• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

Votes: 28 3.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 204 21.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 519 54.8%
  • 85-89

Votes: 153 16.2%
  • 80-84

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • <75

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
First mixed review is out and i think that dream is dead now. Added to OC.

www.ausgamers.com

Half-Life: Alyx Review

Our Half-Life: Alyx Review - for an in-depth, unbiased review of the latest and greatest video games, read on.
That's one funny review, far too inconsistent that at times it feels like he is forced to make hottakes, just look at the reviewer contradicting himself:

And that is an average VR game with above-average polish and technology.

Also in the same review:

I can't stress enough how impressive the technology is. I am a veteran of VR at this point, and Half-Life: Alyx is far and away the most polished VR game I have played.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
First mixed review is out and i think that dream is dead now. Added to OC.

www.ausgamers.com

Half-Life: Alyx Review

Our Half-Life: Alyx Review - for an in-depth, unbiased review of the latest and greatest video games, read on.

"Countless times I found myself reaching for pistol clips that just wouldn't come."

Really? I wonder what happened there as this was not a problem for me and I haven't seen anyone else saying the same.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Is the whole review an april fools joke, because it contradicts each other several times.

"Due to VR there are not that many enemies and its really easy to kill them."
"Waves after waves of enemies come and you will be killed really easily."

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
"Countless times I found myself reaching for pistol clips that just wouldn't come."

Really? I wonder what happened there as this was not a problem for me and I haven't seen anyone else saying the same.
They said they played on the OG Vive, with the wands...I wonder if that had something to do with it. I have an OG Vive (with wireless adapter) as well, but I play with Index Controllers. I haven't tried playing HL Alyx with the wants yet. I'm pretty sure you can still use the trigger on both the wands and Index controllers to grab ammo, but maybe they were trying to use the grip buttons on the wands? Those grip buttons on the wands are really awkward.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
They said they played on the OG Vive, with the wands...I wonder if that had something to do with it. I have an OG Vive (with wireless adapter) as well, but I play with Index Controllers. I haven't tried playing HL Alyx with the wants yet. I'm pretty sure you can still use the trigger on both the wands and Index controllers to grab ammo, but maybe they were trying to use the grip buttons on the wands? Those grip buttons on the wands are really awkward.

They might be awkward to use, but after a couple of hours using them, you would imagine you would get used to it. I also have the OG Vive, but I played HLA on the Quest. I have played several games using the grip buttons without problems. I'm really curious to find out what happened here, "countless times" sounds like he spent the whole game having problems with it. To me that mechanic was second nature and accurate to use after the first 20 minutes.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They might be awkward to use, but after a couple of hours using them, you would imagine you would get used to it. I also have the OG Vive, but I played HLA on the Quest. I have played several games using the grip buttons without problems. I'm really curious to find out what happened here, "countless times" sounds like he spent the whole game having problems with it. To me that mechanic was second nature and accurate to use after the first 20 minutes.
Before I bought the Index controllers, I played Pavlov with the Vive wands and boy they were awkward, since you have to hold onto and let go of the gun so much to grab ammo to reload. Having to press that button makes a lot of difference. With Index controllers I could just release grip and grab what I need without really thinking about it.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Before I bought the Index controllers, I played Pavlov with the Vive wands and boy they were awkward, since you have to hold onto and let go of the gun so much to grab ammo to reload. Having to press that button makes a lot of difference. With Index controllers I could just release grip and grab what I need without really thinking about it.

I agree they might be awkward or uncomfortable to use, but to me that is different from them not responding when I need them to. I left my Vive back at the office, when I can I will use it to test HLA.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough I never had trouble pulling ammo out but did find putting ammo or resin in over the shoulder pretty finicky.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Usually I don't do these without seeing or understanding more of the game and I'm usually always on point with games I follow closely, but what the hell:
I'll throw out 93 for the fun of it.

I'm too fucking good at this shit ERA.

I swear I'm always on point when it comes to this - I always get the score right within 1 point or exactly after seeing a good amount preview and some reading about it.

I wish that there was a way of tracking all my past predictions easily. I haven't saved all the links to ones I've done in the past.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm surprised that with my Oculus Quest over Link I literally never once had a time where behind the back gestures glitched out. 100% reliability for me across 15 hours of play. If it worked that well for me in that case it seems like a native PCVR headset should also be flawless.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Game only has 1 "mixed" review and that person gave it a lower score because they didn't like that it was so accessible to people new to VR it seems. Game could have hit a 95 or so by now.