• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, being bad at a skill based game does indeed feel like shit.
It's not about being bad. Jumping in classic Halo just feels a bit crap, it's way too floaty. Clamber just generally makes movement feel smoother.

Also, thinking about it, I'd argue that clamber doesn't reduce the skill gap at all. The most significant effect clamber has on the skill gap is to lower the skill floor which is absolutely a good thing. But despite that H5 isn't lacking skill jumps at all, if anything the skill gap with H5's movement is higher than any other Halo. Clamber makes the game easier for lower skilled players whilst still allowing for high skilled players to pull off some crazy moves.

I can agree with the complaints about how it forces you to lower your weapon, but in terms of skill gap clamber is a good thing.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Clamber only adds to player frustration in my opinion. There's this one janky spot on Plaza that never works right. It puts your weapon down, which is always annoying if you're clambering up to a spot and a player you didn't know is there. Then it can ruin map design, look at Riptide where there's way too much emphasis on clamber.

Anyway if I had to pick one Spartan ability to stay it would be thruster. I also like ground pound, which to me is just another way to humiliate players like the assassination. It's telegrphed, if you die it's your fault.

This is all true about clamber. As it is now, I feel like I'm being penalized by map design.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't intentionally design spots that require clamber to access. If they must include clamber, it should be a tool for recovering miss jumped or shortening lifts - that way the not having your gun ready is a executional tradeoff.

I'd make some tweaks to thruster, but it's not it's not a deal breaker. Same with GP. Stabilize is actually cool, I just wish it wasn't tied to zoom. Sprint's the only thing I'm vehemently opposed to.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about being bad. Jumping in classic Halo just feels a bit crap, it's way too floaty. Clamber just generally makes movement feel smoother.

Also, thinking about it, I'd argue that clamber doesn't reduce the skill gap at all. The most significant effect clamber has on the skill gap is to lower the skill floor which is absolutely a good thing. But despite that H5 isn't lacking skill jumps at all, if anything the skill gap with H5's movement is higher than any other Halo. Clamber makes the game easier for lower skilled players whilst still allowing for high skilled players to pull off some crazy moves.

I can agree with the complaints about how it forces you to lower your weapon, but in terms of skill gap clamber is a good thing.

Disagree.

It lowers the skill floor, but also lowers the skill ceiling. Of Those "crazy" moves you see skilled players pull off, clamber isn't part of the craziness. When it comes time to clamber- they just hold the jump button and the game takes over. There's no depth to it, no timing or strict positioning. The skill comes from the spring jumping, and knowing where and how to thrust-jump certain peices of geometry.

If there was no clamber- and the ledges were lowered as a result, these same jumps would be just as "crazy" if not crazier, because players would be able to do them without looking at them, and whilst shooting at other players.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
6PhtJqU.png

MCC Insiders check your inbox, the time is NOW SPARTANS ASSEMBLE!

So happy to be part of the community program to help fix MCC I actually have experience as a videogames tester so this should be great

P.S remember DON'T post any images or videos

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't received an email don't forget to see the spam folder also check the insider hub app on your xbox or search for official xbox live messages on your GT to see if there is anything over there

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
This is a tough way to find out Frankie hates us, but here we are.

I guess my 27 days played wasn't good enough. :(

Yeah, 725 hours for me (+ all achievements, so your arguments are invalid) and nothing over here. No E-Mail, no Xbox message and no option to join via Insider Hub.

Was pretty sure that I didn't hit the requirement, though. Ever since that infinite "Synching Profile" bug started to happen with the MCC on my Xbox One X, I couldn't even play the damn game. lol

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got an invite, nicee. Glad to see real Halo fans are getting in. You know, the ones who actually play Halo and not just talk about it ;b
Can you explain what "classic Halo" means? I see this term thrown around a lot but rarely do people actually indicate what they mean. Do you just want a re-skin of Halo 1? Do you want a new Halo with no sprint?

If I want to play old Halo I can go back and play MCC. I appreciate the clear mistakes made in Halo 4 and some in Halo 5 when it came to introducing new mechanics, but I feel they are very close to what a modern Halo should be, in MP. I don't want them to go all the way back and remove things like thrust or clamber because I feel like it adds to the gameplay in a meaningful way.

