• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit, I was pretty irritated when I heard that Campo Santo/Valve shelved Valley of Gods. But after hearing that the team is involved in Alyx made me even more excited for this game and the Campo Santo team. Valve apparently has been building a supergroup through aquisitions (Campo Santo) and cooperations (boneworks) with top developers over the past years and noone noticed. And Keighly knew all along....

How does Boneworks tie into this? Did that team contribute? I remember tinfoil hatting early on and saying "I wonder if this will stealth be a Half-Life game!" but that seemingly didn't pan out.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Could you point out one thing from the trailer that was innovative or new with the genre?
It's the overall high bar they're setting. There are scenarios like the venus flytrap/hand thing that are just riveting in their mechanically-motivated design, but also, none of the interactions the player does in the trailer feel forced- when the player interacts with objects that impede them from acquiring ammo, it plays out with a level of authenticity that I've never experienced before. I mean, Budget cuts initially piqued my interest for the same basic reason, but this makes Budget Cuts look like a proof of concept.

RedSeim

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
Now its weird you say that as the character moves in the literal first 10 seconds
Ok but ONLY in the literal first seconds.

and hey. I'm not a hater ,ok? XD
Looks like some people is taking offence at my comment. The video just felt weird somehow to me. That' all. Period.
I really hope it ends up being that AAA that VR need so much, seriously. If there's a game that could help VR systems to grow their installed base, this is it.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Am I the only one to see the resemblance? ;)
bvwxy33ej4041.png
Haha. That is it. Could not figure out who he recognized.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
How does Boneworks tie into this? Did that team contribute? I remember tinfoil hatting early on and saying "I wonder if this will stealth be a Half-Life game!" but that seemingly didn't pan out.

We know they've been working closely with Valve so they probably bounced concepts and ideas off of each other. They both clearly have a very similar level of interaction with objects in the scene and extremely impressive physics-based gameplay.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Was never really into trying VR anytime soon, but seeing stuff like this peaks my curiosity. Seems super immersive. By the time I get into it years from now, I hope floating hands isn't a thing.

GrouchyAffectionateCockatiel-size_restricted.gif

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Boneworks is on the VALVE master game package, only in-house games are on that programme. So they probably talked about vr technology.

It isn't. It was taken out many months ago. High likelihood that both were testing each others games at one stage, and that's all.

Alyx isn't supporting this natively? That's surprising, always seemed like a popular solution.

I actually find it worse, but more so it's going to be awful in a game where you need to move and use your hands simultaneously. That kind of mechanic would be infuriating in a highly tense fast moving situation, where you may be relying on instincts. In something like Climbey, it's an entirely different matter

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Some thoughts and info from Alana Pearce, who knew about the game before announcement. This is apparently "HL3", which fits well with Valve's recommendation of playing HL2:EP2 before Alyx

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Was never really into trying VR anytime soon, but seeing stuff like this peaks my curiosity. Seems super immersive. By the time I get into it years from now, I hope floating hands isn't a thing.

until we get elbow sensors or something the game can't know how your arms are positioned. seeing them in the wrong position would probably be more immersion breaking than the floating hands

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
until we get elbow sensors or something the game can't know how your arms are positioned. seeing them in the wrong position would probably be more immersion breaking than the floating hands
It really doesn't matter as much as you think it does. Good example of what to expect something similar to is Pavlov VR. It's basically Counter-Strike for VR, where you can one-hand or two-hand weapons, and aiming of weapons you're holding with two hands is determined by the position of both of your hands. It's very accurate and works really well. Stuff like that moment of moving things on the shelf around were exactly the kind of thing I would want out of a VR Half-Life.

The prospect of picking a headcrab off your face and throwing it at Combine soldiers sounds amazing.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
You can, but your eyes see movement while your body is telling your brain you're sitting still, so it can lead to motion sickness. One way to alleviate that is to simply let you teleport from place to place instead.
I'm really curious how something like teleporting in a Half-Life game will work. The way they described it, you have to hold the button for a few seconds to actually teleport, which I assume represents the movement from place to place, but then you lose out on things like being able to move sideways and shoot in front of you.

When I played Pavlov VR, it was jarring at first to be standing still, but moving at the same time, but I eventually got more used to it and it's quite fun. I'm glad they are giving options for movement and other controls though. Good on them for doing so.

VR's biggest barriers right now are usability by users with various disabilities, price, and space, in that order. I think things like the movement options will help with the first issue, but I do think that more time and money needs to be invested into finding more solutions there so more people can enjoy VR. Price is getting better, but still isn't quite there yet. Oculus Quest is very close to an ideal price for VR. Space is something I see Valve addressing with this game too, as there's options to play room scale, standing still, or sitting.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

Boneworks is quite similiar to this, and actually goes further beyond and does indeed have a full body. However, like how Half-Life 2 was predated by physics games that tried even crazier things than it did, it went with a more simple design that was full of polish.

