• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
The more I play of halo 5 multiplayer the more I realize it's the best arena shooter experience this gen. I freaking can't wait for infinite and can barely hold my excitement. I've been playing guardians for almost 4 years now off and on. There's only been a handful of titles that I've came back to for more than a year: halo 2, 3, 5, reach, pubg splinter cell chaos theory, and gears 1. H3 and h5 are the only 2 I've played more than 2 years.

Hail to the king!

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
There was an exodus of Bungie developers, including long time composer Martian O'Donnel, in the March before Destiny was released; and the game was released as a work-in-progress because they had to revise the story, but meet a deadline.

During Anthem's development, Casey Hudson left with (along with other long time Bioware developers) and Anthem turned out half-baked from a lack of direction and vision.

The point I'm making is that when high profile people leave a game, it's a bad sign, or so I'm led to believe anyway from the examples stated.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was an exodus of Bungie developers, including long time composer Martian O'Donnel, in the March before Destiny was released; and the game was released as a work-in-progress because they had to revise the story, but meet a deadline.

During Anthem's development, Casey Hudson left with (along with other long time Bioware developers) and Anthem turned out half-baked from a lack of direction and vision.

The point I'm making is that when high profile people leave a game, it's a bad sign, or so I'm led to believe anyway from the examples stated.

Except all of those games were delayed. Halo 2 also had nasty development problems and look how it turned out.

Edit: With Bungie aswell you knew things were not right with development of Destiny considering Marty was fired and Joe Staten went back to Microsoft after leaving Bungie.

Last edited:

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
The more I play of halo 5 multiplayer the more I realize it's the best arena shooter experience this gen. I freaking can't wait for infinite and can barely hold my excitement. I've been playing guardians for almost 4 years now off and on. There's only been a handful of titles that I've came back to for more than a year: halo 2, 3, 5, reach, pubg splinter cell chaos theory, and gears 1. H3 and h5 are the only 2 I've played more than 2 years.

Hail to the king!

I have confidence that 343i will deliver the goods.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope the game is ok. I was a fan of them taking a long needed break to really re-calibrate what they want to do with the single player experience. I also loved Halo 5's multiplayer so I was curious how they were going to switch up the campaign but build off of Halo 5's multiplayer. I'd imagine that a touch balance.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reach was by far the worst Halo game. It's not even a competition. Everything was bad in Reach.

4 and 5 weren't great, but at least they mailed the core gameplay loop that makes Halo so enjoyable. Reach couldn't even do that.

There goes your credibility. Reach had one of the best Halo campaigns ever. 343 hasn't come close to Bungie quality yet (unfortunately). I am very hopeful for Infinite, though - just for the Halo ring alone.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul

Hail to the king!
Yeah even with the dumb "it doesn't feel like classic halo" arguments, I think it's the best arena shooter this gen by far.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah even with the dumb "it doesn't feel like classic halo" arguments, I think it's the best arena shooter this gen by far.

No, Lawbreakers was the best arena shooter (actually had good maps, proper controls, and fun to play). 343 couldn't even get the aiming to feel good which was a whole issue on its own.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
No, Lawbreakers was the best arena shooter (actually had good maps, proper controls, and fun to play). 343 couldn't even get the aiming to feel good which was a whole issue on its own.
Too bad it died so quickly. I liked that game but always forget about it because of how quickly it died.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Hail to the king!

This is the issue, most people that complain about Halo 5 never actually played it to any extend. Such rewarding movement. Best headshots in the game...man I love halo 5 multi!

Feb 9, 2018
These sorts of things happen, and Halo 6 is already far enough along in development (they have already made the entire opening cinematic and at least have several character and model assets more or less finished) that this is unlikely to impact anything.

My overriding concern is whether 343 Industries can deliver on a gameplay experience that's good enough to make this five-year wait worth it. What little we've seen and heard about it seems promising, but I'm going to wait until we start getting actual gameplay videos and the inevitable beta test before passing any judgement.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If this is just a one off aberration I'd say its nothing to worry about TOO much.

If we get wind of any more people leaving, though...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's normal for the replacement to also leave almost immediately afterwards a year out from release (am I doing this right?).

