• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The more you watch the more details you notice, it really is quite impressive but looks much simpler at a glance, youtube. I mean just because it's not a overly complex area or art doesn't mean it looks average, I think that's what people are seeing. There is so much subtlety that say Last of Us 2 has but because your looking at a one note tin can and a green armoured space marine it doesn't really pop like a natural environment would. The clean and clear look of graphics looks amazing, there is a ridiculous amount of detail there but it's not messy or overkill which I think is a very wise choice. Can't wait for the multiplayer with this direction and the campaign reveal. Even watch the original reveal trailer, it's the same clean and clear graphics and the environment looks fantastic.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
I liked how this looked. Alot. I was less of a fan of random pilot being some kind of emotional connection for the player. Obviously we'll have to see how it plays out but having Arbiter or Halsey find Chief adrift in space would've meant more to me personally. It would've accomplished the same thing with a character we already have a connection with. With the pilot, I just kind of shrugged at the whole beginning part.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Maybe. Lol I just watched that Gears 5 cutscene and I think that game looks every bit as good as Halo Infinite. Halo definitely looks good. I'm just not seeing what's "next gen" about it.
Look at the OP. That zoomed in picture of his had on his straps. There isn't a single game on current hardware that looks that detailed.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about it looks like it can't run on Xbox One now?

It will run on Xbox One. Will it look precisely like that? We'll do everything we can to optimize to each platform - and the new engine was rearchitected from the ground up specifically to eke performance from the base specs better than we currently can, but also to scale up without the artificial ceilings that the old tech had intrinsically - so of course it's going to look better on Scarlett and some crazy Ryzen PC, but our intention, from the metal up is to treat the existing Xbox One as a first class citizen in a way we couldn't even in Halo 5.

Last E3 we sort of metaphorically showed earlier engine and game elements through a telescope from the distance - and this year, deliberately intimate and though a magnifying glass. Our game is very much something that happens outside the frosty glass of that Pelican in a large and expansive way - but we also want to tell modern stories where people become important parts of the stakes and where detail can be explored and examined as well as lived in.

Our associate creative director, who's building the narrative tools worked previously on the Batman Arkham games and part of his philosophy is letting players move seamlessly from character drama to epic scale action so that the contrasts in scale add to your experience - and the design of armors and more taking inspiration from the legacy games is just a part of the approach for Infinite, we're also committed to reliving the sensation of the moment from Halo CE, where you emerge from the crashed Bumblebee escape pod - but really you're emerging from the claustrophobic tunnels and hallways of the Pillar of Autumn and traditional shooters, into the sunlight of this wide open new space and all its potential and new ways to attack and explore it - which at the time was new for a console FPS and really the promise of the game all the way back to Steve Jobs' announcement back at Macworld 1999.

We want to get players into the mindset where instead of saying, "Did you see the part where Chief did X...?" and back to those beter conversations that start with, "Did YOU get to X scenario yet? And how did YOU beat it?" I always think Halo is best when some of the most exciting stories are the ones that the player has created within the opportunities and universe afforded by the plot and the furniture of its sci-fi sandbox. That's also one of the reasons the MC as a character has so many different subjective interpretations. To some players he's just a suit you wear and to others he's Ulysses or John-117. The way they set about playing the game hardens those conceptions, which is fine. True of MP to a certain extent too, especially in bigger sandbox modes.

Edit. Here's Chris Lee talking in a liitle more depth about approach.

www.halowaypoint.com

Discover Hope

<p>E3 is an exciting time for the entire video game industry, but for our team at 343 Industries it also marks a new beginning. Last year we unveiled a first look at Halo Infinite and a glimpse of our new Slipspace Engine; built from the ground up to power the future of our game. This […]</p>

Last edited:

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Underwhelming but maybe it'll turn out well.
The only thing underwhelming about the Halo showing was the fact it didn't show any gameplay. As far as cutscenes go, you can't really ask for better to hype the game, it did its job well.

