• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Those below are all screenshots I directly grabbed from my Xbox Series X build (4K/60 - Quality Mode):

RZWTW2M.jpg

NT5gZ0T.jpg

rYtjqiC.jpg

XJfmvp9.jpg

ZZzJ5ZM.jpg

8GrQOk6.jpg

2BpJNoB.jpg

e319S5W.jpg

HhjJlZv.jpg

K01kLvV.jpg

jzrVPvF.jpg

uDGW1hJ.jpg

Kejz3gx.jpg

Zpwo3L3.jpg

VO1KFJZ.jpg

LxRyUal.jpg

bzLWyTt.jpg

iRCb09Z.jpg

02u2SN8.jpg

XmwE5wm.jpg

p2o06U2.jpg

lEpDIra.jpg

e2rDxs7.jpg

11KYysU.jpg

8bS5VkO.jpg

W3E9K2t.jpg

xYAxkFC.jpg

wGjnshY.jpg

ZxVFcS9.jpg

wYJWMfq.jpg

This is an early John Linneman impression from DF:

which was exactly my first thought when I first played it yesterday.

We basically already have in our hands a giant graphics/visual upgrade over the infamous 2020 Campaign Demo and this is only a Multiplayer Beta, which historically has always been scaled down compared to all final Halo Campaigns in the past, opening to a strong possibility of further visual enhancements we still have yet to see there.

Combining this to a new, Open World scale for Campaign gameplay and "one-cut" in-game cinematics (ala God of War 2018) makes me SO HYPED for Halo Infinite as a whole package right now.
The game also plays great, sounds flawless and I hadn't so much fun in MP since Halo 3 era.

My only big let down for now is the Co-Op cut for 3 months :(

What do you think?

EDIT:

-Series X is Dynamic 4K @ locked 60fps or Dynamic 1440p @ almost locked 120fps;
-Series S is Dynamic 1080p @ locked 60fps (120fps temporarily disabled);
-One X is Dynamic 4K/30 or Dynamic 1440p/60;
-OG One is Dynamic 1080p/30.

Huge improvement over last year Demo, big praise on textures work on all platforms but with increased resolution on One X and Series X, as well as better shadows, ambient occlusion, anisotropic filtering, geometry and draw distance.
Contact shades only on Series.
Great SSR reflections and cubemaps on all except OG One.

Loading times 6x faster on Series.
Framerate seems much better than first TP, especially on OG One.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
It is how Alex from DF said... Infinite was never a bad looking game, the lighting in the demo just made all the high quality textures look flat.

My big worry is pop-in, I realized in the tech preview that pop-in is really bad unless you turn all the relevant settings to Ultra, even on High I was getting shadows flickering and not popping in until I was really close, was really jarring. Bazaar had the most shadows popping in and Live Fire/Recharge had a ton of assets popping in until I put all the settings at Ultra, hopefully they can optimize that more.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
And this is not even final lighting, which makes me excited for how the release product will be like.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We basically already have in our hands a giant graphics/visual upgrade over the infamous 2020 Campaign Demo and this is only a Multiplayer Beta, which historically has always been scaled down compared to all final Halo Campaigns in the past, opening to a strong possibility of further visual enhancements we still have yet to see there.

Combining this to a new, Open World scale for Campaign gameplay and "one-cut" in-game cinematics (ala God of War 2018) makes me SO HYPED for Halo Infinite as a whole package right now.

I wonder if the Open-World will mean Multiplayer looks better this time than the campaign due to less to show etc.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that original stuff they showed was no where close to release but they told people it was coming soon. This is what a triple A game should look like. I still can't believe that they might have actually released the original version

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm actually optimistic that the campaign will have some impressive visuals even by todays standards…which is crazy to say given what the game once looked like.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
It is how Alex from DF said... Infinite was never a bad looking game, the lighting in the demo just made all the high quality textures look flat. My big worry is pop-in, I realized in the tech preview that pop-in is really bad unless you turn all the relevant settings to Ultra, even high I was getting shadows flickering and not popping in until I was really close, was really jarring.
They've not just tweaked the lighting. It's almost as everything was "remastered" in 1 year (lighting, shadows, ambient occlusion, vegetation, ground and environment textures, metal shaders, scratched surfaces, HUD animations, pop-in/pop-up is gone, motion blur and so much more).
And, as I stated, this is just a MP Beta!

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
God I can't wait to see how the campaign looks. I hope that it's just as expansive and explorative as the concept art made it out to be. And, stuff like dynamic wind and lighting in the settings has me excited for the final game's visuals and effects (even though it looks fantastic already).

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
It looks significantly better than what we saw before, but I am worried that the campaign will not look as good as the MP and that is why they have not shown much of it.

Also the campaign maps people have explored in the flight show a lot of the same LOD pop in... but that that as it is since we were never meant to see that stuff yet anyway.

One thing I am really happy about is in this update performance at 30 FPS seems better, and while you have to reset it each game, the performance mode looks not much worse than quality mode on the One X.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
We got a tiny snippet of campaign footage in the August update, I know its not exactly the best way to check it out but I would say its looking beautiful outside of some pop-in. Honestly one the best looking games on next-gen for me, I love this aesthetic.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I think Live Fire could use an additional art pass. I just don't find it aesthetically pleasing like the other maps. I think the actual playable space is fine but the immediate surrounding area is drab. There's a lack of ground flora on the trees, maybe some volumetric fog or lighting tweaks could help as well. Every other map looks good.

