• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Looks really good.
I'm not a huge fan of VR after trying it out at a friends place and have no interest of buying the hardware for a single game but I'm happy Valve at least released a new Half Life game.

RedSeim

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
What keeps me from getting too hyped is that on the video we can't see any clue about the "travel mechanics". I'm afraid we are going to get another game with a teleportation system, which indeed helps avoiding the VR sickness for many, but on the other hand, feels like a very uninmersive experience to me. And VR is all about inmersion!

Does anyone have some clues on how this game will handle this?? I can't seem to figure anything out from the video.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
What keeps me from getting too hyped is that on the video we can't see any clue about the "travel mechanics". I'm afraid we are going to get another game with a teleportation system, which indeed helps avoiding the VR sickness for many, but on the other hand, feels like a very uninmersive experience to me. And VR is all about inmersion!

Does anyone have some clues on how this game will handle this?? I can't seem to figure anything out from the video.
EJ6pOwjW4AEwa9d

Spark

Dec 6, 2017

It says on the store page. It supports multiple modes including free movement.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

EJ6n-9jX0AYKu0r.jpg

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
So, just wondering... what exactly is the difference between port begging (which is frowned upon in this board) and complaining about a game being for VR instead of a regular PC?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
If Valve were really insane (and sometimes I have no reason to believe they aren't), they will have an impressive sale on the Index hardware a month or so before Alyx launches, or if not them, HTC or Oculus might smell an opportunity.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
If Valve were really insane (and sometimes I have no reason to believe they aren't), they will have an impressive sale on the Index hardware a month or so before Alyx launches, or if not them, HTC or Oculus might smell an opportunity.
I think their thought process is the inverse. Move units of the Index by bundling it with the highly anticipated game.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
No that would be a terrible idea with everyone buying it now. Maybe another company would do that but not Valve.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't tried VR, but I'm learning a lot about the experience by reading this thread. Does this mean you generally can't really walk around freely in first person VR as you would in any other first person game?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried VR, but I'm learning a lot about the experience by reading this thread. Does this mean you generally can't really walk around freely in first person VR as you would in any other first person game?
You can, but your eyes see movement while your body is telling your brain you're sitting still, so it can lead to motion sickness. One way to alleviate that is to simply let you teleport from place to place instead.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
You can, but your eyes see movement while your body is telling your brain you're sitting still, so it can lead to motion sickness. One way to alleviate that is to simply let you teleport from place to place instead.

Interesting. I had the complete opposite impression of what VR was all about. I really need to find someone who has a headset and try it out...sounds wild. It gives me an inkling of why people are like "you can't judge it until you've experienced it" because obviously it's nothing like playing a game I know in a fancy helmet. Sounds more like a highly immersive point and click game. And I don't mean that derisively.

So I guess my dream of a Portal 3 or Metroid Prime in VR would be more a nightmare unless the mechanics are changed significantly.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
It might seem remarkably obvious and simple, but did anyone try solving the motion sickness problem by just jiggling their feet up and down to simulate some form of movement?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I had the complete opposite impression of what VR was all about. I really need to find someone who has a headset and try it out...sounds wild. It gives me an inkling of why people are like "you can't judge it until you've experienced it" because obviously it's nothing like playing a game I know in a fancy helmet. Sounds more like a highly immersive point and click game. And I don't mean that derisively.

So I guess my dream of a Portal 3 or Metroid Prime in VR would be more a nightmare unless the mechanics are changed significantly.

In the interview with Geoff Keighley, one of the guys from Valve mentions that while trying to decide which franchise they wanted to bring to VR, they dismissed Portal because flinging you around like the game typically does would likely be too intense for most people.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man. This looks slick. I'm going to have to beef up my PC. Im really curious to see what Valve does with this. And I'm looking forward to more people joining the VR fold. Good times ahead.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
In the interview with Geoff Keighley, one of the guys from Valve mentions that while trying to decide which franchise they wanted to bring to VR, they dismissed Portal because flinging you around like the game typically does would likely be too intense for most people.

Totally makes sense. Well I'll just keep on hoping for a portal 3 in one shape or another...

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean you generally can't really walk around freely in first person VR as you would in any other first person game?

You can, but it needs training because of motion sickness and is often not the default option in many games.

a very simplified explanation:

VR is very immersive and it will foul your brain to believe to be in a room and to experience motion that isn't there.
Your eyes will communicate movement, but the sensors in your inner ear will (correctly) communicate that you are standing still. This will confuse your brain, and you'll feel motion sick. Something similar happens with some people on ships.
It's worse for some people and others nearly don't have it. I was able to do 30 minutes on my first time in a VR and free moving. You'll eventually adjust, but be careful during your first week and especially during your first virtual step, while standing still in the real world.

