• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
im at 9 hours at the end of chapter 5 (there are chapters more beatifull then this?!?) HO the fuck could you have finished this in 10 hours? dotn u move everything to search for items? btw in some moments i really was there. first time i feel so immersed.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
im at 9 hours at the end of chapter 5 (there are chapters more beatifull then this?!?) HO the fuck could you have finished this in 10 hours? dotn u move everything to search for items? btw in some moments i really was there. first time i feel so immersed.

I'm playing it super slow. Half because I'm taking it all in and enjoying the environments and detail but also half because I'm FUCKING TERRIFIED ALL OF THE TIME and I'm creeping along and peeking around ever corner and listening for the first hint of movement. I'm basically playing it how I would in real life and not like a videogame hero because I'm legitimately terrified. If this was a flat game I'd be sprinting through and headshotting everyone.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone get a lot of performance issues in chapter 7? I have an rtx 2080 and am playing on a quest. I know quest know need 72fps. everything is on high but I put fog and particles down to medium but am still not getting good performance here and it's distracting... I feel my card should be able to handle it.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently I'm slow as fuck. I think I'm towards the end of chapter 5 and I've been playing for 9-10 hours

Savoring it though. This hotel level is wild.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I am on chapter 6, like 7-8 hours in and it's been great but clearly a step back from Half life 2. I have been with VR from the beginning, I know it has to be slower. I know you have to introduce mechanics and let players get used to them longer. I know combat has to be slowed down. And I know that moments where you are on the floor shooting over imaginary cover and doing cool things you could never do with a normal controller is magical.

That said level and encounter design is still measured the same and while this has great level design the enemy encounters are lacking. Most of the time the game is a series of rooms with 2 or 3 enemies that don't pose much of any threat. Enemies slowly telegraph every attack, the wind up for a headcrab is like 4 seconds, you just slowly side step and that's it. Gun fights are intense but so far it's been like 3 regular guys and a heavy or two and that's it.

Now they do mix things up in the way some of these battles take place like being trapped in a room with a heavy shooting at you from above. A hotel window being shot out by enemies on a far off balcony. And some really creative headcrab sections, all that is good but the intensity is still low when compared to the rest of HL.

Also I am shocked at how the puzzles have forgone the physics and instead are all weird hologram puzzles that don't really fit into the world. HL2 was a physics showcase and you had to manipulate objects to create weights, pullies, all sorts of natural solutions to environmental puzzles. Here you can pick up and move almost any object and it's all for nothing, very little in the way of any environmental puzzles, you can't use things as makeshift weapons, it's all stuff to rummage through for ammo or resin.

I know the final parts of this game are supposed to be insane and everything I am asking for but why is it only for the very end, why can't the whole game be like that? It's still great but there is a whole segment of people that criticize VR games because the games don't match up to a "regular" game. It can't be as fast, the action can't be as good, corners are cut. Alyx could have been the game to refute all that but it kind of reinforces that. So yes I enjoy it a lot but so far it's no HL2, I don't even think it's that close.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I am on chapter 6, like 7-8 hours in and it's been great but clearly a step back from Half life 2. I have been with VR from the beginning, I know it has to be slower. I know you have to introduce mechanics and let players get used to them longer. I know combat has to be slowed down. And I know that moments where you are on the floor shooting over imaginary cover and doing cool things you could never do with a normal controller is magical.
A lot of this works to the benefit of playing as Alyx, she's not Gordon Freeman in a HEV suit, she's a regular person and fighting just a couple of dudes is a much bigger deal than it would be for someone who has a suit that negates all trauma and allows him to spring forward like Usain Bolt.

Personally I've long wanted a game where it was quality over quantity and bypasses the cognitive dissonance that slaughtering thousands of NPC introduces into a narrative in a way that wouldn't feel boring, and I think Alyx succeeds on that front.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing it super slow. Half because I'm taking it all in and enjoying the environments and detail but also half because I'm FUCKING TERRIFIED ALL OF THE TIME and I'm creeping along and peeking around ever corner and listening for the first hint of movement. I'm basically playing it how I would in real life and not like a videogame hero because I'm legitimately terrified. If this was a flat game I'd be sprinting through and headshotting everyone.
I'm with you man!

