• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So just how far along is this? I thought they would be 2 and bit years at least?

They also built a new engine for the game, so I imagine that took significant resources. Will be 3 years since Halo 5 this October. Add in dev time for developing an engine and likely expanding the scope of the game beyond the past two entries, and late 2019 may not even be a realistic launch window. I suspect they only showed this trailer to avoid the questions of "What is going on over at 343?"

sproglobber

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wollongong, Australia
I like how the new engine is promoted, they must be proud of it, could be a sexy game!
Some crisp visuals in the trailer.

Must be a long way off still, I'm hanging for a new halo but I will wait for something special... And it needs to be something special.

C4lukin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tejas
I would
Love it to be a fully explorable Halo ring. You can do a total point A, drive north in a Warthog and get back to point A.

Of course I would also like spaceships that can leave the atmosphere, maybe visit a nearby planet, all without cutscenes while traveling.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I'm hoping for most?

Those Halo 2 anniversary Elite designs. I hate the Halo 4/5 armor and face designs for the Elites.

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think the AI Chief put in the helmet can be Cortana or another AI?
Maybe...
Durandall :O

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Damn. This looks good. If they pull this one well, I'm buying whatever it releases on. (except if it's PC)

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but since we know this Halo Ring is Instillation 07 (based on the morse code), that means this was one of the rings that hosted the Forerunner reseeding program of various lifeforms, those primarily being human. That would make the ancient ruins found in some of the shots human, as well as that language they developed as seen on the wall. We also see deer-like and rhinoceros-like creatures on the planet, which got me thinking. Were these animals part of the reseeding program as well, and have they evolved differently over the past 100,000 years due to the conditions of the ecosystem present on the ring? It's a small detail that doesn't really matter, but pretty cool if you ask me.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Nice trailer but I really wish they could just stay quiet until they have something "real" to showcase. By the looks and sounds of it this was little more than a "hey! we got a new engine and will make a game using it!" teaser. Halo games have a bad history with reveals that don't reflect the finished product and it seems likely this could be another of those cases.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice trailer but I really wish they could just stay quiet until they have something "real" to showcase. By the looks and sounds of it this was little more than a "hey! we got a new engine and will make a game using it!" teaser. Halo games have a bad history with reveals that don't reflect the finished product and it seems likely this could be another of those cases.

Sounds to me the announcement it's going to have flights like MCC means we might actually be playing this sooner than we think, even if "final" retail is a ways off.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but since we know this Halo Ring is Instillation 07 (based on the morse code), that means this was one of the rings that hosted the Forerunner reseeding program of various lifeforms, those primarily being human. That would make the ancient ruins found in some of the shots human, as well as that language they developed as seen on the wall. We also see deer-like and rhinoceros-like creatures on the planet, which got me thinking. Were these animals part of the reseeding program as well, and have they evolved differently over the past 100,000 years due to the conditions of the ecosystem present on the ring? It's a small detail that doesn't really matter, but pretty cool if you ask me.
I'm not quite sure yet if this is Installation 07, it could be installation 09 which was sent from The Ark with Anders in Halo Wars 2 aswell. Time will tell I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the return to Halo that made me spend many of nights where I was lost in this world. I can't wait to go back. Hail to the Chief.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never got into Halo due to lacking Xboxes but I seriously cannot wait to try this on PC.

Hopefully the port is great, although I dread downloading anything from the WS again after KI's..

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Still hoping for an MCC win10 release, I mean you expect me to jump back into the franchise having missed more than half of it? C'mon MS, if they can re-release Halo Wars 1 to hype Halo Wars 2 then they can do MCC.

This bit about "Infinite will be a great place to jump in" worries me.... a lot.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not quite sure yet if this is Installation 07, it could be installation 09 which was sent from The Ark with Anders in Halo Wars 2 aswell. Time will tell I guess.
Someone decrypted Morse code from the trailer and claimed it said something along the lines of "SOS ZETA HALO," which is Instillation 07. There was some speculation about that part earlier in the thread.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's weird as well. Halo 4 and 5 had pretty much mandatory reading in order to grasp the story. So it seems Infinite is them testing the waters and keeping it story light and separated from what happened before.

What worries me is that that could mean that they aren't going to bother with MCC on PC. Hence it's a great place to jump in (for PC players).

:/

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great post.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
This bit about "Infinite will be a great place to jump in" worries me.... a lot.

It's just going to be a soft-reboot. It won't abandon the story already set up, but will present it in such a way that newcomers don't need any prior knowledge. And frankly that's an awesome thing. 343i Halo relied way too much on ancillary knowledge, and that was a legitimate problem of their games.

It will continue the story from H5 but will be built in a way that makes it a good place to start your first halo adventure .

It will take place after the events of Halo 5 but feel new to new players. Remember how Halo CE woke you up in the middle of a war your had apparently been fighting?

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
I wonder if this trailer is teasing a new 'game mechanic' like the CGI trailer for Halo 5's beta was teasing Breakout. We see soldiers throw a flair and then Master Chief putting his helmet on, probably going to pick them up after a rough battle (one of them is injured). Like, it's not necessarily open world, but it's more open-ended. Chief can pick up secondary objectives (like rescues) between missions and so forth. I know it's an in-engine trailer and not a real representation of the game, but I want to think there was some purpose in what they showed us besides eye-candy with the gorgeous new art direction.

