• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions?

Votes: 28 3.0%
  • 95-99

Votes: 204 21.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 519 54.8%
  • 85-89

Votes: 153 16.2%
  • 80-84

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • <75

Votes: 10 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Had to look up this VentureBeat review and literally laughed out loud that people are squabbling over an 8/10.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I was going to just read the verdicts from each review, but seeing that the ign one already sounds spoilery, I decided to just look at the scores and go in completely blind for the rest of it....have to wait till 5:30 since the room where my VR setup is, is also my wife's work from home office space lol agonyyyyyyy

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
As a reviewer myself, I strongly disagree. I think that our mission is to judge a product on its own merits and while I can understand real-world events influencing the score if the game is commenting on them, I struggle to think of any logical reason why the score of HL: Alyx should be affected by the coronavirus pandemic. If anything the game comes out at a time when people desperately need distractions from the issues of the real world and some entertainment in their homes because they can't go out and enjoy life outside.
This seems to assume that points were knocked off for this reason. Reading the review, there are definitely some other qualms they had with the game - they brought up movement issues in VR and same environments.

Cultural and current events can be brought into a review without necessarily being related to the score (which itself is a very good score still)

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
User Warned: Port Begging
I really hope this ends up on PS5 / PS VR, only way I'll realistically ever play it

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I completely disagree with this. Reviews would need to be consumed with history books, weather reports and the reviewers mood ring to determine if the score was based on the game or the reviewers off day. Let's be honest and say that you have no business reviewing a game that you don't want to play (at absolutely no fault of the game).
I want to hear about the reviewer's experience with the game, that includes how personal or largely irrelevant experiences impacted their playing or interpretation of the game. That stuff is far more interesting to me than a cold and detached analysis.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Why? Games do not exist in a vacuum, they exist as moments of culture within wider society. There was a time while reviewing Alyx where, late in the night, it hit me that I needed to call my mother and tell her she was no longer allowed to see her grandchild. I cried into the VR headset, and had to give myself a moment of "What the fuck am I doing here?" before progressing forward. Reflecting that in your examination of the art makes perfect sense. You have plenty of extremely positive reviews from people who didn't have that hangup. Grow up.

The poster you're responding to was being very reasonable.

Thank you for putting the effort into writing a review for Half-Life: Alyx when it was difficult for you to do so: I'm sympathetic to your situation.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Too bad OC does not list enhanced editions because there is also this:
opencritic.com

Persona 5 Royal Reviews

Persona 5 Royal brilliantly tweaks the original game by building on fan feedback, adding new characters and content that manages to set the bar even higher for what a JRPG can be in the modern...

With FFVII and RE3 in the next two weeks we are eating!
It does list enhanced editions, in the past it only lists games on release day.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
As a reviewer myself, I strongly disagree. I think that our mission is to judge a product on its own merits and while I can understand real-world events influencing the score if the game is commenting on them, I struggle to think of any logical reason why the score of HL: Alyx should be affected by the coronavirus pandemic. If anything the game comes out at a time when people desperately need distractions from the issues of the real world and some entertainment in their homes because they can't go out and enjoy life outside.
No game is reviewed on its merits alone. You perceive all art and everything else through your own biases and an unwritten frame of context. The pursuit of objectivity is a worthless exercise and the best outlets have moved to engage with games as art and not products in the white vacuum of consumer oblivion.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Why? Games do not exist in a vacuum, they exist as moments of culture within wider society. There was a time while reviewing Alyx where, late in the night, it hit me that I needed to call my mother and tell her she was no longer allowed to see her grandchild. I cried into the VR headset, and had to give myself a moment of "What the fuck am I doing here?" before progressing forward. Reflecting that in your examination of the art makes perfect sense. You have plenty of extremely positive reviews from people who didn't have that hangup. Grow up.
What a weird take. Also, "grow up" lmao

Draughn

Oct 29, 2017
Redmond, WA
Because the tone, setting, graphics, atmosphere and general feel of the game only underline the current general day to day life instead of distracting from it. Even I thought that was pretty clear from the review.

I'm really looking forward to see how the tone, atmosphere, and general feel of this first person shooter/horror game aligns with the reality we are living in now. I haven't seen an ounce of it in gameplay yet, but I'm gonna keep my mind open.

sYko de4d

Oct 28, 2017
man another great game this month. If you think about how much games got delayed for this month and we still got 4-5 90+ titles :D

I hope we see alot of Mods vor Half Life VR :)

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play this so hard. It makes me sad I don't personally have the hardware.

And yet....

Thanks to working from home I have my work desktop in my spare room with a GTX 2080ti RTX, an i9 and 64gb ram......I've been making noises about VR at work for work purposes (refurb stuff) so have been intending to hire a VR headset, a vive or something. It's not too expensive. Reckon I could install Steam VR/Steam on there as I have admin rights.......

Tempted....

So tempted.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This person was not in the correct emotional state to review a game. As a result, his own real world emotions made it's way into the review. That's not professionalism.

You absolutely cannot under any circumstances reflect your real life circumstances in a review. That's negative bias.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's your problem. It has smooth locomotion and runs at 60 FPS. A world of difference between Alyx at 90 FPS with teleportation, or even with smooth locomotion.
That's part of your problem. That game doesn't have a teleport option does it?
I'm not sure. Though honestly I couldn't play HL Alyx even if I wanted to, I have a PSVR but I can't afford to get a headset for PC, and I'm not even sure my PC is powerful enough to run it properly.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
This person was not in the correct emotional state to review a game. As a result, his own real world emotions made it's way into the review. That's not professionalism.

