• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
That's really concerning. Sounds like they really need someone who can pull this off. Time to poach!

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Could it be the game is simply not coming together as they hoped/planned? Is not often two critical members leave a game when there's so long before completion.

It's entirely possible, especially when it comes to a franchise like Halo, where 343i have shown a tendency to have very little idea what to do or where to go with it, and where they have gone has been largely meh.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
They should delay it. It's more important as a Halo game than as a console launch game. Next year will be a bloodbath of love and hate anyway so it wouldn't be treated fairly.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Lots of folk here seem to be confusing the roles of producers and creative directors.

A producer in a dev studio is usually responsible for organising schedules and ordering the pizzas when crunch time arrives...not to belittle their roles (no game would ship without them having done a decent job) but they aren't usually the creative force behind a project.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Lots of folk here seem to be confusing the roles of producers and creative directors.

A producer in a dev studio is usually responsible for organising schedules and ordering the pizzas when crunch time arrives...not to belittle their roles (no game would ship without them having done a decent job) but they aren't usually the creative force behind a project.
true, but according to the press release given after longo left, Mary Olson was supposed to "take charge of the Campaign team on Halo Infinite", which makes her leaving only 2 months later just odd.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
They should delay it. It's more important as a Halo game than as a console launch game. Next year will be a bloodbath of love and hate anyway so it wouldn't be treated fairly.
Nope there's no way they delay the game unless the console gets delayed. And you best believe they ain't delaying the console launch. There still have enough time for everything to come together.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
No amount of spin is going to present this situation in a better light.

This is not good!

If anything, this just signals a lack of confidence in the product from the higher ups. If you have a game coming along smoothly that has all the potential to be a massive hit both reception and sales-wise, it would make zero sense to leave in the most crucial year of development like this. Stuff coming together and the end being in sight would mean improved morale, not lessened. You'd want to be a part of the team when a game like this launches. These back-to-back departures kinda show me that they aren't willing to stick around for launch, which is certainly worrying.

We'll see. It might be just a freak coincidence, but it could also mean core development trouble.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
true, but according to the press release given after longo left, Mary Olson was supposed to "take charge of the Campaign team on Halo Infinite", which makes her leaving only 2 months later just odd.
Maybe she felt out of her depth or was just poached by the new, local studio... not unheard of.
Her previous roles leaned heavily on the audio side of things so I'm doubtful she would have had too much say on any fundamental design/gameplay choices, that's just a hunch on my part though.

Dec 12, 2017
Charlotte, NC
If anything, this just signals a lack of confidence in the product from the higher ups. If you have a game coming along smoothly that has all the potential to be a massive hit both reception and sales-wise, it would make zero sense to leave in the most crucial year of development like this. Stuff coming together and the end being in sight would mean improved morale, not lessened. You'd want to be a part of the team when a game like this launches. These back-to-back departures kinda show me that they aren't willing to stick around for launch, which is certainly worrying.

We'll see. It might be just a freak coincidence, but it could also mean core development trouble.
Well said, I agree!

Let's be real, we still have no idea what this game even is. If there was some solid looking gameplay footage out in the wild to give the fans some confidence, this would be an entirely different conversation.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Nope there's no way they delay the game unless the console gets delayed. And you best believe they ain't delaying the console launch.

Yep. This is the problem of launch titles - you do not really have the option of delaying your big launch title.

So either MS release Scarlett without their tentpole title, or they delay the new console giving Sony a big advantage. Neither of those are going to happen. Infinite is coming out in holiday 2020 hell or high-water.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe she felt out of her depth or was just poached by the new, local studio... not unheard of.
Her previous roles leaned heavily on the audio side of things so I'm doubtful she would have had too much say on any fundamental design/gameplay choices, that's just a hunch on my part though.
This comment is logical and makes sense.

