• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Some mod has a meltdown when they were convinced the series was all about circumcision.
Don't mean to derail, it was just the first thought that came to my head. If you're curious though:

My memory might be off, but from what I recall of it. Silent Hill wiki had an administrator that was big into anti-circumcision conspiracy theories, and inserted theories about how the Silent Hill games are suggesting circumcision-related trauma in the theory section of the wiki. When this was called out, they went berserk and started inserting it all over, which turned out to include other wikis, since the admin actually ran of a ton of them.
I uhhh dunno what I expected, wow.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Auschwitz was a good time

what kind of dumbass name is that..absolutely disgusting.

I mean considering how one of Eco's defining features of fascism was the whole "not giving a shit about honesty or the rules as they stand" thing, there's not a dividing line between "genuine" fascism vs. fascism expressed in an ironic manner; all fascism is ironic until it isn't. In a sense, a statement like "Auschwitz was a joke that went too far" is both ironic and a genuine statement of fascist ideals.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I believe so, though they may have spotted the discussions and put pressure on Halo Nation to shut the discord down. Postums for example is in almost every Halo community discord.

Now that we've been made aware of this server's handwaving for bigotry, 343 must act. They should make a statement to that effect. Tacit endorsement, even in ignorance, of this kind of community is unacceptable. Having their names featured alongside that conversation, in tandem with the Discord admin's excusing it as an "edgy joke," demands more than ignoring this.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
It's really sad, but it's just the reality of the internet. There are so many disgusting people out there, and the anonymity that the internet gives people just really brings out the absolute worst in them. Clearly this stuff needs to be shut down whenever possible, but unfortunately it just pops up again somewhere else. It's because of disgusting human beings that I despise online game lobbies and proxy chat.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt this also Anti-Muslim?
Yes but I figured Racist covers that pretty well.

Now that we've been made aware of this server's handwaving for bigotry, 343 must act. They should leave the server and make a statement to that effect. Even tacit endorsement of this kind of bigotry isn't acceptable. Having their names featured alongside that conversation, in tandem with the Discord admin's excusing it as an "edgy joke," demands more than ignoring this.
The Server was deleted, the OP covers that.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Now that we've been made aware of this server's handwaving for bigotry, 343 must act. They should leave the server and make a statement to that effect. Tacit endorsement of this kind of community. Having their names featured alongside that conversation, in tandem with the Discord admin's excusing it as an "edgy joke," demands more than ignoring this.

the thread says the server was nuked so...? but i think this does bring in the question as to whether or not it's smart for 343 employees to be in so many fan discord servers that 343 doesm't moderate themselves. seems like it's just asking for trouble.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
the thread says the server was nuked so...? but i think this does bring in the question as to whether or not it's smart for 343 employees to be in so many fan discord servers that 343 doesm't moderate themselves. seems like it's just asking for trouble.

It's not so much that they were there that's the issue for me, but that they make the appropriate response when shit like this does happen. Good on them for being proactive in the community. But this type of behavior can't be ignored. Especially as community leads, it's important to say that this type of behavior isn't acceptable in the Halo community.

Cranster Alucrid Thanks for the correction, I edited my comment to be more accurate.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Now that we've been made aware of this server's handwaving for bigotry, 343 must act. They should make a statement to that effect. Tacit endorsement, even in ignorance, of this kind of community is unacceptable. Having their names featured alongside that conversation, in tandem with the Discord admin's excusing it as an "edgy joke," demands more than ignoring this.
Halo as a rather large and vocal group of people who would take issue with any sort of statement. There's lots of us who would wish 343 would take a stand on more issues such as this, in particular the LGBTQ community who over a series of events has never really gotten public support from 343. That's not to say 343 hasn't done anything, at times they have done things behind the scenes to make people of that group feel welcome. Luckily the last time a big halo community member made a public mess bashing trans people, the community response was pretty swift in condemning them, and the community remains pretty LGBTQ friendly as a result of both the community and 343's actions.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Was this an ongoing problem or did some group just go in and shit it up today? All the screenshots are from conversation "today" and are just the same two people going back and forth.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Was this an ongoing problem or did some group just go in and shit it up today? All the screenshots are from conversation "today" and are just the same two people going back and forth.
Small group of people in a community that never had a problem with the behavior being accepted regularly, until one of the admins had enough and deleted it after apparently being fed up with it.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Small group of people in a community that never had a problem with the behavior being accepted regularly, until one of the admins had enough and deleted it after apparently being fed up with it.

Having read the replies on Reddit it doesn't seem like it was happening regularly at all, though I'm not sure I buy the 'they're not racist/facist' if that's where they go for their 'edgy jokes'

People keep saying it was something that happened rarely and only a select group doing it. Seems like the question should be why weren't they gone or told their shitty 'edgy jokes' weren't acceptable ages ago?

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do Halo fans continue to be some of the shittiest people.

Embarrassed to be considered part of the fanbase tbh.
I'll never understand this, shit like this goes on everywhere. Do you say this every time something like this happens involving a community? A bigger community has more of a chance to have some bad apples, who would of thought.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
As a Muslim myself I feel sorry for people with this kinda behavior or any behavior regarding racism and discrimination.

It's so sad.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Having read the replies on Reddit it doesn't seem like it was happening regularly at all, though I'm not sure I buy the 'they're not racist/facist' if that's where they go for their 'edgy jokes'

People keep saying it was something that happened rarely and only a select group doing it. Seems like the question should be why weren't they gone or told their shitty 'edgy jokes' weren't acceptable ages ago?
The behavior and atmosphere there was bad enough to the extent that it and other things were allowed regularly enough it had a reputation of not being a very nice place. The fact admin and culture there didn't do anything about the behaviors, is what gave it that reputation it would seem.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand this, shit like this goes on everywhere. Do you say this every time something like this happens involving a community? A bigger community has more of a chance to have some bad apples, who would of thought.

Denying that it's a problem in a specific community because it is a problem elsewhere as well is really useless and suppresses self reflection.

The Halo community has notably a lot of "bad apples", with some of the biggest youtubers in the Halo sphere being GGers.

Unikraken

Jan 21, 2018
Denying that it's a problem in a specific community because it is a problem elsewhere as well is really useless and suppresses self reflection.

The Halo community has notably a lot of "bad apples", with some of the biggest youtubers in the Halo sphere being GGers.

There are certainly some turds, but there are also a bunch of really great people. I interact with them all the time and the "bad actors" are just loud and attentive.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are certainly some turds, but there are also a bunch of really great people. I interact with them all the time and the "bad actors" are just loud and attentive.

Of course there are great people, but that doesn't undo the toxicity that is a problem within the Halo community.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Halopedia and Halo Nation respond
unknown.png