• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
If Valve did start making a new HL, I wonder if they'd be so secretive about it this time. I understand the various reasons they might want to, but it'd probably be sweet for recruitment purposes if you could just say "We're making a Half-Life."

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
If Valve did start making a new HL, I wonder if they'd be so secretive about it this time. I understand the various reasons they might want to, but it'd probably be sweet for recruitment purposes if you could just say "We're making a Half-Life."
I imagine they won't say it until it's close to release just like with Alyx. Part of the reason they did that with Alyx is because of Valve Time. Alyx didn't get delayed at all from it's announcement to release. They said March 2020 at the start, but didn't give an exact date in March, we still got March 2020. This was because they said that Valve Time already happened before they announced it. I was a bit concerned when they pulled it from The Game Awards, but that ended up being an unfounded concern fortunately.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Weird question but:

The only way that I can get the game to display full screen on my TV for my girlfriend to view the Spectator view is to use the below launch command:

-fullscreen -w 3840 -h 2160

Designating a lower resolution just forces a window at that resolution.

When I do this the game warns me that I'm using too many GPU resourses and the game may have performance problems, though.

Is that setting actually telling spectator view to run at native 4k? I would have thought it would just be pulling the headset's resolution regardless of the window/full screen resolution size...

Last edited:

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Pro tip: you can bind a crouch toggle to the left analogue stick from accessibility settings. If you are playing standing up, this saves you having to physically duck down to get under low ceilings etc.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Weird question but:

The only way that I can get the game to display full screen on my TV for my girlfriend to view the Spectator view isnto use the below launch command:

-fullscreen -w 3840 -h 2160

Designating a lower resolution just forces a window at that resolution.

When I do this the game warns me that I'm using too many GPU resourses and the game may have performance problems, though.

Is that setting actually telling spectator view to run at native 4k? I would have thought it would just be pulling the headset's resolution regardless of the window/full screen resolution size...
I found the best way was to just set my desktop to 1080p. The spectator screen was then full without the huge GPU hit of trying to force it to 4k.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Gotta admit I turned the game to easy and I'm having a lot more fun.

I like the combat but was not enjoying the ammo scarcity combined with the bullet sponge enemies. It was getting annoying going over every room 3 times and moving every box, and feeling like I should reload my save if I missed a couple of shots.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Pro tip: you can bind a crouch toggle to the left analogue stick from accessibility settings. If you are playing standing up, this saves you having to physically duck down to get under low ceilings etc.
TBH I thought physically getting down, especially during one section in particular, was a lot of fun.

Hiding from Jeff by feeling like you're crawling in small crawlspaces, or hiding between boxes was a feeling I have never quite had in any video game.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Chapter 7:

I felt Jeff was dumb and it was still too easy on Hard. He literally cant hear you when you walk around and he just goes somewhere, stands there for 7 seconds, then goes somewhere else. At the beginning I thought "OH Shit! Its Amnesia" but after like 5 minutes you notice how dumb he actually is.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Chapter 7:

I felt Jeff was dumb and it was still too easy on Hard. He literally cant hear you when you walk around and he just goes somewhere, stands there for 7 seconds, then goes somewhere else. At the beginning I thought "OH Shit! Its Amnesia" but after like 5 minutes you notice how dumb he actually is.
If he were constantly chasing you it'd be impossible. I don't really want to be hiding in lockers either personally.

I think it worked well with how they placed bottles on top of important materials so whenever you were making any progress you'd almost definitely trigger him. I enjoyed it.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 7:

its fine, its easy to have made that section frustrating. instead, its memorable and you get a few laughs out of it . the fact he's even named something as bland as that suggests that it was all tongue in cheek.

i beat the game and
am a little disappointed that we don't get to "build" Dog. would have loved to have a vr companion throughout

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
its fine, its easy to have made that section frustrating. instead, its memorable and you get a few laughs out of it . the fact he's even named something as bland as that suggests that it was all tongue in cheek.

i beat the game and
am a little disappointed that we don't get to "build" Dog. would have loved to have a vr companion throughout
I did like at the start they at least referenced Dog when she first built him though. There's the polaroid picture of him on the shelf in Alyx's apartment, as well as the design document she has for Dog.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I'm at 21 hours in chapter 10. I've been taking my time but I have no idea how anyone is beating it in under 10 hrs. Maybe I'm just super slow.

