• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, what? That's a very weird about face. My hype for TGA completely evaporated. Why would they pull out last second?

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGHHH

This sucks, there goes most of my interest. :(

So weird, didn't Geoff Keighley say it was gonna be there?

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna know what happened in the span of a month for the trailer to be pulled just hours before the show. I guess they wanted to show certain parts of the game but couldn't get them polished enough in time?
Game is playable all the way through but that don't mean it's completely bug free or feature complete. Probably added an important feature and it broke

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly just sounds like demo-related technical difficulties, hence the tweet still confidently mentioning the March release window and this happening just a few hours before.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but wonder if Geoff is a bit irritated at this last minute cancel announcement. He probably knew beforehand but this sort of thing can affect viewership just the same considering how both he and Valve built up its presence at the show a month ago.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really doesn't inspire confidence they aren't willing to show gameplay(more than that very short trailer) until almost 2 months or closer til release. Either this is getting delayed or the quality of this is going to seriously be suspect.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Was it supposed to be a live demo or something? It seems strange they would pull out like that if it were just a pre-recorded trailer/gameplay segment

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
They must have known this on Monday. Should have tweeted this then. Not 3 hours before the show. Whatever though, what do i know. Why didnt they tweet this as the show began?

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
They want to stifle interest to lessen demand for the Index so it isn't "out of stock" for such a prolonged period. You see, it all makes sense.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They could have a polished ready to release game and still have some sort of issues setting up a demo for an awards show. Especially for something like VR.

The game could get delayed but this isn't evidence of anything.

Oct 31, 2017
It's so weird to see the announcement barely hours before the show, when it was previously confirmed to appear there.
Makes this sound like something didn't work as intended at the very last minute.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Red flag, and worrying sign. Too soon to give up hope, but....we'll see.
Not really, live demos get cancelled far more often than you are aware of. There can be a ton of reasons unrelated to the actual state of the game for a live demo to be pulled. Heck, a live demo might have been a good idea on paper but once you actually rehearse and see the footage on screen, a VR game might not be as "watchable" as you might think for an event like this.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Not really, live demos get cancelled far more often than you are aware of. There can be a ton of reasons unrelated to the actual state of the game for a live demo to be pulled. Heck, a live demo might have been a good idea on paper but once you actually rehearse and see the footage on screen, a VR game might not be as "watchable" as you might think for an event like this.
It's backwards really; if the game was in such poor state for the show they would have known that before announcing their presence there.

Something going wrong with a demo != something wrong with game development. I mean they announced the release time frame at basically the same time they announced they'd be at TGA, it makes no sense that in that short time something went so terribly wrong that it means GAME DELAY!

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What probably happened:
"Gaben: We're having a live demo for TGA"
"Geoff: Amazing! See you there"
Close to the show, during rehearsal
"Gaben: Apparently using the Index on-stage with hundreds of people and devices gives way too much interference and will screw up the demo(think Skyward Sword demo but 10x worse)"

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if it was a live demo issue, would have been nice to have another short trailer ready just in case. This really bums me out. I was looking forward to this for the past few weeks.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
What probably happened:
"Gaben: We're having a live demo for TGA"
"Geoff: Amazing! See you there"
Close to the show, during rehearsal
"Gaben: Apparently using the Index on-stage with hundreds of people and devices gives way too much interference and will screw up the demo(think Skyward Sword demo but 10x worse)"
Exactly what I was thinking. There's so many things that can go wrong with a regular live demo, add VR and motion tracking into the mix and you have yourself a nightmare if it goes wrong. Might not have even been that big of an issue, but Valve couldn't really afford a big screw up after being silent for so long I feel.