• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
uploadvr.com

Half-Life: Alyx Makes Top 25 Concurrent Daily Players List On Steam

Half-Life: Alyx made its way into the top 25 of Steam’s concurrent players list on release day. At the time of writing, it peaked at 42,858 concurrent players, placing it firmly in the top 25 games for the day with the highest concurrent players on Steam, VR or

Half-Life: Alyx made its way into the top 25 of Steam's concurrent players list on release day. At the time of writing, it peaked at 42,858 concurrent players, placing it firmly in the top 25 games for the day with the highest concurrent players on Steam, VR or otherwise.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Looking at what the game is, a very exclusive title, that seems like an excellent number? I wish I had the means to play it but I have never able to have the excess funds to buy into VR (I know you don't need an index). From what I've seen on twitch it looks like an extraordinarily well crafted game.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sounds insane... Red Dead 2 got to, what, 35,000 in the first 24 hours?

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Didn't Doom have like 100k?

This is a megaton. Not many people own a VR headset compared to the rest of the Steam playerbase. It's not even comparable

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'm gonna imagine the adoption rate of VR headsets has increased a lot since I last ever saw numbers then, OR is just the appeal of the title is overwhelming to the vast majority of owners. Either way that's a great result.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
It's an insane number for VR. Boneworks is the next highest at under 9k which is about double Beat Saber's (at least on Steam), and I was super impressed with both of those numbers at the time.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
This is game is going to make the VR mainstream, and with the VR that Valve, HP and Microsoft are developing, plus the PSVR 2, I think there's a bright future for VR.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Headsets selling out since it was announced. Thats bringing aboard lots of core players.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
I feel bad not being part of the player numbers because I moved my setup to a bigger room to play but didn't bother to connect to internet since I don't use wifi on the PC. But I've been playing! It is so good. GOTY material. Game of this generation to me.

I hope Valve keeps up their work on VR games.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Soooo I thought why not compare this number with other PC VR games on steam and.... wow the most close a steamVR game has come to Alyx is VRChat and that game is FREE on steam with a concurrent player number of 20, 0320 and as for the rest...

Superhot VR: 839
Boneworks: 8, 717
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR: 3, 048
Beat Saber: 4, 472

so Alyx's 42K concurrent players number at launch easily dwarfs ALL of the PCVR titles released so far on SteamVR.

Hence I'd be totally inclined to believe in what this user is saying...

This seems megaton for a VR game

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo I thought why not compare this number with other PC VR games on steam and.... wow the most close a steamVR game has come to Alyx is VRChat and that game is FREE on steam with a concurrent player number of 20, 0320 and as for the rest...

so Alyx's 42K concurrent players number at launch easily dwarfs ALL of the PCVR titles released so far on SteamVR.

Also with VRChat you don't need to own VR to use it.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
"firmly in the top 25"

I mean, not to be negative Nancy, but a half life game shouldn't brag about that.

Edit: Currently 46 if I counted right, as of 9:13 PM Texas time.

Half of those are probably f2p and/or multiplayer. For a full priced single player VR game it's pretty crazy. Look at it however you want...I personally see it as 5x the peak concurrent players of the next biggest VR game, and nearly half of Doom Eternal's peak.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
It's still at #1 on the sales chart btw

7k extremely positive user reviews

Amazing numbers for an amazing game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I think, to put those others in context (and to give HL:Alyx it's props), there's never been a VR title that has had DAY ONE HYPE before really. Everything else has been this constant interest thing that just ticks along getting sales. We know that other VR games, like Beat Saber, have done really well in sales but that's presumably over time, not all on one launch day. It's taken time for the market to open up to VR and since Superhot VR, Skyrim VR, Beat Saber etc launched we've seen tons of new hardware at lower and lower pricepoints (like the Quest!) while those games have continued to be popular. But constant, steady sales over x amount of years/months doesn't equal maxium concurrent players. Half-Life has absolutely had people waiting for launch and then all jumping on at the same time. Worth it too.

Also side note that Superhot, Beat Saber and Boneworks are all available elsewhere other than Steam, like the Oculus Store. SteamVR doesn't equal PCVR. I imagine they've all picked up huge sales and have a lot of their playerbases playing via the Oculus Store, considering how prevalent the Oculus CV1, Quest and S are in the PCVR space.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Those numbers weren't great for Red Dead 2. These numbers for Half-Life are very good for a VR game.

Didn't Red Dead release 3-4 weeks later on Steam though? Glad to see this is doing well. Wishing I had pulled the trigger on the Index now that I'm going to be inside for who knows how long.

Oct 25, 2017
It beats the previous record for concurrent player peak (Beat Saber had 42,095, launch window on the Oculus Quest in July 2019) by less than 800 players.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only wish all the best for Alyx. I also wish it's the last Half Life game on VR.
Same. I'm loving HL: Alyx so far, but I know plenty of people who love the series and are disappointed that they aren't able to play this game. It'd be a shame if they made a game that continues the story of HL2: Episode 2, that'd then be VR only. That's not to say that Valve shouldn't make more VR games, I hope that they do, but I'd prefer Half-Life's continuation to be more accessible to people.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It beats the previous record for concurrent player peak (Beat Saber had 42,095, launch window on the Oculus Quest in July 2019) by less than 800 players.

Ok, ignore what I said earlier I guess. Considering Beat Saber can also be bought/played via the Oculus Store, it's clearly still had the highest concurrent players.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Same. I'm loving HL: Alyx so far, but I know plenty of people who love the series and are disappointed that they aren't able to play this game. It'd be a shame if they made a game that continues the story of HL2: Episode 2, that'd then be VR only. That's not to say that Valve shouldn't make more VR games, I hope that they do, but I'd prefer Half-Life's continuation to be more accessible to people.

Nah. Sony and MS (Please MS) will have VR solutions. It will become more accessible over time