• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Random question: is there anything I can do to rescue a save game that has me stuck in the ceiling? I faced off against a bunch of headcrabs and predictably lost, but then the autosave just before that has me stuck above a doorway and I can't seem to get out by either crouching down to the floor in the real world or by using the teleporting controls. I guess I'll only lose 10 more minutes of progress if I have to go back further but it'd be nice not to have to do so.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else having these random performance drops? I can be running the game perfectly for hours and then all of the sudden I'm getting like 2 fps and it's showing negative latency on the VR meter. Happened right in the middle of a very important story beat and it pissed me off majorly. Anyway to fix this?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
yea I know how to aim a firearm. My first upgrade was the reflex sight and it made things go downhill. Wish I could remove that.

My first upgrade was the extra ammo capacity for the handgun. Really satisfying to load up 2 clips, and nice to be able to load up an extra clip if you're below half capacity and not waste any ammo.

I bought the burst fire but never once used it in combat.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
The extra mag storage for the machinegun and grenade launcher for the shotgun are super nice as well. Grenade launcher especially, it gives you a line of where the grenade will fire and it explodes on contact. Made short work of heavy Combine.

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else having these random performance drops? I can be running the game perfectly for hours and then all of the sudden I'm getting like 2 fps and it's showing negative latency on the VR meter. Happened right in the middle of a very important story beat and it pissed me off majorly. Anyway to fix this?
I had some weird performance issues at times and based on what I'm seeing it's only a few of us that are having issues. I've not had something like that happen during gameplay but one time during a load screen the game just completely crapped out (basically 1fps with both screens flickering on and off one after the other) for a solid 30 seconds before it resolved itself.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
My first upgrade was the extra ammo capacity for the handgun. Really satisfying to load up 2 clips, and nice to be able to load up an extra clip if you're below half capacity and not waste any ammo.

The bullet reservoir is amazing. I could do without the reflex on my next playthrough. The burst came in handy for me though at least in some of those late game fights to really dish out damage fast. I was playing on hard and really needed it a few times. But I did use it sparingly.

I'm definitely going to try to play the game differently on my next playthrough.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

I have that upgrade and I didn't know you could load 2 clips lol.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I panicked from a headcrab and somehow noclipped through the scenery and fell to my death lmao.

This game is amazing.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished! My mind is full of fuck and I'm so happy!

Half-life is back and better than ever!!!!!!!!

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I straight up just tried to pick something up IRL by flicking my hand at it. This game has ruined me for a bit.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had some weird performance issues at times and based on what I'm seeing it's only a few of us that are having issues. I've not had something like that happen during gameplay but one time during a load screen the game just completely crapped out (basically 1fps with both screens flickering on and off one after the other) for a solid 30 seconds before it resolved itself.
Yeah, I figured it out in my end. It was my light house losing connection/tracking some how. May finish the rest of the game on my Rift S. The inside out tracking seems to work better.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't help myself but to constantly reload saves in this game.
I go through a fight and I use 2 grenades, 24 pistol shots, and 3 shotgun shells. I think "Not bad, but I bet I can do it using half the ammo." Reload save and try again.
I played one section 6 times because I wanted to do it without getting hit. So much fun.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on my second playthrough already, since this game is so damn good. But there's a moment at the start of the game that gave me pause. I'll spoiler tag the rest, but I really want to hear the thoughts of other folks regarding how this game affects Half-Life as a whole.
The game opens with the same spiel as it ends: "Subject: Alyx Vance, yada yada", etc. It's all clearly G-Man's work. But the fact that it appears at the onset of the game, and has been updated by the end indicates something to me: this entire game was G-Man's gambit. And not just G-Man as he was in Half-Life: Alyx, because this incarnation is clearly aware of the events of Episode 2. Potentially, he has some degree of foresight, or might even experience time in a non-linear fashion. Either way, the whole of Half-Life: Alyx is G-Man "scouting" Alyx to determine if this specific incarnation of her is going to be good enough to replace Gordon, given that in five years' time, Gordon will be plucked from G-Man's grasp by the Vortigaunts.

So, why does this game take place five years before Episode 2? Why didn't G-Man offer Alyx the chance to get Eli back then instead of before? Why doesn't she remember this opportunity to change the future in Half-Life 2 and onward? Simply put: the events of Half-Life 2's episodes, and possibly Half-Life 2 itself were a gambit to put the Combine in a position where they'd be weakened, Gordon would serve his purpose, and most importantly: Eli Vance would die. Because with the Combine weak and Gordon no longer subservient, the G-Man would need a new agent to do his bidding. Who better than the woman who, against all odds, fought alongside Gordon almost every step of the way, to the top of the Citadel and back?

Alyx in HLA is emotionally distraught. She's constantly terrified for her father, and his multiple brushes with death leave her terrified of the idea of losing him for good. This makes this younger, more brash incarnation of Alyx more susceptible to the manipulations of the G-Man than an older, wiser Alyx (with the guidance of Gordon and the warnings of her father of the G-Man).

