• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
???

what source do you have for this hilarious claim?
Play the game. Bloodshots is com
Sorry, but Reach was the last good Halo campaign, everything after has been mediocre.
The gunplay in Reach was on the same level as Halo 3
Both were terrible. Taking off your blinders, 4 and 5 had better gameplay. The rest is opinion. 4 had a lot of COD elements tacked on and 5 in my opinion is the best since Halo 2

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I don't know about nothing. She stops Chief from firing Halo in CE and is the reason humanity finds out what the Halos are actually for. Learning the truth about the Halos is also a large part of the reason the Arbiter ends up siding with humanity, leading to the Great Schism, and ultimately the end of the war.

(Not that I disagree with your opening point about Reach butchering TFoR)

She's the one that directs him to The Flood and accidentally frees them.

She's also the one that accidentally helps to free the genocidal guy in Halo 4.

Nothing she did couldn't have been done by any other regular AI, they just tried to make Cortana more important than she was to the detriment of the seires.

None of this stops it being a great campaign.

It was okay as far as mission design and encounters went i'll agree, not amazing, but okay, sure as hell better than 4 & 5.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
has us energized, more than ever, to create the best Halo game to date, alongside Project Scarlett in holiday 2020. These changes have no impact to the release date for Halo Infinite.
Whether or not the game's creative director leaving at this stage is seen any kind of sign of things to come, this statement just seems bullish and of course they're going to say it but it shows that they will not even consider to budge from Holiday 2020, even if the game has problems and needs more time. There were some launch games for the Xbox One that had content/technical/quality issues and could have done with significantly more time, but they were put out for launch because they had a quota to meet. We can only wait and see on this, but I don't ever see it as a good sign when companies aren't willing to make necessary delays to their games.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whether or not the game's creative director leaving at this stage is seen any kind of sign of things to come, this statement just seems bullish and of course they're going to say it but it shows that they will not even consider to budge from Holiday 2020, even if the game has problems and needs more time. There were some launch games for the Xbox One that had content/technical/quality issues and could have done with significantly more time, but they were put out for launch because they had a quota to meet. We can only wait and see on this, but I don't ever see it as a good sign when companies aren't willing to make necessary delays to their games.

They've had 5 years to develop the game, there's no reason to delay the game just because one person leaves.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

They've been developing this game for 5 years by the time it'll release. Because one person leaves the game should be delayed and it should be in trouble? Ffs.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
They've had 5 years to develop the game, there's no reason to delay the game just because one person leaves.
Delays can happen for any and all kinds of reasons, and while I did say that this move may or may not have lasting effects on the game that ends up coming out in Holiday 2020 the point I'm getting at is that if there are problems with the game regardless of a late in the day shift in senior management, Microsoft still wouldn't delay a game like this because of their plans for it as a launch game for their next console.

They've been developing this game for 5 years by the time it'll release. Because one person leaves the game should be delayed and it should be in trouble? Ffs.
I'm not saying that it needs to or it will solely because of one person in management leaving. I'm saying that it wouldn't be delayed even if it needed it based on this statement. How you're acting like games that have been in development for several years have never been delayed before for various reasons, I don't know.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I should have seen it coming, but the level of concern trolling in this thread exceeded my expectations.
Lol.

Every Halo thread takes off like wildfire around here regardless of how much people say "Halo is dead". If 343 knock infinite out of the park I think people are going to be very surprised when they see the numbets the game does. Halo is just one of those franchises that will always have its roots in people.
True that.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a bit of a weird perspective, but i'm not worried. It seems like a massive amount of effort went into the Slipspace engine. If this speaks to dev issues and the game ends up being bad then oh well. They'll have a good engine to build the next game on and hopefully avoid the dev issues. I enjoy Halo and if Infinite turns out poorly that won't kill my love of the series. But I do hope it ends up being a good game, it'd be awesome to have a strong Halo for the next console gen launch.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense. Best campaign of the series.

