• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Style looks much improved over Halo 5. Brings back Halo CE vibes, but it's been a LONG time since Halo 5 to only have a engine demo. Seems like this game is way off.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Sorry but you're wrong

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/our-journey-begins

It's hard to believe that 343 Industries was formed just over a decade ago. Over the years, the team has learned a lot from creating Halo 4 and Halo 5 and from you, our community. I hope you can see nods to some of that in our demo, such as the approach to some visual elements. Halo Infinite will feature Sparth's (Art Director, Nicolas Bouvier) new art style that draws significant inspiration from the most iconic and historic parts of the Halo franchise and your feedback, all while modernizing and taking advantage of the full power of the Xbox One family. The new Master Chief helmet directly showcases our new art style.

Either way why're you in here trying to downplay this?
Uhm nothing of that statement indicates that im wrong lol
And the game is coming to W10 btw too... So yeah a great looking tech demo captured on a beefy PC.

Im not downplaying anything. Im being realistic unlike you.

The game won't end up looking quite as good as the teaser, and the teaser was almost definitely recorded off a PC, notice how it didn't say running on Xbox One X in the teaser? This is just demo of what the engine can do.
Yup. OneX sadly has a big bottleneck. And i can already tell you what will be downgraded from the Tech Demo.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
New Engine for Xbox One :)

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/our-journey-begins

Engine Showcase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzwddyOeiXo

"It's hard to believe that 343 Industries was formed just over a decade ago. Over the years, the team has learned a lot from creating Halo 4 and Halo 5 and from you, our community. I hope you can see nods to some of that in our demo, such as the approach to some visual elements. Halo Infinite will feature Sparth's (Art Director, Nicolas Bouvier) new art style that draws significant inspiration from the most iconic and historic parts of the Halo franchise and your feedback, all while modernizing and taking advantage of the full power of the Xbox One family. The new Master Chief helmet directly showcases our new art style."

OP you can add this to the front page it's about their new engine made for Xbox One

What exactly do they mean by the underlined and bolded part?

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
No, I'm being realistic, One X isn't a next gen system and they aren't going to have completely different graphics on One X from the basic One.
The One X version will just be higher res.
The Xbox One is not capable of those graphics at a locked 60fps with environments that big.

Umm every X MS title hasn't been just basic One with higher res. Again speculation from you. Show me the receipts that the X can't produce those graphics cause Gears 5 and FH4 prove differently

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo

Are they basically retconning the end of Halo 5?

Like, this looks like a complete reboot artistic wise and concept wise of Halo

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Btw are we sure that some of these assets are new? That chief armor looks straight ripped out of Halo 3. And the Marines looked like ripped from Reach.

Umm every X MS title hasn't been just basic One with higher res. Again speculation from you. Show me the receipts that the X can't produce those graphics cause Gears 5 and FH4 prove differently
You have seen the PC version of Gears 5 and Horizon 4

Why are you trying so hard to convince us that this is how the game will run on OneX? (it wont)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
One X games are just higher res with minor tweaks like higher res shadows. Gears 5 is not a giant, open game and it might get a downgrade too, and never trust Forza, they are the kings of bullshots.

Oct 25, 2017
The game won't end up looking quite as good as the teaser, and the teaser was almost definitely recorded off a PC, notice how it didn't say running on Xbox One X in the teaser? This is just demo of what the engine can do.

Indeed. I dont expect the final game to look quite this good, but I imagine it will still look similar. Like, the same thing, but with some settings turned down and dynamic resolution.

I remember when the first in-engine Battlefront teaser came out, nobody believed the game would end up looking anything like it at all and figured the engine claim was BS. I saw an early event gameplay preview and tried to tell everybody that it really looked very similar, just imagine it in a realistic resolution and without all the flashy camera work/editing. And people literally told me I was an idiot and a liar. And then the gameplay was formally revealed and everyone was all like, oh shit, it actually does look like the engine footage but with realistic settings.