I clocked in around 9 hours total. I was also taking my time, but I started to realize there was no reason to explore for ammo, and I didn't need any resin, when I had plenty of it. Game sped up considerably towards the end because of that.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
I tried moving with the stick and I felt incredibly bad.
Do I need to continue with this scheme to get accustomed or it's a matter of using vr more and I can play teleport in the meantime?

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are the people beating the game so quickly using teleport and those taking more time using Continuous movement? The walking speed is pretty slow.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to continue with this scheme to get accustomed or it's a matter of using vr more and I can play teleport in the meantime?

You can just stick to teleport 100% like me. No VR movement option is "correct" or "superior", it's whatever makes you most comfortable.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

If you feel bad/quesy FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop and take your headset off. You can't push through the sickness to earn your VR legs, you'll just ruin yourself. Use the method that feels the most comfortable to you. Game is great with the teleportation - it's the default way to play.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

Play whatever makes you feel better. There is no right way to play, free movement using the stick is something that takes time.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
I wondered because I would prefer moving continuously, teleport is fine for me but I can't say I really like moving like that.
So I don't know if I have to try just a few minutes continous locomotion here and there or I'll get it even without using it?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I'm at 21 hours in chapter 10. I've been taking my time but I have no idea how anyone is beating it in under 10 hrs. Maybe I'm just super slow.
Were you having troubles hacking or solving puzzles, or dying a lot at encounters? Cause I really took it slow, literally exploring every corner in each chapter and for the life of me I don't know how people are clocking in 20h.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Few spoiler notes after finishing the game
FUCK JEFF. Holy shit, this was such a tense section of the game. I saw other people saying "Fuck Jeff" but I figured he was just some asshole NPC that fucked Alyx over at some point. The part where you get on the elevator with Jeff... FUCK THAT. I audibly gasped very loudly so many times during that part.

That first Gordon Freeman name drop. I am pretty sure I screamed "OH SHIIIIIIIT" when that happened

Getting super charged and murdering the combine with vortigant lasers was really fuckin cool. As soon as I approached that thing I knew Gman was about to bait and switch my dumb ass. It is always fun to get more Gman content and I was very pleased with how they did it. He's even more creepy now than ever.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I took it slow, looting every nook and cranny and still managed to clock in 10 hours at Chapter 10.

I am a long time Half-Life player and very comfortable in the VR space, so, maybe that plays into it.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've noticed that sometimes the laser sight on my shotgun doesn't show up even on nearby walls? I see the emanating lines but not the circle. It might be after a while playing because I saw it when I first got it or when I begin playing. That makesthe upgrade useless for me. :(

Maybe I upped the graphics too much and it can't handleit after awhile.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
If you feel bad/quesy FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop and take your headset off. You can't push through the sickness to earn your VR legs, you'll just ruin yourself. Use the method that feels the most comfortable to you. Game is great with the teleportation - it's the default way to play.

That's s a thing I have noticed. If you start to feel sick stop and then continue later, instead of trying to push it through.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
One things for sure this is the best graphically looking thing I've ever seen. Some of the interiors are lifelike I walk up to old boxes and I'm confused about how it isn't a box that's right in front of my real eyes.

Deleted member 64804

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 24, 2020
Were you having troubles hacking or solving puzzles, or dying a lot at encounters? Cause I really took it slow, literally exploring every corner in each chapter and for the life of me I don't know how people are clocking in 20h.

i didn't have troubles hacking, sometimes they can take me a couple tries but I get them done fairly quickly. I have died in probably the majority of the encounters once, maybe twice at points. Using shift as well. Definitely exploring everything.

