• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 and Gears are massive jumps like truly massive.
The PS4 Pro to X1 are hard to notice a real difference to me.
Not a huge difference between PS4P and XB1X, but that Halo 5 difference... wow.

Pretty much this.

Microsoft are going to be making huge efforts with their first-party games because at this point they have a point to make. Differences between PS4 Pro and XB1X third-party games look barely noticeable at all because third-party is not as invested into this mid-gen refresh. It's how I expected support to be for both of these consoles.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Halo 5's upgrade looks like the most substantial I've seen so far. I really enjoy playing that game's campaign (or did, the one time I did it coop with my brother and a few friends). Not super into Halo lore so the story direction was ... easily ignorable for me.

Has there been any effort to dig deep into what COD WWII seems improved over other platforms on Xbox One X? I can't really tell in OP's vid what the difference is vs the PS4 Pro (which is fine, even if it's matching PS4 Pro, that's a win IMO). I'm itching for Digital Foundry analyses and I'm guessing they're extremely hard at work right now but are restrained by NDA until tomorrow or Tuesday before they can release a lot of it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Differences between PS4 Pro and XB1X third-party games look barely noticeable at all because third-party is not as invested into this mid-gen refresh. It's how I expected support to be for both of these consoles.
Shadow of War has signficant texture quality differences between Pro and Xbox One X.

sow_graphics0mjct.png

As a general rule, PC versions of AAA games are way ahead of their console counterparts. To the point that console versions of games like Dying Light have a draw distance setting that is lower than the PC version's lowest setting. The gist of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X is that they hopefully allow developers to claw their way closer to PC. In theory, the Xbox One X will be closer to the PC version than the PS4 Pro version. It really comes down to the game and where that game's bottlenecks are.

Mod-edit: I hid the meme, this is not relevant to the discussion at hand. For clarity it is behind a hide tag.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited by a moderator:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at those videos, Gears and Halo look considerably crisper. Very noticeable improvement.

----

Shadow of War has signficant texture quality differences between Pro and Xbox One X.

sow_graphics0mjct.png

As a general rule, PC versions of AAA games are way ahead of their console counterparts. To the point that console versions of games like Dying Light have a draw distance setting that is lower than the PC version's lowest setting. The gist of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X is that they hopefully allow developers to claw their way closer to PC. In theory, the Xbox One X will be closer to the PC version than the PS4 Pro version. It really comes down to the game and where that game's bottlenecks are.

I am reminded of this meme. A lot of people were convinced Dying Light looked fine on consoles. Or else they were just pretending.

dyinglightps4vspco0unc.jpg

Do you really need to bring that nonsense in here?

Also, whilst I do think the differences were and are notable, you're doing those posts a disservice by cherry-picking and removing all context. There were multiple comparison images, GIFs and a video for that thread, you don't even know which of the aforementioned those posts were referring to. Instead, you're using a super zoomed in snippet from a specific image as some sort of defacto reference.

Immature and unnecessary post.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you really need to bring that nonsense in here?

Also, whilst I do think the differences were and are notable, you're doing those posts a disservice by cherry-picking and removing all context. There were multiple comparison images, GIFs and a video for that thread, you don't even know which of the aforementioned those posts were referring to. Instead, you're using a super zoomed in snippet from a specific image as some sort of defacto reference.

Immature and unnecessary post.
It's a meme about people being super defensive about the console versions of Dying Light which are still glaringly behind the PC version. (Game has no PS4 Pro support AFAIK, nor is any Xbox One X support planned.) No need to get upset about it, dude. It's not attacking anyone. It's just meant to make you chuckle. Fanboyism, lol.

Why not focus on Shadow of War thing? That was the subject of the post, after all.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...f-war-xbox-one-x-one-version-to-rule-them-all

That said, Dying Light is an interesting game because when it was released, people bitched that it was "poorly optimized" on PC, because some people maxed out the draw distance slider which of course sent the framerate crashing into the floor. Techland eventually caved to pressure and "optimized" the game by recalibrating the slider so that "High" was the old "Medium".

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I personally think we will see devs taking a little more time on the x version of games going forward. I have a feeling that the majority of games will just see res increases this holiday season, but going forward, once the devs have more time and the tools mature we should see higher quality textures and effects. There's absolutely no reason we wouldnt, especially if the dev is making a pc version.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Let's keep this thread on-topic. There is no need for console wars, or discussion about other games that aren't being compared, in here.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
A few people have uploaded 4k 30 dumps of this, but I've yet to see a 4k 60fps. Was that confirmed as a feature of the DVR on the X?

Edit: Perhaps they were using capture cards, maybe DVR function isn't available until launch?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a Warzone Firefight Video. Warzone probably has the worst visual IQ in Halo 5. It's resolution seemed lower. Ground textures were particularly ugly. With this update, it certainly looks better with the added texture filtering. Players at a distance don't look as washed out either. There's no fixing that art style however.

Edit: Warzone as well

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but I don't think you understand what you're talking about. No game, even games with "4K textures" received new textures. What Frankie and I posted is the same thing. It's discussions like this that are making me dislike the whole notion of 4K textures. 343 taking the higher resolution textures before scaling them down for the OG Xbox One is no different than any other studio you think are offering "4K textures". None of them are offering new textures, instead they are all the same texture being rendered in a higher resolution. Otherwise Frankie wouldn't mention original assets or Halo 5 Forge, a game with higher texture resolution than what we see on the OG Xbox One.

This "4K Textures" BS buzzword needs to die, but sadly I think it won't.

Higher than displayed resolution textures have been a thing for well over a decade.

When I first visited Sony San Diego Studios back in 2010 for MLB The Show, their uniform textures were in the "4K range" already (something like 3800x3800) scaled down on the PS3, even back then.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
This "4K Textures" BS buzzword needs to die, but sadly I think it won't.

Higher than displayed resolution textures have been a thing for well over a decade.

When I first visited Sony San Diego Studios back in 2010 for MLB The Show, their uniform textures were in the "4K" range already (something like 3800x3800) scaled down on the PS3 even back then.

I don't mind the term as long as people don't take it literal but I do agree in the end. You're right too that source assets have been created in higher resolutions for a long time now and compressed or scaled down to either fit on disc or fit into memory.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the term as long as people don't take it literal but I do agree in the end. You're right too that source assets have been created in higher resolutions for a long time now and compressed or scaled down to either fit on disc or fit into memory.

I hear you, I just think it's a silly buzzword that didn't start until Microsoft had their unveiling for the X.

We just always called it Low, Medium, High, and Ultra. And it should still be called that, just as it is on the PC.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I hear you, I just think it's a silly buzzword that didn't start until Microsoft had their unveiling for the X.

We just always called it Low, Medium, High, and Ultra. And it should still be called that, just as it is on the PC.

I know MS has used it but it didn't start with them. The term has been used before in PC gaming but I think consoles being more mainstream products has widened the awareness of the term.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Pretty much this.

Microsoft are going to be making huge efforts with their first-party games because at this point they have a point to make. Differences between PS4 Pro and XB1X third-party games look barely noticeable at all because third-party is not as invested into this mid-gen refresh. It's how I expected support to be for both of these consoles.

Shadow of War and ROTTR beg to differ ;)

Many games have already shown double the res over pro. It's not going to be hard to see which looks better

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Are the frame rate and draw distance issues fixed? It was the enemies at even a moderate distance running at 30fps and the pop up that bugged me when I played Halo, not the resolution.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
The comparisons on AC:O, COD, TR for the Pro/1X aren't as staggering as some comments led me to believe when talking about how much better it is. But Halo/Gears looks like a nice upgrade though.

Last edited: