• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
According to Mint Blitz "saving tags within that program is very finicky" (and that tool is up and running since Bungie era) so , yeah, the "Bonobo" tag used as a default when nothing is put in it (or something's not entered correctly) is a real possibility.

I'm not trying to diminish the seriousness of what's happened at all + 343i could have been even more clear with their response, but it's very probable this was an actual accident and that's all.

Man. I appreciate the work you do in the LG Thread, but this ain't it. You are coming off as defensive of 343. You aren't bringing anything new to the discussion, instead you are seemingly trying to steer it into a direction with little to no basis, and a lot of assumption.

There being a toolset named Bonobo doesn't mean that it names all tags or palettes "bonobo". You are making a leap. It's never happened before, why now?

Joo

May 25, 2018
It was a name for an internal tool which was fixed super fast along with the apologies.
Why we're still talking about this?
This is just embarrassing. Just try to forget it's your favourite gaming franchise or whatever for a moment and let people talk. You don't have to participate. Trying to shut down talks regarding any concerns about racism is just such an asshole thing to do. There can never be enough discussion on raising awareness and condemning racism in all forms.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly a racist internal joke that slipped through, bad look.
That is my thought as well. Like, I have no idea what actually happened, maybe there was just a weird slip-up paired with an awful coincidence. That being said, I think your explanation is a better fit for Occam's razor.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Man. I appreciate the work you do in the LG Thread, but this ain't it. You are coming off as defensive of 343. You aren't bringing anything new to the discussion, instead you are seemingly trying to steer it into a direction with little to no basis, and a lot of assumption.

There being a toolset named Bonobo doesn't mean that it names all tags or palettes "bonobo". You are making a leap. It's never happened before, why now?
Because 343 literally said that + apologized too:

"While the original name refers to an internal toolset, it was not intended to be applied to this content and we recognize the harm it may have caused."

Mint Blitz only gave perspective on what the tool is and works (bad) since Bungie era.

That's not being "defensive of 343" no matter what: they messed up bad (again) in a serious way on an important day, like I said, but I think it should be recognized they fixed it super fast, explained it was a non-intentional accident and apologized publicly.

Only now I'm realizing this is still not enough for many and that's also OK...
I didn't want to add any other frustration on top of this, so I won't discuss it further from now on.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

Mint Blitz only gave perspective on what the tool is and works (bad) since Bungie era.

That's not being "defensive of 343" no matter what: they messed up bad (again) in a serious way on an important day, like I said, but I think it should be recognized they fixed it super fast, explained it was a non-intentional accident and apologized publicly.

I didn't want to add any other frustration on top of this, so I won't discuss it further from now on.

"wasn't intended to be applied" so how was it applied? We have other folks saying bonobo might not even be the toolset infinite uses, and we have nothing saying that it defaults tags or palettes to bonobo. If it does, why is this the first time it's happened?

people aren't satisfied with what little 343 has said about this, and the explanation is nonsense. I'm glad that it's enough for you, but it doesn't add up for a lot of us.

Coffee

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö
I love it when I use Unity and every single asset I create just default to "Unity", new material? Unity! new prefab? Unity! new primitive shape? Unity! This is how all programs do it, obviously, why would anyone think otherwise?

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

I hope you also realize that people are rightfully hung up about it because the explanation makes no fucking sense, which is why people continue to push back on it. I genuinely don't understand how you're not able to see that a) it makes no sense and b) no evidence has been provided whatsoever.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I hope you also realize that people are rightfully hung up about it because the explanation makes no fucking sense, which is why people continue to push back on it. I genuinely don't understand how you're not able to see that a) it makes no sense and b) no evidence has been provided whatsoever.

I get the impression that he's just taking them at their word.

I don't know. If something doesn't sound right, it probably isn't. Awful lot of "coincidences" when it comes to racism.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has worked in creative industries for a decent chunk of my career I would guess that this being an honest mistake is certainly possible.

As a data point I once had to create a whole bunch of placeholder names for coffees (bags of beans) and I mashed together two sets of strings randomly, and one of them turned out moderately racist sounding. I noticed before it was a problem thankfully. 99.9% of the hours you work this doesn't happen, by when you are working 10,000 hours over the course of say, 5 years, weird, improbable occurrences become possible at least once.