That's where I was during middle-to-high school, when all the military ho hum stuff was cool to me. To be sure, there's lots of variety and a huge sandbox, but it just doesn't hold up as tightly as every other Halo game sans 5 to me. The dialogue is the poorest of the franchise which is a feat, and the encounters get kind of stale after so many firefight segments with waves of one-shot enemies.

It's okay, but Halo CE and 3 still have the best encounter design, and Halo 4 the best dialogue.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Bloom is a visual indicator of shot spread, the DMR was still a more reliable weapon than the Halo 3 BR in online matches.
I would disagree with the DMR being more reliable than the halo 3 BR. The bloom in reach played a big role in MLG falling off of Halo. MLG was strong during the halo 3 years because while their was some hard to decypher spread on the BR, it was manageable.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would disagree with the DMR being more reliable than the halo 3 BR. The bloom in reach played a big role in MLG falling off of Halo. MLG was strong during the halo 3 years because while their was some hard to decypher spread on the BR, it was manageable.

MLG doesn't always know what is best. They dropped Halo in favor of Call of Duty which has worse problems from a competitive standpoint than Halo Reach.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that it needs to or it will solely because of one person in management leaving. I'm saying that it wouldn't be delayed even if it needed it. How you're acting like games that have been in development for several years have never been delayed before for various reasons, I don't know.

I'm not acting like it can't or won't be delayed.

But they've been given a lot of time, and 343 being confident about Holiday 2020 isn't a sign to me that MS won't delay it, it's a sign development is going well and they are hitting their milestones.

(Edit: I'm not trying to say development is going great, because tbh we don't know. Just saying that there could be other reasons that statement was made. It doesn't mean the release date is locked in and MS won't allow it to be delayed.)

Last edited:

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Bloom is a visual indicator of shot spread, the DMR was still a more reliable weapon than the Halo 3 BR in online matches.
Absolutely not the same thing. Halo 3 br had the shots stay within the reticule. Reach dmr would expand the reticule with every shot increasing the rng. Bungie's intension was to promote pacing your shots which makes sense and I was all for it but unfortunately spamming your shots was better than pacing almost all of the time and it ended up being a luck fest.

I don't know what Reach you played or what skill level you were but you had to spam in order to win even at silver tier or you were at a disadvantage.

The H3 br is way more consistent to get a 4/5 shot kill.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I'll just wait and see the product before I judge bc I'm sure there are a ton of people working on this and an insanely high standard so maybe this is for the better of the product.

Gimme gameplay and don't delay please lol

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
man i care not one whit about Halo reviews from publications, being a former hardcore Halo player. Regardless of the whole 3.8 out of 4.0 ratings mechanic that damages game media credibility with large flagship projects for companies. I just recall that it was impossible to get all of my friends together for any kind of coop playthrough because they all just beat the game and reboxed it, unless they played with the MP for a little while and THEN reboxed it. My friend group wasn't unique, because I heard stories like that everywhere. Did games media journalists like Halo4? Did they say "all in all, considering everything, the campaign isn't bad, it isn't horrible, it may even be a saving grace"? Maybe, I didn't hear or read or pay much attention to what they were paid to say, but I did notice that I wasn't playing and re-playing Halo4 for years after getting it, and the MP populations were anemic compared to previous games.

