• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jschreier gives input from sources

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I ran these bullet points by a few people. While it's true that 343 is focused on multiplayer, the stuff about campaign DLC being scrapped is false (I don't think there was much of that planned in the first place), and a lot of this is either wrong or just speculation.

Deleted member 128704

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2022
Nah fuck the suppressor and I'll tell you why. I distinctly remember when MCC came out I ran through Halo 4's campaign on legendary. And because the promethean weapons eventual became the only weapons available I was down to using the suppressor. I tried killing a knight with a suppressor. All 300+ bullets and that wasn't enough to even kill it. I may as well have been throwing peas at that bitch. And should you actually get the shield down on the knight guess what? It just teleports away and recharges its shields. Great sandbox. I don't think I've touched that gun since.

Huh well that's understandable, but I rather enjoyed using it and it's sound effects were great. To each their own obv. I do find it interesting that both responses I got to my post don't mention the lack of a rail gun in a infinite. No excuse for that whatsoever, there should be a rail gun in the game. GTA Online has a rail gun ffs. Get rid of the skewer and being back the rail gun!

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
I ran these bullet points by a few people. While it's true that 343 is focused on multiplayer, the stuff about campaign DLC being scrapped is false (I don't think there was much of that planned in the first place), and a lot of this is either wrong or just speculation.
Hilarious how easy it is to make up fake negative rumors about Xbox. First the Fable 4chan post last week, now this.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the update.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the clarification. That part of it really did make no sense all things considered.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin

So what was Joe Staten doing for a year? Or is that implying whatever is next for SP is going to be bigger than just DLC?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Jason again doing good work.
And it seems like its time to close this thread then :O

Oct 26, 2017
I thought the campaign DLC thing sounded wrong. Have any more details from your sources?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
guess that means we wait till next gen to see if 343 learned from there mistakes again and can put out a complete game or if they once again go back to the drawing board and scrap everything

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't it told that there would be campaign dlc continuing the story with other areas?
343i never made any comments regarding that, but it was heavily speculated by fans. Especially since some cut footage from trailers matched up with concept art. From the people I know who are more in the know on things, I had heard not much was going on with making future campaigns as they were focused on finishing Infinite post-launch.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

So what the hell was "The Endless"?

Can it be real that Infinite campaign was only ever going to be the prologue we have now?

Who is working on the next campaign, if the campaign team is laid off?

If the rumor this is false, then the situation is WORSE than we could have imagined. There's nothing in the works for a follow up.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
We need some better guidelines on rumor thread making. We have more and more duds on the front page.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
343i never made any comments regarding that, but it was heavily speculated by fans. Especially since some cut footage from trailers matched up with concept art. From the people I know who are more in the know on things, I had heard not much was going on with making future campaigns as they were focused on finishing Infinite post-launch.
Wow that's insane. If there was never anymore campaign planned It's even worst than I imagined. I was really hoping for more.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what was Joe Staten doing for a year? Or is that implying whatever is next for SP is going to be bigger than just DLC?

He was just there to help right the ship and align things enough to release Infinite and move forward, wasn't smooth by any stretch but they got it out the door, added features and his job was done. Back to where he was. I'm kinda glad for him, seriously tough gig.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that there wasn't much of that planned feels worse to me.

Like, it always felt Infinite was built for all of its potential. I loved the campaign and wanted more of it, and the "10 year plan" made me really excited for more story in this world.

Another game built on false hopes and "only" potential.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017

That makes a whole lot more sense to me. Thanks Jason.

My guess is that the layoffs have more to do with 343 deciding to move on from Infinite as a platform and begin pre-prod on a new game altogether instead, meaning there'll be a lag before full production can begin and at a time where MS wanted to make layoffs, the team unfortunately became a target for cuts. Just guessing though, obviously.

The fact that there wasn't much of that planned feels worse to me.

Like, it always felt Infinite was built for all of its potential. I loved the campaign and wanted more of it, and the "10 year plan" made me really excited for more story in this world.

Another game built on false hopes and "only" potential.

A lot of "10 year plan" / platform games get that sort of plan cancelled, particularly when planning to deliver single player content. It may simply be that 343 feels that a brand new game that wipes the slate clean, while still retaining what worked about Infinite and carrying it over might be what's best, both from a marketing standpoint (a new game usually gets more attention than DLC for an existing one) and from a tools standpoint.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Then what did "campaign team got hit hard" really mean in your original report? Were they just supporting the multiplayer?