And I have totally had tools/apps that spit out the appname as the default filename or export name. I don't know if this applies to this bonobo app, but it doesn't even have to. Someone could have exported a file from the app, and just temporarily named it bonobo because it came from that app (because they don't have a name for it yet), and forwarded it to the next cog (employee) in the chain.

Finally, i'll quote UFC fighter Nick Diaz - "No one know what a gazelle is, this is America."

I think it's less likely, but still possible, that it was actively named bonobo without knowing the definition. I'm not sure I even knew what a bonobo was until my mid-twenties and I believe it was solidified in my mind when I googled the band of the same name. Yes, maybe I'm stupid, but game development is a young industry and not everyone working there is going to be a genius. It's possible they just had a pile/array of cool sounding names that they pull from, and the vowel/consonant combination sounded African to them. Maybe this could be some sort of subconscious racism at most.

Active racism is a possibility, but I think it's so unlikely, and to prove this as being true you would have to get in a time machine and scout out the scene with a miniature invisible drone, and even then you probably won't be able to prove it.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was banned on here for posting "the admins can eat my dick" and i just wanted to say that I didn't write that message. I just happen to have a browser with that name and accidentally clicked on "post reply" in an empty post and it filled in the name of the browser.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
As someone who has worked in creative industries for a decent chunk of my career I would guess that this being an honest mistake is certainly possible.

As a data point I once had to create a whole bunch of placeholder names for coffees (bags of beans) and I mashed together two sets of strings randomly, and one of them turned out moderately racist sounding. I noticed before it was a problem thankfully. 99.9% of the hours you work this doesn't happen, by when you are working 10,000 hours over the course of say, 5 years, weird, improbable occurrences become possible at least once.

And I have totally had tools/apps that spit out the appname as the default filename or export name. I don't know if this applies to this bonobo app, but it doesn't even have to. Someone could have exported a file from the app, and just temporarily named it bonobo because it came from that app (because they don't have a name for it yet), and forwarded it to the next cog (employee) in the chain.

Finally, i'll quote UFC fighter Nick Diaz - "No one know what a gazelle is, this is America."

I think it's less likely, but still possible, that it was actively named bonobo without knowing the definition. I'm not sure I even knew what a bonobo was until my mid-twenties and I believe it was solidified in my mind when I googled the band of the same name. Game development is a young industry. It's possible they just had a pile/array of cool sounding names that they pull from, and the vowel/consonant combination sounded African to them. Maybe this could be some sort of subconscious racism at most.

Active racism is a possibility, but I think it's so unlikely, and to prove this as being true you would have to get in a time machine and scout out the scene with a miniature invisible drone, and even then you probably won't be able to prove it.

Proof for us might be that difficult, yes, but it is very likely that 343 knows who named it that, accidental or not. Change logs and such usually exist, with data on who edited or changed what, like google docs.

I'd put good money on them having a pretty good idea who did it and why.

0xe0x

Banned
Dec 23, 2021

What we know is that the Bonobo tool wasn't even used for Halo Infinite.

Dear god man you're making this worse.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
If the people responsible for this "error" are high up the chain, it would explain why they're sweeping this under the rug. If not, the higher ups protect them.

Either way, it's clear what the philosophy is at 343.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's less likely, but still possible, that it was actively named bonobo without knowing the definition. I'm not sure I even knew what a bonobo was until my mid-twenties and I believe it was solidified in my mind when I googled the band of the same name. Yes, maybe I'm stupid, but game development is a young industry and not everyone working there is going to be a genius. It's possible they just had a pile/array of cool sounding names that they pull from, and the vowel/consonant combination sounded African to them. Maybe this could be some sort of subconscious racism at most.

The icon for the tool is literally a monkey. Every time someone opens the software, they will click on the monkey head.

EDIT: The tool isn't even being used with Infinite. Meaning it's someone who's been there long enough to have worked with Bonobo in the past.

