• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Her new job, Midwinter Entertainment also worked on Halo 5 and Halo 4. Wonder if they are also working on Halo 6? There new game ' Scavengers'' looks pretty good, but needs to improve on the graphics.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
It's safe to say there have been creative differences, some serious, throughout this project. I'm not not going to comment on any individual decisions anyone has made. But the game has been developed during a big period of change for Xbox as a whole, and when dealing with such a beloved property as Halo (including by myself) there will naturally be tension around how far to deviate from established formula, for example.

There is absolutely no reason to jump to that conclusion.

Thanks man, much appreciated!
My only hope is that infinite campaign will bring back the Halo magic and feeling found in the past games. That's my only hope.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Get you now, sorry :)

No worries.

Her new job, Midwinter Entertainment also worked on Halo 5 and Halo 4. Wonder if they are also working on Halo 6? There new game ' Scavengers'' looks pretty good, but needs to improve on the graphics.

I think you misread something. A couple people at Midwinter were previously at 343i, like Josh Holmes. He left 343i in 2016 and founded Midwinter.

Midwinter, the company, didn't actually work on Halo 4 nor 5.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Game has another about another year to come out right? They'll be fine. And maybe the next creative lead could do a better job.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Of course there will be some creative differences on any large project with history and there will be people who make career decisions that they see as best for them in a very large organization.

I talked to Frank O'Connor (a.k.a. Stinkles) at Halo Outpost at the end of July. I have every confidence that Halo Infinite will be amazing. I told him that the two pinnacle gaming moments for me were playing Super Mario 64 on a Nintendo 64 for the first time and then playing the first Halo on the original Xbox, as both were times where I was basically amazed at what video games can be. I asked him if Halo Infinite could give me that type of feeling. He said that obviously he can't promise how I will feel, but that the team's vision is the "spiritual reboot" of the series that has been mentioned publicly. He said that they want you to feel like you did again when starting the second campaign level on the original Halo after crashing in the Bumblebee and emerging into the open world for the first time, and he also mentioned the 1999 Macworld Halo prototype demo where people were asking whether it was real that you would be able to do all of the things such as driving a Warthog in a big open world.

Oh, and that vision of the spiritual reboot is being led by Chris Lee who is the overall creative lead for Halo Infinite.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm not trolling.

I'm just thinking this either means it's going to be delayed , rushed or potentially episodic.

I'm just hoping it doesn't mean the release will be sub par
Episodic in the way a Destiny has seasons, I have no doubt. I think it'll ship with a complete campaign but that there will be ongoing content throughout. They intend Halo to be a lengthy "platform" that keeps on giving and has users keep subscribing.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Isn't that how hype is built? As a Halo fan since CE, I could easily tell from the very first tech demo/trailer what the team was aiming for with the new art style also follow up interviews with the developers/ updates from 343i official developer blog confirmed what many Halo fans have been asking for, a return to form, going back to the things which made Halo games great. The art style and MCs suit design are all classic Halo and according to 343i that isn't where the similarities stop. They will be taking some lessons from the campaign missions in CE too.
I have nothing negative to say about those two trailers. I'm quite intrigued by what they teased. Just saying I also haven't seen enough to say I know this is a project that is going to turn out great. The departure of these leads on the project is a worrying sign IMO.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Both games have good to great Metacritic scores. The rest seems ... You know, your opinion (a bad one even, especially when talking about Halo 5 multiplayer, but then again, this is just my opinion).
Maybe take a step back and realize you're actually using metacritic as an argument for a games quality. We aren't on GameFAQs.
People disliking Halo 5 isn't some niche opinion.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
This along with the drop in glassdoor ratings makes me think I did the right thing in choosing not to apply to work on Infinite. Which is to bad, I'd love to work on a game in an official capacity, but I'm not quite ready to move across the country just yet.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
To whom it may concern:
I'm concerned that people don't understand just how concerned I am concerning this matter

I'm sure it will be fine

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda get what Matt are saying. There's a lot of examples of games being quite chaotic in development, but managing to find some momentum in the last year / 5 months of development and came out with something great.

Not the best way in the long run of course, but then again that depends if they depend on those moments of magic or make some serious changes to ensure it happens less or never again.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I'm only semi-joking when I say I wish 343 could pull Rod Ferguson down to the studio for the next year and have him shepard this baby across the finish line like he did for Bioshock Infinite.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I'm only semi-joking when I say I wish 343 could pull Rod Ferguson down to the studio for the next year and have him shepard this baby across the finish line like he did for Bioshock Infinite.

After what he's done to Gears? NO THANKS.

Guy is talented, but all the bullshit they infused into that last 2 gears, specifically gears 5 has literally alienated all my friends who love gears. It just doesn't feel like gears anymore. it's trying to hard to be a little more broader.

And in doing so loses some of it's identity.

Like I can't believe after all the hype it still is below a 90 meta , and the pc version is a 82? SO OBVIOUSLY not everything they have done to put gears in a better place has worked.

That and the huge player drop off is not something that's encouraging.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
The person who just left 343 for the new job under Josh Holmes could have jumped ship because she wanted a new opportunity and felt that this was the perfect time to chase it. Or Halo could be doomed.
So, she accepted a very important leadership position with an added note that she will be leaving soon? Ehhhh....

