• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

f course. Alright, let's breakdown the alternative scenarios that we felt were the most realistic to explore.

• Alternative scenario 1: All console
  • Alternative scenario 2: All PC.
We decided against alternative scenario 1 because we knew for the absolute pinnacle of Halo competition, with millions of dollars on the line, that PC was the platform that's become the standard in esports. We also knew that this was what a lot of players were wanting especially after running MCC tournaments on PC.

Alternative scenario 2 was the other scenario we spent the most time working on and was our first idea of what we wanted to go with. After months and months of deliberation and consultation with Esports Engine (who we worked with hand in hand), we decided that at the scale we were looking to run these open events, logistics would not allow us to go all PC. It's important to keep in mind that these are fully open events with hundreds and hundreds of machines for players to compete on. When we have to factor in managing all of the hardware and parts (some of which may be damaged during shipping from event to event), the increased number of variables that come into play on PC (software and hardware), drivers, networking configurations and much more, we realized that the potential for issues to arise and the event to get massively delayed and behind schedule was far too great to risk.

You might be wondering, "Well Tashi, what about DreamHack Anaheim 2020, that was all PC wasn't it?". Yes, it was, and that provided very valuable information for us. Ultimately that was a 64-team open bracket on Halo: Reach and we're hoping to more than triple that for major Halo Infinite LAN events. With an Xbox Series X, there are significantly fewer variables, and from an operation standpoint we have full confidence that the event will be run smoothly, and it will be a great tournament experience.

Alright Tashi, that all makes sense. How's it going to work for the open bracket teams who have to transition from Xbox Series X to PC?

Great question and one that's important to us because we knew it was going to be one of the more unorthodox parts of the experience. It's worth noting that Halo Infinite will run at 120fps on the Xbox Series X which is twice the framerate as Halo 5. This will be without question the best, most competitive console Halo experience ever. And from a gameplay perspective, there are no differences. The maps are the same, the modes are the same, the mechanics are the same, etc. To accommodate for players coming from the open bracket, they will be given an allotment of time and exclusive access to warmup PCs before jumping into their next matches to quickly acclimate.

Yet another war has waged on for decades in gaming and that's the one of Mouse & Keyboard vs Controller. Once again, however, our aim is not to arbitrarily try to settle the score and just pick one over the other. Our aim is to be as inclusive as possible to grow the competitive community around the world. Because of that, we are going to allow players to compete on controller or mouse and keyboard regardless of platform. This means you might see entire teams on controller, entire teams on MKB, or teams with mixed MKB and controller players. We will also allow for MKB players to play on the Xbox Series X at live events if they're in the open bracket. For those who didn't compete in Halo because it wasn't available on PC and was controller only – we welcome you with open arms and wish you the best of luck in the scene.

We're so excited to see this entirely new dynamic come into play, Halo esports will never be the same again. As always but especially now with so many new elements, we will be watching how the scene develops and how the tournaments unfold to ensure competitive integrity is maintained.

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
After playing the tech build I understand where they are coming from and it feels that way. Aiming is less gluey as previous titles, and the gameplay feels like both cracked controller players and cracked PC players may be approaching a close middle-ground.

I was snapping target to target with my mouse and keyboard, but the gameplay felt similar in many ways when I was on the XSX. More tweaking will happen for sure, but the game does feel like they've had this in mind. 120HZ mode on this game even in this tech build was astounding, 120FOV as well. Would only look forward to more controller settings for aiming curves, I'm a big fan of low deadzone, no look acceleration, fast sens gameplay when I use a controller.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
The aim assist in Infinite seems to be very toned down compared to many other games so I'm actually alright with this for once (and I'm usually really against putting controller players and MnKB players together in competitive modes/competition). Very excited to see where Halo esports goes with such a huge player pool to pull from!

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
This is wild. Uncharted territory for a game's competitive scene. I think Halo is very generous with aim assist in general, but I'm hearing Infinite toned it down a bit. It'll be very interesting to see how this ends up playing out.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Lan event

If you're a pro player that starts an event weekend from pool play where you compete on mainstage and featured stations, you'll be playing on PC. If you're a player competing in the open bracket, you'll be playing on the Xbox Series X. If you're a player that makes it out of the open bracket and into pool play and/or championship bracket, you'll be transitioning to PC mid-event.

BradC00

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems kind of bonkers that ranked will be segregated between input if they are allowing cross input comp play...did they walk that back?

Freedonia

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good, only odd thing is that the in-game ranked mode will be split. Aim assist and game design really smoothes out the divide between inputs

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
They do. In MCC.