Last edited:

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
If the people responsible for this "error" are high up the chain, it would explain why they're sweeping this under the rug. If not, the higher ups protect them.

Either way, it's clear what the philosophy is at 343.

They are also very fortunate to have their fans doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Can't believe people feel the need to defend something like this >_<

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017

This is a whole lot of explanation/defense/hand-waving for something that is likely racist.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
So wait, the Bonobo tool isn't even used on Infinite?

So has the Bonobo tool AI gone wild and is renaming files in other programs after itself or something?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Bonobo being an old internal tool just sounds like something the dipshit who did this already had in their mind as cover.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, why bother dignifying a difficult question with a decent answer when there's a small army of chumps who will squeal the same lame excuse over and over again until people give up in frustration?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

Infinite didn't use Bonobo and it's weird how many people are tying themselves in knots trying to explain how this wasn't racist and just an innocent mistake.

Feb 16, 2022
The fact that we have numerous people in here(and even more people out there on Twitter) defending and making excuses for 343i is exactly what they hoped for, and why they have been silent about the issue without explaining anything. They know their most ardent fanbase would do their PR job for them. It's disappointing, but unsurprising.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
So many people jumping over themselves to pretend that "the tool did it" is the most likely cause when it's NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE, and only happened this one time that also happens to be to commemorate the emancipation of black Americans.

The most likely cause is a racist employee/employees. Simple as that.

Why is it the most likely cause? Look around. The world is full of fucking empowered racist shit bag cunts. Stop giving them a pass because they make a game you like.

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
I find it incredibly disappointing that so many are jumping to 343's defense without any acknowledgement and seemingly understanding of how this is hurtful for so many people. It is just typical of society that black pain is minimised and swept under the rug.

Oct 30, 2017

May not want to use a wife beater as a support for your lame ass argument.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol the story gets better. I'm very tempted to uninstall the game tbh, not like I've touched it in months anyway but still.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So many people jumping over themselves to pretend that "the tool did it" is the most likely cause when it's NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE, and only happened this one time that also happens to be to commemorate the emancipation of black Americans.

Why is it the most likely cause? Look around. The world is full of fucking empowered racist shit bag cunts. Stop giving them a pass because they make a game you like.
Exactly this, with all the strings we saw with Master Chief Collections release (A game that actually used the tool Bonobo), as well as the multitude of other issues in that, there is no way in hell that this is our first time seeing this issue.

Also, what I'm SUPER curious to see.. What's the non-Latin based language translation look like for that string. Because if it's what they say it is(it isn't) then other languages would also have "Bonobo".

Stoppabl3

May 26, 2022
It's disturbing how quickly Mint Blitz's misinformation spread throughout the internet. Dude has no knowledge on the inner workings of 343, but felt confident providing cover for 343 before all the facts are out.

It's also depressing how quickly people are accepting that terrible excuse. People "should" keep 343 on notice for now on but because people care more about a shooter (that's far past its prime) than racism it's washed away.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's disturbing how quickly Mint Blitz's misinformation spread throughout the internet. Dude has no knowledge on the inner workings of 343, but felt confident providing cover for 343 before all the facts are out.

It's also depressing how quickly people are accepting that terrible excuse. People "should" keep 343 on notice for now on but because people care more about a shooter (that's far past its prime) than racism it's washed away.
Yep shows how people are quick to latch on whatever to try and wave away bad things.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Nowhere in 343's explanation does it say the tool did it or that it was a mistake or unintentional. They only say that the word refers to the toolset. Everything else is conjecture.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
According to Mint Blitz "saving tags within that program is very finicky" (and that tool is up and running since Bungie era) so , yeah, the "Bonobo" tag used as a default when nothing is put in it (or something's not entered correctly) is a real possibility.

I'm not trying to diminish the seriousness of what's happened at all + 343i could have been even more clear with their response, but it's very probable this was an actual accident and that's all.

It's disgusting the level of mental gymnastics you did over a series of post to sit there and try to defend 343 all because of your love for Halo. You threw ever single excuse we've already discussed and you still want to try to get people to believe the bulk of lies just so your precious 343 and Halo don't get talked about anymore.