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
The spectacle across the final three levels of the game is...quite something :)
Thanks and all other chapter last the same time as chapter 5? Cause I have to sell my vr at the end of next week to wait for some next gen gear and I want to finish it and 5hen wait to replay after I'll buy the next vr headset i hope in the first half of next year

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
We're playing a brand new Half-Life game from Valve, you guys. Like... just let that sink in. It's still wild to me. They did it.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 5 was my favorite. I'll post more thorough impressions later. Overall, I really loved it. My favorite VR game along side Astro Bot.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm going super slow as well, but that's because I've played previous half life and portal games and thus I know that there is a TON of environmental story telling going on. Like, at one point, you get to see those infamous "EARTH SURRENDERS" newspapers laying around, but this time, you can actually pick them up and read them. There is interesting lore everywhere if you stop and read everything around you.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks and all other chapter last the same time as chapter 5? Cause I have to sell my vr at the end of next week to wait for some next gen gear and I want to finish it and 5hen wait to replay after I'll buy the next vr headset i hope in the first half of next year

More or less, yeah. I think my final time was around 16 hours. I actually wish there were more chapter breaks for easier replay; the second half of Chp 3 is completely different from the sewer sequence, for example.

Deleted member 64804

Banned
Mar 24, 2020

That said level and encounter design is still measured the same and while this has great level design the enemy encounters are lacking. Most of the time the game is a series of rooms with 2 or 3 enemies that don't pose much of any threat. Enemies slowly telegraph every attack, the wind up for a headcrab is like 4 seconds, you just slowly side step and that's it. Gun fights are intense but so far it's been like 3 regular guys and a heavy or two and that's it.

Now they do mix things up in the way some of these battles take place like being trapped in a room with a heavy shooting at you from above. A hotel window being shot out by enemies on a far off balcony. And some really creative headcrab sections, all that is good but the intensity is still low when compared to the rest of HL.

Also I am shocked at how the puzzles have forgone the physics and instead are all weird hologram puzzles that don't really fit into the world. HL2 was a physics showcase and you had to manipulate objects to create weights, pullies, all sorts of natural solutions to environmental puzzles. Here you can pick up and move almost any object and it's all for nothing, very little in the way of any environmental puzzles, you can't use things as makeshift weapons, it's all stuff to rummage through for ammo or resin.

I know the final parts of this game are supposed to be insane and everything I am asking for but why is it only for the very end, why can't the whole game be like that? It's still great but there is a whole segment of people that criticize VR games because the games don't match up to a "regular" game. It can't be as fast, the action can't be as good, corners are cut. Alyx could have been the game to refute all that but it kind of reinforces that. So yes I enjoy it a lot but so far it's no HL2, I don't even think it's that close.

Having played quite a bit of VR and having just played half life 2 for the first time. I have to say I find this experience wildly superior.

Boneworks has a lot of those physics puzzles you mentioned though maybe you'd be into that?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

I don't agree with all those comments, because I think due to the nature of being able to keep your head on a swivel different from your weapon aiming, being able to shoot around corners, VR can be more intense than flat games by far. I don't think anyone has that perception you speak of that somehow VR scales things down.

On the other hand, I do wish Alyx had a bit more intense mode, where headcrabs just launched at you fast and the combine hit harder and attacked more intensely, etc. There are a lot of VR games that provide more of a challenge in that way. H3VR's take and hold mode has this really brilliant & aggressive AI that's probably the best I've ever seen in any game.

Half Life Alyx was definitely made with the consideration of how many newbies might be playing it.

I had fun with it, but not in that intense combat way that something like Space Pirate Trainer provides.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
What is probably suppose to be a really cool moment in the game has become the most frustrating to me and I think it's because of tracking.

I'm at chapter 10 and fighting a Strider at a stationed gun. When I try to move it around sometimes it doesn't move or flat out doesn't fire. I've waited for that blue orb to pop up about 20 times now and something always goes wrong. I just keep dying over and over and over.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going super slow as well, but that's because I've played previous half life and portal games and thus I know that there is a TON of environmental story telling going on. Like, at one point, you get to see those infamous "EARTH SURRENDERS" newspapers laying around, but this time, you can actually pick them up and read them. There is interesting lore everywhere if you stop and read everything around you.
From The Earth Times, the daily paper that brings you all the Earthly news there is to know!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going super slow as well, but that's because I've played previous half life and portal games and thus I know that there is a TON of environmental story telling going on.

Is there anyone playing Alyx at this point that hasn't played the previous Half-Life and Portal games? lol

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
What is probably suppose to be a really cool moment in the game has become the most frustrating to me and I think it's because of tracking.

I'm at chapter 10 and fighting a Strider at a stationed gun. When I try to move it around sometimes it doesn't move or flat out doesn't fire. I've waited for that blue orb to pop up about 20 times now and something always goes wrong. I just keep dying over and over and over.
You're not supposed to wait for any type of blue orb, you're supposed to cock the left arm with each shot and it'll shoot...

