• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently discovering Halo games with the MCC rollout on PC. Setting aside all the awful technical difficulties of the port, I still managed to play Reach in coop in its entirety. Pretty fine game, particularly the last few missions. Liked the space ships parts too. Overall had a fun time.

I'm now going through Halo CE and I know there's a decade between the games and I know it's the first in the series but holy shit it's BAD, like 3/10 level of bad. I've done the first seven missions and I feel like I've played through the exact same corridors from start to finish. I liked "The Halo" mission in the open ended area and the one that's on the beach (might be the same one) but right now I've done two missions back to back (so like, 20% of the game) that were just going through the same corridors with the same look beating up the same enemies for what felt like an eternity. And now they've introduced the Flood enemies and it's even more awful, there's now a shit ton of very small enemies that I have to waste my precious shotgun ammo on.

like bruh I know the good part of Halo is in 2 and 3 according to what people told me but I wasn't expecting to play such a turd. i was legit getting nausea from turning around in the same labyrinthic purple as shit corridors. for those who didn't play the game, imagine spending hours and hours roaming around in places that look all exactly like this:
Halo-CE-Anniversary-screenshot-halo-34030759-1280-720.jpg

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
had a similar opinion. friend told me it works better with a controller, or that its a case of "you needed to be there at the time to appreciate it" kind of thing. still frustrating. i wanted to like it so much.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Halo 1's level design is its big weak point. Very repetitive corridors, open areas can be a bit difficult to navigate. But it's still a blast to play despite that.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I disagree. It's just a fps from early 2000's, times were different. I enjoy it for what it is.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 1 has a few levels that are really good, and then also a bunch of levels that, in a different timeline, would have resulted in Bungie being legally banned from making FPS games ever again

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't fully play through the Halo CE campaign until around 2015 or so, but I remember the online consensus about Halo even in like 2001/2002 always acknowledging that it had a very uneven campaign. The highs are high, but it does!

3/10 is wild though lol

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
I'm currently discovering Halo games with the MCC rollout on PC. Setting aside all the awful technical difficulties of the port, I still managed to play Reach in coop in its entirety. Pretty fine game, particularly the last few missions. Liked the space ships parts too. Overall had a fun time.

I'm now going through Halo CE and I know there's a decade between the games and I know it's the first in the series but holy shit it's BAD, like 3/10 level of bad. I've done the first seven missions and I feel like I've played through the exact same corridors from start to finish. I liked "The Halo" mission in the open ended area and the one that's on the beach (might be the same one) but right now I've done two missions back to back (so like, 20% of the game) that were just going through the same corridors with the same look beating up the same enemies for what felt like an eternity. And now they've introduced the Flood enemies and it's even more awful, there's now a shit ton of very small enemies that I have to waste my precious shotgun ammo on.

like bruh I know the good part of Halo is in 2 and 3 according to what people told me but I wasn't expecting to play such a turd. i was legit getting nausea from turning around in the same labyrinthic purple as shit corridors. for those who didn't play the game, imagine spending hours and hours roaming around in places that look all exactly like this:
Halo-CE-Anniversary-screenshot-halo-34030759-1280-720.jpg
This game is still better than most of the bland garbage fps games out there. It feels good to play and even though you go through a lot of the same areas it still feels better than most modern games. Also... Kids these days.. They have opinions that I disagree with.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's still a pretty solid FPS overall, but people complained about this specific issue since the game came out originally.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I loved it when it first released. My buddies and I would play through the campaign on the hardest difficulty all the time. Maybe it hasn't aged well. The game is what, close to 20 years old?

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
"like bruh I know the good part of Halo is in 2 and 3 according to what people told me"

That really isn't the consensus opinion--a lot of people hold up CE as their favourite, including me.

Honestly, if you hate CE this much, I really doubt you'll find much to like in 2 or 3, either.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is still better than most of the bland garbage fps games out there. It feels good to play and even though you go through a lot of the same areas it still feels better than most modern games. Also... Kids these days.. They have opinions that I disagree with.

no it's fucking not lmao

I didn't fully play through the Halo CE campaign until around 2015 or so, but I remember the online consensus about Halo even in like 2001/2002 always acknowledging that it had a very uneven campaign. The highs are high, but it does!

3/10 is wild though lol

like it's not even that i had big expectations or something, i was just expecting the kickstart to such a huge franchise to not be so unbelievably boring
Reach was a pretty fun game

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
Absolutely agree, I just recently played it as well, it was like there were 2 minds on level design, one is fantastic atmospheric approach, and the other -dominant one- is more of the same corridor over and over again, I was so sick of it.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fine enough FPS, certainly a better work than its sequel with interesting enemy interactions and a defined combat loop that worked well with the health system and rewarded more constant interaction with enemies.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even an aging issue; people pointed out that Halo 1 devolves into the same goddamned rooms being repeated for a while back when the game was brand new

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Terrible opinions are completely legal so it's ok.

I mean, even as someone who doesn't care about story in games, I knew there was an actual narrative reason for why "levels were repeated". The Library is the only genuinely bad level.

