• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently building up the courage to play chapter 3. Not sure if I'll be able to do the flashlight section, we'll see.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Alright, I don't think I can play much more of this game. I saw the
poison headcrabs
and I'm pretty sure I nearly fainted, lol. I can handle just about any kind of insect in real life but stuff in this game is giving me an incredibly hard time. I'm super bummed about it because I've adored the sense of atmosphere and literally everything else about the game but I've gotten close to hurting myself during the sewers section.

We'll see how I feel in a few days, but I'm pretty let down by the fact that my irrational fear of this game has caused me physical pain. Otherwise, fantastic game! I'm excited to see what people do when/if Valve opens up modding/gives out the engine to folks.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Alright, I don't think I can play much more of this game. I saw the
poison headcrabs
and I'm pretty sure I nearly fainted, lol. I can handle just about any kind of insect in real life but stuff in this game is giving me an incredibly hard time. I'm super bummed about it because I've adored the sense of atmosphere and literally everything else about the game but I've gotten close to hurting myself during the sewers section.

We'll see how I feel in a few days, but I'm pretty let down by the fact that my irrational fear of this game has caused me physical pain. Otherwise, fantastic game! I'm excited to see what people do when/if Valve opens up modding/gives out the engine to folks.
They hold their effectiveness throughout.

Playing last night, I saw one moving off in the shadows, and got cocky. I lined it up to where it would jump toward me, right into a barnacle, but I didn't factor in the momentum of it's jump. The barnacle caught it, but it came swinging directly toward my face, undulating and shaking like crazy. I was so startled that I slammed my hand into the wall. 10/10 would do again.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They hold their effectiveness throughout.

Playing last night, I saw one moving off in the shadows, and got cocky. I lined it up to where it would jump toward me, right into a barnacle, but I didn't factor in the momentum of it's jump. The barnacle caught it, but it came swinging directly toward my face, undulating and shaking like crazy. I was so startled that I slammed my hand into the wall. 10/10 would do again.
I think I could deal with them outside of the atmosphere they're in? I feel like I could handle the individual pieces of the chapter, but when it's all put together I feel my chest get all fluttery, lol. It's sad because I've been able to handle other VR horror games just fine! It's literally just these little (lmao "little") fuckers that make me feel like I'm dying.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I think I could deal with them outside of the atmosphere they're in? I feel like I could handle the individual pieces of the chapter, but when it's all put together I feel my chest get all fluttery, lol. It's sad because I've been able to handle other VR horror games just fine! It's literally just these little (lmao "little") fuckers that make me feel like I'm dying.
I dunno maybe wait until someone mods a different character model for headcrabs, like a tedybear jumping towards you for a hug :D

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

As I mentioned to the other poster above....best thing to do is actively attack them than wait for them to come to you (especially when they are first introduced). I nope'd out of the game twice trying that initial encounter but managed to push onwards.

I dunno maybe wait until someone mods a different character model for headcrabs, like a tedybear jumping towards you for a hug :D

If I could mod them out I 100% would. Any other model with similar behaviour (even a normal headcrab) would be fine.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to record footage on oculus playing this? I've been running over to my pc to do a game bar recording but its hit or miss

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Listened to a bit of the latest Bombcast and Jeff nitpicks the game hard for a whole lot of menial reasons. I get that it's his shtick these days. But give the game some credit dude. Feels like being contrarian for the sake of it.

Ever since he watched the reveal trailer and started his "VR has been doing this kind of thing for years" I always felt it was going to be an uphill battle with Jeff, and he's also no great fan of Half-Life generally from what I remember.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
The poison headcrabs were the only ones that scared me, just like in Half Life 2. The normal headcrabs and the spikey ones looked so cute waddling towards me.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I completed Alyx at just after 3am this morning, on an i7-6700k, 980ti, and 16 gig RAM and knew immediately that I wanted to play through it again ASAP.

I just ordered a brand new PC, an i9-9900KF, 2080 Super, and 32 gig RAM to arrive on Saturday so I can go through it all hopefully maxed out.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in chapter 4.
I'm finished turning the power back on to the elevator and now I am looking into a room that looks very uninviting...my body is not ready
I just don't know how it could get any better. It's already beyond a 10 because it's so evolutionary. Things can't get better than this, I refuse to believe it. I'm literally shocked at how good this experience has been.