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anyone playing Alyx at this point that hasn't played the previous Half-Life and Portal games? lol

One of the very first HL:A reviews to hit was from CNET from a reporter who admitted to never having played any half life games prior. On this particular forum? Yeah, I'm willing to bet there is a chunk playing HL:A who have never played a HL game prior.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From The Earth Times, the daily paper that brings you all the Earthly news there is to know!

It's actually a different paper in HL:A, only the headline is the same. What is interesting is the article on the back that talks about Breen as the new administrator; they call him unfamous and an unknown scientist.

Really creepy in today's environment is an article right next the one on Breen about how experts are advising people to stay locked indoors during the "quarantine."

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
One of the very first HL:A reviews to hit was from CNET from a reporter who admitted to never having played any half life games prior. On this particular forum? Yeah, I'm willing to bet there is a chunk playing HL:A who have never played a HL game prior.
I think to those people they should really catch up before playing HL:A, because they will have no idea about a lot of stuff that goes on in the story.

Honestly I think at the very least, they should play HL2 + Episodes, and get a refresher on what happened in HL1. HL1 is a fantastic game, however there are some frustrations about it that I discovered after my last replay of it, such as the fall damage being so punishing. There were many times I fell a short distance and took a ton of fall damage and was like "Really? That's a fall damage height?!", in addition to the Xen sections being a pretty sour note for the game to end on. On my last playthrough of it, I had barely any health by the time I got to Nihilanth and ended up just cheating to beat it.

HL1 also doesn't name any characters other than Gordon, and then the G-man obviously makes himself distinct. Names were retconned into characters in HL1. That's part of the reason I think if you absolutely want to rush into HL: Alyx as soon as possible, just start with HL2 and the Episodes.

I really think you should play HL1 though. At the very least, play Black Mesa.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Having played quite a bit of VR and having just played half life 2 for the first time. I have to say I find this experience wildly superior.

Boneworks has a lot of those physics puzzles you mentioned though maybe you'd be into that?

Experience, yeah VR adds things a normal game can never achieve but design of the game room by room encounter by encounter I don't know how anyone can say the first 7 hours (all I've played so far) matches what you do in the first 7 hours of HL2. The variety in situations in HL2. The constant stream of new enemies, new weapons, new gear, new locations, new scenarios.

Compare that to Alyx is pretty much small room to small room to small room. Room of 3 headcrabs. Room with a few zombies. Room with some explosive stuff. Room with more headcrabs. Room with another few zombies.

Ravenholm in HL2 alone has more creativity than most of these first 6 hours which have been practically all zombies and headcrabs, which is what ravenholm was. But ravenholm is a physics wonderland, using the gravity gun to engage enemies in so many ways. Tons of traps to activate, Wild enemies coming from all sides. Standing on a rooftop as those super zombies come from everywhere to attack you. Getting trapped in rooms with 10 zombies and razors all over that could be used to take them out. And it did all this in the span of a glorious hour or so of pure game design genius. Nothing in Alyx is that well designed so far.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the game, WOW!!!!!

This may very well be the greatest game I have ever played. Only HL2 itself can stand toe to toe with this masterpiece. That fuckin ending thoough!

Whew, what a wild ride. Incredible game.

Game of the Generation easily.

Last edited:

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Anybody have any issues with the smg not loading properly? It was fine in Chapter 7 (yep...f* Jeff...level was great) but when I load into 8 it bugs out and a majority of the mesh is missing as well as won't play any animations.
Can you DM me a copy of your broken save game if you can find it?
To fix this, try swapping your gun hand to back and forth in settings (swap it from eight to left, go in game, and then swap it back), see if this clears it. If not, your best bet is to start a new game from the last chapter you started.

It's actually a different paper in HL:A, only the headline is the same. What is interesting is the article on the back that talks about Breen as the new administrator; they call him unfamous and an unknown scientist.

Really creepy in today's environment is an article right next the one on Breen about how experts are advising people to stay locked indoors during the "quarantine."
I believe it's the same newspaper, "The Times." For the secondary articles in the Alyx version, we looked to how the 1989 San Francisco earthquake was covered for inspiration about what people would be told to do and how newspapers would cover it.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Does Dunkey's video contain major spoilers? I want to watch it, but no VR headset means potentially months or more of avoiding spoilers ...

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it is the same paper "The Times."