Teleportation or moving in your play area (really moving) is fine from the beginning, for most people.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
VR is very immersive and it will foul your brain to believe to be in a room and to experience motion that isn't there.
Your eyes will communicate movement, but the sensors in your inner ear will (correctly) communicate that you are standing still. This will confuse your brain, and you'll feel motion sick. Something similar happens with some people on ships.
It's worse for some people and others nearly don't have it. I was able to do 30 minutes on my first time in a VR and free moving. You'll eventually adjust, but be careful during your first week and especially during your first virtual step, while standing still in the real world.
Great explanation! Especially that last part about the fact that it is to be expected that a person may potentially adjust to the experience.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you guys. I had only seen the video. It's weird that they just didn't show any kind of movement on it and you have to go to the store page to see that info.
Don't think it's weird because it doesn't tell you much about the gameplay, only direct gameplay video does or playing it yourself. And I assume that that is where your interest was in the first place? Outside VR there are many variations of movement and they are so vastly different that an fps can be considered something completely different gameplaywise than another fps (I remember QUake-Halo-Killzone-CoD-Overwatch etc). How much of a 2004 HL2 fps this game will be movement wise is yet to be seen. I don't mean to be splitting hairs but we don't even know if you are able to jump and I seriously question you are even going to be very fast at all, are able to drive a buggy and so on (if you just meant to ask if it wasn't a teleport only or stationary turret sim then that was never going to be that, that would have been an instant image suicide for this game)

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds more like a highly immersive point and click game

Yes, but you can also hold weapons and really use them. The best games are where you take part and interact with the world around you. It's impossible to describe how breathtaking it is to float through a space station in Lone Echo. To push yourself around from walls, pull yourself to objects, pick them up, throw them. You aren't pressing "X" on your controller to operate a machine, you are pressing virtual buttons, with your virtual fingers that are correctly represented in the game world.

If you ever got the chance to test out VR: Try the Batman VR game. It's super expansive for what it is, but a really good 2h tech demo. Motion controls are a must have though.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
may potentially adjust to the experience.

It's not a may. It's like sailing, eventually everybody will adjust. Especially during long tours.
Our brains are wonderful, powerful machines and able to adept to incredible stuff. Like for example if you'd start
exclusively looking through special mirror glasses that 180° rotate your view, your brain would adjust after a couple of days and you'll see "normal" again.
While I'm at it. Or eyes actually see the world 180° rotated. Baby's just learn to correct it.

Last edited:

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a may. It's like sailing, eventually everybody will adjust. Especially during long tours.
Our brains are wonderful, powerful machines and able to adept to incredible stuff. Like for example if you'd start
exclusively looking through special mirror glasses that 180° rotate your view, your brain would adjust after a couple of days and you'll see "normal" again.
While I'm at it. Or eyes actually see the world 180° rotated. Baby's just learn to correct it.
Oh I know about all that stuff. It's just that there are bound to be people that - due to external factors - may potentially not adapt.

Knowing Valve employs psychologists/neuroscientists I could actually see them even investigating ways to mitigate negative effects in the beginning of VR use.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
was looking up what she's done - Firewatch. makes sense lol

I have to admit, I was pretty irritated when I heard that Campo Santo/Valve shelved Valley of Gods. But after hearing that the team is involved in Alyx made me even more excited for this game and the Campo Santo team. Valve apparently has been building a supergroup through aquisitions (Campo Santo) and cooperations (boneworks) with top developers over the past years and noone noticed. And Keighly knew all along....

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit, I was pretty irritated when I heard that Campo Santo/Valve shelved Valley of Gods. But after hearing that the team is involved in Alyx made me even more excited for this game and the Campo Santo team. Valve apparently has been building a supergroup through aquisitions (Campo Santo) and cooperations (boneworks) with top developers over the past years and noone noticed. And Keighly knew all along....
Technically we don't know the game has been shelved. I would think at worst the team has been working on ALYX and will return to Valley shortly.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fantastic, which only increases the pain lol.

Someone, somewhere amid the thousands of posts written about this game mentioned the Hydra from the Half-Life 2 beta, and I feel like VR would make sorting that critter out the most natural-feeling and understandable.

RedSeim

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
Don't think it's weird because it doesn't tell you much about the gameplay, only direct gameplay video does or playing it yourself. And I assume that that is where your interest was in the first place? Outside VR there are many variations of movement and they are so vastly different that an fps can be considered something completely different gameplaywise than another fps (I remember QUake-Halo-Killzone-CoD-Overwatch etc). How much of a 2004 HL2 fps this game will be movement wise is yet to be seen. I don't mean to be splitting hairs but we don't even know if you are able to jump and I seriously question you are even going to be very fast at all, are able to drive a buggy and so on (if you just meant to ask if it wasn't a teleport only or stationary turret sim then that was never going to be that, that would have been an instant image suicide for this game)
Ok, maybe I didn't explain myself properly. Even ignoring the fact it is a VR game, what looked VERY weird to me in the video was that the Character didn't move AT ALL. Every second in the video shows a static player, as if stuck to the ground while taking objects from shelves, looking to the enemies, etc.
Isn't it weird? It is! It would be weird not only in a VR game promotional video, but in any game. It just feels strange, and that'sl why it attracted my attention.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, maybe I didn't explain myself properly. Even ignoring the fact it is a VR game, what looked VERY weird to me in the video was that the Character didn't move AT ALL. Every second in the video shows a static player, as if stuck to the ground while taking objects from shelves, looking to the enemies, etc.
Isn't it weird? It is! It would be weird not only in a VR game promotional video, but in any game. It just feels strange, and that'sl why it attracted my attention.
The run to the shelf was at least roomscale-like, but yeah I don't remember seeing anything very dynamic that clearly implied quick and opposite strafing etc.
They either haven't shown that yet, or those sections are not there or rare... or, what I believe, they let you run(walk) around everywhere but try and design the encounters in exactly this way that it will be preferable to stay in place while they happen. If this is the case or not, or if that will be good or bad, we have yet to experience!

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017

The video opens with the player moving down the coridoor, and you can also see it at 0:57ish when she runs up to the shelves. I wouldn't worry too much though, they've clearly stated that there is free locomotion.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Now its weird you say that as the character moves in the literal first 10 seconds