You brought nothing to the table other than showing your ass that you can just wave away racism if it comes from a company you like. You think an "oops sorry" is enough to make people forget this? Oh why oh why is everyone being so mean to 343? They said sorry, why can't all of us just move on?

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The fact that anyone is trying to excuse this when no one from 343 nor Microsoft has actually explained the situation is pretty telling. Tell me you're racist without telling me you're racist.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
343 just keeps embarrassing themselves and these excuses some of you are throwing around trying to defend this "innocent mistake " is pathetic.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
How many people saw this and didn't notice it? Ignorance is no excuse, if a nameplate has been added for a specific holiday/event, even by accident, and nobody bothered to even stick it in a search engine, where a two-second glimpse would flag up that its grossly inappropriate and the exact opposite of what you're trying to do, then that's utter incompetence at best. I don't get how a player saw it before a member of staff did. It means nobody checks or edits text before it goes out.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Hopefully 343 eventually has a follow up on it because the responses given are not satisfactory. I can only hope they're silent as they conduct a thorough review and mitigation strategy for things like this in the future…

OP
OP
Zebesian-X

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

Fanboys are wild man

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ok so anyone who has ever used any software ever should know their excuse is bullshit, as should anyone who hasn't. On the software front:
  • There's no number or formatting that indicates the text is placeholder text
  • They've never released any single piece of content with this supposed placeholder text in the entire life of the studio
  • The tools we are aware of that they use have different placeholder text including a number (specifically, other tools don't create files with the tool name as placeholder text)
  • That wasn't caught by QA for THE FIRST TIME, apparently
On the "fuck you there's no way this is a coincidence" front: The first time this ever ever ever happened for this studio is
  • on an item with clear pan-African themes
  • released on a new holiday that has people who miss slavery real mad
  • with a somehow coincidental default name that just so happens to be a slur against the group of people who that holiday is "for"
Let me think for just one minute about it.

Anyone making any kind of excuse or believing for a second (long enough to type a post about how "wow gee that is a crazy mistake, bummer for the devs") is either a full blown fucking idiot or a racist. Probably both.
Quoting because it seems suddenly relevant again.

Also:
  • they didn't use the Bonobo tool on this game

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, this is where I am at. I can buy it being a mistake, a file being misnamed, an error in the way scripts name things or whatever - I dunno; I'm not technical at all. But something like this doesn't happen by coincidence to commemorate a celebration like Juneteenth. If it had happened in the middle of April or whenever then I could buy their excuses, but the timing of this is absolutely intentional.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Damn, fuck 343i. If Bonobo isn't used in Halo Infinite, how the hell was this a mistake?

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020

Exactly - we don't need to defend someone just because they work on a game we like or for the platform we primarily play on.

There is really no good excuse that this happened. If it was an accident in naming, it doesn't excuse the management that had to review and sign off on the item.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
What we know is that the Bonobo tool wasn't even used for Halo Infinite.

Dear god man you're making this worse.

The icon for the tool is literally a monkey. Every time someone opens the software, they will click on the monkey head.

EDIT: The tool isn't even being used with Infinite. Meaning it's someone who's been there long enough to have worked with Bonobo in the past.

Infinite didn't use Bonobo and it's weird how many people are tying themselves in knots trying to explain how this wasn't racist and just an innocent mistake.

Quoting because it seems suddenly relevant again.

Also:
  • they didn't use the Bonobo tool on this game
If the Bonobo tool actually wasn't even used for Halo Infinite (can you link a source to that?) so there's no "automatic naming" which slipped through but someone actually wrote that tag down and/or some of the QA team still signed it off for that specific day then, yeah, I retract all my arguments as this would actually be fucked up by some racist employee/s (which I hope 343 already targeted down and fired by now)...

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
"Doesn't surprise me in the least that this finicky tool, built on spaghetti code, that may not have even been used on this game, would somehow decide to name a tag after itself. Totally normal behavior, you see."

So surely you can show where it happened before, right? Or reproduce the process that caused the mistake?

"Uh, no. It worked fine every other time for the games they actually used it on, but it's totally normal behavior in this one specific occasion, for purely coincidental reasons."