• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's been in development since last year and still WIP. It looks playable enough for me, should be probably fine for a story mode playthrough.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it will actually be a great game without vr. So much what made it my goty was vr specific, take that away and I suspect it will be a very average shooter.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Looking at that it could be cool for those that just want to experience the story, but it also seems like 100 times easier.
Like a singe enemies actually feel like a much bigger threat in VR, but here in the video the players deals with all of them extremely fast.

They also have to automate many processes that you do manually in the actual game, which is really core to the experience.

This will never be as good as playing the gamenin VR or a game designed for non-VR from the ground up.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
I played it on a CV1! I honestly had a really good time playing it seated, definitely give it a shot.
Really can't be fucked to do the whole setup again, and even back when I had made space for it I would still bang my hands into the desk or wall. And now I have my OLED TV within arm's reach of my desk, so no way am I risking it ^^'

Maybe in a few years once we've moved into a house, but not before.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I get why this gets made (because you can, and therefore, someone will), but I don't understand why you would want to play this. You might as well watch a let's play of the VR version and perhaps have a vicariously immersive exoerience through the streamers eyes and reactions.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Hope people keep their expectations in check if this mod is the only way they can experience Alyx.

It's going to lose so much from the VR side, but this looks like a very cool way for people to at least experience the story.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
699057922528903246.png

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
The game is Half Life: Alyx, though? This isn't "Half Life: Alyx Skyrim total conversion mod" it's just changing the control method.

But the control method and is the core experience in this game. In fact, if you look at the game from a "flat gaming"-perspective, it's a pretty tame shooter with much too small encounters.
In VR with the added immersion and interactivity, it really changes the game. Yes it may be Half-Life: Alyx and you can enjoy the story. But it will be a completely different game...

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for people to play it this way and then claim how it's not that great. Totally missing the point of why this game was made in the first place. A total waste of time to deliver an indefinitely worse experience IMHO.

I get why this is being made. Not everyone can handle VR and not everyone can afford VR. The first thing sucks, but it's just like people who can't handle rollercoasters. It sucks, but not everything is made for everybody. VR will get more affordable in the future. We are already at a point where a standalone VR headset is cheaper than any current-gen console and even the Switch.

And Half-Life: Alyx will most likely be ported to other systems as well. This will be a VR evergreen. So there is no rush in experiencing it now.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
The VR experience was interesting but I never found a spot where it didn't look annoyingly blurry in Quest 2.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very nice to see progress on this. I did play roughly a third of the game at a friend's place and enjoyed it immensely, to the point where I can't see myself liking a non-VR version as much. It'd be akin to playing Wii Sports with traditional controls.

Once this works, however, it'd be cool if they could mod it to have longer and more involved combat encounters.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
but you wouldn't be playing the same game...
Yeah it obviously would have the same level layout and enemy placement, but even if the damage numbers of the weapons are the same, the actual game mechanics itself would be totally different.

The levels are designed extremely small in this, that I could see people walk away very underwhelmed by this.

One of the coolest gun fights you have early in the game is against like 3 Combine soldiers, which felt extremely thrilling in VR, but I can see you deal with them in seconds with the extremely steady aim you have with a mouse.

Also the whole panic of remembering how to reload the weapons while an emey is right in front of you is probably totally eliminated as you most likely just press R.

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
I will also go with why? I know people want to play it but it will be a very crappy game in non VR. Everybody is going to be disappointed and it's going to be their fault. The game won't work outside of Vr at all. Every encounter will be pretty poor and should be finished like in a couple of hours.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Good for the people that can't own/handle VR.
Not going to deny that you lose something in the transition, though.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I suspect a lot of people who will play this will wonder what all the fuss was about, as a lot of the game is really built and designed around you being in the headset when experiencing this game.