In other words, G-Man picked this point in Alyx's life to "scout" her as "talent", as this is where she's at her most emotionally vulnerable. When offered the opportunity to reverse her father's inevitable death (which it's implied Eli knew was coming in Episode 2), she takes it without considering the consequences of such brash actions. A mysterious man who the Combine locked up in a vault offers her the chance of a lifetime, and doesn't detail what he expects in return.

No wonder Eli is losing his mind over Alyx's sudden disappeared by G-Man's hands at the end of the game. He knows his death was coming, and when his would-be murderer was instead a charred grub on the floor, it became immediately clear to him just how long G-Man has been playing his family like a fiddle.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on my second playthrough already, since this game is so damn good. But there's a moment at the start of the game that gave me pause. I'll spoiler tag the rest, but I really want to hear the thoughts of other folks regarding how this game affects Half-Life as a whole.
The game opens with the same spiel as it ends: "Subject: Alyx Vance, yada yada", etc. It's all clearly G-Man's work. But the fact that it appears at the onset of the game, and has been updated by the end indicates something to me: this entire game was G-Man's gambit. And not just G-Man as he was in Half-Life: Alyx, because this incarnation is clearly aware of the events of Episode 2. Potentially, he has some degree of foresight, or might even experience time in a non-linear fashion. Either way, the whole of Half-Life: Alyx is G-Man "scouting" Alyx to determine if this specific incarnation of her is going to be good enough to replace Gordon, given that in five years' time, Gordon will be plucked from G-Man's grasp by the Vortigaunts.

So, why does this game take place five years before Episode 2? Why didn't G-Man offer Alyx the chance to get Eli back then instead of before? Why doesn't she remember this opportunity to change the future in Half-Life 2 and onward? Simply put: the events of Half-Life 2's episodes, and possibly Half-Life 2 itself were a gambit to put the Combine in a position where they'd be weakened, Gordon would serve his purpose, and most importantly: Eli Vance would die. Because with the Combine weak and Gordon no longer subservient, the G-Man would need a new agent to do his bidding. Who better than the woman who, against all odds, fought alongside Gordon almost every step of the way, to the top of the Citadel and back?

Alyx in HLA is emotionally distraught. She's constantly terrified for her father, and his multiple brushes with death leave her terrified of the idea of losing him for good. This makes this younger, more brash incarnation of Alyx more susceptible to the manipulations of the G-Man than an older, wiser Alyx (with the guidance of Gordon and the warnings of her father of the G-Man).

In other words, G-Man picked this point in Alyx's life to "scout" her as "talent", as this is where she's at her most emotionally vulnerable. When offered the opportunity to reverse her father's inevitable death (which it's implied Eli knew was coming in Episode 2), she takes it without considering the consequences of such brash actions. A mysterious man who the Combine locked up in a vault offers her the chance of a lifetime, and doesn't detail what he expects in return.

No wonder Eli is losing his mind over Alyx's sudden disappeared by G-Man's hands at the end of the game. He knows his death was coming, and when his would-be murderer was instead a charred grub on the floor, it became immediately clear to him just how long G-Man has been playing his family like a fiddle.
This was fun to read. Thanks for posting.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help myself but to constantly reload saves in this game.
I go through a fight and I use 2 grenades, 24 pistol shots, and 3 shotgun shells. I think "Not bad, but I bet I can do it using half the ammo." Reload save and try again.
I played one section 6 times because I wanted to do it without getting hit. So much fun.
This is me. I can't stand using two bullets when one well-placed shot would have done the trick.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Somebody posted this over on the Half-Life subreddit. Fun and all. But this made me realize that Alyx uses prerendered videos for showing moments happening on televisions instead of having a separate area in the game with a camera where the events are being rendered and played out. I understand this is a bit of nostalgia talking, but it's a bummer seeing some pre-recorded parts in a Half-Life game.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017

Awesome. I like this.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was always going to play this at some point but the overall great impressions convinced me to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. So far in VR I've gravitated more towards the "experiences" kind of games to spend most of my time in (Audica, Beat Saber, Eleven Table Tennis, Pistol Whip etc). The games I'd played that were more narrative driven never really sold me on their VR gimmicks, I always came away thinking if I'd been playing this at my computer I wouldn't really be losing much and I'd even be more comfortable =P. But this game. This is it. Played 1.5 hours so far and was completely immersed and loving it. Thanks Valve gods!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
HLA reminded me how I felt experiencing Half Life 1 and 2 for the first time; but I was also getting serious Myst vibes as I blinked through the emptier levels, exploring an alien virtual world frame-by-frame.

I'm itching to play some more Obduction after this, but the fifteen minutes I played felt very janky and clearly not designed as a native VR experience.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Burst fire eats up ammo. Seems like a bit of a waste.

Good for closer range stuff (but useful beyond shotgun range), but only worthwhile if you have the mag extender thing first. And yeah, definitely make sure you're on target because it's a serious ammo dumper.