I'd put money on the Boneworks physics not being as polished, but I'm still very much looking forward to the game as an expansion of how further VR can go in a potential Half-Life 3 VR.

And within 5 years, full body tracking cameras will be standard and accurately track all your limbs with no inbetweens.

(Boneworks Gif)

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I am pretty glad that they let Boneworks take the spotlight for a bit and held off on going public with HL:A. They really deserve it and I'm glad Boneworks gets to launch a few months earlier to give us a teaser.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Boneworks is quite similiar to this, and actually goes further beyond and does indeed have a full body. However, like how Half-Life 2 was predated by physics games that tried even crazier things than it did, it went with a more simple design that was full of polish.

I'd put money on the Boneworks physics not being as polished, but I'm still very much looking forward to the game as an expansion of how further VR can go in a potential Half-Life 3 VR.

And within 5 years, full body tracking cameras will be standard and accurately track all your limbs with no inbetweens.

(Boneworks Gif)

It does have a full body, but we don't know until we try on December 10th if the body will feel like it's properly aligned with mine, honestly out of experience with other VR titles, I find it always more immersion breaking when my body or arm positions aren't aligned fully with my real life body even when it's just slightly, it immediately breaks immersion for me, while floating hands you forget about in less than 5 minutes, but to each their own I guess, let's see how Boneworks will turn out :D

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It does have a full body, but we don't know until we try on December 10th if the body will feel like it's properly aligned with mine, honestly out of experience with other VR titles, I find it always more immersion breaking when my body or arm positions aren't aligned fully with my real life body even when it's just slightly, it immediately breaks immersion for me, while floating hands you forget about in less than 5 minutes, but to each their own I guess, let's see how Boneworks will turn out :D
I hope Boneworks let's people turn off the arms and body and just leave the hands.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd put money on the Boneworks physics not being as polished

You can already see this by just comparing both gifs you posted. The items in HL:Alyx move way smoother and natural.
For example: Take notice how smoothly Alyx is moving a white bucket at the beginning in the trailer. It's either scripted or you really have a lot of control here. Could be amazing.
I'm also pretty sure there will be some physics based levels with less traditionell shooting in HLA. Just like Ravenholm in HL2. No idea what they have in mind though.

That said I'm absolutely down for Boneworks. Seems to be very cool and what was show so far is impressive!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Well Valve already recommend players replay EP2 before Alyx, and they've been clear this isn't a spin-off, or episodic title, but the next part of the HL story. So her point still remains valid at the moment
Oh no, I understand why Valve would recommend players to play Ep2 first.
It's a thing to do for many things as it gives a different look on things. Same for Star Wars or other franchises happening in a different order for example.

I'm just saying it's not HL3, based on what they've said (sure they could lie), but more importantly what they've shown. They could say internally "that's our HL3" (although The Final Hours indicate they're not ready to work on HL3 before reviving the IP first), but that doesn't mean it is HL3 if you see what I mean.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Oh no, I understand why Valve would recommend players to play Ep2 first.
It's a thing to do for many things as it gives a different look on things. Same for Star Wars or other franchises happening in a different order for example.

I'm just saying it's not HL3, based on what they've said (sure they could lie), but more importantly what they've shown. They could say internally "that's our HL3" (although The Final Hours indicate they're not ready to work on HL3 before reviving the IP first), but that doesn't mean it is HL3 if you see what I mean.

No - there is specific narrative reason for doing so, that becomes apparent during the game. ie it will continue the story - despite being a prequel.
They are steering clear of 3 imo to not draw the conclusion that this will directly follow EP2. From the information so far, it seems that Alyx will be integral to the ongoing story.

Zm5f9C4.jpg

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
No - there is specific narrative reason for doing so, that becomes apparent during the game. ie it will continue the story - despite being a prequel.
They are steering clear of 3 imo to not draw the conclusion that this will directly follow EP2. From the information so far, it seems that Alyx will be integral to the ongoing story.

Zm5f9C4.jpg
Yes, that's what I'm saying.
There's a narrative reason, and it can be found in many ways. Like G-Man's interest in Alyx shown in Ep2.
Of course she's integral to the story, anyone that played HL2 and episodes will notice that.

Oct 27, 2017
I have one of the 2019 iMacs with the radeon Vega 48 gpu. I'm willing to install Windows on this, but does anyone know if oculus quest link even work with this kind of setup?