That's what I expect here. Cutscenes may look pretty close to this, gameplay will be similar but with more realistic settings. It's a good indication of what the aesthetic of the game may be but it may lose some detail.

And kind of related to performance that isn't sustainable on console, DF's recent video about the Halo 2 demo was fun:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo

Are they basically retconning the end of Halo 5?

Like, this looks like a complete reboot artistic wise and concept wise of Halo

We have no idea if this is even a part of the game or not. People keep somehow missing that this is an ENGINE DEMO. It wouldn't shock me if it was built specifically for the show.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Btw are we sure that some of these assets are new? That chief armor looks straight ripped out of Halo 3. And the Marines looked like ripped from Reach.

You have seen the PC version of Gears 5 and Horizon 4

Why are you trying so hard to convince us that this is how the game will run on OneX? (it wont)

LOL where's your receipts? Please post your source because if you've been living under a rock the X versions of first party games are always been ultra top settings. Where's your proof that the X won't be anything near what we seen? Cause that is a lot to say against a dev without any proof or source.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. I dont expect the final game to look quite this good, but I imagine it will still look similar. Like, the same thing, but with some settings turned down and dynamic resolution.

I remember when the first in-engine Battlefront teaser came out, nobody believed the game would end up looking anything like it at all and figured the engine claim was BS. I saw an early event gameplay preview and tried to tell everybody that it really looked very similar, just imagine it in a realistic resolution and without all the flashy camera work/editing. And people literally told me I was an idiot and a liar. And then the gameplay was formally revealed and everyone was all like, oh shit, it actually does look like the engine footage but with realistic settings.

That's what I expect here. Cutscenes may look pretty close to this, gameplay will be similar but with more realistic settings. It's a good indication of what the aesthetic of the game may be but it may lose some detail.

And kind of related to performance that isn't sustainable on console, DF's recent video about the Halo 2 demo was fun:

I expect it to have pretty much the same lighting, more aggressive LOD and lower res textures, but still look like it's the same game.

Oct 25, 2017

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Man they are totally going for a different art direction with this one huh? So it wasn't a MP game separate from the SP after all, it's Halo 6. Now I wonder when we can expect it.

Brad Sams seems to be implying it still is.

Also, blocking Jumper. I swear that guy just has to be contrarian on everything. He's devil's advocate in human form.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That looked spectacular, and most importantly, CLASSIC Halo feeling. God, that piano key, it was perfect. Like, 343i listened to everything fans wanted. New art, focus on Master Chief again.

Watching this in 4k, graphics blew my mind. Look forward to DF dissecting this. X is a beast.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope at some point in halo infinite, master chief takes off his helmet only to have another helmet underneath it
He takes off the Halo 4/5 helmet to reveal the Halo 3 helmet (as seen in this teaser). He takes off the Halo 3 helmet to reveal the Halo 1 helmet. He takes off the Halo 1 helmet to reveal...another Halo 1 helmet.

Which he keeps for the remainder of the game.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
That high quality Tesselation and basicly no popin in the trailer screams otherwise to me

Nothing out of place seen with BF2 tesselation and you can easily see it having LOD at the last shot. The base Xbox one definitely won't look like that but the X will definitely be taken full advantage as all first party games have. PG stated that FH4 used the X as the main development and no different with other games. You are just seeing games fully utilizing the X then the enhanced games we seen so far.

Let's wait until it releases to see

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Gotta say:

As someone who was heavily invested into this - as it was once called - trilogy that then turned into a Saga only to then turn into "a great starting point for new players" with a completely new artstyle by the third game I feel pretty fucking bummed out by this.

I was so, so hyped before Halo 4. I read all the Forerunner Books by Greg Bear and they were amazing. The Didact was this great villian, built up to be an almost impossible to beat, singular force in this Universe. Then Halo 4 happened, he got turned into an utterly boring space demon villian thingy who was not only defeated but then completely eradicated in a Comic afterwards. Then all the different story points, seemingly the whole storyline that got worked out in advance kinda fizzled out without any sense of purpose or drama in Spartan Ops and other Extended Universe side projects.