Having said that, I would still recommend that people that don't have VR check this out, as if you are invested in HL lore and have somehow been not spoiled by the ending of this game, I'd say you will be very entertained by the story. Whether or not HL3 is in VR, the ending of Alyx is so significant for the franchise that I am certain that HL3's story will build off the reveals set out in the VR title.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I mean, people who use this would fully understand that they're not getting the full experience.

It's not that hard to imagine. Just let them be.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
For someone that suffers of motion sickness every time that plays more than 5 minutes with a VR headset, this is a great news!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is technically playable, in the definition of the word, but you're still not playing the same game. Playing HL Alyx this way will just be an incredibly bad to mediocre Half-life game. All the levels are too small and claustrophobic (in a bad way) to play this way.

Alyx's gameplay mechanics work BECAUSE the game is in VR. This mod automates a lot of the processes that ARE gameplay. Reloading is just pressing a button rather than taking ammo out of your backpack and loading it into your gun. Doing it in VR when you have 2-3 enemies coming at you can be thrilling and stressful (in a good way) and doing it with this mod loses all of that. There's a specific section later on in the game that's focused on horror that I can't see working quite near as well without VR.

I get that not everyone can afford VR, but that is the way the game is intended to be played. This mod would be like someone just making a mod of Mario 64 that makes all the levels two dimensions: you're not playing the same game.

Just watch a playthrough of it on YouTube and you'll get a better experience than this mod can possibly offer.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, people who use this would fully understand that they're not getting the full experience.

It's not that hard to imagine. Just let them be.

You will absolutely see some people being disappointed by it and comments like, "Game wasn't that special. I played the flat mod version and I'm actually glad I never forked out for VR in the end".

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is neat but it is fundamentally not the same game at all.

Kinda like trying to convert a 3D game into a 2D sidescroller.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't think Alyx will be half of the experience without VR. And not in a 'you won't feel the same' but in a 'most of the game is designed around being able to use your hands in a 3D space and quickly duck/move your head around in 1:1 space'.

This is like taking Super Mario World and saying 'well this controller here has no jump button so I've made a mod for the game that removes all of the enemies and pits so you can just run through it all'.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
Alyx without VR is not Alyx. People who don't understand that is because they didn't play the game in VR

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
"They were so obsessed with whether or not they could, they never stopped to think whether they should."

Honestly, I can't see people enjoying this much. It offers very little in terms of story (outside of the last 10 or so minute cutscene) and most enemy encounters are very small for FPS standards, they're only threatening and difficult to deal with because it's in VR. So I don't imagine gameplay or story will satisfye most. I guess puzzles are still fine, though some of the precision required in a few could be frustrating with limited controls. Honestly, outside if this being from a big franchise, I don't imagine it will be very fun or have much value with those aspects removed.

It's a game that's made and thrives on you being inside the world and being able to manipulate it realistically. You really think anyone is going to care about the liquid physics in random bottles, or drawing on glass when it's not in VR? A lot of what's cool in this game is the sort of stuff HL2 worked out 20 years ago, it's just that it was applied to VR for the first time now.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
This is like taking Super Mario World and saying 'well this controller here has no jump button so I've made a mod for the game that removes all of the enemies and pits so you can just run through it all'.

Or peripheral-less games. Time Crisis on a controller, Rock Band but you're on WASD. You can do it, but it really isn't the same.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda like trying to convert a 3D game into a 2D sidescroller.

I get that not everyone can afford VR, but that is the way the game is intended to be played. This mod would be like someone just making a mod of Mario 64 that makes all the levels two dimensions: you're not playing the same game.

These comparisons aren't hyperbole, they're spot on.

As a way to experience the story, I think a mod like this is pretty cool. But as a way to experience Alyx, it's completely compromised by the switch and I do think people will be disappointed.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the general consensus on this game doesn't change over the next few years as people play the flat version. By all means mod the game to be playable non-VR, that's the beauty of PC and mods. Plenty of games have been modified to support VR when the game didn't previously and that has mostly been fine in terms of reception.