This is just grasping at straws at best, knowing absolutely nothing about what is happening at 343. Not sure the "concern" is warranted.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

I may be wrong but don't Producers work hand in hand with the design and creative teams? I'm guessing a studio as big as 343i with over 520+ devs and over 25 new job roles ( last week) won't have any issues filling these roles quickly (internally or outsourcing) as they would already have a number of producers and directors working on the project from the beginning.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Well said, I agree!

Let's be real, we still have no idea what this game even is. If there was some solid looking gameplay footage out in the wild to give the fans some confidence, this would be an entirely different conversation.
XO19 is coming next month. Maybe you'll be singing a different tune.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nope there's no way they delay the game unless the console gets delayed. And you best believe they ain't delaying the console launch. There still have enough time for everything to come together.
I really don't see how it can be more important than the console itself. The console is assumed to arrive late 2020 and it's not like Halo gamers will ignore the next Xbox and buy a PS5 instead if Halo is delayed 3 months.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
While i think the departure of these two people does indicate certain project leads being unsatisfied with the direction of the project and possibly even development being in a precarious state, i feel like it doesnt really neccisarily matter to the outcome of the project being good or not.

Uncharted 4 went through FAR more of a huge shift in development and still ended up being a good game, despite me not personally gelling with uncharted(i think that has more to do with me not liking uncharted in general though).

Of course, there is something to be said for the argument that the people who replaced amy henning were as capable, or more capable than she as creative leads whereas we have no real knowledge of the development team of Halo infinite. but at the same time, i still think the UC4 comparison applies.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I really don't see how it can be more important than the console itself. The console is assumed to arrive late 2020 and it's not like Halo gamers will ignore the next Xbox and buy a PS5 instead if Halo is delayed 3 months.

It's launching against a competing platform. If there was no competition and any consumer was going to buy a Scarlett console eventually sure, no problem. That isn't the world we live in though. People picking between a PS5 and Scarlett will pick PS5 if it has better games.

Coming out of the gate with strong exclusives is very important for MS, especially after this generation.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it might seem negative, but you can't jump to strong conclusions. We'll know for sure once the game is revealed and people get hands on with it. We see more info and what not, then we'll know

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. This is the problem of launch titles - you do not really have the option of delaying your big launch title.

So either MS release Scarlett without their tentpole title, or they delay the new console giving Sony a big advantage. Neither of those are going to happen. Infinite is coming out in holiday 2020 hell or high-water.

To be fair, Halo hasn't been a launch title since Combat Evolved, so it wouldn't exactly be unusual.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This is just grasping at straws at best, knowing absolutely nothing about what is happening at 343. Not sure the "concern" is warranted.

If you're promoted to campaign lead of a game in a huge franchise, where you're confident in that it will blow minds and have an amazing reception, what exactly is the incentive for leaving? Wouldn't you want that milestone on your resumé?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If you're promoted to campaign lead of a game in a huge franchise, where you're confident in that it will blow minds and have an amazing reception, what exactly is the incentive for leaving? Wouldn't you want that milestone on your resumé?

I don't think leaving the studio 85-90% through production for what could be a better opportunity is going to ruin anyone's resume. And assuming that the leads of this game are concerned about how good it is feels more like wishful thinking than any reality.

2 devs have left out of more than 500. That's like 0.2% of the entire studio. I'm not sure 0.2% of the studio leaving means the entire team is worried about the game.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I may be wrong but don't Producers work hand in hand with the design and creative teams? I'm guessing a studio as big as 343i with over 520+ devs and over 25 new job roles ( last week) won't have any issues filling these roles quickly (internally or outsourcing) as they would already have a number of producers and directors working on the project from the beginning.
Yes they do, but in my experience working in game development studios, producers have more of a "shepherding" role, making sure milestones are hit, scheduling tasks and making sure the artists, designers etc have what they need to fulfill their tasks. I've never worked with a producer who has had a major impact on design or gameplay. Other studios may do things differently though.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Producers main focus: schedules and pizza.

