• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But that closet scene though. "Out of your goddamn mind."

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm waiting for some reveal that this is an actual sequel to H2. Among other things. That being said, retconning the sibling rivalry out isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Because, honestly, even Carpenter said that he wanted Myers to be some sort of force of nature rather than some dude in a mask, and I've never bought McBride's "we're making Myers human again" angle. Myers was never "human".

It's not a sequel to 2, Myers ain't burned.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He's bald in this movie, the person ramming their head into the door has longer hair...it's not him.

I mean unless he already has the mask on but the screencap I saw didn't appear to have the mask in it.
I am just trying to figure out who it could be and how that scene plays out.

If Michael comes in and drops the teeth but doesn't harass the woman, she's sure as hell not sitting in that stall when it's safe to leave and if the documentary guy or the mechanic come in busting the door down, I can't see her staying in the stall afterwards either. Basically, I can't see her staying in the stall after any of those events happen so I am inclined to think Michael drops the teeth and the breaks the door down unless I am missing something really basic.

EDIT - maybe Michael kills the mechanic in the bathroom, drags the body out and drops the teeth in the stall?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Laurie visited Michael during the 40 years he's in there, I'd have thought she would if she was so obsessed with him.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow I thought this was a reboot.

But a continuation movie WITH Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode?!?

I'm all in baby.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
John Carpenter is involved so this one is probably worth watching.
do we know how involved? from what I can recall reading all I know is that he read the script and signed off on it. I wonder if he suggested changes and had some level of creative input or whether he just decided signing off on the script was worth the paycheck so he could go smoke weed, play video games and jam out some synth rock with his son.

I wish he'd direct another movie. I like The Ward much more than most people but I still don't love it as a final film.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Wait - how would that work? I can't see a scenario where it is not Michael banging on the door.
Michael Myers is banging the mechanic's head on the door.

H20 was awful. Myers mask was awful, he moved nothing like Myers, he's a brute machine in scenes, then in others he hanging off of pipes like some kind of ninja. His eyes are clearly visible throughout the movie, the kills are over the top, and everything is so brightly lit. Everything about H20 including it's poster was post Scream era slasher crap. Nothing about it felt like a Halloween movie, it's gotten worse with age too.
Yeah, never was a fan of H20. It reeked of that era of horror, and to be frank, I HATED that era. The most I was able to stand was the first Scream, which was a fine movie, but all the others, throughout the late 90s and into a good chunk of the 00s... I REALLY hated that sorta shit. That "scene" of horror was proto to what we have now with various young CW-esque stars in various teeny-bopper horror flicks (Truth or Dare, one of the more recent examples). Gag me with a spoon...

Last edited:

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost certain that's the male documentarian whose head is being slammed into the bathroom, it would make sense given his partner is the one in the stall.

Dude has a beard and all that.
qslrG0O.png

qslrG0O

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge Halloween fan. Huge. Halloween 1 and 3 all day every day. We watch them regularly in my house. The whole family enjoys them.

Apologies for not reading the whole thread yet, I was in a meeting all day and couldn't watch this until just now.

I'm very interested. We're all going on release day no questions asked, but the teeth and headbutt thing doesn't seem like something Micheal would do. I can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't feel right, but it doesn't to me.

Anyone else feel similar?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge Halloween fan. Huge. Halloween 1 and 3 all day every day. We watch them regularly in my house. The whole family enjoys them.

Apologies for not reading the whole thread yet, I was in a meeting all day and couldn't watch this until just now.

I'm very interested. We're all going on release day no questions asked, but the teeth and headbutt thing doesn't seem like something Micheal would do. I can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't feel right, but it doesn't to me.

Anyone else feel similar?

It's been talked about but I don't think it's out of character. He's a bit sardonic in the original, so I don't think the teeth thing is out of character. He's not headbutting the door, he's using the other guy as a battering ram.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, just caught up with that it isn't Mike headbutting doors in! What a relief! I actually sent a screenshot of that post to my daughter lol.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
You know, most of the films retcon at least *something* from the previous film. H2 retcons the ending of 1 (Loomis freaks out vs not being surprised) and adds the sister thing. 3 tries to reboot the franchise into an anthology one. 4 retcons both the end of 2 and the shift to an anthology. 5 retcons the end of 4 and the Myer's house. 6 retcons Michael into the tool of a cult and retcons the Doctor from his childhood asylum into a cult member. 7 retcons 4, 5 and 6 out of existence. 8 retcons the end of 7 and puts the Myers house back to how it was originally. Zombie remade the whole thing. I forget if his Halloween sequel retconned anything cause I only cared to watch it the one time.