One thing that NEEDS to be improved overall are the effects. Explosions lack the great H2A/3 bloom and are generally lackluster. The plasma pistol bolt has no dynamic green lighting on the environment. I miss the gold tint and brightness of shield flares as well hopefully when we can disable enemy outlines we'll also have the gold shields back. There's also a lack of blood splatter on the environment despite having good sprays while shooting someone this is a series from the early aughts embrace your roots and add some blood.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I think Live Fire could use an additional art pass. I just don't find it aesthetically pleasing like the other maps. I think the actual playable space is fine but the immediate surrounding area is drab. There's a lack of ground flora on the trees, maybe some volumetric fog or lighting tweaks could help as well. Every other map looks good.

One thing that NEEDS to be improved overall are the effects. Explosions lack the great H2A/3 bloom and are generally lackluster. The plasma pistol bolt has no dynamic green lighting on the environment. I miss the gold tint and brightness of shield flares as well hopefully when we can disable enemy outlines we'll also have the gold shields back. There's also a lack of blood splatter on the environment despite having good sprays while shooting someone this is a series from the early aughts embrace your roots and add some blood.
I agree on explosions.
I think Halo 2 Anniversary explosions and fire/smoke effects are way better, so I hope they will improve them for launch (a lot of people complained about them).

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
The only thing that matters. Did they fix the fruits? 🤣

Just kiddin, it does looks really good. The artists that worked on the textures must be proud.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the menu UI being used is placeholder, it's fucking horrific and so basic.
Given how bad the font and text was in Halo 4 and Guardians I'm guessing not, but I can hope.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I hope the menu UI being used is placeholder, it's fucking horrific and so basic.
Given how bad the font and text was in Halo 4 and Guardians I'm guessing not, but I can hope.
I also agree with that.
I still find Reach UI/UX the best Halo ever had so far. They should just copy/paste it in 4K and with new models, lol

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Have they mentioned when we're getting campaign gameplay trailer? I'd imagine soon given the game releases in 2 months.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question, are you able to your own legs/feet when you look down like in the previous games?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Have they mentioned when we're getting campaign gameplay trailer? I'd imagine soon given the game releases in 2 months.
Staten just mentioned we will have new Campaign trailers and gameplay "closer to launch" and after current "shutdown mode".
I guess end October, early November. For sure by Halo CE 20th Anniversary (November 15th).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They said they were in "shutdown" mode now. Kinda last phase and then would start to show everything. Cant blame them. They wanna show it again really when its done and not done with still some stuff missing.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm. I thought the first beta looked ok, this time it looks great. Big leap.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're refusing to make a vertical slice because it takes away from actual development. I would expect something when the game is gold.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be going in fresh, cannot wait to play it. Looks night and day compared to last year.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Not really digging the sound effects, 343 has this whole weak "plink plink" atmosphere to the human weapons that it seems they kept judging by a quick look at some YT footage posted ITT.

Will of course reserve final judgement for release.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care much about actual resolution and that kind of stuff, but I'm very pleased with the visual clarity and the overall art style of the game.

My only complaint, visual wise, is the player outline and shield system. Feel like that could be a lot better.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Yes it looks amazing. Im on a Series S and it looks and plays flawlessly on my CX48.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Insofar as the lighting, shadow maps and Ambient Occlusion is concerned, static time of day allows for higher fidelity result for a given amount of processing power over dynamic ToD (which is what the campaign is supposed to have) given RT for generating shadows is not involved.

No doubt a year's worth of extra time will (and in MP, 'already has') yield improvements over initial showing.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
It's a fantastic looking game and it's insane how well the graphics hold up even on the absolute minimum spec that will run this game. I was just testing out some stuff in training mode because I was wondering how they are doing their reflections and the foliage shadows as it didn't appear to have the usual screen space artifacts that are associated with the more widely used solutions. The reflections on Xbox One are cube maps but not just any random ass cube maps that show entirely different scenery, this is almost on the same level as what Naughty Dog did for The Last of Us 2. Which means indivdual cube maps based on the environment where the reflective surface is placed. It's not as accurate as TLOU2 but it's damn close, I could even spot the reflection of a little red warning sign next to a door.

My guess is that they will use this as a fall back solution and layer screen space reflections on top if this on hardware that isn't the original Xbox One or Xbox One S. If they keep up this level of robustness and detail in the single player campaign, which will likely have tons of puddles, large bodies of water or other reflective surfaces, that means they will have put in a ton of work in order to not break the immersion with screen space artifacts. It's also interesting that a more powerful platforms supposed fall back solution is robust enough to allow its use as the main solution for reflective surfaces on last gen hardware.

As for micro shadows on foliage, I have no idea how they are doing it. I got really close to it and tried to provoke the usual behavior that would cause a screen space solution to break but it didn't happen. The game has dynamic FOV so maybe the cut off point is off screen on my current standard FOV, if you push the FOV to the maximum and watch the edges of the screen and it doesn't fade out that probably means it's not a screen space solution. Now with training mode I'd love for Digital Foundry to take another shot at this because now they can analyize the game while being left alone.

EDIT: Yeah it's using screen space shadows, I just tested it in the worst possible spot before but now it's pretty clear.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the art style does a good amount of the lifting too. It's the best since Halo 3.

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
I was very surprised with how good it looked and ran (in performance mode) on my Xbox One X

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Its gorgeous.
It's almost like the footage from last year was from an early build made while everyone was working from home in a pandemic. Crazy!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Its gorgeous.
It's almost like the footage from last year was from an early build made while everyone was working from home in a pandemic. Crazy!
yeah but by early build it meant some time in June for the July showcase... that's still ~4-5 months until it had to "go gold" and significant changes like the ones seen over the past year would not have made the cut. The delay and refocusing based on feedback has done wonders. Plus they're still working from home, mostly.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's crazy how amazing it looks on a series x now especially considering it's a cross gen game.

I wonder how the Xbox one version looks and runs.