• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will Halo Infinite be revealed?

• Yes, before E3

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Yes, during E3

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Wait, E3 was canceled

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Daisy, Daisy...

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I will not... allow you... to leave. This. PLANET!

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • Halo's just dad.

Votes: 29 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Halo roadmap for success wishlist:

E3 2019:
-Halo 3 Anniversary announced with Blur Starry Night Believe trailer, announce 6 H3 maps for H2A + Armor, Weapons, and Vehicles, Halo Infinite Flight Test access, Blur cinematics; $20 bucks DLC for MCC, but the campaign can be played standalone. This would trigger a lot of excitement from older fans and get Halo back in the conversation.
-MCC will get a year of support of new content for H2A, with more maps, modes, and etc. being added. This will give classic fans some more stuff to play and unlock over time.
- Halo Infinite story tease to close the show, Fall 2020 release

September 2019
- H3A releases
- Weekly or biweekly Infinite info teases in community update begin, ramping up from concept art/screenshots to actual details and footage

November 2019:
- Bimonthly MCC content drop starts, next one in January
- Infinite flight test details

VGAs 2019:
- Halo Infinite gameplay demo for the flight test content, date announced for next month

January 2020:
- Bimonthly MCC content drop, next one in March
- Infinite Flight Test begins for Early Access, Invite Only (Insider Program)

March 2020:
- Second MCC content drop, final one in May
- Second flight insiders accepted

May 2020:
- Final MCC content drop, ends with ODST Firefight added

E3 2020:
- Full fledged Infinite Campaign E3 Demo, main flight test begins, release date dropped for October

Early September 2020:
- Flight Tests wind down, prep for launch

Mid October 2020:
Launch Infinite, begin live service

Badda bing, badda boom

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 anniversary isn't happening. At most we will get Reach brought to MCC along with ODST Firefight.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah don't want resources spent on H3A and crappy networking for outside the USA. As for the content drops you mention, bring it on I say. I'd love some fresh maps for H2A or...work with me here...why not some CE, H2 and H3 maps? Fuck they'd be awesome give the current state of MCC and the lengthy wait to Infinite.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
Halo3 already looks great in 4k/60 in MCC. It would be a waste to put more effort into another version of that game when Reach and ODST frefight could get added.

Add Reach to MCC and release the rest of the H2A MP maps. I dont wanna see another version of Halo3 tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of ways a H3A remaster would look amazing compared to the original (those faces) but yeah, the time has passed and I think they made the right choice to forgo it and work on MCC as is. I definitely hope we get Reach though. They've put so much effort into overhauling the MCC, it'd be a shame if they don't use it as the legacy Halo title like I hoped they would.

H2A getting more maps would be nice. It's fine to play but I never spend that much time in it because of the limited map pool.

I wish they were keeping up Halo 5 updates as well. Kind of sucks that the roadmap for it just ended.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
man, they wont say much at e3 for halo since they need to showcase their gears 5 baby. 2019 is gears focus right?
Gears 5 is basically the only big game Microsoft has for 2019. But I'd suspect we'll still see Halo. They done it before where they've had both on stage, like in 2015 where they opened with H5 and closed with Gears 4.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 is basically the only big game Microsoft has for 2019. But I'd suspect we'll still see Halo. They done it before where they've had both on stage, like in 2015 where they opened with H5 and closed with Gears 4.
i suspect more big games from them, but gears is their baby in 2019. And you're right, gears 5 gameplay segment and end it with some halo infinite trailer that will tease something cool for us.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
MCC and remakes are cool and all but I hope they put all their efforts into making sure that Infinity is the game that can return Halo to being a source of inspiration for the industry. All hands on deck.

I feel like major investments into MCC, beyond QoL improvements will have diminishing returns.

I said it before and I'll say it again, but the future of Halo lies in social and forge. They seriously need to look to roblox for inspiration - creators can make a gametype or playlist server, set it up for matchmaking and/or ranking, interact with subscribers and create a community around their favorite ways to play. This Reduces the need for the developer to guess what players would like to play - let the players build it. 343 would just have to make sure they constantly provide and improve the tools and materials creators use to build.

Last edited:

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
MCC and remakes are cool and all but I hope they put all their efforts into making sure that Infinity is the game that can return Halo to being a source of inspiration for the industry. All hands on deck.

I feel like major investments into MCC, beyond QoL improvements will have diminishing returns.

I dunno, i think that if they added some cosmetic stuff that they could even sell, like new banners and stuff, i think people would absolutely buy some and it could help them make the game more profitable.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017

I don't think MCC is taking away resources from Infinite, especially since the number of people on it is so small. They have several hundred employees at 343, the vast majority on Infinite. Skybox Labs is also helping on development. It's getting a ton of resources.