"hate bandwagons" ...revisionist history or what?
Bruh I can say the MP was terrible until I'm blue in the face and all you'll do is repeat that same gripe. I get it, I was there. Yes your friend group has no bearing on the actual critical reception. I'm not here to argue about game journalism and the state of it, save that for something else, I said FACTS not OPINIONS, the damn game reviewed good despite your hate hard on you have for it. Idc if it was the shittiest game of all time to you, it still reviewed good. Like we're just going to pretend nobody cares about game journalism because you say it sucks, foh. Your a website the game journalists get there info for you guessed it, game journalism. It's not that serious bro, so I'll make this crystal clear one last time, halo 4.. was.. critically.. well.. received. But by all means tell me more tales of your friend circle and there god like opinions lol, not sure how I'm being a "revisionist" when your quoting your own friend circle 😂. Again, you can google the stuff I said, the stuff your telling me I'm pretty sure I can't go ahead and fact check on google besides the obvious MP is dead after a few months which I never even brought up in a positive light in the first place. Like ok the game didn't have legs, should I rebuttal with saying it still sold a shit ton of copies? No, it's irrelevant to my "CRITICAL RECEPTION" topic.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh I can say the MP was terrible until I'm blue in the face and all you'll do is repeat that same gripe. I get it, I was there. Yes your friend group has no bearing on the actual critical reception. I'm not here to argue about game journalism and the state of it, save that for something else, I said FACTS not OPINIONS, the damn game reviewed good despite your hate hard on you have for it. Idc if it was the shittiest game of all time to you, it still reviewed good. Like we're just going to pretend nobody cares about game journalism because you say it sucks, foh. Your a website the game journalists get there info for you guessed it, game journalism. It's not that serious bro, so I'll make this crystal clear one last time, halo 4.. was.. critically.. well.. received. But by all means tell me more tales of your friend circle and there god like opinions lol, not sure how I'm being a "revisionist" when your quoting your own friend circle 😂. Again, you can google the stuff I said, the stuff your telling me I'm pretty sure I can't go ahead and fact check on google besides the obvious MP is dead after a few months which I never even brought up in a positive light in the first place. Like ok the game didn't have legs, should I rebuttal with saying it still sold a shit ton of copies? No, it's irrelevant to my "CRITICAL RECEPTION" topic.
but was it a good game? no.

<3

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I'mma stop your right there.

Aside from the fact many find Halo 4's campaign horribly underwhelming, badly designed and a poor starting point for this new series of Halo titles, the differences between Chief & Cortana have already been shown before and to much better effect.

Halo 1 achieved that and stomps Halo 4 into the dirt in it's hokey characterisation of the two protagonists.

Had Cortana remained dead, at least Halo 4 would be remembered fondly as her final farewell, but they couldn't even do that.
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here by that "everyone" your talking about people on this gaming forum. Clearly you didn't play halo 1 lol, that games 99% atmosphere and one liners wtf are you smoking. Was many an actual game critic or your internet friends? I can just as easily say many found halo 4's story to be good as hell. I'm not sure how either claim would negate either one of our opinions because of the amount of bullshit you have to hop through to even think that "many" could be an actual, logistical, measure of a game because think it is.... the damn game still reviewed good, not because of spartan ops, or forge, or the mp, because of its story. Google it, YouTube it, go surf ign, ACG whatever floats your boat. All this back and forth doesn't somehow prove me wrong that halo 4 was well received BECAUSE of its story.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I'mma stop your right there.

Aside from the fact many find Halo 4's campaign horribly underwhelming, badly designed and a poor starting point for this new series of Halo titles, the differences between Chief & Cortana have already been shown before and to much better effect.

Halo 1 achieved that and stomps Halo 4 into the dirt in it's hokey characterisation of the two protagonists.

Had Cortana remained dead, at least Halo 4 would be remembered fondly as her final farewell, but they couldn't even do that.

This,
They chose the most cliche way that has been done over and over and over again. An AI taking over the world. Even Bungie them self thought about it and dismissed the idea because it's cliche and pretty much have no creativity into it.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
but was it a good game? no.

<3
You make it sound like it was mass effect andromeda levels of bad, Hell it was still a shit ton better than what was out at the time, battlefield hardline I think? Plus forge mode in halo 4 was legit, and despite halo 5 retconning the point of 4. The story was still still good, lasky was a great new character, didact (even his mediocre ass was eons better than warden eternals)was a cool bad guy despite the lack luster boss battle, and the graphics were fucking eyeball melting, even to this day that game still holds up really good. If I was to rate it, it's a solid 7/10 for me. When I play MCC halo 4 is the first game I turn off from rotation lol, but it had its saving graces, I played through it to get some achievements and it's levels, while they do get repetitive, are still enjoyable for the graphics and story alone. Plus I kinda dig some of the armor abilities, sure they destroyed the balance of the mp but they were fun in the campaign.