Also, at the end of the trailer is clear how there is a day-night cycle. Is this for show? Is this a new thing for Halo? We knew that the original Halo: CE was going to have a day-night cycle, but the entire open world idea was scrapped when it switched to FPS. This entire trailer strongly reminded me of that old halo footage.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever it ends up being, I just hope they learned their lesson after 2 games and are pivoting the hell away from the canon they desperately tried to make us care about and failed at.

Deleted member 18568

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest draw for me is the point about Infinite being a good place to jump in/jump back in. Draw a line in the sand and make it newcomer friendly. Can't be fucked to go back and replay a bunch of legacy games just to get up to speed on some lore.

Make it open to all. Everyone played Halo 1 & most played 2. Forcing millions of people to sift through some decade+ trail of narrative is nuts.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting choice to make this a sequel but also not call it Halo 6 and thus kinda not turning the 343 Halos into a trilogy, at least name wise.

I was probably expecting them to just get Halo 6 out of the way before figuring out how to move forward.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's just going to be a soft-reboot. It won't abandon the story already set up, but will present it in such a way that newcomers don't need any prior knowledge. And frankly that's an awesome thing. 343i Halo relied way too much on ancillary knowledge, and that was a legitimate problem of their games.

My concern is that this means it is a good place to jump in "for PC players primarily, since they didn't play the first game, since we're not going to port MCC to PC."

Because think about it this is the first Halo in a looooong time to be on PC. And they made a very specific point to mention that it was a good jumping in point. Bungie just did this with Destiny 2. Never called out PC players specifically. Just mentioned it was a great way to get everyone on the same page and introduce new players.

That's what worries me. I've wanted the other games on PC for so long. If MCC was on PC I would probably seriously go for that 100% achievements too.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched this several times and I can't get over how ballsy of a trailer it is to start off slow and elicit similar vibes from the Halo 3 reveal trailer. I cannot wait to play this game; the wait is going to get much harder once it sets in that this may be a 2020 game lol.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched this several times and I can't get over how ballsy of a trailer it is to start off slow and elicit similar vibes from the Halo 3 reveal trailer. I cannot wait to play this game; the wait is going to get much harder once it sets in that this may be a 2020 game lol.
I'm thinking q1 2020.

Alongside the next xbox.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
My concern is that this means it is a good place to jump in "for PC players primarily, since they didn't play the first game, since we're not going to port MCC to PC."

Because think about it this is the first Halo in a looooong time to be on PC. And they made a very specific point to mention that it was a good jumping in point. Bungie just did this with Destiny 2. Never called out PC players specifically. Just mentioned it was a great way to get everyone on the same page and introduce new players.

That's what worries me. I've wanted the other games on PC for so long. If MCC was on PC I would probably seriously go for that 100% achievements too.

Ah, I see. So your concern is moreso due to an absence of Halo MCC on PC?

Frankly I'd let that go. It would be an incredible amount of work. MCC has so many engines in it, and PC gamers expect a certain amount of flexible display settings. Applying uncapped framerates, manipulable FOVs, 4k resolutions, and variable graphical settings to the 4-5 games in the package would be incredibly extensive.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
The more I think about this game and rewatch the trailer, the more excited I get. This is coming from someone who was pretty disappointed with Halo 4 and 5.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. So your concern is moreso due to an absence of Halo MCC on PC?

Frankly I'd let that go. It would be an incredible amount of work. MCC has so many engines in it, and PC gamers expect a certain amount of flexible display settings. Applying uncapped framerates, manipulable FOVs, 4k resolutions, and variable graphical settings to the 4-5 games in the package would be incredibly extensive.

:/

They could just port each game to PC. They've had years to do it. And there's no way it wouldn't pay for itself. It's just really frustrating.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Graphically this looked really special. Much better than Halo 5 (actual real time elments this time around) - I get the feeling we are seeing PC footage here given the framerate and resolution of the screenshots.
Tonally and Stylistically - this looked more like Reach and Halo 1 then more recent halo. Anyone else agree?

This is some class-A asset and Bokeh
3840_HaloInfinite_E318_MasterChief.png

Notice the warthog reflection in the chief's visor :D

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
I am also holding out hope that this does release for the X.
The primary reason for me getting an X was to get the next Halo in the best format possible. That this might possibly be pushed to the next Xbox is a bit of a kick in the balls.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
My main campaign/arstyle hopes:
Covenant replaced with the Banished from Halo Wars 2 with the same aesthetic as in that game, classic Halo style covenant vehicles will be exclusive to the Swords of Sanghelios.
Swords of Sanghelios are present throughout the game as allies, and The Arbiter is a playable character in co-op. They have Covenant weapons, vehicles and architecture that are a mix of Halo 3 and Reach aesthetics.
The Prometheans are completely redone, they look and act completely different thanks to Cortana taking over and reshaping them.
Forerunner architecture is simpler and no longer has random bars and floaty bits.
Not open world, but large and open levels where exploration and experimentation are encouraged.
Halo Reach style Grunts and Jackals and Elites that look like they do in Halo Wars 2.
Reach style UNSC aesthetics with Spartans being a mix of styles.
AI that is more fun to fight.

That's all off of the top of my head, anyone else?