• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I want there to be a stream or something but it's probably just going to be a press release or something :(

Oct 25, 2017
The base stations, whilst annoying to setup - are also what makes the Index stand out. The room-scale tracking is practically perfect.
I agree. Just outlining that if someone wants a lower cost Index headset, the Vive is pretty much it. Other options are camera based gear, of which there is plenty to choose from.

There's nothing wrong with getting used hardware, at least for the base stations and controllers. My controllers and base stations are launch 2016 models I bought from an era user, but I currently use a 2017 revision HMD I bought separately off ebay. HTC sells certified refurb kits that remove that level of uncertainty, and there's a ton of accesories that are compatible with the 2016 VR headsets.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Are the chances of this coming to console basically 0%?
At launch, yes, because neither the ps4 or xbox one are going to be able to run something like this.
Eventually maybe. The ps5 will have the power to run it, but not the controls as sony was moronic and didn't put an analog stick on the move controllers (Something I complained about when they wanted me to get navigation controllers back in the day)
as for the next xbox it will obviously have the power to run it, the question will be if it will have a VR headset that is supported on it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if part of the reason microsoft opened up to putting stuff like Halo on steam was because they wanted stuff like this to eventually be on the next xbox.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm dumb and ordered an index. Here we go!

I have it, it's great. I'm sure you'll love it and a bunch of other content on SteamVR / Oculus (via Revive) also to put your mind at ease:

Or at least waited until tomorrow. You know Valve is going to include this as part of Index orders from now on. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they gave it to all Index purchasers (even retroactively).

They added a complimentary app to the Index full kit package, which is some sort of app (likely game). It would apply to any account that bought Index full kit - past and present.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Between Boneworks, The Lab, Echo Combat etc. I'm wondering HOW innovative HLA will be. I'm guessing it will come more down to execution of existing VR design ideas and aggregating plenty of them into one product. I expect it to take full use of the Valve Index controllers in terms of grab and drop (hence 'Grabbity Gloves'), maybe even climbing, but I'm not expecting a new take on traversal that we haven't seen before or the like. I expect excellent physics and beloved Half-life wit and atmosphere and high production values.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
FYI - on SteamDB we can see a complimentary sub 134870 has been added for past and future owners of:
  • Valve Index VR Kit
  • Valve Index Headset + Controllers
  • Valve Index Headset
  • Valve Index Controllers
The sub is for app 546560. As a guess from the app history - this is Half-Life: Alyx - thus presumable free for anyone that bought any of these!

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
FYI - on SteamDB we can see a complimentary sub 134870 has been added for past and future owners of:
  • Valve Index VR Kit
  • Valve Index Headset
The sub is for app 546560. As a guess from the app history - this is Half-Life: Alyx - thus presumable free for anyone that bought any of these!
Hopefully that's true. I would have happily paid for it but being given it for owning the hardware would be great.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Between Boneworks, The Lab, Echo Combat etc. I'm wondering HOW innovative HLA will be. I'm guessing it will come more down to execution of existing VR design ideas and aggregating plenty of them into one product. I expect it to take full use of the Valve Index controllers in terms of grab and drop (hence 'Grabbity Gloves'), maybe even climbing, but I'm not expecting a new take on traversal that we haven't seen before or the like. I expect excellent physics and beloved Half-life wit and atmosphere and high production values.
Agreed. I expect it will be an extremely polished, well designed game with some new ideas and gameplay that could only be done in VR executed at a AAA level. I expect every object that looks like it can be interacted with will be interactable. I expect just about anything that seems possible to do will be possible (eg. everything flammable should be flammable). I don't expect any crazy new innovations like the one VR locomotion that will replace all VR locomotion methods. But who knows? Maybe they'll surprise us! Brain Interface incoming!

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
do you find it alleviates some feeling of motion sickness with the response and refresh rate?

120hz certainly helps me to an extent. It feels great if you happen to be making quick movements or are looking at quickly moving objects.

However I've only recently started playing games using full analogue stick locomotion, with snap turns (though I usually am turning by facing / looking where I want to go). Most people will find the first time this is uncomfortable, though it varies from person to person, and can cause motion sickness if you are not acclimated to it. I already feel a lot better with it after starting with slower movements and gradually increasing.

Framerate has helped some folks to a point with this, but the issue is one related to vesitbular and somatosensory mismatch of your body's proprioception and what you are seeing in the headset. You can definitely get acclimated to it though. I've been messing with Arizona Sunshine and Talos Principle VR, which has helped quite a bit

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
120hz certainly helps me to an extent. It feels great if you happen to be making quick movements or are looking at quickly moving objects.

However I've only recently started playing games using full analogue stick locomotion, with snap turns (though I usually am turning by facing / looking where I want to go). Most people will find the first time this is uncomfortable, though it varies from person to person, and can cause motion sickness if you are not acclimated to it. I already feel a lot better with it after starting with slower movements and gradually increasing.