Graphics, sound and setting. Now the one year wait for gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
It will run on Xbox One. Will it look precisely like that? We'll do everything we can to optimize to each platform - and the new engine was rearchitected from the ground up specifically to eke performance from the base specs better than we currently can, but also to scale up without the artificial ceilings that the old tech had intrinsically - so of course it's going to look better on Scarlett and some crazy Ryzen PC, but our intention, from the metal up is to treat the existing Xbox One as a first class citizen in a way we couldn't even in Halo 5.

Last E3 we sort of metaphorically showed earlier engine and game elements through a telescope from the distance - and this year, deliberately intimate and though a magnifying glass. Our game is very much something that happens outside the frosty glass of that Pelican in a large and expansive way - but we also want to tell modern stories where people become important parts of the stakes and where detail can be explored and examined as well as lived in.

Our associate creative director, who's building the narrative tools worked previously on the Batman Arkham games and part of his philosophy is letting players move seamlessly from character drama to epic scale action so that the contrasts in scale add to your experience - and the design of armors and more taking inspiration from the legacy games is just a part of the approach for Infinite, we're also committed to reliving the sensation of the moment from Halo CE, where you emerge from the crashed Bumblebee escape pod - but really you're emerging from the claustrophobic tunnels and hallways of the Pillar of Autumn and traditional shooters, into the sunlight of this wide open new space and all its potential and new ways to attack and explore it - which at the time was new for a console FPS and really the promise of the game all the way back to Steve Jobs' announcement back at Macworld 1999.

We want to get players into the mindset where instead of saying, "Did you see the part where Chief did X...?" and back to those beter conversations that start with, "Did YOU get to X scenario yet? And how did YOU beat it?" I always think Halo is best when some of the most exciting stories are the ones that the player has created within the opportunities and universe afforded by the plot and the furniture of its sci-fi sandbox. That's also one of the reasons the MC as a character has so many different subjective interpretations. To some players he's just a suit you wear and to others he's Ulysses or John-117. The way they set about playing the game hardens those conceptions, which is fine. True of MP to a certain extent too, especially in bigger sandbox modes.

Ooh...nice. Bookmarked.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

The first macworld demo is exactly what i wanted since i saw it! Sounds promising.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stinkles. Music to my ears. Sounds right on the money for Halo.

I'll be in my Warthog.

giphy.gif

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
You clearly didnt watch this in 4k. Theres no way current gen can make it look that good without a lot of compromises. LOD is off the charts, and this is real time engine stuff. Not a CGI cutscene.

I think people need to start understanding what the difference is between watching a pre rendered cut-scene, and something real time in engine. Its not the same thing even if it sometimes looks the same.
Was it confirmed its in realtime? It only says in engine on the trailer.

OP
OP
space_nut

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

I've never been so excited to jump into a game like this one. I actually first got into Halo from the book! I read Fall of Reach in 2001 before I had my Xbox. After reading that book and going straight into CE was a magical experience like no other. What you guys have shown so far and telling is getting me pumped up to jump into my own "MC" shoes and have countless adventures in SP. I remember spending days just playing SP in CE doing stunts, experiment with new combat scenarios, and just do funny stuff. Bring it on!

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017

The Infinite trailer last year was my favorite part of E3 2018. I love how this game is shaping up. The philosophies of the design team seem to be keenly aware of what they need to do in order to create a great Halo experience. The sandbox elements combined with great FPS action, mythic sci-fi, and great character moments are, to me, what Halo is about.

Visually I thought the footage looked great, and even better on a second viewing. I'm definitely interested to see how actual gameplay turns out. Did the footage in this trailer feature the, just mentioned in the Scarlett teaser right before, ray tracing Stinkles?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

I cant wait for this. I really appreciate those little touches like the weight of the Chief's armour being conveyed.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Thank you for such a detailed explanation. Are you able to share anything at all re: how development "feels" in terms of handling specs for the different hardware? Is it effectively [Base XB1], [XB1X], [Scarlett] as the three targets getting tailored optimization?

