• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Modders could probably be able to take the assets from HL: Alyx and re-engineer a basic FPS out of it and replace complex interactions with a single button press just so you can get through the story of it, but it will probably lose 99% of what makes the game actually interesting.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I guess they could completely redesign the game. If that counts as "coming to PC".

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I mean, yes.

Well, just make it work with a controller and/or M&K. I think there is too much $ left on the table for them not to do it.
If money was the goal, this wouldn't be a VR only game right now. The goal of this game is to drum up interest for VR and, by extension, drive people to Steam to buy VR games, along with inspiring other devs to make VR games (and put them on Steam). Plus of course to just satiate their own desire to make them because that's what they wanted to do. This is also why PSVR support is unlikely. Sure, they'd make extra money, but that's peanuts compared to what Steam brings in. Valve probably worries more about opportunity cost than whether or not their own games are profitable (though it obviously doesn't hurt).

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I mean, yes.

Well, just make it work with a controller and/or M&K. I think there is too much $ left on the table for them not to do it.
Valve is not a company driven by profit only. Youre gonna have to wait for a modder to redesign the game.

Now, theres a decent chance itll come to psvr2 depending on how that shakes out

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is not coming to non VR. Earning as much money as possible with game development isn't the prime objective for Valve, or we would have had Half Life 3/Alyx a long time ago. I'm not saying valve is lazy or not doing anything though. It is quiet the opposite: Steam is such a great service for a reason after all. They just released a system where you can stream your couch co-op game to a friend, so you can play it together. Only the host needs the game. It's like long range couch gaming, powered by valves streaming tech.

Other, non PC VR systems? If they are powerful enough and the controllers are good. I actually see that happening. Valve is very inclusive with their Steam VR implementation. Competition (oculus), third party or their own VR stuff. Everybody is welcome to the party. More people having VR equipment would mean more developers making better VR games, and consoles are a big part of the equation here. If HL:A is a success and PSVR2 a thing we could maybe get a Splinter Cell VR tripe A experience form Ubi at some point in the future. Or something else cool.

And if you don't want to: Traditional games aren't going anywhere. I guarantee it.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Really hard to redesign something that requires 2 independent limbs like what VR gives you. I bet we'll see a bunch of stuff that requires us to do 2 things at once.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
The opening shot of the trailer, the glowing creature that skitters along the floor, that's something we've not seen before, right?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yikes at the Steam forum page for this game. I hope Valve doesnt take all the anti-VR voices to heart, this game is going to get the hardest review bombing in gaming history.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Half-Life 2 for the millionth time, and spotting Eli's prosthetic leg made me think he'll (a) lose his leg in H-L:A and (b) we'll get to help set him up with a new one.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished replying HL2 and its Episodes. And wow, still as amazing as ever. I always get a huge urge to fire up Hammer and try to make levels of my own. I absolutely love the level design in Half-Life games.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Other, non PC VR systems? If they are powerful enough and the controllers are good. I actually see that happening. Valve is very inclusive with their Steam VR implementation. Competition (oculus), third party or their own VR stuff. Everybody is welcome to the party. More people having VR equipment would mean more developers making better VR games, and consoles are a big part of the equation here. If HL:A is a success and PSVR2 a thing we could maybe get a Splinter Cell VR tripe A experience form Ubi at some point in the future. Or something else cool.

And if you don't want to: Traditional games aren't going anywhere. I guarantee it.

I'm not so sure, valve seemed to have got fed up with consoles in some interview on eurogamer a while back. As for valve being inclusive with vr, they are as long as your hardware works with steamvr it's not like they are selling this on the oculus store.

Nov 8, 2017
I imagine that if Xbox Two and PS5 support more advanced VR (even just off the shelf support for Microsoft maybe) then it'll come to console. I definitely don't think Valve is opposed to the idea of it being on consoles.

I'll wait till next year and see what the lay of the land is. I'd love an Index and shit but a) it's not out yet in my region and b) it costs one billion USD. But I also don't want a second rate experience with cheaper stuff. I'll just wait and see how it all goes.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
VR is the future.

And when I say VR, I mean both standing, room scale AND couch potato VR, which is basically regular console gaming, except instead of a 60" TV, you get your very own iMax theater, with 3D that actually doesn't suck (all movie theater 3D sucks right now). That is what VR is headed towards, once we get foveated rendering and 16K screens, etc.

It's not going to happen this year, or in 5, but it will eventually happen. Humanity is pretty darn good right now at making tiny ultra-high pixel density screens.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Is Viktor Antonov on board for this? His art direction is something I really liked about HL2 (and dishonored)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Is Viktor Antonov on board for this? His art direction is something I really liked about HL2 (and dishonored)

He left the ZeniMax family in 2017 to join Darewise, but he was removed from the list of team members at some point between May and September. I highly doubt he's wound up back at Valve, though; it's been over a decade since he left, and his return seems like something that would've reared its head by now.