Oct 26, 2017
He was just there to help right the ship and align things enough to release Infinite and move forward, wasn't smooth by any stretch but they got it out the door, added features and his job was done. Back to where he was. I'm kinda glad for him, seriously tough gig.
I feel bad for the community who were led on by his return. It was always stated he was coming on board to finish things up, but as a lot of fans put it, him coming back was a total pipe dream. I think he was picked intentionally to garner good faith from the community for PR reasons. It worked mostly, especially when they had him delivering the bad news. Kept people calmer.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017

Thank you for bringing this precision Jason. Adding a precision about this as contrary to the title of this thread on ResetERA, the original thread on Twitter never mentioned Campaign DLC being in active development (could definitely be the translation from French to English and it's on us for not making sure that would translate correctly).

Once again, thank you once for having being able to check all of this. 😄

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Just because there apparently wasn't 'much' campaign DLC being made doesn't mean there was no SP being developed at all. Also i'm still pretty confidant that Halo will always still have SP content forever for mainline games going forward.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what the hell was "The Endless"?

Can it be real that Infinite campaign was only ever going to be the prologue we have now?

Who is working on the next campaign, if the campaign team is laid off?

If the rumor this is false, then the situation is WORSE than we could have imagined. There's nothing in the works for a follow up.

I think it's possibly fair to say they do have other biomes or planned to, maps and art show this but whether it was to get the game out and cut their plans back or more campaign was always the option I'm not sure. I think it's pretty clear going by the sandbox, the cinematics, encounters they really had so little in the end either because they didn't have time or never made much more to be cut. Whether they are going to expand now or let someone else do the expansion have to wait and see.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

salacious lies > facts

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that the entire core of the "10-year plan" though? That future Halo FPS campaigns would be released within Infinite? Is that not considered DLC, or did they quietly can that ages ago already and no one realized?

The 10-year plan was most likely never a thing. It was an off the cuff comment made by a lead director who was pretending everything was fine as the environment around him was burning.

Then he left the company before the game even shipped.

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't that the entire core of the "10-year plan" though? That future Halo FPS campaigns would be released within Infinite? Is that not considered DLC, or did they quietly can that ages ago already and no one realized?
The "10-year plan" was put forward by former game director Chris Lee, who stepped down shortly after the E32020 demo and subsequent delay. Since then, 343i has made no references to that plan and have not reassured their commitment to supporting that. The idea would have had Infinite function as a platform and can be assumed that new campaigns would launched through it, but their scope and scale was still to be determined.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Well, I hope we get some clarity over what they are planning in the coming months.

Feel like the more I hear the less sense it makes. Thought they would have been chomping at the bit to use some of the cut campaign content they had from the initial development phase.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019

Never trust Live Services when they tell you they have a "10 year plan".

That was never a thing and honestly shouldn't be anyway. We'll have a whole new Halo game before 10 years.

Oct 26, 2017
salacious lies > facts
I wouldn't say Bathrobe Spartan is "salacious." Other community members with insider connections like LateNightGaming were asserting similar claims. I think there is a lot of confusion right now internally about 343i's plans going forward, and different people are saying different things. However, that was only regarding 343i shifting to more of a publisher role. The campaign DLC being cut (and Joe leaving because of it) is most likely not true.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, the fact that they weren't even working on some story DLC is honestly maybe the worst part of the story.

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
People say 343 had a conspiracy in making Infinite bad.

I would like to posit a simpler theory.

They just forgot they were the developers for the game.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hilarious how easy it is to make up fake negative rumors about Xbox. First the Fable 4chan post last week, now this.

False information about everything spreads like wildfire, and it's difficult to get nearly as much traction with factual information after the fact. This isn't an Xbox phenomenon, it's literally what western civilization is struggling to come to terms with in politics, health, finance, mental health of children, and everything else that matters. Get out of the persecution mindset and you'll realize that this is a very real problem we're all facing.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

That was never a thing and honestly shouldn't be anyway. We'll have a whole new Halo game before 10 years.
I never once believed it would actually pan out that way, I knew there was no chance they would be maintaining Infinite in 2030. But I also thought for sure there'd be some kind of substantial campaign content *in the works* at least, rather than not even planned as Jason seems to think. Like, it would be one thing if I was told they planned it and it all got scrapped between shakeups, layoffs, bug fixes, and rolling out heavily delayed multiplayer features - I'd expect that. But "that never actually even was a thing" is crazy.

Like… the fact that it was potentially coming was like the one thing that kept so many campaign players feeling generally positive about the game!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

But makes much more sense for a GAAS to have a "10 years plan" than starting a new game from scratch. They just added Forge after a year

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

I was going to say, given the news of layoffs basically anyone could have guessed this.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While it's true that 343 is focused on multiplayer, the stuff about campaign DLC being scrapped is false
YEAAA-

(I don't think there was much of that planned in the first place)
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.