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tell me more about those bigger, sandbox, multiplayer modes :)

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

So, you're saying it's all about sandbox player driven experiences.

You might have something there, Groundskeeper Willie.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
You clearly didnt watch this in 4k. Theres no way current gen can make it look that good without a lot of compromises. LOD is off the charts, and this is real time engine stuff. Not a CGI cutscene.

I think people need to start understanding what the difference is between watching a pre rendered cut-scene, and something real time in engine. Its not the same thing even if it sometimes looks the same.
On top on of it also running at 60fps

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Halo is my favorite franchise and I didn't see enough to be whelmed either way. I might've been one of the few who remained apathetic through the video. What makes Halo great (when it's great) is the sandbox. Scale of the sandbox was small in Halo 5 due to going for 60fps. I'll be whelmed one way or another when I can see what the density of the bigger in-game battle sequences looks like along with the physics and AI.

Most jaw dropping things playing Halo:CE for the first time:
- Elite's AI where they would bob and weave from cover to regain shield
- Stepping onto the Halo ring for the first time and looking over the vast world and skybox
- Experiencing the warthog physics as I jumped over terrain for the first time
- Landing on the beach into the middle of an all out battle
- Zooming in on the grass to see how detailed the textures were up close

A large scale battle with evolved physics and more sophisticated AI will impress me.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017

But isn't there a compromise in terms of sheer scale? Like enemy counts and such. It's hard to imagine expansive setpieces with lots of stuff to do after seeing Halo 5. Halo 5 compromised on 60fps by turning enemies into slideshows past 2 meters and the effects were objectively less impressive than Halo 3 or Reach. All in all, I really hope the Xbox One isn't dragging it down by any means.

Ranting aside, Infinite has been in my head non-stop. This is OG Halo, baby!

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
But isn't there a compromise in terms of sheer scale? Like enemy counts and such. It's hard to imagine expansive setpieces with lots of stuff to do after seeing Halo 5. Halo 5 compromised on 60fps by turning enemies into slideshows past 2 meters and the effects were objectively less impressive than Halo 3 or Reach. All in all, I really hope the Xbox One isn't dragging it down by any means.

Ranting aside, Infinite has been in my head non-stop. This is OG Halo, baby!
I have no idea, but if you were to assume they are still limited heavily cpu wise, they could do half rate animations on distant enemies on xbox one but not on scarlett.

To be fair, in comparison to their respective contemporaries halo 5 was much less impressive than something like reach effects wise. This really isn't surprising though as it jumped to 60 fps compared to 30 fps for 3 and reach.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Kinect is back haha. Still getting use. Love when he said "old MS tech" when talking about the Kinect haha

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

I read this after my response...but man, it's awesome to hear! I have to be honest...sometimes I wondered if the current team knew why Halo CE was so great. This response is what everyone who rates CE as their favorite game of all time wants to hear. That change of pace, tone and scale is what made the bigger moments special and quiet ones memorable. Those dynamic sandbox experiences...when you figured something out or something crazy happened that didn't feel like it was supposed to happen the way it did.

Looking forward to seeing what 343 does with the new tools!

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
... wait.. it was that quick ? just watching the trailer again and direct us to read the halowaypoint bulletin?

i thought we were going to get some more info about slipspace. oh boy

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Added this tom my prior note, Chris Lee talking about philosophy for Infinite.

www.halowaypoint.com

Discover Hope

<p>E3 is an exciting time for the entire video game industry, but for our team at 343 Industries it also marks a new beginning. Last year we unveiled a first look at Halo Infinite and a glimpse of our new Slipspace Engine; built from the ground up to power the future of our game. This […]</p>

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
What about it looks like it can't run on Xbox One now?
The lig

Edit. Here's Chris Lee talking in a liitle more depth about approach.

www.halowaypoint.com

Discover Hope

Thank you for this. I can't wait to see all the work going into such an experience.