• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off

This year, the Hallmark Channel will broadcast 24 all-new, made-for-tv holiday romance movies as part of its "Countdown to Christmas" programming. That's up three from last year. None of those films, however, will feature any same-sex couples. In fact, to date, Hallmark has never produced a single movie featuring a gay lead.

But that may soon be changing.

Bill Abbott, CEO of the Hallmark Channel, recently told The Hollywood Reporter that the company is "open" to making movies featuring LGBTQ leads and storylines, it just hasn't received the right script… yet.

When asked specifically whether Hallmark has considered incorporating stories about same-sex couples at Christmastime, Abbott replied, "We're open to really any type of movie of any type of relationship in any space."

"We are always encouraging people to bring us stories across the board," he added. "It's certainly something that we do discuss consistently with our team and with our talent and with the agencies."

Abbott went on to say the company receives a lot of really bad scripts and stories, which is part of the problem.

"It's not always that simple a process where you put the word out and you get back three great scripts and three great stories," he explains. "We put the word out that we're doing an original series and we get 50 bad stories."

Naturally, many conservatives don't like the sound of this. Even if Hallmark hasn't made any LGBTQ movies yet, it's clearly eminent, and that's not good. After all, the channel is supposed to represent the status quo of America, which, until recently, meant only telling stories about straight, white, cisgender people. If they start adding LGBTQ perspectives into the mix, what does that say about our Judeo-Christian values?!
There a ton of tweets in the article but I can't figure out how to add them to the OP.

The fact that Hallmark are doing this is honestly a great thing, as a queer person, it makes me happy to see more LBGat representation across all forms of media.

Anyone opposed to this and viewing as it an attack on morals can get firmly fucking in the sea.

I'll quote someone who I have cone to greatly admire, the wrestler Effy. Make it gayer.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I always think it's weird when articles like these choose literal nobodies to link to. I guess not a lot of old people are on Twitter and the younger anti-gay people on Twitter don't watch Hallmark

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
i wonder if they actually go through with this, they'll cast actual lbgt actors or just pair lacey chabert with another hallmark actor

hallmark really loves lacey chabert

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Would love for same sex relationships in their holiday movies, along with more non-white casts members. The ones I have seen are mostly filled with white actors.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Lori Loughlin was the truly the dike keeping all the.... lesbians held back

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
No biggie, I make plenty of typos, there is one in this thread that I noticed and fixed after it got quoted.
The quote in your OP is a hellscape of script.

FXzlMOA.png

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My MAGA relatives basically have the Hallmark channel running 24/7 from November 1 to New Years. I cannot wait to hear their reaction.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Between this and a Chik-Fil-A article Google recommended to me about people freaking the fuck out because they are donating to Southern Poverty Law conservatives are going to be quite sad.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing so much queerbaiting in recent years, my default stance is "I'll believe it when I see it."

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
"We put the word out that we're doing an original series and we get 50 bad stories. And we make every single one."

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact Hallmark censors Psych, they bleep out "Ass"

They must be plateauing and realing they are getting real competition. BET and OWN have made "Urban" Christmas movies this year and they were a big hit

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't before? I feel like they've made at least one

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Fun fact Hallmark censors Psych, they bleep out "Ass"

They must be plateauing and realing they are getting real competition. BET and OWN have made "Urban" Christmas movies this year and they were a big hit

Oh which ones?

Been trying to find more POC Christmas flicks. I found a few on... Tubi

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be more offended if I was a writer who'd submitted a script to them in the past.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
By right script they mean one that causes the least amount of discomfort possible.