet as games built around baked shadows end up not really utilizing path-tracing very well.

It's been four years since the RTX 2080 released and NVIDIA can't fund like one AA game that is fully and only path-traced?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I need to see this running on a 4090.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Low poly games with ray traced lighting and GI have such a unique and compelling look to me. If I can make this run half decently on a 2070 Super, I'd love to give it a shot. If not, eh, I can wait a few years, I'm satisfied with Black Mesa as it is.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely a unique look and much better than the original, but I have to say I'm so disappointed that we haven't gotten any decent budget games built for the ground up for ray-tracing yet as games built around baked shadows end up not really utilizing path-tracing very well.
Did you try Control? It still looks fantastic.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow, this looks amazing!
It's probably gonna run pretty bad due to no DLSS but RTX really works for this game.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

It's been four years since the RTX 2080 released and NVIDIA can't fund like one AA game that is fully and only path-traced?
Because developers target the available hardware. Nvidia isn't gonna spend tens of millions for a game that can only run decently on a 4090.

Otherwise it will end up with "great RT, bad graphics" reviews.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I built a gaming pc recently but have yet to mod anything. Is a 3070 enough to run these raytracing mods on okser games like this and doom?

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
Not an expert on test chambers but I don't think you want smog in there even if it makes lighting look cool.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Cool thing about this is you can do the halo anniversary thing and flip back and forth with alt x

It does seem to add new things that weren't there tho (lasers in the last screen)

RTX off/on

oKfjIvQ.jpg

75lfUx3.jpg

e2VNyqP.jpg

ghOxiHq.jpg

qhlw3dR.jpg

4mbHZ2s.jpg

The first screen had bloom lighting turned on, disabled it after

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Looks awesome and seems to accurately capture the original essence of the game, as opposed to a lot of other graphics overhauls which really lose the style/esssence the developers were going for.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Mod author did a LOT of work. there are all new custom assets to show off the raytracing. monitors reflect the areas around them, he added mirrors to some rooms like bathrooms, the lighting is incredible and adds so much atmosphere. its so good!

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing. If only I had a PC that could handle it to actually play.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Now we're talking. First one of these things I've seen that feels like a straightforward improvement instead of a tradeoff.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing this game in a lot of different ways aren't I? OG, VR, and now this. Looks amazing.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Sick. I recently bought the Half Life bundle on Steam too, so perfect timing. One thing I noticed with that collection was that it came with like 3 versions of Half Life 1. I think the contents was the original, source port and a Half Life directors cut with cut Half Life content patched in. Not sure where to start, or I can just get Black Messa I guess.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Sick. I recently bought the Half Life bundle on Steam too, so perfect timing. One thing I noticed with that collection was that it came with like 3 versions of Half Life 1. I think the contents was the original, source port and a Half Life directors cut with cut Half Life content patched in. Not sure where to start, or I can just get Black Messa I guess.
As a long-time HL fan, I'd say play the original (or this RT version). If you really want to play HL:Source, make sure you find the mods that fix it because it's very broken in its current state on Steam. Black Mesa is great but I feel like it's more of a companion piece to HL1 than a full replacement.

OP
OP
gabdeg

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Just gave this a go and yeah, it's amazing.

Just look at Gordon casually being reflected in Barney's helmet.

desktop2023.02.22-22.6oecz.jpg

Plenty of assets and lighting added to make full use of RT. This puts it almost into a remaster category for me. Performance is around 50-60fps at 4k on a 4090 and 100-120fps with DLSS Quality.

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this I find so much more interesting than modern games that use ray tracing. I guess because it's so transformative in older games, while in modern ones it feels like it's more a refinement. I can't wait to dig into this.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I just tried it out. I got to the part where I had to push the sample in the test chamber and it wouldn't budge!

Besides that, it looked REAL nice!

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Looks really good, appreciate the nod to Freeman's Mind in the intro too. Took me right back.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This looks gorgeous. You can see labcoat wearing Gordon in reflections, even off Barney's helmet! What a lovely surprise after bouncing off AH.

swileodan

Jun 14, 2022
Stuff like this I find so much more interesting than modern games that use ray tracing. I guess because it's so transformative in older games, while in modern ones it feels like it's more a refinement. I can't wait to dig into this.

Aside from the fact that there are literally NO modern games provided with a path traced renderer.