• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He worked on the Halo Infinite trailer music, so the question is: Will one of his first contracts be for Halo still, despite leaving as in-house composer?

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Kazuma is the man, man. His works in Halo 4 (117, Sacrifice, Mantis) and Halo 5 (Blue Team, Dominion, The Trials, Halo Canticles, Jameson Locke, THE ENTIRE OSIRIS SUITE, SWEET MERCY) were extremely memorable to me in a post-Marty reality. Can't wait to see what he does next and I'm also very curious about where the music of Halo will go next.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
We posting the greatest hits from Kazuma? Scavengers can't be passed on then.

He did some great work on Halo. I'll definitely be watching out for his future projects.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried that even if Marty were to come back, he might be shoehorned into writing huge, bombastic scores instead of some of the classic downtempo jams that made Halo what it is.

To be honest I dont know if he would even work as efficiently as possible with 343's studio culture. Not that I really know anything about anything, but he always seemed more hands-on with a lot more than just composing back in the Bungie days, and seemed especcially collaborative with Joseph Staten.

IIRC some of the things that he did at Bungie were relegated to single-person roles, like Sotaru Tajeen exclusively as the primary audio lead on Halo 4 and 5 .

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
WTF, noooo! The recent Halo Infinite trailer music was incredible, the slow build-up and atmospheric feel reminiscent of some of the earlier music in the series...so good.

Edit: I guess the "last day as an in-house composer at 343" does leave some room that he'll do/finish the soundtrack for Infinite as a freelancer before probably moving on to other things.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He did some good work on the series, hope he's onto solid projects.

This is definitely odd considering the rumors with Marty too.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Loved his work in 5 and the things he collaborated with Neil Davidge on in Halo 4. Excited to see where his music goes next!

For 343i, this sets up a really interesting time. The "coincidental" meeting with Marty a few weeks ago and seemingly a soft reboot of Halo could lead us back to some of the best themes in games.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, he was supremely talented and contributed some of the best tracks to Halo 4's soundtrack. Halo 5 was fantastic across the board under his direction.

Met him randomly in the Seattle airport a few years back heading to Japan. Super genuine and nice dude, wishing him the best.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any other western game franchise where we obsess over the music and lineage of composers? Mick Gordon is the fucking king right now, but not necessarily because of any one franchise. (The opposite is true, his versatility in spite of his signature stylings is what makes him a standout imo)

Maybe Jeremy Soule with the Elder Scrolls?

Halo's music is so scrutinized whenever a new game comes out, and Idk, I just find it interesting. I definitely liked Kazuma a lot, but if we had to back to another composer and couldn't get Marty, I really enjoyed Stephen Rippey's Halo Wars score.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
An amazing composer, hopefully he will continue contributing to Halo even as a freelancer.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Halo's music is so scrutinized whenever a new game comes out, and Idk, I just find it interesting.

I definitely feel like Halo set the bar with iconic music back in 2001 with the original theme. Since then music has been a massive part of Halo's design with incredible soundtracks like 2 and phenomenal pieces like The Trials from Halo 5. That's not to forget ODST and the jazz influence. There is a lot of great music there that steps outside the typical bombastic soundtracks from like a Call of Duty or Battlefield and gives Halo a lot of life.

Oct 27, 2017
As much as his works were considered good, but imo he had never delivered the marty's magic for Halo.

Osts for 4 and 5 were not comparable with trilogy and reach. I'm glad if his departure means Marty is definately back.

I wish him good luck as his works are so good individually

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He did some great tracks, got some in my playlist I listen to all the time. I would only knock him for them not knitting very well during the game and whoever is responsible for the Halo 4 warthog sound!

Good luck on your new adventures. I will be listening to your music for many years ahead.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, thats a loss. 117 is easily one of my favourite Halo songs, top 3. I wonder who they are going to bring in, I hope it's not the composers that worked on HW2. Watching the Infinite trailer and hearing the build up into the Halo 3 music made me excited, knowing it was Kazuma made me excited. Since he is going freelance, maybe he can do one or two tracks for infinite?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Huge loss for the franchise if he's no longer working on it. His work is among the best in the series for sure.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
He did a real good job with 4 and 5's soundtracks. I am sad he is leaving but this announcement does give more credence to Marty hopefully being back.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
MAn he was a gReat composer. iTs my hope 343i finds a waY to get someone that can surpass him.

EDIT: i'm a moran

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I really liked him as both a part of 343i but also as a composer. While 4 and 5 aren't the most positively received Halo games, i do like their soundtracks for the most part. There were some loud and just bombastic themes, but themes like 117 and the theme that plays on Sangheilios in 5 is really good. I wish him best of luck in his upcoming projects :)

So now's the question, who'll be joining 343 as the main composer?

Nov 4, 2017
Going freelance doesn't mean he can't work on Halo. I'm sure he'd take the job if they offer it to him.

Just means he can do other stuff too instead of waiting for years.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I wish him the best.

Hopefully the torched is being passed to another talented composer. We have been spoiled with good Halo soundtracks.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
There were some loud and just bombastic themes, but themes like 117 and the theme that plays on Sangheilios in 5 is really good.
Loud and bombastic has been just as much a part of Halo's audio identity as monks and strings have since the beginning. He definitely did some great work. It's possible he already did a ton of work on Infinite as well.

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
I can understand them. Dedicating all your artistic juice to a single entity, and that entity being a multi million dollar mainstream project about space Marines doesn't sound like the best job in the world. Specially for doing it 7 years.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtracks of Halo 4 and 5 are literally the only things I liked about those games so that's a shame. Though I'm excited to see what he does next.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Seems as though the halo 5 soundtrack has been pulled from both youtube music and google play music. Anybody on Spotify or Apple Music seeing the same?