This is for ESports.
No no, im saying that I really like the Halo implementation. As a PC player that uses a controller I would like to face only controller users. Meanwhile Destiny 2 don' t do this. The upcoming crossplay will be locked to the respective platforms. Its frustating for me to play against mouse and keyboard players.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
No no, im saying that I really like the Halo implementation. As a PC player that uses a controller I would like to face only controller users. Meanwhile Destiny 2 don' t do this. The upcoming crossplay will be locked to the respective platforms. Its frustating for me to play against mouse and keyboard players.
No the matchmaking will be input based.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
No the matchmaking will be input based.
Yes, for Halo. But im comparing and referring to Destiny 2 (yes completely off topic, but Bungie and all) and is the other game that I really like.

Basically im praising the Halo implementation (input based) and complaining about the Destiny 2 that will not be input based, but platform based locking away the PC players even when they utilize a controller.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
This is a bad idea and will never be balanced. The competitive scene will basically be at the whim of the current balance of aim assist which is what happened in Fortnite as well.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Was a bit surprised at the mid-event switch for those who make it through the open bracket, but that makes a lot more sense as I read further. Ability to use either input method across both means there shouldn't be much in the way of transition. Having basically the founders of the Halo esports scene working on this is great though.
Alternative scenario 3: Why not both but separate?
Because then you're running two separate tournaments without a singular winner and can't really crown a champion of the event. This also doesn't solve their logistics issues pointed out in the article.

Oct 27, 2017
No no, im saying that I really like the Halo implementation. As a PC player that uses a controller I would like to face only controller users. Meanwhile Destiny 2 don' t do this. The upcoming crossplay will be locked to the respective platforms. Its frustrating for me to play against mouse and keyboard players.
dude i played d1 and d2 for 6 years on ps4 and finally got a new pc last year and got it on steam... i use a controller 100% of the time too many hours playing this game with a ds4 controller... and i tbh see no difference in pvp on pc and ps4 other than fov and fps.... i bet most play with controller.. the pc verison has perfect support if you turn off the controller in the games options in steam... works just like console. the aim assist with a controller in insane on destiny 2 compared to M&K which is 0 i think.. I was afraid at first too thought i would suck really bad i just will never be able to play d2 with a M&K.... but yeah would be cool to have an option but that is just going to make the match making slower... on the 24th crossplay is coming so MM should be waay faster. I will say Crossplay is cool and all but it should 100% be able to turn it off on consoles... I quit warzone because of that.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
this will be interesting, curious to see how this pans out and what the split will be when it comes to events.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
There is no world where this is going to work well. If the pad is competitive KB players will riot, and if it isn't no-one will use a pad.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, for Halo. But im comparing and referring to Destiny 2 (yes completely off topic, but Bungie and all) and is the other game that I really like.

Basically im praising the Halo implementation (input based) and complaining about the Destiny 2 that will not be input based, but platform based locking away the PC players even when they utilize a controller.
Oh my bad, I misread your post.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
There is no world where this is going to work well. If the pad is competitive KB players will riot, and if it isn't no-one will use a pad.
Yup, and their attempts to balance it for both will negatively impact the game play with a mouse as well.

If they're going to use the mouse they need to embrace it and balance the game around it but they're not going to do that because the main audience is on console.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They are mixing mouse players and controller players together? How is this fair

they better turn aim assist way up because there's nothing I hate more than playing against mice when I use a controller

Last edited:

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
This can work fine. Apex is actually pretty balanced when it comes to this. Lots of good Apex players play in controller for pc and same with keyboard and mouse. Aim Assist is toned down for Infinite compared to Halo MCC. Good news really.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Always funny where you look the opinion is different. One side says controller is at a disadvantage against M&K because easier to aim etc.
But if you go in reddit/pcgaming. They opinion is that M&K are at a disadvantage because of aim assist on controller. The answer always lays in the middle.

EXXo

Nov 12, 2019
Manchester
Work in esports fulltime, this is a good move tbh.

Halo will live or die from its competitive scene as it still has one of the most active esports scenes to date, bold move but great not alienating a platform from competing.

Had a ton of halo players and outside of the halo circle asking me if they should buy a PC or Series X|S to compete and what the format will be like.

Great 343 have clarified and its an excellent step

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Work in esports fulltime, this is a good move tbh.

Halo will live or die from its competitive scene as it still has one of the most active esports scenes to date, bold move but great not alienating a platform from competing.

Had a ton of halo players and outside of the halo circle asking me if they should buy a PC or Series X|S to compete and what the format will be like.

Great 343 have clarified and its an excellent step
Yeah. Probably was a big factor also

We had so much to consider in this decision including player experience, tournament experience, as well as our partners in the ecosystem such as Teams and Tournament Operators.