I don't mean the publication, the actual paper isn't the same issue shown here:

C3523CZ.jpg

the bit after the bifold has different content in HL:A (plus you can read the half that is covered up in HL2). I think the picture accompanying the "EARTH SURRENDERS" part is different too, but I can't remember. The only bit that is the same is the headline, which makes picking up the paper and reading the bits you don't see worth it. When I ran into the news paper in the world, they were folded in half so the only thing that was visible was the "EARTH SURRENDERS" headline, I actually picked it up specifically to see if I could read the bit that had been covered up by the Breen pinned article in HL2 and was amazed when the entire paper was different. It made the decision to go pick it up and examine it feel worth it.

Oct 25, 2017

You are not alone.

I am on a Rift S and it was really hard to operate both the left handle that loads and fires the gun and the right handle that aims the gun at the same time.
The left handle would constantly slip out of my hand and for some reason I would have to redo the firing sequence all over again each time I let go of it.
I basically had to stop trying to aim and just focus on operating the gun and getting as many blind shots as I could and hope I am able to land a shot on the blue orb when it appears.

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
Can you DM me a copy of your broken save game if you can find it?
To fix this, try swapping your gun hand to back and forth in settings (swap it from eight to left, go in game, and then swap it back), see if this clears it. If not, your best bet is to start a new game from the last chapter you started.

I believe it's the same newspaper, "The Times." For the secondary articles in the Alyx version, we looked to how the 1989 San Francisco earthquake was covered for inspiration about what people would be told to do and how newspapers would cover it.
Hi Jake. I miss idle hands! Cool to see you replying to this thread and congrats on Alyx, it's fucking great 😊

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I reckon the builders need to find better glass in their builds in future. I lobbed an empty cigarette packet at a window earlier and it smashed through the glass it as if I'd thrown a brick! They must have a lot of accidents...

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I reckon the builders need to find better glass in their builds in future. I lobbed an empty cigarette packet at a window earlier and it smashed through the glass it as if I'd thrown a brick! They must have a lot of accidents...

They should probably use the stuff they make the porta potties out of. They're bullet proof, haha. You can hide in one during a shoot out and are basically invincible.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
You're not supposed to wait for any type of blue orb, you're supposed to cock the left arm with each shot and it'll shoot...

I know. I was shooting at it the whole time, but it was difficult.

You are not alone.

I am on a Rift S and it was really hard to operate both the left handle that loads and fires the gun and the right handle that aims the gun at the same time.
The left handle would constantly slip out of my hand and for some reason I would have to redo the firing sequence all over again each time I let go of it.
I basically had to stop trying to aim and just focus on operating the gun and getting as many blind shots as I could and hope I am able to land a shot on the blue orb when it appears.

Exactly what I was experiencing.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I just finished the game and holy shit.

They have 2 paths to take. Either a HL game with Gordon or a follow up to this one with Alyx. If they do go that route, I'd imagine the Alyx series would stay in VR.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they go all out with HL3. Would be cool to see Adrian Shephard return. Maybe have Gman release him from stasis somewhere in the US, gather some ex HECU resistance members, overthrow the Combine in North Ameridca, and link up with Gordon and the team somewhere.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's enough for one night. Thought I was past the scariest stuff but nope. Just met Jeff. When the lights went out... nope, nope, nope

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
After beating it last night I can't imagine playing this game without continuous movement. That is the way to play and I'm glad I don't suffer from motion sickness.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Does Dunkey's video contain major spoilers? I want to watch it, but no VR headset means potentially months or more of avoiding spoilers ...
There's one minor spoiler, but other than that there's some gameplay stuff from about halfway in. You should be good otherwise. The spoiler is still something that happens within the first half of the game though.

When you rescue Eli.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
After beating it last night I can't imagine playing this game without continuous movement. That is the way to play and I'm glad I don't suffer from motion sickness.

I played with the shift movement the majority of time and I gotta say, it didn't matter. Game was great even that way. I tried continuous a few times and it was starting to make my head spin. It's odd I can play Pavlov fine, but every other game so far has made me dizzy.

Valve did a good job balancing the game to work with all movement options.

Meech

Oct 29, 2017
Half-Life: Alyx has ruined gaming for me. All I want to do is play it.... My Doom: Eternal is collecting digital dust.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Experience, yeah VR adds things a normal game can never achieve but design of the game room by room encounter by encounter I don't know how anyone can say the first 7 hours (all I've played so far) matches what you do in the first 7 hours of HL2. The variety in situations in HL2. The constant stream of new enemies, new weapons, new gear, new locations, new scenarios.

Compare that to Alyx is pretty much small room to small room to small room. Room of 3 headcrabs. Room with a few zombies. Room with some explosive stuff. Room with more headcrabs. Room with another few zombies.

