• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
I doubt the raytracing support will be anything significant. Like maybe some reflections for some stuff but I wouldn't count on it looking radically different. Unless they've straight up said something somewhere, I would assume Raytracing support was decided after development was well under way. Think Battlefield 5 raytracing support here, sorta tacked on.
It's still better than nothing doe but you're right : /

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 99% sure this was the Xbox One X version in 4K.

The pop-in when closing the map I've been referring to in the last pages is bad even for a current gen console:

3:13 in the video:

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Credit to MS for committing to 60fps. But even with 60fps, you would have thought that this would have looked better.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that people are doing the same here by making blanket statements about the asset quality.

People said they didn't like the art style being so busy, but felt the graphics were good. That is overwhelmingly what we saw.

But you look at the rocks even in official screenshots, they look really low quality, with bad quality textures. That official screenshot with the brute? That is ROUGH. Look at his arm. How the texture is blurry and poorly fades into the other. Look at how flat the lighting is, how some of the characters don't seem to fully have shadows. Look how flat and boring a lot of the places are. Just flat, boring floors that look like forge maps. Look at the AR that has like, no texture detail. Having a simple art style doesn't mean you don't have to get low quality assets. The official screenshots don't make the AR look like a real thing. It looks really low quality.

Yeah I don't like the artstyle, but the graphics have serious problems too. Loads of pop in. Weird animations like with the dropship flying weird. The textures being so low res, like seriously are you looking at some of these rocks?

All of the lighting looks flat and off. It doesn't even look like cartoony. It looks out of place and flat.

Art style is obviously part of this, but there are many instances where the graphics quality looks REALLY bad. Again, look at a lot of the low texture quality and lighting issues and lack of shadows. That is bad. Halo 5 didn't have those problems.

But most importantly, I thought the engine trailer looked fine!! Why does this look so much worse than that? Textures had detail. Far off rocks looked really good. There was actually grass that didn't look poorly lit. Nothing from this looks as good as that trailer. You're telling me they couldn't even achieve that on xbox series x?

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
That brute's face just completely captures my feeling on this reveal.
itHJgM0.png

lmao. xD

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Am I crazy or did the announcement trailer look much nicer

Look at that sweet flowing grass and vegetation.

The thing that gets me is how much more vibrant this looks. Even if you want to brush off the textures/models in this reveal, why does it look so much more hazy and muted now?

Crank up the saturation, fam.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like first person Halo Wars....

How/why would they do this after showing us that beautiful review teaser? Just read the last page and it seems to be getting ripped to shreds, i'm just truly shocked and a little sad. I need to go through the rest of the thread now

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Some of the art decisions are not my preference here, it gives the game a lower detailed look. A good example is how opaque the alpha effects are, and lacking detail as well.

Check out this difference between the shields on the elite. The Halo Infinite shield effect is completely opaque; it also looks like it has no small detail reads in the shield effect itself.
shielduojmc.png

Here is the shield effect in Reach on the Elite. It has a varied level of opacity based upon damage type and has this tiling detail all across the shield effect. It also sticks to the outside edge of the model on full frontal views, so you can still see quite a lot. It has a lot of negative space. It just looks... more detailed.
shield24dj2q.png

Green

Oct 27, 2017
You have got to be kidding. This trailer doesn't even come close to destiny. What the hell?

I think it looks better, personally. No joke. I've played a lot of Destiny and nothing in the environments is anything to write home about. There's a reason Bungie use Guardians against a skybox backdrop in most of their promotional screenshots. The worldspaces have never been that impressive with respect to textures, decals, decorators, density, physics, etc.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I am done with Halo. Never thought the day would come. 343i are just not the right developers for the franchise. I hope we get an actual reboot of the franchise sometime in the future with Bungie taking over. They didn't even show off the multiplayer which is concerning. But I am done being disappointed as fuck by 343. Never again.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
I don't accept that 4K 60 fps on hardware this powerful should stop games from also being far more visually rich and detailed at the same time. Stop setting the bar so low and having such low standards.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
And once again, it is proven that graphics are, in fact, everything people care about.

Dunno if you've noticed, but no one's been banging on about the unparalleled visuals we will get from series x more than the xbox team. They didn't do a good job in showcasing their most high profile game, so yeah, people are questioning the graphics.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm underwhelmed graphically, but 60fps and scale can go a long way. Hopefully the world is fun to explore. I'm in no matter what, but the reveal and this trailer didn't get me as excited as I thought I would get.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Some of the art decisions are not my preference here, it gives the game a lower detailed look. A good example is how opaque the alpha effects are, and lacking detail as well.

Check out this difference between the shields on the elite. The Halo Infinite shield effect is completely opaque; it also looks like it has no small detail reads in the shield effect itself.
shielduojmc.png

Here is the shield effect in Reach on the Elite. It has a varied level of opacity based upon damage type and has this tiling detail all across the shield effect. It also sticks to the outside edge of the model on full frontal views, so you can still see quite a lot. It has a lot of negative space. It just looks... more detailed.
shield24dj2q.png

can't wait for Digital Foundry's analysis video.

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 and Doom Eternal look much than this, and both are 4k60 on One X. I doubt that each area in Infinite will be substantially larger than the open world levels in Gears 5.

I haven't played Gears but it's true it looks way better (probably a smaller game in scope though). And as I said, I don't think 343 are masters in tech/graphics anyway. Coalition, Turn 10 et Playground are.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a major Halo fan. I enjoyed the games. I never found them particularly visually stunning. Gameplay was king.

That said, I'll sadly admit that, yeah, it looks decidedly not next-gen. Even compared to what we have currently, it seems lagging already.

Oh well.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that ray tracing is coming as a patch doesn't really inspire confidence that the game is releasing fully cooked.