What am i reading
the title update is misleading, the point isnt that a producer left, the PR that released alongside the director leaving said that this producer would now lead the campaign, but she has left 2 months after.

EDIT: i misread your post and didnt realize it was in response to someone else lol.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the rest of the team still working on it are alright and are not under any strain/crunch to push this title out whatever the cost.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
The power of compelling software should never be underestimated. Obviously unlike Nintendo Sony/Microsoft have the luxury of 3rd Party support. However the power of exclusive content to Microsoft's platform could be the difference to the platform selling after the initial launch period. Also could sway fence sitters to buy into the ecosystem and not the opposition. But that's just my opinion.

Obviously Halo Infinite is the only title we're currently aware of that's launching with the new consoles. So if they don't launch with it there's is potentially that from a software perspective there would be nothing to differentiate it from the competition. That would definitely not be ideal. In theory that would be advantage Sony. However we really don't know what Sony is releasing software wise at launch. There still a year out, an potential issues can still be rectified.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
sorry for the bump, but it seems like the Mary Olson, the one that according to MS's press release was supposed to take charge of the campaign after Longo has now also left 343, only 2 months after.

Damn.

MS must be demanding the impossible them to drop out like that.
Too much pressure having to deliver a BotW type system seller that looks and performs great on like 3 plattforms and offers great single player and multiplayer content.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
While i think the departure of these two people does indicate certain project leads being unsatisfied with the direction of the project and possibly even development being in a precarious state, i feel like it doesnt really neccisarily matter to the outcome of the project being good or not.

Uncharted 4 went through FAR more of a huge shift in development and still ended up being a good game, despite me not personally gelling with uncharted(i think that has more to do with me not liking uncharted in general though).

Of course, there is something to be said for the argument that the people who replaced amy henning were as capable, or more capable than she as creative leads whereas we have no real knowledge of the development team of Halo infinite. but at the same time, i still think the UC4 comparison applies.
sure it applies but I may be forgetting some details of that story now cos for some reason, I always thought Amy left just before UC4 shipped? i.e after her work on the project was done? I thought herself and Bruce stayed back just until the end of the project?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
sure it applies but I may be forgetting some details of that story now cos for some reason, I always thought Amy left just before UC4 shipped? i.e after her work on the project was done? I thought herself and Bruce stayed back just until the end of the project?
She left 5th March 2014, and the game released 10th May 2016 :p Also, it's well documented as a terrible time to have been working at the studio with how much work they had to do to retool it (covered in Blood, Sweat, and Pixels).

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
sorry for the bump, but it seems like the Mary Olson, the one that according to MS's press release was supposed to take charge of the campaign after Longo has now also left 343, only 2 months after.

4c4a56393ea854415ab4c486f4023d0a.png

What's going on there

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
In regards to Uncharted 4 Amy and the co-director (I forget his name) left/fired around a year into the game's production. At least 9 months of progress had to be retooled in a hurried pace when Straley and Druckmann took the reigns. I remember it being described as a "Three year project done in two years".

Hopefully 343 aren't in that dire a situation and are able to release a high quality launch game for Scarlett, but having high level turnover so quickly and a year out is not good.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully whatever detriment this causes doesn't bleed into the final product, I fucking love Halo.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
about the uncharted 4 examples, need to remember that the game got a pretty big delay because of that, which halo cant get due to MS already commiting for a launch title.

Jan 20, 2019
In regards to Uncharted 4 Amy and the co-director (I forget his name) left/fired around a year into the game's production. At least 9 months of progress had to be retooled in a hurried pace when Straley and Druckmann took the reigns. I remember it being described as a "Three year project done in two years".

Hopefully 343 aren't in that dire a situation and are able to release a high quality launch game for Scarlett, but having high level turnover so quickly and a year out is not good.

She got fire and that also led to Straley leaving the AAA industry because of that

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
After how poor Gears 5 was, this news coupled with Halo supposedly being similar in structure, I really don't have high hopes for this game.