I see it more as they have this small side team working on MCC because Infinite is so far away. Halo 5 hasn't been updated basically for a year, the pro scene is dead, they felt like they have some kind of obligation to fans to do something for them while we wait.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i could see e3 2019 getting the multiplayer showing with an announcement of "flighting" coming later in the year. SP e3 2020

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think MCC is taking away resources from Infinite, especially since the number of people on it is so small. They have several hundred employees at 343, the vast majority on Infinite. Skybox Labs is also helping on development. It's getting a ton of resources.

I see it more as they have this small side team working on MCC because Infinite is so far away. Halo 5 hasn't been updated basically for a year, the pro scene is dead, they felt like they have some kind of obligation to fans to do something for them while we wait.

I know MCC team is small, as it should be. But remastering H3 and/or Reach to get the anniversary treatment would require some extra resources.

I think what they are doing now with MCC is the right approach. But don't expect any big content updates.

I dunno, i think that if they added some cosmetic stuff that they could even sell, like new banners and stuff, i think people would absolutely buy some and it could help them make the game more profitable.

Yeah Maybe. But I think making QoL improvements for players who have already paid should have a much higher priority than efforts to squeeze more cash out of them.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Linda and Kelly in a 1vs1 on Ivory Tower?

Also, I still can't get over Linda's ugly helmet.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I know MCC team is small, as it should be. But remastering H3 and/or Reach to get the anniversary treatment would require some recourse.

I think what they are doing now with MCC is the right approach. But don't expect any big content updates.

Yeah Maybe. But I think making QoL improvements for players who have already paid should have a much higher priority than efforts to squeeze more cash out of them.
Oh, I definitely don't expect them to make any major content updates. I think if something like that was in the cards, they would've said as much already. I'm into the QoL updates, though, and I'm looking forward to trying out the modern aiming patch tomorrow. That's a thing they're doing that I didn't even know I wanted and hopefully more of their MCC updates are in that style.

I'm also hoping they continue to support Halo esports in a serious way that isn't this grassroots stuff. Like, they need to do a real H3 circuit backed by 343 with real prize pools that keep the pros with Halo and not switching to other games.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
there's an aiming patch coming for MCC?
Yup!
Right now as well the team is currently working on an additional feature that will allow players to toggle between classic input (currently in game) and an updated version that will be more akin to Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo 4 input for aiming.
This has been in the insider flights this past weekend and I've seen people raving about it. It's up tomorrow for the retail release and I'm eager to give it a shot.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Oh that is interesting!!

I just REALLY hope the aiming i Infinite isn't anything like halo 5 where i literally had to test different sensitivies, accelerations and alter deadzones to "feel" right. but even then i still had a lot of squirrelly moments.

pray to gravemind

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Well, luke cage's armor wasn't even armor to me. more like a body suit with backpack straps buckled over his chest.

man... now im having bad memories of all of the halo 5 armors. lol

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Well, luke cage's armor wasn't even armor to me. more like a body suit with backpack straps buckled over his chest.

man... now im having bad memories of all of the halo 5 armors. lol
The best ones are all the classic armors and they're either locked behind REQs or you get gifted the pack that specifically unlocks all of them.

What I'm saying is EOD for life.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that is interesting!!

I just REALLY hope the aiming i Infinite isn't anything like halo 5 where i literally had to test different sensitivies, accelerations and alter deadzones to "feel" right. but even then i still had a lot of squirrelly moments.

pray to gravemind
My only real issue with h5 aiming is slow turn. Was there ever anything said about that? Still seems to plague me

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
linda's thousand-eye look is the only one of the main new armors that seemed kinda suspect to me, i liked the rest. Also honestly if you go back and look at the mark VI, it's kind of always looked like a bodysuit with a few things strapped to it. the 343 era designs at least make that seem a bit more intentional.

halo 1 was the only time it seemed like what you'd expect when you hear "heavy armor", imo at least.

Oct 25, 2017
linda's thousand-eye look is the only one of the main new armors that seemed kinda suspect to me, i liked the rest. Also honestly if you go back and look at the mark VI, it's kind of always looked like a bodysuit with a few things strapped to it. the 343 era designs at least make that seem a bit more intentional.

halo 1 was the only time it seemed like what you'd expect when you hear "heavy armor", imo at least.

Just another reason it's the best armor :)

(But yeah, it feels much more integrated than the later ones.)

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Just another reason it's the best armor :)

(But yeah, it feels much more integrated than the later ones.)
I completely agree, it's always been my fav.

bout that stinkles tweet, I think he was saying that the snow visuals were not representative of what snow will look like in the game. as in, this was probably just photoshopped on an existing image and not done with their actual in-game snow tech.