Ravenholm in HL2 alone has more creativity than most of these first 6 hours which have been practically all zombies and headcrabs, which is what ravenholm was. But ravenholm is a physics wonderland, using the gravity gun to engage enemies in so many ways. Tons of traps to activate, Wild enemies coming from all sides. Standing on a rooftop as those super zombies come from everywhere to attack you. Getting trapped in rooms with 10 zombies and razors all over that could be used to take them out. And it did all this in the span of a glorious hour or so of pure game design genius. Nothing in Alyx is that well designed so far.
I actually agree with you. I was surprised at the lack of physics based puzzles. HL2 has the variety in both gameplay and environments. I really liked the focus of the singular journey in Alyx, but there were sections where I was walking through concrete hallways with random pipes and half empty shelves. I thought chapter 5 was masterful and as good as anything in the HL series though.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I just finished the game and holy shit.

They have 2 paths to take. Either a HL game with Gordon or a follow up to this one with Alyx. If they do go that route, I'd imagine the Alyx series would stay in VR.

There's absolutely no way
after you, as Gordon, are literally handed a crowbar in VR, that HL3 won't be a VR game itself.

Period. People are going to whine online a whole lot about a "real" Half-Life sequel being VR only, but Valve has already proven that a AAA VR experience is viable. The inevitable PS5VR Alyx port will sell gangbusters, further paving the way for a successful multiplatform VR follow-up no earlier than 2022-3.

A new 2D Half-Life would feel as uninventive and also-ran as a "flat" port of Alyx would be. This is the future of the franchise.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Listened to a bit of the latest Bombcast and Jeff nitpicks the game hard for a whole lot of menial reasons. I get that it's his shtick these days. But give the game some credit dude. Feels like being contrarian for the sake of it.

I love Gerstmann but I don't come to him for opinions on modern games. Outside of playing Call of Duty with a controller, he is content to emulate 30 year old computer games until the heat death of the universe.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
The speed has nothing to do with VR. Again you got games like Serious Sam First and Second Encounter:

Or Compound:

The speed of this game comes from the tone they are trying to set. This feels like they are trying to go for a more survival horror feel, with slow traversal and ammo and health scarcity. This really comes into play in the hard difficulty.
It wouldn't make sense for Alyx to be a one person army like Gordan is (HE WENT TO MIT!). I'm putting money on HL3 being faster paced with less of a ammo problem, and more of a focus on shooter while still maintaining the exploration of Alyx.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
There's absolutely no way
after you, as Gordon, are literally handed a crowbar in VR, that HL3 won't be a VR game itself.

Period. People are going to whine online a whole lot about a "real" Half-Life sequel being VR only, but Valve has already proven that a AAA VR experience is viable. The inevitable PS5VR Alyx port will sell gangbusters, further paving the way for a successful multiplatform VR follow-up no earlier than 2022-3.

A new 2D Half-Life would feel as uninventive and also-ran as a "flat" port of Alyx would be. This is the future of the franchise.

I really hope you're right. The biggest thing missing from this game was melee combat. I would love a HL vr game where I can smack the hell out of enemies with a crowbar. I hope it does go to PS5VR. Would be nice if that was a reveal game once Sony announces the next headset, which shouldn't be too far off.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finished HL: Alyx, probably going to just start a whole new play through. Want to find other VR games to play, but nothing even comes close to comparing to it, sadly. I still haven't played Lone Echo, but I'm going to wait for a sale, as it doesn't seem to be a very long experience for $40.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished HL: Alyx, probably going to just start a whole new play through. Want to find other VR games to play, but nothing even comes close to comparing to it, sadly. I still haven't played Lone Echo, but I'm going to wait for a sale, as it doesn't seem to be a very long experience for $40.

Lone echo is short, and doesn't have the polish to match Alyx (but what does?), but it does have an incredible locomotion system, very easily one of my favorites in all of VR. The big 3 when it comes to "experimental" locomotion to me are Lone Echo, Budget Cuts, and Serious Sam. They all do radically different things, but they all do them extremely well. Lone Echo is worth playing through alone just for the locomotion system, it's one of the best in all of VR. It'll make you feel like you're weightless in space. I'm very much excited about Lone Echo 2, for the immediate future that and Panzer Dragoon VR are probably my most anticipated VR titles.

This trailer for Lone Echo always moves me, because it sums up what's great about VR:

I agree with all the above saying how it's so much harder to get honestly excited about conventional games as more and more incredible VR experiences emerge. VR is, hands down, the most exciting thing to happen to entertainment IMO in pretty much my entire lifetime.