Half-Life Alyx |OT| The right woman in the right place

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm curious when we will hear more about the Geoff Keighley Final Hours of Half-Life Alyx.

It's definitely worth saving for, especially since it lets you effectively carry another grenade. BTW Xen Grenades work with it too.
Yeah planning on waiting and not spending the 39 until the next station.

Btw... Are the Xen grenades the balls that you see held in some kind of alien arm in some rooms? I've seen those a few times but I can't seem to be able to do anything with them... The hand just closes on the ball anytime I try to do anything.

HylianSeven

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah planning on waiting and not spending the 39 until the next station.

Btw... Are the Xen grenades the balls that you see held in some kind of alien arm in some rooms? I've seen those a few times but I can't seem to be able to do anything with them... The hand just closes on the ball anytime I try to do anything.
Yep, there's two ways to get them.

be fast enough or stroke it's "belly" with one hand until it relaxes it's grip and grab it with your other hand.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, this f'in
tripmine room
in chapter 6 is pissing me off. Not a fan of making instadeath minigames necessary for progression.

Griff

Aug 12, 2018
West Hollywood
The Northern Star hotel is the spider level to end all spider levels and it's the first time VR has really made me completely lose my sense of place in panic and fear. A nightstalker headcrab jumped at me as i was crossing one of the planks, with no ammo at all and only 1 heart of health. I was so focused on crossing quickly that I forgot for a moment it was all VR, panicked when I saw the headcrab jump, pulled my hands up in fear and looked down and IMMEDIATELY LOST MY BALANCE IN REAL LIFE. As I was trying to not fall flat on my face I opened my eyes and realized the headcrab was right fucking there reared up and I was just staring into its snapping maw.

I had to take a break after I finished the segment. That was incredible. Up there with Ravenholm for me.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
My level 5 experience: I picked up a painting from the wall and used it to block headcrabs, and barnacles didn’t pick it up - so I lifted the painting over my head as if I am shielding myself from the rain. I made it to the other side of the hotel, shut the door, only to find a that the staircase was fucked too. So so so good.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else try physically
crawling in the vent in Chapter 10
? The game doesn't seem to let you teleport or free move in. But if you have the space, and
crawl in, you'll find a headcrab waiting + a resin.

That was such a fun surprise.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
The Northern Star hotel is the spider level to end all spider levels and it's the first time VR has really made me completely lose my sense of place in panic and fear. A nightstalker headcrab jumped at me as i was crossing one of the planks, with no ammo at all and only 1 heart of health. I was so focused on crossing quickly that I forgot for a moment it was all VR, panicked when I saw the headcrab jump, pulled my hands up in fear and looked down and IMMEDIATELY LOST MY BALANCE IN REAL LIFE. As I was trying to not fall flat on my face I opened my eyes and realized the headcrab was right fucking there reared up and I was just staring into its snapping maw.

I had to take a break after I finished the segment. That was incredible. Up there with Ravenholm for me.
Just played this level. HOLY. FUCK. I love scary games and VR and everything but I teleported across that plank you're talking about
toward the toilet
and yelled SO loud and just sprayed my pistol everywhere. That whole scene with the bottom level and having to go down there and having no ammo but then getting a ton of ammo but then the lights... and the elevator shaft...

One of the most intense, scary, and exhilarating gaming experiences I've ever had. Wonder if RE3 this weekend will even raise my pulse after that.

May 25, 2018
Did anyone else try physically
crawling in the vent in Chapter 10
? The game doesn't seem to let you teleport or free move in. But if you have the space, and
crawl in, you'll find a headcrab waiting + a resin.

That was such a fun surprise.
It definitely seemed like you could go in. Since I couldn't teleport in and didn't have enough room to crawl in I shrugged it off. That's another thing I'll need to try next time.

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
I see this comment quite a bit and I'm curious what VR games out there actually throw 15-20 enemies at a time at you. I haven't played every single VR game to date, but I've played my fair share and I've never encountered a ton of enemies before. I figured that's because they have to account for you actually aiming, emptying a clip, reloading and putting one in the chamber. I guess games could incorporate more enemies, but it would be more of a shooting gallery than anything I'd imagine.

What games would you suggest?
As a heads up, there is a mod on PC to play Half Life 1 in VR. Obviously nowhere near as polished as Alyx, but playing some "Classic" FPS action in VR actually feels really great.

Is there some way I can see my real world environment through the headset so I don't have to take it of to see if I'm still in the centre of my play area?
If you double tap the home button it should show a matrix-like passthrough. If you go into VR settings/Camera, you can enable Opaque passthrough which will essentially give you full view video feed.

Griff

Aug 12, 2018
West Hollywood
Just played this level. HOLY. FUCK. I love scary games and VR and everything but I teleported across that plank you're talking about
toward the toilet
and yelled SO loud and just sprayed my pistol everywhere. That whole scene with the bottom level and having to go down there and having no ammo but then getting a ton of ammo but then the lights... and the elevator shaft...

One of the most intense, scary, and exhilarating gaming experiences I've ever had. Wonder if RE3 this weekend will even raise my pulse after that.
I also reacted the same way to the toilet spider. It was... a lot.

Bunga

Oct 29, 2017
Just got an Oculus Quest and HLA to use in the quarantine. Never played anything on VR before. Just got to the quarantine door in the game annnndd this is one of, if not the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had. Literally the very first area where you start my jaw hit the floor over and over and over again at (a) the graphics/immersion and (b) the level of interactivity. It feels exactly like HL2 did playing with the physics and being blown away.

I can't believe that I can pick up a book on the floor, turn it and use my other hand to turn the rest of the way then put the book down wherever I want or throw it off a balcony lol. Wtfff