So yeah, this maybe the most any one film has retconned (though you've got to argue that 7 comes close), but some of those retcons are restoring the original ideas from the first.

Fun to think about.

Last edited:

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this and liked the trailer but I'm not sure I quite buy that this retconned Laurie would be obsessed with killing this Michael that only went after her once and isn't her brother.

I buy PTSD and being afraid of him but it seems as if she is preparing for him to come after her again, even after 40 years. Makes sense in H20 but here..idk I'd have to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You know, you can almost argue that most of the films retcon at least *something* from the previous film. H2 retcons the ending of 1 (Loomis freaks out vs not being surprised) and adds the sister thing. 3 tries to reboot the franchise into an anthology one. 4 retcons both the end of 2 and the shift to an anthology. 5 retcons the end of 4 and the Myer's house. 6 retcons Michael into the tool of a cult and retcons the Doctor from his childhood asylum into a cult member. 7 retcons 4, 5 and 6 out of existence. 8 retcons the end of 7 and puts the Myers house back to how it was originally. Zombie remade the whole thing. I forget if his Halloween sequel retconned anything cause I only cared to watch it the one time.

So yeah, this maybe the most any one film has retconned (though you've got to argue that 7 comes close), but some of those retcons are restoring the original ideas from the first.

Fun to think about.

The Halloween timelines are my fav

We got:
1-2-4-5-6
1-2-7-8
9-10
and now:
1-11

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is he bald? I thought it looked like he had hair during the asylum scene.
He is bald? I thought he just had gray hair.

Even The Boogeyman couldn't escape male pattern baldness.

Or does he? DUN DUN!
David Gordon Green said:
I think there was a reason he was called The Shape because in some ways he's more of an essence than he is a traditional character, finding that line between natural and supernatural worlds and this mysterious and as un-verbalized as we can create a character.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, most of the films retcon at least *something* from the previous film. H2 retcons the ending of 1 (Loomis freaks out vs not being surprised) and adds the sister thing. 3 tries to reboot the franchise into an anthology one. 4 retcons both the end of 2 and the shift to an anthology. 5 retcons the end of 4 and the Myer's house. 6 retcons Michael into the tool of a cult and retcons the Doctor from his childhood asylum into a cult member. 7 retcons 4, 5 and 6 out of existence. 8 retcons the end of 7 and puts the Myers house back to how it was originally. Zombie remade the whole thing. I forget if his Halloween sequel retconned anything cause I only cared to watch it the one time.

Fun to think about.

Saying 5, 6 and 8 retconned anything in their immediate predecessor(s) is a stretch. The plot points introduced in them are dealt with, even if unsatisfactorily.

Also, 4 doesn't really retcon 2. Loomis and Michael both have burn marks for a reason. In the script, the film began by showing the blast pushing Loomis away from the explosion.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this and liked the trailer but I'm not sure I quite buy that this retconned Laurie would be obsessed with killing this Michael that only went after her once and isn't her brother.

I buy PTSD and being afraid of him but it seems as if she is preparing for him to come after her again, even after 40 years. Makes sense in H20 but here..idk I'd have to see how it plays out.

He murdered her best friends, terrorized and almost murdered her, and caused her untold psychological trauma. You really don't need the brother-sister hook to find her motivations believable. He royally fucked up her life, and she wants revenge.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
He murdered her best friends, terrorized and almost murdered her, and caused her untold psychological trauma. You really don't need the brother-sister hook to find her motivations believable. He royally fucked up her life, and she wants revenge.
Yes I mentioned buying ptsd but I'm not sure I buy that she is actually preparing for him to specifically come after her again. The brother hook and events of H2 was what sold why she would think he would come after her again 20 years later in H20.

I'll have to see how the movie plays it when you eliminate those hooks and leaves her only as a victim of a single attack.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do he's just an ordinary man?

Pfffft

Maybe it got lost in the shuffle but like I linked up there, that's wrong. The director himself confirmed that he's still just possibly supernatural, as he was in the first film. Look a few posts up.