Framerate has helped some folks to a point with this, but the issue is one related to vesitbular and somatosensory mismatch of your body's proprioception and what you are seeing in the headset. You can definitely get acclimated to it though. I've been messing with Arizona Sunshine and Talos Principle VR, which has helped quite a bit
Highly unlikely but how crazy would it be if the hardware we're speculating about is something that mitigates the vestibular disconnect? Probably not, but that would be cool.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
  • Valve Index VR Kit
  • Valve Index Headset

Very good catch! This is very likely HL:A - looks like it has been in development with an actual steam appid since 2016 based on the history. Hard to know how much dev went on before the appid was coined but this is definitely not some recent small app.

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the chances this will require the index controllers vs being able to use the oculus controllers?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
So what are the chances this will require the index controllers vs being able to use the oculus controllers?

Zero chance of requiring Index controllers. Valve has specifically created tools to make interoperability between all controllers easy for game devs. You may lose some features that Oculus doesn't support but it will definitely work.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so, im hyped off my fucking rocker for this and i will buy an index for this game no problem.

i already know valve is going to knock this out of the park before the reveal.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

1% chance.
This is a flagship product for SteamVR. It would make no sense, contradict everything they've said, and break interoperability if they somehow didn't let the game work with all SteamVR compatible hardware.
The game is near certainly designed alongside Index and will take advantage of that hardware, but they can have workarounds in the game to mitigate and ensure compatibility with all other hardware

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Highly unlikely but how crazy would it be if the hardware we're speculating about is something that mitigates the vestibular disconnect? Probably not, but that would be cool.

Well, we all know that's a project Valve has toyed with, but that feels like the kind of thing that has to go through tons of testing before it's allowed to screw around with people's inner ear.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I started to get acclimated to the CV1 but every time i would spend time away from it, motion sickness would come back again. Hopefully this headset will make it at least a bit more tolerable.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It will be an interview, apparently 21 minutes long or so? With Geoff Keighley. It's unknown if a trailer will drop alongside or be part of the video.

They are likely saving the bigger guns for the Game Awards.

Where did this interview info come from? I know there was a potential leaked transcript, but I just assumed that would be at the Game Awards if true.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Where did this interview info come from? I know there was a potential leaked transcript, but I just assumed that would be at the Game Awards if true.
In the leaked transcript they specifically say we'll see more at The Game Awards so it should drop before then, and rumors were it would be when the reveal would happen (this was before the official announcement).

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
In the leaked transcript they specifically say we'll see more at The Game Awards so it should drop before then, and rumors were it would be when the reveal would happen (this was before the official announcement).
I'm kinda not feeling like the Final Hours interview is gonna drop tomorrow. I'm gonna stop expecting anything now.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
https://widmovr.com/product/valve-index-prescription-lens-adapters/
Hey guys, do these work and are they good? Are there better/cheaper versions anywhere? Just wondering what the market is like for these because I could really use them.
VR Optician is also a good alternative. I really like the Vive Adapters I ordered from them.

I have the Index lenses from VR Optician, with them on you can't turn the FOV knob to 100%, can only go around 80-90%. The lenses work fine for the most part, unfortunately my last eye test didn't really get an accurate read on my left eye so I may need to re-order in a year or so.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If VR only it'll be an easy pass. Prequel or side quest material? Even more boring.

I say this as someone with hundreds of hours in Orange Box time, with a Steam profile made in its first year.

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't a precedent for Valve doing this before but, bear with me, what if we get a playable demo to tide us over prior to release? I know I know, highly unlikely, demos cost too much, distract from resources otherwise used to finish the main game, yadda yadda, but I can still dream dammit.

Even something as simple as a DOG type arena like in HL2 that has you playing fetch using the Grabbity Gloves would be enough for me.

A little over 12 hours to go!

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
There isn't a precedent for Valve doing this before but, bear with me, what if we get a playable demo to tide us over prior to release? I know I know, highly unlikely, demos cost too much, distract from resources otherwise used to finish the main game, yadda yadda, but I can still dream dammit.

Even something as simple as a DOG type arena like in HL2 that has you playing fetch using the Grabbity Gloves would be enough for me.

A little over 12 hours to go!
personally im ok with no demo but a demo would be hype af.

if anything we will have Boneworks to give us something to play in between (comes out the 10th for those that dont know)

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
If VR only it'll be an easy pass. Prequel or side quest material? Even more boring.

I say this as someone with hundreds of hours in Orange Box time, with a Steam profile made in its first year.

Not into VR myself, but I wouldn't write off a new Half Life this easily. Valve wouldn't be doing this unless it'd be top quality, game is going to be a big deal I bet.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
personally im ok with no demo but a demo would be hype af.

if anything we will have Boneworks to give us something to play in between (comes out the 10th for those that dont know)

Yeah I'm counting the days for Boneworks, hoping to find a good deal on a new gpu during Black Friday/Cyber Monday because I'm pretty sure my 970 ain't gonna cut it for that one (or HL: Alyx for that matter).