My only concern is that no game will come close to this in the near future. I'll just enjoy this for what it is and return to it when I need that next level itch.
It gets even better. And more intense. And more awesome. It really builds up during the finale as well. There is some amazing stuff waiting for you. Enjoy the ride. I am still kinda euphoric thinking about the whole climax that I played 24 hours ago. It was such an amazing experience. And yes, it will probably take a while until a game reaches this level of immersion and experience again.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Was going to post this same thing. The regular headcrabs are goofy as fuck in this game, hard not to love them.
My friends that have been watching call them thanksgiving turkeys because they look like a raw turkey from the back. They get me, but only because of the shock factor of those little fuckers leaping at me, not some deep and visceral fear.

Simbo

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game this evening after about 13 hours.

What an amazing experience. Not sure anything will top that for a while. Will probably just start it up again tomorrow.

If I have any criticism, and I'm nitpicking, is that I wish there were a few more prolonged gunfights / more Combine to kill.There generally only seems to be about 3 enemies to kill in each encounter and they can be over quite quickly.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
If I have any criticism, and I'm nitpicking, is that I wish there were a few more prolonged gunfights / more Combine to kill.There generally only seems to be about 3 enemies to kill in each encounter and they can be over quite quickly.

This is why I'd love a more combat-oriented HALF-LIFE: BARNEY or something :)

Alxjn

Nov 17, 2017

What an amazing experience. Not sure anything will top that for a while. Will probably just start it up again tomorrow.

I wish they would at least move around, make themselves more difficult to hit, or take cover more. Sometimes it seems like they just stand there looking at you. I get that VR needs to slow things down, but after getting the hang of the movement they feel a little too static.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
So I just started chapter 5, but I have a basic mechanics question: when a headcrab manages to land on me, what is the actual intended way to get it off? I kind of missed the first tool-tip because I was freaking out, but I just sort of end up flailing my arms around while it drains half my health and eventually it lets go, but it, I dunno, doesn't feel like the game wants me to get it off that way and I'm just accidentally triggering it? Am I missing something? Or is panicking about the headcrab on your face actually the intended method?

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I just started chapter 5, but I have a basic mechanics question: when a headcrab manages to land on me, what is the actual intended way to get it off? I kind of missed the first tool-tip because I was freaking out, but I just sort of end up flailing my arms around while it drains half my health and eventually it lets go, but it, I dunno, doesn't feel like the game wants me to get it off that way and I'm just accidentally triggering it? Am I missing something? Or is panicking about the headcrab on your face actually the intended method?
I'm pretty sure the one time it's happened to me so far, I was able to grab the headcrab with my free hand and tear it off.

Oct 27, 2017

I wonder if that's a performance thing more than anything else.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I'm pretty sure the one time it's happened to me so far, I was able to grab the headcrab with my free hand and tear it off.
Hmm, I've definitely tried grabbing while flailing but it never feels like it's registering it as a grab. Granted, I've only been latched onto like 3 times now, so I could just be flailing too much for the game for it to work. I'll try to take it slow and deliberately next time lol, thanks!

Last edited:

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I've definitely tried grabbing while faliling but it never feels like it's registering it as a grab. Granted, I've only been latched onto like 3 times now, so I could just be flailing too much for the game for it to work. I'll try to take it slow and deliberately next time lol, thanks!
It may also be a two hand gesture. All I know is that either my timing is incredible, or I was able to remove it by grabbing it off me somehow.

Speculator

Oct 30, 2017
Austin
Anybody have any issues with the smg not loading properly? It was fine in Chapter 7 (yep...f* Jeff...level was great) but when I load into 8 it bugs out and a majority of the mesh is missing as well as won't play any animations.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't until my second playthrough that I learned you can catch headcrabs mid-jump. It was super awesome grabbing one out of the air with one hand and filling its mouth with bullets with the other.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i need to test oculus link - I'm worried my usb 3 ports won't work properly (and my case is too small to have space for a pcie card to add more I think.

who is playing with virtual desktop and how is it?

Oct 25, 2017
It's a super, super small detail, but when -- or if -- you pick up a pill bottle in Alyx, if you shake it by your ear you can hear the individual pills rattling around.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
It's a super, super small detail, but when -- or if -- you pick up a pill bottle in Alyx, if you shake it by your ear you can hear the individual pills rattling around.

