• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty well known, he wrote parts for The Lab as well.
Other writers include Erik Walpow, Jay Pinkerton, Campo Santo folks inc Chris Remo, they also had in a few other supporting writers like Rob Yescombe, and certainly others whose names are not well known
You literally just confirmed what I was saying, that he didn't write all the dialogue in the Lab.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Probably going to require using some propitiatory Valve headset API for the best experience right?

Why would you jump to that, when Valve created OpenVR - the open vendor agnostic API, and donated it to Khronos Group as the foundation for OpenXR - the open api for VR / AR hardware, for which most companies have unified on, even the Sony and MS are collaborating on it

SteamVR is based on that - vendor agnostic to hardware - this is what Valve do - support the Open PC ecosystem

Oct 27, 2017
After being burned so bad with EP3 I am a little jaded. But god damn if HL isn't my favorite (and I would argue most influential) franchise ever.
A little giddy with what this may be...

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I'm so happy to see it finally announced. If only Laszlo was still around to see this. He was the finest mind of his generation.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
This is disappointing for me considering I love HL and VR has been so mediocre for me. I'll check it out at some point, but this isn't what I was hoping for when I hear HL.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
why is this not getting like 47 times more hype? it's like if half life 3 got announced and nobody cared. ok, not exactly like that...

vr that much of a turnoff for people?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not going to port beg but if Valve needs to diversify their bonds, I hope they explore other VR devices as well.
Steam is headset agnostic and Valve doesnt believe in exclusives (that doesn't mean they will go out of their way to release on other platforms). You should be able to play with HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Windows Mixed Reality

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Probably going to require using some propitiatory Valve headset API for the best experience right?

what part of Valve's history indicates that they would do something like this

these posts are sad, literally can't be excited about anything and have to just think of every possible bad thing that's going to ruin it

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Sorry, I'm really not very knowledgeable about VR but are there any caveats to using these cheaper headsets?
Enthusiasts will notice things like... higher resolution, field of view, colours, shadow smearing, brightness, lots of lil technical things.

Casual user will probably just notice the different in hand input. We have wands, Touch controllers (partial finger tracking) and Index Controllers (full finger tracking + no grip strap)

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I think we expect the physics stuff to be amazing but aside from this I'm most interested to see just what HL: Alyx looks like. A continuation of The Lab/Portal aesthetic, or perhaps a much bigger bump in detail than that? VR doesn't need melting face visuals to get its point across but it certainly helps. Regardless the wait for Thursday...cartmanfreeze.jpg

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Sorry, I'm really not very knowledgeable about VR but are there any caveats to using these cheaper headsets?
Yes, I know worse tracking is one of the disadvantages. But they probably have a much better cost benefit than a Vive. I only used the Vive I have. I would wait for the list of compatible vr headsets with this game to begin considering a purchase. I just saw an Acer 1440p headset for $200 on Amazon. I have no idea how good it is

Mar 23, 2018
Half-Life.

That's a really powerful word in gaming, Mr. Freeman. You have to know when you are ready to use it.

I'm hoping this game lives up to that and pushes VR and thus gaming forward.

Also hope they think about some accessibility choices for people who want to play it but require an alternative. RE: motion sickness or disability

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
why is this not getting like 47 times more hype? it's like if half life 3 got announced and nobody cared. ok, not exactly like that...

It's not mainstream.
I consider myself a big time gamer, yet I don't have a VR kit, and I dont honestly plan on buying one, even for such a big game, but I hope they can convince me though.
So i'm guessing this is why there isn't 47x more hype.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

It's pretty good hype, but it isn't "Half Life 3" and there is still a very big cost gap for people, and there's a lot that don't own a PC for it either.

Imagine a new Mario game by Nintendo announced exclusively for Neo Geo in 1992. You wouldn't hope to ever play that.

Yersgu

Oct 4, 2019
To modders out there, is it possible to mod a VR game to make it playable with keyboard and mouse or it's just a fanta sea?

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Cannot fucking wait for this. On one hand it's been leaked and expected for basically the entire year or longer, but on the other it's official now and that makes a huge difference in hype. And we have a release timeframe!

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
To modders out there, is it possible to mod a VR game to make it playable with keyboard and mouse or it's just a fanta sea?

That would be like modding a PC FPS to work on a mobile phone with touchscreen controls. Yes, it's possible but it wouldn't be the same game when you're done.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
People on this board don't play PC games so they evidently don't know

but holy shit the Half Life/Portal universe and lore is so amazing. i can't believe we're going back to it. The lore dumps in these games are the best part. Holy shit.

I hope we see some part of the Seven Hour war.
Now there's something I haven't heard about in a while.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Half-Life and Valve are both trending on U.S. Twitter, so I think there's plenty of hype. Not as much as something called Half-Life 3 would've been, though.

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is much more exciting to me than a flat Half-Life 3 would have been. Definitely will want to upgrade at least my GPU before this comes out though. With Boneworks coming out soon, and a VR Half-Life game coming out, it's a great time for VR.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
If the game is playable with a controller, it can be played with M+K. If the game is hand/motion tracking exclusive....it's maybe possible with some hacking, but not probable.