Mar 26, 2018
It hasn't been what it was since Reach. I am not expecting the series to suddenly be great again

Halo 4s visual style just felt so wrong as well. Like an unreal engine look with extra bright glaze and notice how awful the pit remake felt to the original.

Then 5 with similar issues in the campaign and a very straightforward boring campaign again.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here by that "everyone" your talking about people on this gaming forum. Clearly you didn't play halo 1 lol, that games 99% atmosphere and one liners wtf are you smoking. Was many an actual game critic or your internet friends? I can just as easily say many found halo 4's story to be good as hell. I'm not sure how either claim would negate either one of our opinions because of the amount of bullshit you have to hop through to even think that "many" could be an actual, logistical, measure of a game because think it is.... the damn game still reviewed good, not because of spartan ops, or forge, or the mp, because of its story. Google it, YouTube it, go surf ign, ACG whatever floats your boat. All this back and forth doesn't somehow prove me wrong that halo 4 was well received BECAUSE of its story.

Ain't nobody holding up Halo 4 as one of the better titles in the series for any aspect.

The prometheas were flat out unenjoyable to fight against : teleporting at the last second grew irritating within minutes.

The story was not a great launching point for a new saga.

The encounters were terrible, and bringing back the Covenant who should've remained relegated to the previous games was a bad idea.

The multiplayer was atrocious : that broken shotgun, the boring maps, I played Halo 3 for years, I played Halo 4 a week then stopped.

It's just so bland and boring and for a lot of people it was a first strike from 343 who've yet to score a single hit.

Halo 1 DOES have a better story, you're discovering Halo & The Flood along with Chief and it sets the series up perfect... even if Bungie failed to live up to the narrative potential.

I'll grant Halo 4 may have better writing but the plot isn't anything special, it's just a recycle of Halo 1 (accidentally unleash ancient evil/stop ancient evil)

Nobody ever brings it up as being their fav.

This,
They chose the most cliche way that has been done over and over and over again. An AI taking over the world. Even Bungie them self thought about it and dismissed the idea because it's cliche and pretty much have no creativity into it.

Precisely, it's fan fiction level drivel.

Literally the ENTIRE Halo mythos right now is about orbiting Cortana.

An entire UNIVERSE of unlimited possibilities, alien races, threats, discoveries, so much endless potential...

And it's squandered because the only remotely interesting relationship in all these games is Chief and Cortana.

And despite exploring it in Halo 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5, we still have to go back to this dried up well in 6.

Mar 26, 2018
I still love to play all parts of halo 1 to 3 including objective and btb.

I would have a hard time playing any parts of 343s halos.

I had to move on and it took a while to find something that fit and it wasn't cod, destiny or bf.

Siege is the game I had to get into.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 story is at least funny fan fiction. My friends and I always quote those cringey Del Rio and Cortana lines and laugh.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Ain't nobody holding up Halo 4 as one of the better titles in the series for any aspect.

The prometheas were flat out unenjoyable to fight against : teleporting at the last second grew irritating within minutes.

The story was not a great launching point for a new saga.

The encounters were terrible, and bringing back the Covenant who should've remained relegated to the previous games was a bad idea.

The multiplayer was atrocious : that broken shotgun, the boring maps, I played Halo 3 for years, I played Halo 4 a week then stopped.

It's just so bland and boring and for a lot of people it was a first strike from 343 who've yet to score a single hit.

Halo 1 DOES have a better story, you're discovering Halo & The Flood along with Chief and it sets the series up perfect... even if Bungie failed to live up to the narrative potential.

I'll grant Halo 4 may have better writing but the plot isn't anything special, it's just a recycle of Halo 1 (accidentally unleash ancient evil/stop ancient evil)

Nobody ever brings it up as being their fav.

Precisely, it's fan fiction level drivel.

Literally the ENTIRE Halo mythos right now is about orbiting Cortana.

An entire UNIVERSE of unlimited possibilities, alien races, threats, discoveries, so much endless potential...