Repeating you want classic Halo over and over again doesn't help anyone without some actual explanation. My man Unknown as well as many folks here post detailed posts on what can be done to fix the MP. I'm not as savvy when it comes to that stuff so I tend to read more rather than throw my two cents in when I don't know what I'm talking about.
Funny, I was just going to ask him that same thing. At this point, we should just make a doc of what people define their ideal Halo as lol.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Classic Halo means methodical gameplay flow, clean controls, minimal intrusion of superfluous shenanigans, and a style where everything doesn't need to be angry and menacing.

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Classic Halo for me it's the return to the original focus of combat which is 3 things: weapons, grenades and melee no armor abilities, symmetrical 4vs4 arena maps with power weapons and power ups big maps for vehicle fights, alien mysterious ancient worlds

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I think when people say classic Halo, they at least mean no sprint or other abilities.

For me- this quote I just stole from TB rings true

Simple mechanics with strategic depth are the road to success.
those are the qualities that defined Halo CE to me. Concepts like Equal starts & weapons-on-map play into that.

Since CE, Most attempts at "evolving" halo either complicated mechanics or removed depth- but i'd say Reach, 4 and 5 have done so to an exponentially greater extent than 2 and 3. So 3 is where I say the classic era ended.

I think some abilities COULD be implemented in a way that keeps in line with the mantra, thus still feeling like classic halo, but we haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
just yesterday my fiancé was filling out some wedding stuff, like fun facts to put on a handout at the wedding

she goes, how many games of Halo do you think you've played?
me: ever?
her: yeah like for fun
me: well xbox says I have 75 days of Halo 5 gametime
her: (in shock) WHAT?!?, for all 5 Halos?!
me: ... no, just Halo 5
her: ... well I am not putting that down on this card

shes ashamed of me fam! lol

I later clarified that so much of it is forge time that the number is misleading

not to mention a large majority of that is shooting the shit not even playing and placing trees on the greatest forge map remake ever made on Nokvalanche*

*still not in matchmaking, sad!

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Random sidenote, I'm going to be pissed if they go back to BR starts. All this bickering over classic Halo, if we end up with a game worse than Halo 5, you're going to regret it.

I'd rather we go back to "no sprint" discussions before the wrong idea is thrown around that people want BR starts with sluggish movement, slow weapon switching, clunky animations, shitty grenades, neutered Rockets, etc.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just yesterday my fiancé was filling out some wedding stuff, like fun facts to put on a handout at the wedding

she goes, how many games of Halo do you think you've played?
me: ever?
her: yeah like for fun
me: well xbox says I have 75 days of Halo 5 gametime
her: (in shock) WHAT?!?, for all 5 Halos?!
me: ... no, just Halo 5
her: ... well I am not putting that down on this card

shes ashamed of me fam! lol

I later clarified that so much of it is forge time that the number is misleading

not to mention a large majority of that is shooting the shit not even playing and placing trees on the greatest forge map remake ever made on Nokvalanche*

*still not in matchmaking, sad!

I know that complete-lack-of-halo-at-my-wedding feeling mate. Our invites didn't even have a mention of being the highest ranked/stats H3 objective (playlist) player in Australia for years, silly wife, doesn't she know who I am...

Oct 25, 2017
Random sidenote, I'm going to be pissed if they go back to BR starts. All this bickering over classic Halo, if we end up with a game worse than Halo 5, you're going to regret it.

I'd rather we go back to "no sprint" discussions before the wrong idea is thrown around that people want BR starts with sluggish movement, slow weapon switching, clunky animations, shitty grenades, neutered Rockets, etc.
i agree.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

Yeahhhhh Halo 5 pistol for life. 343i, don't get any funny ideas, we already lambasted your BR tuning. Don't make us destroy you.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

The BR-start arguments are so agonizing. No one can ever begin explain why BR starts are better than anything else. It's always shit like "BRs allow for more fun" or my favorite "BRs are more competitive" I'd rather argument about sprint daily than to have them go back to BRs.

Last edited:

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Hitscan BR in Halo Online kills big team map flow in the same way BR starts in Halo 5 BTB kill map flow.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
*hard to swallow pill meme*

Halo gameplay was better when the guns sucked, the resolution was blurry and we were kids

h3 actually has weapon roles, in modern halo every gun can cross map

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
*hard to swallow pill meme*

Halo gameplay was better when the guns sucked, the resolution was blurry and we were kids

h3 actually has weapon roles, in modern halo every gun can cross map
*Hard to swallow pill meme*
The Blood Gulch and Vahalla bloodlines are bad maps because they allow for cross map fire without map control.

Sidewinder and Longshore on the other hand are master class.

Status
Not open for further replies.