But seriously, I hope MS is true to their word re: crunch and gives the team any extra time they need if they're having problems.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's normal for the replacement to also leave almost immediately afterwards a year out from release (am I doing this right?).

But seriously, I hope MS is true to their word re: crunch and gives the team any extra time they need if they're having problems.
considering they already commited to this being a launch game, i assume that it will be hard to change at this point, but i agree.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry for the bump, but it seems like the Mary Olson, the one that according to MS's press release was supposed to take charge of the campaign after Longo has now also left 343, only 2 months after.

Looks like she immediately started at Midwinter Entertainment. This studio is run and founded by former 343 Industries Studio Head, Josh Holmes.

It seems to me that Mary Olson seemed to want to move on from Halo, rather than any reason to have concern over.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Looks like she immediately started at Midwinter Entertainment. This studio is run and founded by former 343 Industries Studio Head, Josh Holmes.

It seems to me that Mary Olson seemed to want to move on from Halo, rather than any reason to have concern over.
sure, its just weird that MS said she will lead the campaign only 2 months ago.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

This was the quote given to Kotaku a few months ago:

Roles and responsibilities of various team members regularly evolve to meet the needs of a game, throughout development. We have recently had two changes to the Halo Infinite development team. Our Executive Producer, Mary Olson will now take charge of the Campaign team on Halo Infinite as the Lead Producer, utilizing her many years of experience at 343 Industries to help craft a great campaign for fans. Additionally, Tim Longo has recently departed our team and we are truly thankful for his many contributions to our games, our studio, and the Halo universe... The overall creative vision and production of the game... led by Chris Lee, Studio Head of Halo Infinite... These changes have no impact to the release date for Halo Infinite.

She was identified as one of the leads given new/expanded responsibilities in the development of Halo Infinite as part of the leadership reshuffling. Leaving so shortly after that is what makes it the more perplexing part of the story.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wow...erm....deffo not a good luck.

I bet the pr person who wrote that quote is like "cmoooon give me a break"

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Well then did not expect that at all :O
I understand that more then 1 person does not make a video game but vision and leadership is important.

I really want halo to be good again and I really hope that 343i can pull it off because lots of folks over there who are fantastic and doing great work!

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
I am very confused. The game is supposed to launch at the end of 2020, and this is a very crucial stage in development. Sounds like...creative differences maybe?

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely ignorant about game development but I would have thought creative directors would sign a fixed-term contract before undertaking such a project.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This was the quote given to Kotaku a few months ago:

She was identified as one of the leads given new/expanded responsibilities in the development of Halo Infinite as part of the leadership reshuffling. Leaving so shortly after that is what makes it the more perplexing part of the story.
They stated this
Roles and responsibilities of various team members regularly evolve to meet the needs of a game, throughout development. We have recently had two changes to the Halo Infinite development team.
Chris Lee would definitely be in the know about Mary's plan to leave in a couple of weeks and that's why I think Mary Olson was only chosen to fill Tim Longo's role until Chris Lee was able to find the right person to take over and besides on a project as huge and ambitious as Halo Infinite I'm sure there will be a number of producers and designers all working together.. also I'm glad the quote states these changes won't affect the release date. Mary Olson may have already been replaced by another CD for all we know.
The overall creative vision and production of the game... led by Chris Lee, Studio Head of Halo Infinite... These changes have no impact to the release date for Halo Infinite
I'm extremely ignorant about game development but I would have thought creative directors would sign a fixed-term contract before undertaking such a project.
As I stated above, I think a project as ambitious as this would have a good number of producers and creative leads working on it. we might get some info from Xbox if the project is going to be delayed but so far, it doesn't seem like it. Stinkles will give us an update. :)

Last edited:

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
This is definitely not a good look for the development of this game, but hopefully they can stay the course and produce a good game.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Can they even delay the game? It's the most important launch title.
Which would be really bad if these departures were actually a sign of things not going as smooth as imagined.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be worried unless this leads to a delay which I don't think it will, I wasn't too enthused with what they showed at E3 but I can't wait to see gameplay

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could it be the game is simply not coming together as they hoped/planned? Is not often two critical members leave a game when there's so long before completion.