• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

Votes: 28 3.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 204 21.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 519 54.8%
  • 85-89

Votes: 153 16.2%
  • 80-84

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • <75

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
I got a reservation for some Index controllers, which come with a copy of the game, but haven't heard anything since I got a spot in line. I assume this Covid stuff has messed up their supply chain or something? I suppose I'll wait to play it because I'd rather play it with those controllers than my old Vive controllers.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Oh wow did anyone read the VentureBeat review? Seemingly docked points for releasing now. In the middle of a pandemic.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The horror focus probably means I won't ever finish this. Glad to pick it up and support the series though. I'm so sick of VR spiders.

Oct 30, 2017
This is like if elderly Bruce Wayne came out of retirement, donned the Batsuit, and went and upstaged Nightwing.

You didn't expect it to happen, but it did and it turned out better than you thought. The fact that Valve announced and released this thing within a 3 month time span is just stupid.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Seems like a winner. Sadly I don't have the rig or the headset to run it. Hopefully Sony will not fuck the PSVR2 controllers up cuz missing out on this could be a real blunder on their VR front. That said if it starts to seem like it won't be hitting the console space when we get news on the next gen VR stuff I'll prolly finally have to get a PC VR headset.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
VentureBeat's review is pure garbage: "Real life is scary right now so Half Life Alyx isn't the right game to play."

Otherwise I'm happy to see reviewers are loving it.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah Im bummed that valve is holding half-life hostage with the vr stuff but im glad its reviewing well.

Ill likely never be able to play it and thats a fucking bummer.

Heres hoping for 3 sometime

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As a massive fan of HL and HL2...I'm crushed I'll probably never play this.

But congrats to the team. Hope this means more Half-Life in the future.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Im bummed that valve is holding half-life hostage with the vr stuff but im glad its reviewing well.

"Holding Half-Life hostage"....holy shit at the rhetoric on this forum sometimes.

Happy, but unsurprised at the review performance. Big day for everyone at Valve, super stoked to see the success of the team!

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
It's an incredibly immersive experience. It's just one I didn't really want to be immersed in right now.

But this VR experience is landing at a time when a pandemic is taking hold over the world. So, you know, I may already be a bit on edge. Bundle that with how playing VR can be uncomfortable and Alyx's more survival-horror take on the franchise, and I often wished that I didn't have to play this game at this particular moment in history.

From the Venturebeat review.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
So do we know if this is entirely a prequel, or is there some time travely stuff to connect it to the end of Episode 2?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
This will be the best game that the most people will never play.

Edit: guess I shouldn't say "never". If VR becomes more commonplace in the future people will probably go back and play this.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

3 will be almost certainly be a VR game now, considering the positive reception.

The good thing is that there's no way such a game would release in less than 4-5 years, so VR will be much cheaper/accessible by then.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Oh wow did anyone read the VentureBeat review? Seemingly docked points for releasing now. In the middle of a pandemic.
It wasn't only the timing of release that was brought up as something the reviewer brought up as a negative though.

And they still gave it an 8/10 which is a good score.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The horror aspect actually makes me want to try to get through Resident Evil 7. I am truly afraid to get through that game in VR.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't have VR and I've never played a Half-Life game, but now I'm curious lol

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Man I want this so bad. Now more than ever I can't justify shelling out for a big VR headset but this is top of my "One fucking day..." list for sure. Love what I've read in some of the reviews so far, I almost know I'll enjoy this.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You worked a bit on this, right? Congrats!
I did have the pleasure of working on and doing quite a bit of testing back when it was only known as "HL: VR" . It was nearly 3 years ago. Things came a long way :)
Especially because this is essentially a different developer, as Valve has changed a lot in the past two decades.
Valve has such an ingrained set of principles and values, that while the team might not be 100% the same people, the spirit of the company creating the game is very much unchanged. It shows in the work!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Bunch more 10/10 reviews coming in, this is probably gonna settle in the 94s - 95s tbh.