And it's squandered because the only remotely interesting relationship in all these games in Chief and Cortana.

And despite exploring it in Halo 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5, we still have to go back to this dried up well in 6.
Jesus Christ, for the last time. Halo 4 is the weakest halo game in the series, when did I say otherwise. Promethians where wack as hell to fight, I haven't once said the level design or enemy variety was out of the world. Again it's the story, ik you get this knack for pointing out everything but that but it was good. Do I have to link a review of it or some shit? It was critically reviewed well FOR THE STORY. And hell no, it was a great launching point for the story. They fucked it sideways with halo 5. If your into the hardcore halo community it's a general consensus that 343 had they're cards all set up. Forunners making a come back, the fucking species that started EVERYTHING is back, Its no avengers #1 set up but it left the table open to all those things you listed... then halo 5 came around and said nope we're going to focus on Cortana again. Halo wars 2 introducing the flood is still around, and there finally going into halo lore with infinite by going to zeta halo. So all things considered it was a smart way to start a new saga, by keep the book open feel me. Like you guys say it sounds like fan fiction but everyone else on the gaming journalism/halo community side says otherwise. But again, your "many" is a more valid statistic so I'm sure your just going to tell me more about that again 🤦🏾‍♂️.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Halo 4 story is at least funny fan fiction. My friends and I always quote those cringey Del Rio and Cortana lines and laugh.
Honestly the writing in halo 4 was the only good thing. The only people I didn't like was Sarah Palmer and del rio because they were like, always grumpy over something. But all the chief and Cortana dialogue was solid.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, for the last time. Halo 4 is the weakest halo game in the series, when did I say otherwise. Promethians where wack as hell to fight, I haven't once said the level design or enemy variety was out of the world. Again it's the story, ik you get this knack for pointing out everything but that but it was good. Do I have to link a review of it or some shit? It was critically reviewed well FOR THE STORY. And hell no, it was a great launching point for the story. They fucked it sideways with halo 5. If your into the hardcore halo community it's a general consensus that 343 had they're cards all set up. Forunners making a come back, the fucking species that started EVERYTHING is back, Its no avengers #1 set up but it left the table open to all those things you listed... then halo 5 came around and said nope we're going to focus on Cortana again. Halo wars 2 introducing the flood is still around, and there finally going into halo lore with infinite by going to zeta halo. So all things considered it was a smart way to start a new saga, by keep the book open feel me. Like you guys say it sounds like fan fiction but everyone else on the gaming journalism/halo community side says otherwise. But again, your "many" is a more valid statistic so I'm sure your just going to tell me more about that again 🤦🏾‍♂️.

Halo 4 reviewed well because when you don't compare it to the other games, it's an okay game, not great, not terrible, just decent.

Sure the story was a high point for reviewers but for fans I don't think it left a good impression, especially as you rightly say, because Halo 5 threw all the buildup of 4 into the trash.

343 are talented, the games look good, run good, sound good, they know what they're doing.

But either the sandboxes, encounters or story needs to make some major leaps in quality or they'll fail again.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing good about Reach. It did everything the worst in the series.

Gunplay
Firefight
Campaign
Multiplayer
Ranking/Competitive
BTB
Forge

Everything. Even the OST was the weakest of the series.

Halo 5 is the best Halo gameplay wise since H2. I have faith in 343 to right the ship as all the moves they've made have been to correct the big mistakes they made (going away from Bungie's amazing art design, campaign focus)

And Halo 1 is still the best campaign in the series, right next to Halo 3.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4's campaign was unmemorable while 5's was memorably bad.

Reach was great, fuckery with lore aside.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing. But I feel like Halo Infinite was probably a 2019 game that got pushed to being a next gen launch game for the obvious benifits of being tied to a console launch and the extra polish the extra time provides.

The game has been LOOOOONG in development. Things sounds like they are going well. In this case I dont think I would worry just yet.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Lol some posts in this thread. Halo is going to be fine. 1 person doesn't single handedly make a game. theres like 500+ at 343