And then Halo 5 happened, pretty much ignoring all the story threats around the Forerunners, instead coming up with the concept of the Guardians and once again it was promoted by amazing lore project beforehand, most importantly the audio audio drama that turned out to not only be better told than the game itself, but then turned out to have absolutely nothing to do with the game at all. And even then Halo 5 ended with a big cliffhanger, seemingly ready to end the story with Cortana.

And now...Halo 6 is Halo Infinite, we've got a new Art Style that basically says "HEY yeah sorry about that Halo 4 and 5 never happened yeah?" and as someone who is so heavily invested into the story and lore of Halo I feel completely left behind in what seems to be an attempt at salvaging a failed trilogy/saga/whatever. This actually gives me the same vibe Assassin's Creed games have been givign me for the last 5 years now. Sure, there is a backstory and sure, stuff seems to be happening...but really, no one behind the scenes seems to have any sort of plan and instead the writers are just kinda going along with it, trying so much to fix past mistakes (or whatever is now generally considered a mistake) that they can't really ever build up a new, epic storyline.

Just remember where we were with Halo 3. We were ready to finish the fight. Remember all the characters you grew attached to, the journey you went through. We are now again at the third game of this new series of Halo games and we are...nowhere. There is no sense of momentum, it's pretty much impossible to know where the story is even at at this point or what the stakes are.

With Halo 1-3, Bungie seemed to have a plan and a story they tried to tell. This just seems so reactive, so aimless that it's almost impossible to care as someone who already spends years getting invested and attached to characters and storylines 343 just kinda tends to toss aside to try whatever else :/

Now, this could all simply be bullshit doom and gloom but Frank's comments along with the Waypoint post, the new artstyle and the new engine give me a real heavy "soft reboot" vibe. And I think that's generally great and amazing. I just wished they did that with Halo 4, before spending years kinda drifting around aimlessly.
I've felt that Halo's story has been a mess ever since I completed Halo 4's campaign and the awful Spartan Ops missions. Halo 4 clearly indicated to me that it was best to move on from following Halo lore. Its no surprise to me that after so many bumps in the road that they're trying to make a clean break. Will they do better this time? There's no way to know so I'm fully prepared to continue not caring about the lore.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally found a reason to update my xbox background
ugEgUJG.jpg
hyped

Nov 14, 2017
They really don't. They're similar designs, so if you watched on a phone or somesuch I could understand thinking that, but the close-ups make it very obvious that they're high fidelity assets created for a modern title. That said the BR and Warthog look like they're from 5.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol what!!! That's amazing
Oh I thought you were knowingly referring to that!

At the end of the first game, of course Chief takes off his helmet just out of frame, so you can see him set it beside him but can't see his face. But behind the scenes, since you never see his face, there was no reason to put in the work to create a new head. So he just takes another helmet off his helmet and nobody knows.

Until modders froze the camera to watch, hoping to see his face.
Turns out that's his face. Haha

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I am hyped for this, but I didn't see anything in the engine that wowed me. The warthog driving along that path looked downright pedestrian to me.

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
Really, one of the more exciting changes with this for me is the return to something closer to the Bungie Art style. 343 taking all the iconic elements of the series - Master Chief's armour, Marine armour, the whole UNSC design approach/aesthetic etc and replacing them with something more generic that missed the point of the original look was one of the things they did that made me dislike the new games, so it's great to see something that actually looks like it could be an updated imagining of UNSC Marine/Army and Master Chief's armour.

theJwac

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's not intentional that this teaser reminded me of the 2006 E3 Halo 3 reveal. The music selection is almost identical.

I'm stoked. I can't wait to learn more!

Oct 25, 2017
Hey hey hey
If Infinite had a moment like this, would it be considered an homage, or a rip off?

Because Doom was fucking awesome and so is this video and I wants it