Anyway a great interview with Christopher Nelson here.
"(There are) a lot of kills!" he stated. "There are certain things that happen to some of the characters that we can't achieve with an actor, so we've created some amazing super life-like dummies for a couple of the victims that are a little accentuated and stylized because again, we wanted all the effects and make-up effects to be something you'll remember. They're all shot so beautifully and dark and moody. We wanted all those things to be stylized and postcard-like because that was the beauty of those movies in the 70s and especially (was with) Halloween. You remember those images. They're images you can't forget, and that's why they've lasted all these years, and we wanted to try and do that. Yeah, so there's blood and slashes and victims and a couple of really hardcore ones that I'm not going to reveal."

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish we lived in some alternate time line where the original vision for the Halloween series came to fruition. Michael is an interesting character...for about 2 movies, max. Wish they would have stayed the course after Season of the Witch.

This looks alright though. Better than the Rob Zombie reboot.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure for a while but that looked pretty solid. Felt very reminiscent of the original in a lot of ways though I can't quite put my finger on why exactly. Jamie Lee Curtis looking bad ass and a little crazy was also great to see. I have to wonder what the timeline is now as it looks like none of the sequels "happened" in this movie.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Saying 5, 6 and 8 retconned anything in their immediate predecessor(s) is a stretch. The plot points introduced in them are dealt with, even if unsatisfactorily.

Also, 4 doesn't really retcon 2. Loomis and Michael both have burn marks for a reason. In the script, the film began by showing the blast pushing Loomis away from the explosion.

NOUN
  1. (in a film, television series, or other fictional work) a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency.

Halloween 2 absolutely shows Michael and Loomis perish. Halloween 4 retcons it into both surviving.

Halloween 5 absolutely retcons the events of the end of Halloween 4, adding in Michael injecting Jamie with something that causes her to have the episode we see at the end of 4, again, something not intended at the end of 4 where the intended idea is that Jamie has gone full Michael.

Halloween 6 absolutely retcons Michael to be acting as a pawn of a strange cult, something never before intended.

Halloween 8 absolutely retcons the end of H20 by changing the events so that Laurie decapitates a paramedic, absolutely not the intention of the original ending of H20.

They're all pretty much text book retcons.

Yes I mentioned buying ptsd but I'm not sure I buy that she is actually preparing for him to specifically come after her again. The brother hook and events of H2 was what sold why she would think he would come after her again 20 years later in H20.

I'll have to see how the movie plays it when you eliminate those hooks and leaves her only as a victim of a single attack.
She isn't planning for that. She's planning to kill him when / if he escapes and comes back to Haddonfield. She's going to be looking for him.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halloween 2 absolutely shows Michael and Loomis perish. Halloween 4 retcons it into both surviving.

Halloween 5 absolutely retcons the events of the end of Halloween 4, adding in Michael injecting Jamie with something that causes her to have the episode we see at the end of 4, again, something not intended at the end of 4 where the intended idea is that Jamie has gone full Michael.

Halloween 6 absolutely retcons Michael to be acting as a pawn of a strange cult, something never before intended.

Halloween 8 absolutely retcons the end of H20 by changing the events so that Laurie decapitates a paramedic, absolutely not the intention of the original ending of H20.

They're all pretty much text book retcons.

I think you could make the same argument for tons of cliffhanger endings. The point of cliffhangers is to make people go, "How the fuck is the story gonna continue now?" or "How the fuck are the characters gonna get out of that situation?" Cliffhangers are written all the time without a full view of what exactly is going to happen, but with the intention that something will happen to move the story forward. I've never seen people talk about retcons when the solution presented does not create a plot hole. I understand it fits your definition, but it's a very loose definition that ignores the reality of writing stories with multiple installments or seasons.

So, especially in the case of Resurrection, what you're calling a retcon was actually already planned when writing the ending to H20. Bob Weinstein wanted Michael to die and Moustapha Akkad did not. Kevin Williamson came up with the twist used in Resurrection so that both parties could agree on the ending.

The only real retcons in this franchise are 7 ignoring 4-6 and this movie ignoring everything but the original. They're asking you to forget things that were true. 4, 5, 6 and 8 aren't asking you to do that.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
do we know how involved? from what I can recall reading all I know is that he read the script and signed off on it. I wonder if he suggested changes and had some level of creative input or whether he just decided signing off on the script was worth the paycheck so he could go smoke weed, play video games and jam out some synth rock with his son.

I wish he'd direct another movie. I like The Ward much more than most people but I still don't love it as a final film.
He supposedly supervised on the script but who knows to what extent he actually cares compared to other sequels. At the very least, he's engaged enough to be scoring the movie himself.