• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

The Master Chief returns in Halo Infinite – the next chapter of the legendary franchise. Developed by 343 Industries and created with our new Slipspace Engine. This thrilling engine demo provides a glimpse into the future of the Halo franchise, leading it into new and unexpected directions. Xbox One and Windows 10 Exclusive.

Halo Waypoint - Our Journey Begins

E3 2018 is a monumental moment for the Halo franchise and for us here at 343 Industries, and we couldn't be more excited to share with you a glimpse of our new Slipspace Engine, which will power our next title, Halo Infinite. It's been a busy stretch here at 343 since the launch of Halo 5: Guardians between supporting the title with post-release updates and secretly working on our new Slipspace Engine tech in parallel. Finally showing the world some of what we've been working on has really energized the team!

The Slipspace Engine demo shown at the E3 2018 briefing is the culmination of years of work and is infused with the passion of hundreds of people here at 343 Industries. When we started this project, the team's vision for the game was ambitious – so much so that we knew we had to build new tech to fully realize our goals for Halo Infinite. The E3 demo showcases some of the exciting potential of this technology – everything you see is running in-engine. We still have a long way to go until we ship the game, so things will certainly evolve between now and the release of Halo Infinite, though the engine demo is a clear indication of the direction we are heading with our next game and a great snapshot of where our tech is right now.

It's hard to believe that 343 Industries was formed just over a decade ago. Over the years, the team has learned a lot from creating Halo 4 and Halo 5 and from you, our community. I hope you can see nods to some of that in our demo, such as the approach to some visual elements. Halo Infinite will feature Sparth's (Art Director, Nicolas Bouvier) new art style that draws significant inspiration from the most iconic and historic parts of the Halo franchise and your feedback, all while modernizing and taking advantage of the full power of the Xbox One family. The new Master Chief helmet directly showcases our new art style.

The team also heard feedback loud and clear on the amount of time spent playing as the Master Chief in Halo 5. In Halo Infinite, the game will focus on the Master Chief and continue his saga after the events of Halo 5.

I know waiting can be hard for folks who are excited for more info about the game. We are taking the time we need to make the right game and are making changes to how we approach things this time around. The goal of the entire 343 Industries team is to make a great Halo game for our fans that also invites new players into our franchise. We will have some new and unexpected directions to take folks in and I believe the way we achieve that is to build alongside our community, iterating and improving as we go.

In the future, you will be able to join early flighting programs that will let members of the community play the game with us, and give direct feedback, much like the current Insider flighting program for Halo: The Master Chief Collection. It will take some time for us to be ready to kick those flighting events off, but when we do they will start small and grow along the way.

I would love to hear from you as we build Halo Infinite. You can hit me up @tefferlee on Twitter and let me know what you think about the engine demo. Keep in mind that I do have a game to build so you won't see me out there on social media quite as often as other folks, but I will definitely be listening along with the development team. And don't worry, our community team constantly funnels feedback and info to us as well. If you are someone who wants to directly help realize our vision for this game, check out our careers page at the brand new 343industries.com site to see if there is a role for you here at the studio and Halo.

I'm incredibly proud of what the 343 Industries development team has done with the Slipspace Engine and this first tease of Halo Infinite, and I look forward to sharing more with you all in the future once we are ready. Thank you all for your support and passion for Halo. This is an exciting moment for all of us, and we look forward to embarking on this journey together!

Chris Lee, Studio Head, FPS

Last edited:

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Is this open world on a ring world? They sure made it look that way, really cool if so.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I really hope they keep that Chief armor - it looked like the perfect harmony of the old art style and the new. I was hoping we'd see more but I guess not, we probably won't see shit else until next year now.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
DfWwwLCUYAAf-OU.jpg

I'm so excited to see the Halo 3 armor come back.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I skipped this trailer live because I was all "it's probably Tomb Raider, I have some time to make a drink..."
Whoops.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to believe that 343 Industries was formed just over a decade ago. Over the years, the team has learned a lot from creating Halo 4 and Halo 5 and from you, our community. I hope you can see nods to some of that in our demo, such as the approach to some visual elements. Halo Infinite will feature Sparth's (Art Director, Nicolas Bouvier) new art style that draws significant inspiration from the most iconic and historic parts of the Halo franchise and your feedback, all while modernizing and taking advantage of the full power of the Xbox One family. The new Master Chief helmet directly showcases our new art style.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/our-journey-begins

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Halo teasers get weirder every time.

Master Chief's brain -> Poncho Chief -> Afrika?

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
DfWwwLCUYAAf-OU.jpg

I'm so excited to see the Halo 3 armor come back.

This, coupled with quote makes me think we're gonna get a proper Halo game that really leverages what made the first trilogy so great:

"Halo Infinite will feature Sparth's (Art Director, Nicolas Bouvier) new art style that draws significant inspiration from the most iconic and historic parts of the Halo franchise and your feedback, all while modernizing and taking advantage of the full power of the Xbox One family. The new Master Chief helmet directly showcases our new art style."

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
According to the blog post, 343 has nothing else to show of this game for now and its still a ways out.

So why was this announced so early? It seems like this could've waited until next E3 when there's an actual game to show.

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I love the open world direction this looks like. Good god, that shot of the jeep is what got me into Halo in the first place when I saw the original trailer at Macworld or whatever it was.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic reveal.

I'm loving how open these levels feel, it gives me some major Halo 1 and 3 vibes. One of my major gripes with the 343 campaigns were how claustrophobic they often felt but this seems like the completely opposite. I'm sure this isn't open world but it does give off that feel, which is great. I also love the new artstyle, again, one of the things that I never was that big of a fan of in the 343 games were the new artstyle that made everything feel way too bulky and round, that's gone now.

This is the freshest Halo has looked in forever, very excited to see what 343 has cooking.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be game engine demo, doesn't mean it is representative of what kind of world we'll be seeing, open world or not.
And looks are one thing, gameplay quite another.

Nov 2, 2017
I just need to know what the Slip Stream Engine is. If it's a conscious attempt at bringing physics back to a prominent place in this franchise, I'll buy an Xbox One X tomorrow and wait.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Why even show this? The trailer told us nothing, not even a vague release date. This could be a 2020 game for all we know. Not understanding why people would be hyped from this.