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Guy is talented, but all the bullshit they infused into that last 2 gears, specifically gears 5 has literally alienated all my friends who love gears. It just doesn't feel like gears anymore. it's trying to hard to be a little more broader.

Like I can't believe after all the hype it still is below a 90 meta , and the pc version is a 82? SO OBVIOUSLY not everything they have done to put gears in a better place has worked.

I get that, but I totally think Gears 5 open world-ish concept would fit Halo like a glove.

It's really weirding me out to not see Gears 5 on Steam's peak game count list though. How is it trending on Windows store/Xbox?

Deleted member 19213

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This stuff is concerning, but I don't want to say this will be a bad game. Hopefully it still turns out to be good. As someone else said, the campaign can't be worse than 5. 5 had fantastic gameplay and mp, but the campaign was just... uninspired and kinda bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean all we can do and should do is hope it turns out well regardless of these bid differences within the team. Honestly, I wish people could just work through differences rather than quit. You're talented enough to be given such an important position, I'd like to think you would be visionary enough to be able to flex as needed, as any leader must.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean all we can do and should do is hope it turns out well regardless of these bid differences within the team. Honestly, I wish people could just work through differences rather than quit. You're talented enough to be given such an important position, I'd like to think you would be visionary enough to be able to flex as needed, as any leader must.
You dont know why people leave. It can be personal also.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you even know what you're arguing anymore...
Nobody is saying "the storytelling was trash but gameplay is great which means it's da best game evaaaa"

No but the other extreme being argued is that Halo 4 and 5 are bad games like Superman 64.

I'd argue both Halo 4 and 5 are better games overall than say every Call of Duty and Destiny 1 & 2.

Heck, Halo 4 and 5 are better than Halo 3 in the gunplay department atleast.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin

See I enjoyed Gears 5 more than almost any game I've played this year. The story was wonderful, my only issue being the abrupt ending (which, in retrospect, would fit Halo well lol).

The player drop-off and all that happens nowadays. I'm not super concerned about it, and Microsoft and The Coalition don't seem to be panicking either.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's okay they just ordered the pizza anyways

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is quite the gap between a "good game" and "da best game evaaaa", but go on :)
lmao I'm illustrating a point using exaggeration.
If you still can't tell, it doesn't matter how good the gameplay is, if the storytelling is bad, then the game is simply bad. Halo is not a one trick, double-A pony. Halo has a rich universe and if you can't do those characters and world justice, then your product is subpar. There's countless examples of this everywhere, the Batman films post-Nolan, The Bourne Legacy, the new Star Wars trilogy... etc. Media that fails to meet the expectations that their predecessors put forth, the boundaries they pushed and standards they set.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
No but the other extreme being argued is that Halo 4 and 5 are bad games like Superman 64.

I'd argue both Halo 4 and 5 are better games overall than say every Call of Duty and Destiny 1 & 2.

Heck, Halo 4 and 5 are better than Halo 3 in the gunplay department atleast.
I'll give you Destiny 1 &2 on the caveat we are ONLY talking about Crucible, because the base gameplay loop and gunplay in Destiny is WAY better than Halo 4's. And Halo 4 MP better than the MW trilogy and the first two Blops games?
giphy.gif

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Couldn't this just mean the campaign is pretty much wrapping up and being done so he's moving on to something else?

That would be extraordinarily rare. Most games are still in extremely rough form this far out, with technology finally settling to the point where real production work goes into high gear. The story, voice acting, and motion capture can be complete early but turning the raw material into a playable campaign requires a lot of other parts to settle first.

Trying to guess what departures mean is pretty pointless. It could be bad news, or it could be exactly what the project needs to come together and move in a healthier direction. I can only hope that they're focused first and foremost on making a great game rather than hitting an arbitrary date. If the team doesn't feel they can deliver what fans are waiting for on the current timeline, they should have the freedom to delay. Microsoft doesn't exactly have a stellar track record on making that call, but hopefully they've learned their lesson.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Halo Infinite could turn out to be a great game. It doesn't mean there aren't leadership issues at 343. There is negativity from people leaving starting with the not so subtle hints from Josh Holmes when he left and did an interview talking about what a mess Halo 4 and 5 developments were. You have the Glass Door ratings. Now people making lateral moves to leave Halo Infinite in the final year of development. Sorry no way to cover that up. If it doesn't show in the final product in 2020, it will catch up to the studio long run. You can't have this much smoke without a fire somewhere.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Considering 343 is 0/2 on Halo games *in my opinion*. None of this paints a bright picture. But, we still gonna wait and see what the final product is.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Big true. Reach may have been a decent game, but it was a bad Halo game. Although it was more Halo than 4 and 5 have been, that's for sure.
I love the og trilogy and I want them to go back to that style obviously but I was very surprised at how much I liked Halo 5 mp (pre-patch). It's not perfect but I thought it was more Halo than Reach and 4, which I know are very low bars.

I still have hope that they will strip the extra mobility and bring back normal scope and there's no better time to do that than with Infinite.