Deleted member 64804

Banned
Mar 24, 2020
One things for sure this is the best graphically looking thing I've ever seen. Some of the interiors are lifelike I walk up to old boxes and I'm confused about how it isn't a box that's right in front of my real eyes.

Yeah this is certainly the best looking video game I've ever seen. Whatever tricks have been used work. It looks legitimately real at points.

Deleted member 64804

Banned
Mar 24, 2020
I took it slow, looting every nook and cranny and still managed to clock in 10 hours at Chapter 10.

I am a long time Half-Life player and very comfortable in the VR space, so, maybe that plays into it.

Could be the very comfortable in the VR space part. I've played most VR games but this has felt hyper real so I kinda move around like I'm literally there if that makes sense. For reference I recently played half life episode 2 and beat it in 7 hours so maybe I just take longer at this stuff.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
It takes about 3-4 days to get accustomed to continuous moving in VR games, but you have to stop as soon as you start getting sick, and continue once you're rested again, after a couple of days you stop getting sick completely and then say hello to playing VR games for hours, at least that's how it worked for me the first time I got my Vive.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
Play with teleport! You can use HLA to ease you into continuous movement over time if you want: If you're playing with teleport but start feeling like you want more movement, turn on barnacles pulling you up and ladder climb. Then turn on shift teleport to introduce movement between teleport jumps. Then move to continuous head or hand movement. Even in continuous, you can always teleport too (by pulling back on the right stick you can send out the teleport movement point at time), so you can choose how much you want to engage.

daase ko

Oct 26, 2017
Play with teleport! You can use HLA to ease you into continuous movement over time if you want: If you're playing with teleport but start feeling like you want more movement, turn on barnacles pulling you up and ladder climb. Then turn on shift teleport to introduce movement between teleport jumps. Then move to continuous head or hand movement. Even in continuous, you can always teleport too (by pulling back on the right stick you can send out the teleport movement point at time), so you can choose how much you want to engage.

Actually I have all of this and I'm fine, using shifting (not teleport my bad) even the ladder climb, it was just continuous movement that was like "no, boy, can't get there", so I guess it should come quickly.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Just realized
the lines Eli says: "I couldn't tell you, i'm so sorry" and "close your eyes honey" don't actually appear in the game. (I know the latter is from EL2 originally though.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
So I'm Chapter 6 in the yard outside which Valve showed in their third gameplay video. However the fight feels weird because there's no music playing at all. This is a bug and there's supposed to be music right?

edit: never mind. I looked up a let's play and there's no music there either. Weird design choice.

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I have all of this and I'm fine, using shifting (not teleport my bad) even the ladder climb, it was just continuous movement that was like "no, boy, can't get there", so I guess it should come quickly.

It might, it might not. Not everyone is able to handle stick movement in VR. I'm not completely sure if it can be trained or not.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I can see how you could beat the game in 9 hours. The first 4 chapters or so I spent a ton of time looking behind absolutely everything and picking up every box/bucket/crate to look for stuff. Game started moving a lot quicker once I stopped doing that as much. I'm at 12 hours so far on chapter 9, but a lot of that came from exploration.

Crooked Rain

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only on Chapter 5 right now, but this game is so fucking good. No regrets with buying a Valve Index after this game was announced.

Last edited:

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to a bit of the latest Bombcast and Jeff nitpicks the game hard for a whole lot of menial reasons. I get that it's his shtick these days. But give the game some credit dude. Feels like being contrarian for the sake of it.
I can understand some of it, a lot of what is being done here has been done elsewhere for sure, but I feel like he isn't giving the graphic fidelity of this game enough credit. It blows EVERYTHING else I've played out of the water 10 times over.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm in chapter 4.
I'm finished turning the power back on to the elevator and now I am looking into a room that looks very uninviting...my body is not ready
I just don't know how it could get any better. It's already beyond a 10 because it's so evolutionary. Things can't get better than this, I refuse to believe it. I'm literally shocked at how good this experience has been.

My only concern is that no game will come close to this in the near future. I'll just enjoy this for what it is and return to it when I need that next level itch.

Last edited: