• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Really, I'd consider Halo 4 selling 9 million units as of 2015 a huge success in comparison to other Halos in the series. Last we heard, 5 was on par with others. Elaborate a little on your opinion on 0/2 because in my opinion, I consider them successful entries.
Sales have nothing to do with my point. Neither halo 4 or halo 5 are good halo games. Halo 4 as a whole and halo 5's campaign was just...very bad. Not even the good multiplayer saves it.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Sales have nothing to do with my point. Neither halo 4 or halo 5 are good halo games. Halo 4 as a whole and halo 5's campaign was just...very bad. Not even the good multiplayer saves it.
Our opinions differs and that's alright. I really like both a lot so I consider them a success along with counting units moved too. We can't down play 10 million units. That's quite a lot of software.

The one thing I didn't like about 5's campaign was fighting that commander dude over and over. The open area fights were awesome. But again that's my opinion.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
That reply from 343 still doesn't address creative director leaving because of creative differences?

He still left with a year left, so who is taking lead role for creative director? Which is a super vital role.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Reading that Glassdoor (ex-)employee reviews didn't really help to calm my nerves... just some of the things said...
- Lots of people have left the studio after H5
- tools are very bad, things take a lot of time to get done compared to other devs
- XGS higher ups make decicions about the game instead of the dev
- there is lots of talk about very talented people but bad management

I would love to hear something about the tech side and how engine development is going because that's the thing people don't consider... it's not 5 full years, they're building a completely new engine

I''ve never been both so nervous and excited for a game... the wait is killing me

The whole purpose of a new engine was to make better tools so development would be easier and to have the tools to make new DLC at a more efficient rate. So yes, tools were bad. Now? Probably not.

343i has also commented Halo 5 had a lot of crunch and they've tried to make Halo Infinite free of crunch. Employees probably weren't happy about the H5 crunch. Management might be a issue, idk anything about it tho.

As for 5 years of development, I'm sure artist, writers, MP map designers, etc etc weren't sitting around. Lots of story boarding was probably going on, among other things

I refuse to until it hits PC. I'm sure the console version is better now, but the fact that it was so broken for a year? Won't play out of principal.
I'm not trying to "show" anything to anyone. I mean I said i'll play the game, just on PC...That's like the opposite of payback.

I'm just not going to waste time on a broken product.

Halo fans have every right to feel annoyed/mad at MCC. It was broken for awhile. And no doubt, some of that blame falls to 343. But some of that falls to Microsoft.

No video game developer wants to release a bad game. It takes years and years to build a game. I don't think they want to release a broken product, have fans upset, etc.

The fact is Microsoft and the Xbox division has seen a huge shake up since the launch of the Xbox One.

MCC didn't get a good launch, 343 tried to fix it up but pretty soon they had to move on because of budget reasons.

With the launch of the Xbox One X, and the various shake ups at Microsoft, the Xbox division receives more funding. And 343 was able to go back and fix the game, and improve it further.

They added ODST, are in the process of adding Halo Reach, importing the maps from Halo 3/Reach file shares into MCX, rotating playlist, added mixtape match making, custom installs, etc. And to top it all off they've been very transparent the past year about MCC further improvements and development.

I'm not saying you (or anyone else) should forgive 343 or MS, because like I said earlier, they delivered a broken project and it was the right thing to fix it.

But just FYI, MCC is fixed, it's a wonderful game now, and it's only getting better. If you're in the mood for some Halo 1/2/3, definitely pick it up. You'll have a great time.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Quote I saw on Reddit from a 343 developer. We should probably threadmark it.

Hey all – I wanted to jump in and clarify what Tim & Mary's roles were at the studio, because there seems to be quite a bit of confusion here. Before that happens though, I'd like to reassure everyone that the entire Halo Infinite team is rallying behind the game and is working hard to make sure we can execute on its vision.

Tim's role as Creative Director was to help make creative decisions around the design and direction of the game – whether it was campaign, multiplayer, etc. Mary's role as an Executive Producer and then Lead Producer on Campaign was to help drive the game to its completion for our holiday 2020 release date – with the latter specifically focusing on campaign deliverables.

Unfortunately the thread's title saying, "He was replace with Mary Olson and she also left," is far from accurate. It implies that Mary took over creative control of the entire game, didn't like what she saw, and then decided to leave. If that's what actually happened, I could totally understand getting worried – but that isn't the case, as she was a Lead Producer and not a new Creative Director.

Producers at our studio support designers, engineers, artists, etc. by helping each of them track and hit deliverables. They also ensure the people they support are not overwhelmed with too much work and have all the tools and information needed to hit their deadlines. To put it simply, producers are the ones tasked with making sure the studio is always moving forward – even our Community Team has a producer to ensure we're tracking our deliverables; blogs, social media posts, flighting emails, and whatever pops up in between.

Since Tim and Mary were friends of mine, I'm sad that I don't get to see them as often, but I'm happy to see both of them doing well. Mary joining Josh Holmes at Midwinter is nothing short of exciting news for me, because I'm eager to give Scavengers another go soon (I played it at E3 and thoroughly enjoyed it). And, funny enough, I actually just bumped into Tim the other night at the theater for opening night of the Joker :)

TL;DR: Title is super misleading, there is no creative dilemma inside the studio, and there's no writing on the walls.

Apologies for the long writeup, but I hope it helps clarify!

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
God I cannot wait to see the full reveal on this game. They're keeping their cards so close to the chest here, and we keep hearing about key departures, yet I can't help but feel excitement and hope for a great return to form for Halo.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I am actually concerned for the campaign. Strongly disliked Halo 4's story AND level design and really hated Halo 5's story.

The core gameplay itself in Halo Infinite I'm sure will be great and any additions/removals 343 utilizes will be to the series benefit, especially on the multiplayer side. But am honestly pretty pessimistic regarding the campaign.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Our opinions differs and that's alright. I really like both a lot so I consider them a success along with counting units moved too. We can't down play 10 million units. That's quite a lot of software.

The one thing I didn't like about 5's campaign was fighting that commander dude over and over. The open area fights were awesome. But again that's my opinion.
I get why you're including sales, but they're irrelevant to the point. Call of Duty: Ghost was the 2nd highest selling game of 2013 but it is widely regarded as one of the worst call of duty games ever.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In regards to Uncharted 4 Amy and the co-director (I forget his name) left/fired around a year into the game's production. At least 9 months of progress had to be retooled in a hurried pace when Straley and Druckmann took the reigns. I remember it being described as a "Three year project done in two years".

Hopefully 343 aren't in that dire a situation and are able to release a high quality launch game for Scarlett, but having high level turnover so quickly and a year out is not good.

I think if 343 had a track record like ND people wouldn't be worried as much. So I think the UC4 example is not a good one.

If Infinite doesn't blow away expectations, not only will it damage the franchise to a pointof no return, it will probably put Xbox at last place again.