• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Reach was by far the worst Halo game. It's not even a competition. Everything was bad in Reach.

4 and 5 weren't great, but at least they mailed the core gameplay loop that makes Halo so enjoyable. Reach couldn't even do that.
I prefer reach multi to 4. I also have a soft spot for the reach campaign

Oct 27, 2017

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow third straight 343 Halo game where is sounds like they are rebooting the game towards the end of development again. My hype is now deflated

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Microsoft is doomed! Confirmed!

(did I do hyperbole right?)

And this:

Copied from the duplicate thread:

It's not a safe assumption that it's a sign of issues. Turnover happens every single week at large companies. Admittedly it's less common with Directors, but even so the change could be for any number of reasons.

While it's neat to appreciate the individuals working on games, I wouldn't be able to draw anything meaningful from this information.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or the fact that they know he posts here alot and probaby asked him not comment on it. He doesn't owe us any answers.

I know he doesn't owe us any answers. I was just pointing out that there really isn't any good response for him just because of how the internet works. Damned if you do and damned if you don't situation so we shouldn't expect anything.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If this were a new game series or something or a different studio, this might be cause for concern.. but it's fucking 343, literally everyone there lives and breaths Halo. The janitor could pick up the mantle and run it ffs. Chris Lee is good hands as far as I'm concerned.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely something bad happening behind the scenes if they need to change director this late however this could turn out great for them (crunches, if there is, aside)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I would bet a lot of money that you are bang on with that assessment.

Transparent is a word that is not used enough on this forum
one thing you can definitely count on is people creating countless paper tigers and operating with endless hyperbole.

Framing a relaxed conversation about the potential implications of this story as "hysteria" and that people finding the news potentially interesting as "transparent", for example.

Microsoft is doomed! Confirmed!

(did I do hyperbole right?)
like this.

who is this poster even talking to? lol

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
one thing you can definitely count on is people creating countless paper tigers and operating with endless hyperbole.

Framing a relaxed conversation about the potential implications of this story as "hysteria" and that people finding the news potentially interesting as "transparent", for example.

like this.

It really isn't hard to find these posts. "doa", "I'm out", "typical 343" etc.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I wonder if it will still launch with the system. I haven't been a fan of the last two Halo games so to me this could be a great thing.

Oct 25, 2017
i can understand being worried for the game, especially for those who didn't enjoy 343's output but holy shit at some of the reaches in this thread lmao

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I have big expectations with Infinite because I was so let down but halo 4 and 5. From someone who grew up without CE/Halo2/3/reach, I want to be excited about Halo again. MCC is all I play now.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense. Best campaign of the series.

Butchered the story from the book.

Noble team dies transporting Cortana because she's retconned into being 'the key' to winning the war, despite doing nothing of the sort in the following games.

Master Chief sleeps throughout one of the most pivotal parts of the saga when he should've been active.

The very end last stand part is alright though.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

Noble team dies transporting Cortana because she's retconned into being 'the key' to winning the war, despite doing nothing of the sort in the following games.

Master Chief sleeps throughout one of the most pivotal parts of the saga when he should've been active.

Well, I don't know about nothing. She stops Chief from firing Halo in CE and is the reason humanity finds out what the Halos are actually for. Learning the truth about the Halos is also a large part of the reason the Arbiter ends up siding with humanity, leading to the Great Schism, and ultimately the end of the war.

(Not that I disagree with your opening point about Reach butchering TFoR)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

None of this stops it being a great campaign.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Admittedly I haven't read every single post but I don't see anyone acting hysterical over this. Maybe you guys could link a handful of the posts to which you are referring?

like this.

Literally in-between your two posts... And that's just this page. Take a quick look at the first few pages and you'll see more then your fair share of hysteria.

Wow third straight 343 Halo game where is sounds like they are rebooting the game towards the end of development again. My hype is now deflated

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
If the director found a different job he was excited about and decided the final stages of infinite's development would be fine without him, why should he spend another year on it if he has a new opportunity he is interested in? There are millions of reasons for why someone may decide to leave a company

He was removed from his role, per the OP.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My issue with Reach's campaign was the level design. None of the missions were memorable (and ive played through the game probably 10 times). But when i think of Halo 3- The Ark, The Covenant, Halo. Man there are some memorable levels and gameplay segments. The scarab fights (we never got to fight one proper in Reach), and that last warthog run were so fun to re-do with friends over and over. Nothing in Reach had that memorability or replayability to me in the same way.

There were definitely memorable sequences for me. The guta battle, the finale at the top of the high rise in New Alexandria, Tip of the Spear and the spire, every second of Long Night of Solace and of course the finale.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My issue with Reach's campaign was the level design. None of the missions were memorable (and ive played through the game probably 10 times). But when i think of Halo 3- The Ark, The Covenant, Halo. Man there are some memorable levels and gameplay segments. The scarab fights (we never got to fight one proper in Reach), and that last warthog run were so fun to re-do with friends over and over. Nothing in Reach had that memorability or replayability to me in the same way.

Halo 3 definitely had higher highs but also lower lows. Reach was more consistent tho. With that said I probably prefer ODST over both of them, and Halo 3s campaign over Reach.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
My issue with Reach's campaign was the level design.

I figure of all things, level design would the last thing anybody could have issues with when it comes to Reach. Reach's level design was utterly dazzling with the most solid sequence of campaign missions ever seen in an FPS (Tip of the Spear, Long Night of Solace, Exodus, New Alexandria, The Package, Pillar of Autumn). Exodus alone is the closest thing to a masterpiece that Bungie has ever had.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Reach was by far the worst Halo game. It's not even a competition. Everything was bad in Reach.

4 and 5 weren't great, but at least they mailed the core gameplay loop that makes Halo so enjoyable. Reach couldn't even do that.

Sorry, but Reach was the last good Halo campaign, everything after has been mediocre.
The gunplay in Reach was on the same level as Halo 3

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
There are a number of reasons people no longer work at a company. Personal health. To pursue other opportunities. Misconduct. No point in worrying about it. If there's one thing I learned in 25 years of working it's that were all replaceable. There is another well deserving, hard working employee that gets to step up and bring their new energy. It's exciting.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Well if he worked on Halo 5's campaign maybe this is a good thing? It's hard to spin someone leaving this late in development as a good thing though.

Also, I don't think this game has any excuses when it comes to it's time in development. It would have been 5 years since Halo 5 next year.
Oh if he worked on Halo 5 it's definitely a good thing. If you had told me before Halo 5 launched that there would ever be a Halo game that I don't finish, I'd of called you crazy.