The ammo scarcity really adds to the the tension of the game. But part of me can't help but wonder what it would be like if ammo was way easier to come by and there were a bunch more enemies to fight. Granted I'm still around the end of chapter 5 so I don't know if it just continues to ramp up.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
HLA reminded me how I felt experiencing Half Life 1 and 2 for the first time;

It's been an hour since I finished this game, and I literally had this exact same thought, like this is it, this is the exact same feeling I had back in 2007 when EP 2 released, I wish my cousin and best friedn lived closer to share this moment with me, but oh well....

Burst fire eats up ammo. Seems like a bit of a waste.

Yup, I switched to single shot after a while since I'm much more precise and burst fire jumps all over the place.

It must have been hard for the devs to keep this masterpiece secret for so long. Damn.

I kept thinking that while reading the credits and seeing a couple companies involved, like the NDA's must've been like a soul binding contract where you'll loose everything you ever owned if you leak info about it, incredible that they managed to keep it a secret.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Huh... So I was playing last night and everything was working fine with my Quest + Link... Now I boot the game back tonight and not only is it running like crap but none of the textures are loading? It looks like I'm playing on very low or something... Or like when Unreal Engine 3 games used to load before the textures did...

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Huh... So I was playing last night and everything was working fine with my Quest + Link... Now I boot the game back tonight and not only is it running like crap but none of the textures are loading? It looks like I'm playing on very low or something... Or like when Unreal Engine 3 games used to load before the textures did...
I had severe texture issues and crashes. Increasing my page file size to 10gb fixed it for me. Maybe that will help?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Ok I'm starting to go nuts here maybe someone else with an oculus mk1 can help.

the first day was fine, It played great, so did beat saber. but now both today and yesterday my oculus is jumping around every 10-15 seconds and the tracking just goes to shit, for both the headset but also the hands. I thought it was maybe my setup so I've tried 5-6 different ones and they're all worse than the first day was, even when I gave the sensors much better angles and more room. All I even do now is go into the Oculus menu and the issue is there, so it's not game specific. It's driving me nuts because everything worked fine and now that I have this game I want to play, it doesnt. I've tried all my usb ports, I'm out of usb ports. I got nothing. I just updated to the new Beta build too and.. nope. Nothing.

outside of the jumping the best hint I have is that it 'jumps' in whatever direction my head was movnig. So if I was looking downward it would essentially leave a quick 1-3 frame trail and catch up.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

the first day was fine, It played great, so did beat saber. but now both today and yesterday my oculus is jumping around every 10-15 seconds and the tracking just goes to shit, for both the headset but also the hands. I thought it was maybe my setup so I've tried 5-6 different ones and they're all worse than the first day was, even when I gave the sensors much better angles and more room. All I even do now is go into the Oculus menu and the issue is there, so it's not game specific. It's driving me nuts because everything worked fine and now that I have this game I want to play, it doesnt. I've tried all my usb ports, I'm out of usb ports. I got nothing. I just updated to the new Beta build too and.. nope. Nothing.

outside of the jumping the best hint I have is that it 'jumps' in whatever direction my head was movnig. So if I was looking downward it would essentially leave a quick 1-3 frame trail and catch up.
Maybe try a fresh oculus installation?

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Somebody posted this over on the Half-Life subreddit. Fun and all. But this made me realize that Alyx uses prerendered videos for showing moments happening on televisions instead of having a separate area in the game with a camera where the events are being rendered and played out. I understand this is a bit of nostalgia talking, but it's a bummer seeing some pre-recorded parts in a Half-Life game.

The scenes originally ran in engine but were moved to video for performance optimization reasons.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017

Do you by any chance have a mirror or highly reflective surface in the room where your setup is? If ye, cover it and see if the problem is still there.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Not that the Steam forums are not normally a shitshow to begin with but man....The Alyx forums are kinda hilarious with all the people finding different twisted mind contortions to explain their reasoning behind complaining that the game is VR only lol

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Wow um, okay. I guess it was fucking Chrome? Got lucky and found a post mentioning it so I decided it was worth a shot. Wow. This isn't the first time chrome has fucked another program for me lol. Urgh. All that for chrome, but glad it seems to be fixed. Did a test Beat Saber to see, then turned chrome back on and yup issue returned. I even rolled back my geforce driver just in case Lol. Guess I'll put it forward again. Pumped to play now even though it's late.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it and even as someone who has never been terribly crazy about Half-Life (but always respected it), that was very fucking good.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Just beat it and even as someone who has never been terribly crazy about Half-Life (but always respected it), that was very fucking good.
Yeah they modernized it really well. Half Life 2 has bad gameplay and I had a feeling this would be a pretty dramatic change from that aside from being in VR. They did good work.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I need a collectathon game involving grabbity gloves.

Also one thing that annoys me in this game is how corpses are tied to an area. I wanna pick them up and dance.

Deleted member 64804

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 24, 2020
How are people beating this so quickly, I'm 21 hours in and still on chapter 10. I mean I've taken my time for sure, looking around and stuff. But people are saying they beat it in like 7 hours?!

Another experience I'm having is that this game is so damn intense. Like I actually feel like I'm in it to a preposterous degree - takes it out of you a little but my god is it rewarding. Perfect timing to play it while quarantining also. Feels like I'm escaping into another world completely. Some sci-fi shit.