I would expect at least one snowy environment, they're not uncommon in halo after all, but dynamic weather seems a bit of a stretch to imply from this.

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
Genuinely interested in the engine tech. Halo engines in the past have been amazing for the things included and I can't imagine Infinity is going to have anything but a solid foundation.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
You know the thirst for Halo: Infinite info is real, when people read too much into Stinkle's tweet and create threads based on it. There's probably a speculation video about it, too, by now. lol

Genuinely interested in the engine tech. Halo engines in the past have been amazing for the things included and I can't imagine Infinity is going to have anything but a solid foundation.

Same. Good to see that Chris Lee actually found some time to talk a little about Halo: Infinite and the engine.

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how these wide environments will be handled.

An evolution of the ODST format, where missions are activated with more traditional level design? A hybrid? Or maybe it's just classic Halo that favors larger wide open spaces at times?

At this point I'd say being conservative that it's more likely to be a hub/spoke model like what could have been for Halo 5 seems more likely. If it truly is open-world, that comes with challenges (I've never played an open-world game that had a good linear story that connected to the rest of it, and especially these days I find they tend to suffer from "dump crap onto the mini map and follow these arrows" design.)

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
At this point I'd say being conservative that it's more likely to be a hub/spoke model like what could have been for Halo 5 seems more likely. If it truly is open-world, that comes with challenges (I've never played an open-world game that had a good linear story that connected to the rest of it, and especially these days I find they tend to suffer from "dump crap onto the mini map and follow these arrows" design.)
Was it ever confirmed (even by passive evidence) that this was the plan for Halo 5, or only widespread rumors?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys get all that info from a random tweet like that. It says nothing.
well between the snow comment and the water comment, it didn't seem like much of a stretch that both could be manipulated at will. tech and systems like that are common place in open world games, less so in other genres. didnt seem like a stretch to me at the time, especially coupled with the rest of the tweet and fairly common speculation based on the announcement trailer.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for a Hub and Spoke design myself- something more akin to ODST or Mass Effect.

Even if there's no dynamic weather, It would be cool to revisit areas that look and play different due to season changes.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i can't off the top of my head think of an open world game with dynamically changing seasons. even forza 4 isn't like an actual realistic depiction of the weather changing, they just load new assets and physics into the map instantly. it's usually either the seasons changing at specific points in the game, or like, there's snow in this corner of the map, falling leaves in this valley, bright green in this forest, ect. Rain and storms, sure. I could see that being a thing here too.

I honestly don't know what I want. I'm sure whatever idea they're getting at with the feel of the e3 trailer will be cool. as long as that feel of exploration is replicated through whatever systems they use, i'll be down.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
i can't off the top of my head think of an open world game with dynamically changing seasons. even forza 4 isn't like an actual realistic depiction of the weather changing, they just load new assets and physics into the map instantly. it's usually either the seasons changing at specific points in the game, or like, there's snow in this corner of the map, falling leaves in this valley, bright green in this forest, ect. Rain and storms, sure. I could see that being a thing here too.

I honestly don't know what I want. I'm sure whatever idea they're getting at with the feel of the e3 trailer will be cool. as long as that feel of exploration is replicated through whatever systems they use, i'll be down.

I can't imagine there would be dynamically changing seasons. In order to tell a time sensitive story, they would need narrative control over the passage of time. So yeah, maybe it's always winter in one part of the map, or maybe you return to an area in a later part of the game and the season has changed.

Dynamic weather, though, could be a thing w/o dynamic seasons.

malus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a fan of the open world halo idea. I'd much rather have a level based story but with large relatively open areas where you can do objectives in any order with linear sections in between. Similar to the level Halo and Silent Cartographer in CE.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of the open world halo idea. I'd much rather have a level based story but with large relatively open areas where you can do objectives in any order with linear sections in between. Similar to the level Halo and Silent Cartographer in CE.

I like this idea.

I also like the idea of a hub world that basically acts a launcher for traditional missions - a mix of linear sections and open areas that can be tackled as the player sees fit.

I also like the idea of some missions having secondary and maybe tertiary objectives that don't need to be completed, but would alter the game in some way going forward.

I think a fully open world, where the player moves at her own pace, would hurt the story telling

Last edited:

m23

Oct 25, 2017

That's my main fear if Infinite is indeed full on open world. Open world games just don't do it for me when it comes to a story with focus, though I have yet to play RDR2. The last good open world game with an engaging story for me was GTA4.

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
I'm absolutely down for an open Halo. Some of my favourite levels in Halo games were the ones that were more open and allowed for a bit of exploration, like in Halo CE.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

I always liked that approach. It creates the illusion of choice and open world-ness in an otherwise linear game.

ONI Swordbase from Halo Reach is the last mission that I remember doing this. Is there one from Halo 4 or 5 that I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.