It's a very nice touch. This also works with a lot of other items like some water bottles and matchbooks.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on my second playthrough already, since this game is so damn good. But there's a moment at the start of the game that gave me pause. I'll spoiler tag the rest, but I really want to hear the thoughts of other folks regarding how this game affects Half-Life as a whole.
The game opens with the same spiel as it ends: "Subject: Alyx Vance, yada yada", etc. It's all clearly G-Man's work. But the fact that it appears at the onset of the game, and has been updated by the end indicates something to me: this entire game was G-Man's gambit. And not just G-Man as he was in Half-Life: Alyx, because this incarnation is clearly aware of the events of Episode 2. Potentially, he has some degree of foresight, or might even experience time in a non-linear fashion. Either way, the whole of Half-Life: Alyx is G-Man "scouting" Alyx to determine if this specific incarnation of her is going to be good enough to replace Gordon, given that in five years' time, Gordon will be plucked from G-Man's grasp by the Vortigaunts.

So, why does this game take place five years before Episode 2? Why didn't G-Man offer Alyx the chance to get Eli back then instead of before? Why doesn't she remember this opportunity to change the future in Half-Life 2 and onward? Simply put: the events of Half-Life 2's episodes, and possibly Half-Life 2 itself were a gambit to put the Combine in a position where they'd be weakened, Gordon would serve his purpose, and most importantly: Eli Vance would die. Because with the Combine weak and Gordon no longer subservient, the G-Man would need a new agent to do his bidding. Who better than the woman who, against all odds, fought alongside Gordon almost every step of the way, to the top of the Citadel and back?

Alyx in HLA is emotionally distraught. She's constantly terrified for her father, and his multiple brushes with death leave her terrified of the idea of losing him for good. This makes this younger, more brash incarnation of Alyx more susceptible to the manipulations of the G-Man than an older, wiser Alyx (with the guidance of Gordon and the warnings of her father of the G-Man).

In other words, G-Man picked this point in Alyx's life to "scout" her as "talent", as this is where she's at her most emotionally vulnerable. When offered the opportunity to reverse her father's inevitable death (which it's implied Eli knew was coming in Episode 2), she takes it without considering the consequences of such brash actions. A mysterious man who the Combine locked up in a vault offers her the chance of a lifetime, and doesn't detail what he expects in return.

No wonder Eli is losing his mind over Alyx's sudden disappeared by G-Man's hands at the end of the game. He knows his death was coming, and when his would-be murderer was instead a charred grub on the floor, it became immediately clear to him just how long G-Man has been playing his family like a fiddle.
Great post! I definitely agree with your take.

Further, this provides yet another instance for G-man to play with Eli. He gave him a "pure" sample to put into the Anti-Mass Spectrometer at Black Mesa (Eli probably thought he was going to climb the ladder) to trigger the Resonance Cascade, he subverted Alyx's will to deliver a threatening message to Eli, and opens the way for the Advisors to kill him... and now he allows Alyx to prevent that and torments him still with that act. If Eli finds out that Alyx survived because of G-man and that he's been grooming her as an asset for nearly her entire life, hoo boy. G-man would probably love to tell him.

Oct 25, 2017
The next day, I'm still thinking about scenes in the Northern Star. I'm so ducking happy Valve are making single player games again. God. Just. God.

im nine hours in and about to start chapter six. I don't want it to end.

random aside: one little detail I love love love is the feedback in the quest controllers when your hands brush up against things. It's surreal.

this is probably all old hat for people, but this is my first room scale VR game with motion controls. Ive previously played Astrobot and Moss with PSVR, and while Astrobot was wonderful (they bet Nintendo to the VR equivalent of mario 3D land!), this is a whole other thing.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Played til chapter 8 today. Jeff, are you okay?! lol. Damn that chapter was tense.

I do have a few technical issues though, playing on Oculus Rift S
- The loading screen sometimes flickers and glitches like crazy
- I play with free walk and I get stuttering, doesn't matter which graphics preset I pick, get it from low to ultra. It's not that annoying but definitely noticeable. My setup is Ryzen5 3600, 2070 Super and 16 gb ram. I've searched a bit on reddit and there are more people getting this, next time I'll try disabling some video settings in Steam VR.
- My height is screwed up every time I start the game. This is my first game using the Oculus set so I don't know if there's a quick way to fix this, but what I've done til now is reset the guardian (floor level, play area) and then the height's okay again.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'd kill for, and I'll keep preaching it in this thread, is the ability to turn the center "footprint" to "always on" in the accessibility menu or something.