You absolutely cannot under any circumstances reflect your real life circumstances in a review. That's negative bias.
I too want completely emotionless takes on all video games.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, this from Eurogamer is excellent:

"And the more I played of Alyx, the more I thought about how VR and Half-Life were made for each other. And the more this left me thinking about the G-Man, the shadowy figure in a suit who turns up at crucial moments throughout the series and does intriguing stuff. The G-Man is the focal point for a lot of lore conspiracies in Half-Life. Who is he? Is he human? Is he Gordon Freeman himself?

Let's not worry whether he makes an appearance in Alyx or not. Maybe it doesn't matter. Because throughout the course of this game, I think I worked out who he really is. He's Valve. Think about it: inscrutable Valve, a company that seems to see further than most, that seems to have a separate agenda to that of most developers - and who, granted, doesn't always seem to be entirely benevolent. The G-Man disappears for long periods of time, but then turns up just as events have caught up with his intentions. It's his way or no way at all. He waits for the right pieces to appear, and then he makes the most of them with little apparent effort."

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

Says who

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I too want completely emotionless takes on all video games.
That's not what I said. The emotion written in a review should come from playing the game, what the game invoked, what it offers to the person as a game-playing experience. Not bringing real life issues into the game and then having those overshadow what the game invokes.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Why not. It is an artistic work, not a fridge.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

every single piece of media is looked through a biased lense , what are you on about

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I really want to buy it and play it....but i m always sick on vr game :/ Maybe playing it with teleport only can help me on this ? i should try and refund :/

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Because the tone, setting, graphics, atmosphere and general feel of the game only underline the current general day to day life instead of distracting from it. Even I thought that was pretty clear from the review.
I bet The Last Of Us 2 will be the next game similarly affected by real-world events. The story is about a virus and the game seems to be incredibly bleak and full of graphic violence.

Anyway, I can't wait for my headset to arrive. I should have my money saved up and ready when the Index is back in stock.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

Reviews are inherently biased. It isn't a news report.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Played a few minutes. Can't wait till done work to dig in for real.
So far it's pretty great!
3700x 2080ti both watercooled, rift s, smooth as butter on max settings.
BO3PCnn.jpg

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Had to look up this VentureBeat review and literally laughed out loud that people are squabbling over an 8/10.

Yeah, my mistake was pulling out the headline and jumping off point from the review and stating that it looked like it had been docked points for it, when the reality is that these comments aside, the review clearly explains where the game itself falters.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I bet The Last Of Us 2 will be the next game similarly affected by real-world events. The story is about a virus and the game seems to be incredibly bleak and full of graphic violence.

Anyway, I can't wait for my headset to arrive. I should have my money saved up and ready when the Index is back in stock.
Absolutely. This is literally the worst time to bring that game into stores.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
There's your problem. It has smooth locomotion and runs at 60 FPS. A world of difference between Alyx at 90 FPS with teleportation, or even with smooth locomotion.
I've played Boneworks a few times on my Vive and I could somewhat stomach smooth movement. My Index controllers arrived yesterday (good timing too) so I decided to try Boneworks again and just now realized there was a smooth turning option instead of snap turning. I nearly threw up when I tested it out lol

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
That's not what I said. The emotion written in a review should come from playing the game, what the game invoked, what it offers to the person as a game-playing experience. Not bringing real life issues into the game and then having those overshadow what the game invokes.
All people reviewing all games will bring in their real-world biases and the best reviews (in my opinion) recognise these exist and explore them in relation to what they're talking about.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure. Though honestly I couldn't play HL Alyx even if I wanted to, I have a PSVR but I can't afford to get a headset for PC, and I'm not even sure my PC is powerful enough to run it properly.
Looking at gameplay videos I don't think it has it. Teleport movement shouldn't normally make you sick since the world doesn't move around you. Also as DarthBuzzard mentioned it's a 60hz game which makes it more likely to make you sick just from moving your head. Most of the PC headsets support around 90 with the Index going up to 144hz (though almost nothing can run that high lol). The point being that some of your issues are likely already fixed and conditions should be even better 4-5 years from now. I'm also partially convinced that some of this brain interface stuff Gabe Newell has been talking about lately will go towards fighting motion sickness lol (but that's probably further out).

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I completely disagree with this. Reviews would need to be consumed with history books, weather reports and the reviewers mood ring to determine if the score was based on the game or the reviewers off day. Let's be honest and say that you have no business reviewing a game that you don't want to play (at absolutely no fault of the game). I agree with others that it likely didn't impact the number, but come on saying it's ok to review games like that.
If one reads a review of Half-Life Alyx so far removed from our current moment that they require a history book to understand what COVID-19 is then they would also need a history book to understand any game review ever written. What is a lootbox? What is a controller? What are graphics? My mind and body are one with the matrix. What is this thing they call outside?

And the reviewer of Half-Life Alyx who engages with COVID-19 in their review as the virus is underway is a primary source and therefore extremely valuable, so far as history books are concerned. The false-objective car review of a game is not.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Are people really getting bent out of shape for one, singular review that was an 8/10 (still great) for their pet game? The game is a triumph with a 93 aggregate. Is that not enough?