The game still plays exquisitely 20 years later.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The best part of Halo is the balance of weapons and enemy AI. The level design itself is ok, with some stand out areas.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
The second half is rough in parts, but the first half of the game, and for what the levels were at the time... only rivaled by H3 in terms of open level design IMO.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
CE Campaign has a lot of rough aspects, and depending on your tolerance for older games (particularly older console games) your mileage will vary massively. Certainly doesn't help that Halo's movement style is very polarising.

It has elements which still hold up today - the setting is inspired, the gunplay is still great albeit a bit clunky compares to modern contemporaries, and AI could go toe-to-toe with most even 20 years later - but yeah, it's dated.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I used to hate Halo 2 and I'd been told legends of how great CE was. Played through Halo CE and the back half in particular was such a slog because of the level design. If you're not going through dozens of copy + paste hallways, you're going back through them.

Playing Halo 2 again and it's far more varied so far. Enjoying it quite a bit.

Deleted member 64804

Banned
Mar 24, 2020
Why are people all of a sudden playing halo ce I feel like I've seen this thread a few times now. Good for you - opinions and all that

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
you need to look at halo through the prism of it creating how console shooters are played. the reason shooters are where they are now and why they're so popular on console is all because of how halo redefined what it meant to play games that way

it's like eating a roast chicken and then eating a raw egg and being like "what why does this taste so much worse everyone said this egg was just as good if not better than the chicken"

Why are people all of a sudden playing halo ce I feel like I've seen this thread a few times now. Good for you - opinions and all that
master chief collection on pc i guess

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
for the time it was freaking amazing. So many things it at least brought to the console mainstream.

-basically popularized the most popular genre, FPS, on console in a big way for the first time. Proving it could be done.

-Graphics. Graphics. Graphics. For it's time, mind blowing on console. The alien Vistas...that you could free roam. Landing on the beach and storming it in that one level, the scale was unheard. Xbox stretched it's big power edge over other consoles here. I still remember how crazy it was you could walk up to a rock texture and it not be a N64 style blur. That wasn't a thing back then.

-The teammate AI. Again it was the first time I'd seen anything like fighting alongside AI teammates. And the enemies fighting each other???? Crazy back then.

The weapin system. Hate it now, but great for the time.

The fact you could basically walk up to any discarded vehicle in the environment and get in. Again, groundbreaking for the time.

That said time moves on. After 5k hours in Destiny it's really hard for me to get used to Halo controls again, and not being able to ADS. Hate them.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 1's level design is its big weak point. Very repetitive corridors, open areas can be a bit difficult to navigate. But it's still a blast to play despite that.

This. I just replayed it through the MCC on Steam, but i was surprised how well it held up despite the constant level/room re-use, mostly on the strength of the art/music and the core combat loop.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to hate Halo 2 and I'd been told legends of how great CE was. Played through Halo CE and the back half in particular was such a slog because of the level design. If you're not going through dozens of copy + paste hallways, you're going back through them.

Playing Halo 2 again and it's far more varied so far. Enjoying it quite a bit.

Barring 1 or 2 Arbiter levels, Halo 2 has a great campaign.

Outskirts and Metropolis are my all favorite Halo levels.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i mean age can't be that much of a factor when half-life 1 is still a very fun game to play nowadays. i'd rather play even goldeneye

even as a kid i would've been pissed off trying to find my way through The Library, who in the world thought that was a good idea

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Jesus, what is it with these fucking bad takes about Halo CE

I swear, some of you act like Bungie killed your dog

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The library especially has always been known as a famously bad level. What you're missing is that in 2001, the open outdoor spaces w/ vehicles felt extremely fresh, the regenerating shield mechanic + choose two main guns mechanic were new, and the addition of dual stick controls + LAN play revolutionized console multiplayer FPS. So a couple bad single player levels didn't have much weight in the overall reception of the game.

Nov 8, 2017
This keeps getting brought up in these threads to excuse it but the late 90's-early 2000's were pretty much the golden age of FPS level design. The bad parts were just as conspiciously awful at the time, and the actually good parts like Silent Cartographer are still just as good.

Halo has many flaws, it's just that a huge percentage of what made it special at the time is now baked into the DNA of modern shooters, so it just seems to be a combination of good music, some ok levels, and then all its flaws. I don't think you can fully appreciate it outside of it's historical context, tbh.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
…yeah I mean… we're almost as far from Halo CE's launch (19 years) as Halo CE was from the original Castle Wolfenstein in 1981 (20 years).

So I don't really think it's fair to think about it in modern terms.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The library especially has always been known as a famously bad level. What you're missing is that in 2001, the open outdoor spaces w/ vehicles felt extremely fresh, the regenerating shield mechanic + choose two main guns mechanic were new, and the addition of dual stick controls + LAN play revolutionized console multiplayer FPS. So a couple bad single player levels didn't have much weight in the overall reception of the game.

i wish the game was more about those outdoor open spaces than exploring purple caves all the time
so it's not just a couple bad levels, it's most of the game that's awful