Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Mainstream VR devices have been available for several years, but VR itself is still not in the mainstream of gaming. That may make our decision to award our Game of the Year to a VR title puzzling for some--after all, despite the increasing affordability of VR hardware, it's still relatively costly to get into this space. The physical accessibility barrier that can hinder playability certainly played an important factor in our deliberations, too. We also recognize that as GameSpot staff, we're privileged to have access to the proper hardware. But our selection criteria also weighs quality, innovation, enjoyment, and how these experiences transform our idea of what games can be. Half-Life: Alyx excels in every regard, pushing the medium forward as something wholly unique. It exceeded the monumental expectations of a beloved yet enigmatic franchise that went dark for 13 years, and did so in such convincing fashion.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-of-the-year-2020-half-life-alyx/1100-6485617/

The other nominees were:

- Yakuza 7
- The Last of Us 2
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake
- Animal Crossing
- Spiritfarer
- Hades
- Demon's Souls
- Persona 5 Royal

You can see their thoughts on each of these games here.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
13 SENTINELS ROBBED YET AGAIN!

Alyx is sick tho

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Honestly surprised. Based on conversation on their podcast I sometimes keep up with, I might've expected something different, but those hosts clearly don't represent the whole.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Crazy since Boneworks did nearly everything in VR better.
Including making people motion sick!

Only being semi-facetious, of course. Boneworks is fun but the IK-based nature of it can be really rough for a lot of people.

Alyx is a phenomenal game. The modding tools are really interesting, too.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
They also picked Link Between Worlds ober TLOU 1 back in 2013, lets see if history repeats itself and we see some salt.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Excellent, and It's my GOTY as well.

Didn't we just have a thread asking why Half-Life: Alyx was being skipped over in GOTY awards?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Deserved. My favorite campaign this gen.
I do wish there were more weapons/weapon upgrades. Besides that its my favorite VR game. Dat ending....

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy since Boneworks did nearly everything in VR better.
Boneworks does far more, but imo that doesn't necessarily make it better. That's only speaking mechanics, not even getting into the actual game/level design.

Most VR games don't make me feel sick, but I couldn't play Boneworks for more than 10 minutes without a full-body awful feeling. I could play Alyx for hours no problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Deserved. The fact that Valve managed to bring Half Life back with a new entry and manage to deliver after all these years is a pretty big feat.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where was Wasteland 3 and Microsoft Flight Simulator on that list?!

Wack.

Another day, another disappointing mainstream big outlet list.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Totally deserved, Alyx felt fresh and new while having the high level of quality and polish you can expect from a new Valve game. A must play experience if you have a VR headset.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm generally not in the VR target market as it just doesn't fit my lifestyle.

But in spite of that I'm both happy for Alyx and just a tad jealous of VR peeps too, lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Very cool to see a VR only game getting this honour from a big, respected site like Gamespot.

The game fucking rules.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
It's well deserved, but it's amazing how often Ori's getting snubbed for nominations this year. It and HLA were my top 2 games of the year and I go back and forth as to which is the best.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Valve! It does appear to be the defining VR experience. It's a shame I'll never be able to play it.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Boneworks, but even ignoring the comfort issues I totally understand why most people (myself included) would take Alyx over it. Alyx is a way more varied and polished game, even if the nuts-and-bolts physics-driven mechanics aren't as impressive.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting. Taking out the economics factor it's the beat thing they played but the economics factor is why it's so good and hard to play

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
100% deserved. Amazing game gated behing expensive tech, but that doesn't make it less amazing.

I hope it gets ported to PSVR2 or whatever on PS5 (no way PS4 can handle it) so more people can play it!

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Well deserved.

On a side note, if all of the outlets who were part of the voting committee for The Game Awards end up having different GotYs than TLOU2 it will make it seem a little odd as to why that game won.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Well deserved!
Amazing game. Initial hours screamed next-gen until one becomes acclimatized but great all the way. Looking forward to play it again on better hardware than a 980Ti.

Gamespot also gave another outlier Goty in 2009 in Demon's Souls.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Great game. It doesn't quite make the top of my list because I had a lot of issues with nauseating, flickering loading screens but it really is an achievement.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Congratulations.
Unfortunally don't have a PC and VR headset able to play it, but is one of the games that makes me jelous of those who do.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Well deserved.

On a side note, if all of the outlets who were part of the voting committee for The Game Awards end up having different GotYs than TLOU2 it will make it seem a little odd as to why that game won.
Probably used a ranked voting system. A game can win by ranking high on everyone's list but few no.1