• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Watch it be delayed and launch the same day as Bloodlines 2

tenor.gif

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So we're all in agreement that a GTX1080 + Index will be more than adequate right?

Right? :(

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Is the quality of the Index worth the $$$ increase over the other higher end brands?

No one can say for sure until Alyx actually releases... a lot of the higher end features of the Index (FOV and finger tracking) are not utilized well for the vast majority of current VR titles. I am guessing Alyx will the game that will properly showcase the full potential of the Index; similar to how usually only Nintendo 1st party games are able to properly showcase Nintendo hardware gimmicks (3D, waggle, etc).

So we're all in agreement that a GTX1080 + Index will be more than adequate right?

Right? :(

Id say 1080ti/2070 at the minimum to take advantage of 100-120Hz rendering... 1080 probably won't hit 90fps.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
So are we expecting a deal on the Index, or should I just go ahead and order one? I'm worried about stock shortages as we get closer...

Oct 27, 2017
Budapest
Why if you dont mind me asking?
Oh, not at all, thank you for the question.

I'm more of a passive player, like even when I have to use the controller's motion control functions on PS4 or the Switch, I get frustrated a bit. Much of gaming's draw for me is just sitting in front of a big screen, chilling out (that's why I'm playing PC games too on TV with a controller when possible). Still, I'm okay with moving - like I work out regularly - but I really don't want to do anything more than button presses while gaming.

For why I'm not in favor of "shutting myself out" from the world: I like to be more or less aware of what's going on around me in the house, I often drink some water while playing, check my phone during the loading screen, etcetera. I know, I can just slide off the headset but yeah, it's just how I tick I guess.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it is.

I have a PSVR, Quest, Rift, Vive, Vive Pro, and an Index.

Index is generally the superior device, though the Vive Pro has it's own advantages (OLED + headband that I can more easily put my over-ear headphones around).

Everything else is a clear, definitive step down. Though I would also argue that it's more than worth it to own a Quest since it is fully portable and with Quest Link allows you to play all the Rift games at roughly equal quality to the Rift and Rift S.
No one can say for sure until Alyx actually releases... a lot of the higher end features of the Index (FOV and finger tracking) are not utilized well for the vast majority of current VR titles. I am guessing Alyx will the game that will properly showcase the full potential of the Index; similar to how usually only Nintendo 1st party games are able to properly showcase Nintendo hardware gimmicks (3D, waggle, etc).

Hmm alright then. Is it realistic to expect an upgraded Index to release next year with any decent improvements?

If not I will try and wait to see if there are any sales on the device closer to release.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Id say 1080ti/2070 at the minimum to take advantage of 100-120Hz rendering... 1080 probably won't hit 90fps.
I actually think it's really hard to say.

Source Engine 2 is *very* efficient. I suspect that it will be a great scaling game.

Hum, i'm not sure, are the voice actors all different? They sound different...
It's been almost 20 years, dude. Even if they are the same voice actors, their voices are going to inherently sound different. That's what ~20 years of aging does to vocal chords.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Man I've just seen the interview video where Geoff says that he has know about it for years

FOR YEARS

Imagine knowing that a new Half Life game would come out for so long, without being able to tell anyone

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Hmm alright then. Is it realistic to expect an upgraded Index to release next year with any decent improvements?

If not I will try and wait to see if there are any sales on the device closer to release.
Very unlikely. Very, very unlikely.

But it's not impossible that a different manufacturer release something with a higher resolution or some such. But I wouldn't expect any major changes in the tech for at least a couple more years.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017

I think the best thing to do is to wait for a sale or initial price drop on the current Index; hopefully in the ~$800 range for the full kit. If an Index 2.0 does come out, it will certainly be outrageously expensive during initial sales.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I ever knew they spelled Alyx with a Y. Also the Y is an upside down lambda, that's so cool.

I've been saving to build a new PC for a bit now, because of Index. Cant wait.

Oct 27, 2017
Man I've just seen the interview video where Geoff says that he has know about it for years

FOR YEARS

Imagine knowing that a new Half Life game would come out for so long, without being able to tell anyone
Imagine the Valve employees who take shit on Twitter daily over not making HL games, knowing they were making a HL game for years.

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, not at all, thank you for the question.

I'm more of a passive player, like even when I have to use the controller's motion control functions on PS4 or the Switch, I get frustrated a bit. Much of gaming's draw for me is just sitting in front of a big screen, chilling out (that's why I'm playing PC games too on TV with a controller when possible). Still, I'm okay with moving - like I work out regularly - but I really don't want to do anything more than button presses while gaming.

For why I'm not in favor of "shutting myself out" from the world: I like to be more or less aware of what's going on around me in the house, I often drink some water while playing, check my phone during the loading screen, etcetera. I know, I can just slide off the headset but yeah, it's just how I tick I guess.

Pretty sure there are methods to this already, vive can link to your phone via bluetooth for example to see notifications. You can't type out responses, there are pre-canned responses I believe. But I'm pretty sure there are other integrated ways to do this already with using OVRdrop.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never say never but why would Valve put their killer exclusive VR title on anything but their own hardware? Especially on lower end hardware that would most certainly degrade the experience. Things like finger tracking for gameplay wouldn't work.

The game literally works on any PCVR compatible headset. I would say that the things that hampers its chances of getting a console port are two: The PSVR's capabilities compared to PCVR sets, and the closed nature of the console systems.
Valve doesn't believe in exclusivity, they have stated it many times.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
I think the best thing to do is to wait for a sale or initial price drop on the current Index; hopefully in the ~$800 range for the full kit. If an Index 2.0 does come out, it will certainly be outrageously expensive during initial sales.

Hmm I'd bite for $700-$800 for the full kit. Grated I can get some hands on time with some devices before purchase.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, this looks really good but it'll look ten times better if it wasn't VR with these stupidass floating hands.
I swear down you haven't played VR have you? When you are in the headset you barely notice your hands, you aren't staring at your hands irl are you? You are looking at the environment, enemies, your weapon, etc...

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
In what way? I've got no experience with either and we don't have any lying around, lol.

I've had a Vive since launch, and have used the Pro in various arcades for long periods of time.

With the Index, it's a bunch of small improvements that make the headset much more enjoyable to use. The field of view upgrade is significant over the others, to the point where it's jarring when I put on my friends Quest after getting used to Index. The 120hz option is nice but honestly didn't make a huge difference to me, I ended up dropping the default back to 90hz until I get a new video card. Want to test this out again soon. The biggest thing for me is the 'sweet spot' or overall clarity of the picture, not having to move your head to read text that is in your peripheral is a big selling point. Granted it still gets blurry at the outermost edges, but a world of difference compared to the OLED displays of the Vive/Pro. Finally I was originally a skeptic, but the integrated speakers that float off the sides of your ears are a brilliant decision for long sessions. Not having that pressure on your ears goes a long ways, and they sound great to boot.

It's also significantly more comfortable to wear, only downside is it seems to get a bit hotter than my Vive.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that we don't see Dog (unless he's in the background somewhere and I missed him). He's supposed to be smaller during this time period so shouldn't be too much of an overpowered companion.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how long it takes until the whole kit is marked down to that price range. 1 year? 2 years?

I am honestly hoping for some sort of end of year deal or maybe closer to launch to try and push the game.

Guess we will see if that is even likely. Coming with HL:Alyx does mitigate the cost already somewhat as well.

May 10, 2019
I've been on the fence with VR but I'm getting a beefer PC over the holidays and seeing this and some of the other games, I think it's time for VR as well.